Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Ok, please chime in: who has DSE, and who doesn't?
No DSE on my 70"; ran the DSE test on the YouTube link, but I didn't notice any problems. I believe any motion blur that I'm seeing is from the poor cable TV feed. Blu-rays are superb. My main issue with this TV continues to be its poor off-angle PQ

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Quote:

Ok, please chime in: who has DSE, and who doesn't?
No DSE on my 70"; ran the DSE test on the YouTube link, but I didn't notice any problems. I believe any motion blur that I'm seeing is from the poor cable TV feed. Blu-rays are superb. My main issue with this TV continues to be its poor off-angle PQ

That DSE test I supplied is not very good now that I've had a chance to beat it up on the TV itself. The first parts of it are useless and I believe are attempting to test something other than DSE. The last part with the washed out gray picture of the tree is precisely what you want, but it's moving so fast and stays on for so short that it's a crummy test.

Looking for a better one online.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more stray comment. The design of the picture settings, and when things are grayed out vs. not grayed out is not entirely clear. I've switched to custom and ended up not having full control when done through the remote's "options" button, but when done through the "home" button I had full control.

The UI part of my software engineering background is not exactly psyched about the two-ways-in to those settings.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

It says "Limit 1 per Household" on it still, but the price shot to $3199. I think you guys ended up getting the benefit of a cataloging mistake.

Nope was in store only as part of their huge anniversary sale. Wasn't a price mistake.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

Quote:

It says "Limit 1 per Household" on it still, but the price shot to $3199. I think you guys ended up getting the benefit of a cataloging mistake.

Nope was in store only as part of their huge anniversary sale. Wasn't a price mistake.

Well all I'd have to do is drive roughly 1000 miles then.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 139
1000 miles to save $900 over Costco or $1100 over Amazon. I'd probably do it.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:10 PM

I picked up the 50" on Friday and I would say it has DSE. I only notice it on white/grey backgrounds though when the camera is panning left-right. As such, you can see it in hockey the most, otherwise it's not typically noticeable. I'm kind of used to this effect though since my monitor (Dell U2711) suffers from a similar fate due to it's coating.

It's definitely a lot more glossy then I had expected. No visible backlight bleed though and no cloudiness. I do notice that HD content seems to be a must, SD content looks worse than my previous KDL-46V5100. Also it seems the built-in apps have surprisingly good PQ too, the demo clips from the Sony app look superb and even playing YouTube looks great too.

I can't seem to get Miracast/screen mirroring to work fully with my Nexus 4. I have to disable HDCP on the phone just to get anything to display, but it's extremely laggy and basically unusable. It didn't work at all out of the box though, only worked after the software updates, so maybe future updates will improve upon this.

ARC works perfectly with my Denon AVR-1612 along with CEC.

Mine seems to sit straight and level, though it took a bit of wiggling to get it to fully sit into the stand properly. Before that, it was tilted back quite a bit.

Still tinkering with settings though, probably will have to get a calibration disk to assist.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom View Post

Mine seems to sit straight and level, though it took a bit of wiggling to get it to fully sit into the stand properly. Before that, it was tilted back quite a bit.

I still don't understand this.

There is no way for it to fully sit in further than I have it because the screw holes in the legs line up with the holes in the TV with a very tight tolerance. If the screws are in, there's no more wiggling to go.

Did you find it possible to screw it in only partially inserted? How?

Old 05-19-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Is it possible to use some kind of washer or spacer to level things out?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:47 PM

Any recommendations on a good wall mount that works with this TV? I ordered a low-profile mount from Monoprice, but I'm concerned there won't be enough clearance after receiving the TV. It looks like the bottom part of the back protrudes out a solid 1" more than where the wall mount would fasten to the back of the TV. Ideally I'd like as low a profile mount as will work with this TV.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:

There is no way for it to fully sit in further than I have it because the screw holes in the legs line up with the holes in the TV with a very tight tolerance. If the screws are in, there's no more wiggling to go.

I wasn't really checking the screw holes until I had the screen fully seated and straight. Granted, the 50" is lighter and shorter than the other models too. It also only uses a total of 2 screws where as the bigger units use 4 I think.

I imagine you could just beef up the feet on the stand to make it tilt whatever way you need it to.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom View Post

Quote:

I wasn't really checking the screw holes until I had the screen fully seated and straight. Granted, the 50" is lighter and shorter than the other models too. It also only uses a total of 2 screws where as the bigger units use 4 I think.

I imagine you could just beef up the feet on the stand to make it tilt whatever way you need it to.

Yeah, I thought through stuff like that and I always return to the point: I paid $1750 for it.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM

Liked: 13
I got Best Buy to pm Frys 1599, it took me 2 hours of waiting on management etc., this was Friday when fry's still had it in stock.

It's coming in today, and i'm pretty stoked about it, but one thing i'm not sure about is with a deal like this what's the best warranty to get?

I've heard horror stories about BB warranty, so I was thinking SquareTrade which is $99 from costco, but from SqT I heard they always send a repair tech out, and if they cant fix it give you the price you paid minus the repair tech visit.

So at 1599 say a tech comes out for $600 and cant fix it, they'll give me 1000. I wouldn't be able to get something comparible for that price.

Whats the best thing to do?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclucky04 View Post

I got Best Buy to pm Frys 1599, it took me 2 hours of waiting on management etc., this was Friday when fry's still had it in stock.

It's coming in today, and i'm pretty stoked about it, but one thing i'm not sure about is with a deal like this what's the best warranty to get?

I've heard horror stories about BB warranty, so I was thinking SquareTrade which is $99 from costco, but from SqT I heard they always send a repair tech out, and if they cant fix it give you the price you paid minus the repair tech visit.

So at 1599 say a tech comes out for $600 and cant fix it, they'll give me 1000. I wouldn't be able to get something comparible for that price.

Whats the best thing to do?

Thanks!

The tech doesn't just "come out for $600" unless he's done something big like attempting replacing the panel. He doesn't just show up, look, and charge $600.

And also realize that as time goes on, the value of your set (in terms of replacement cost for that particular model, or ones comparable to it) is dropping like a rock.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:

The tech doesn't just "come out for $600" unless he's done something big like attempted replacing the panel. He doesn't just show up, look, and charge $600.

And also realize that as time goes on, the value of your set (in terms of replacement cost for that particular model, or ones comparable to it) is dropping like a rock.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I see, i'm pretty uninformed when it comes to this, what would you recommend then, a square trade warranty seems the best option from what I can tell.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

The tech doesn't just "come out for $600" unless he's done something big like attempted replacing the panel. He doesn't just show up, look, and charge $600.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I see, i'm pretty uninformed when it comes to this, what would you recommend then, a square trade warranty seems the best option from what I can tell.

I spent hours digging and digging and digging up options for a new TV and absolutely no one seems to agree on anything, so I will be using square trade on my current one (before 30 days are up<---keep an eye on the clock). Get it directly from Costco, not from another site, and if you're lucky enough to buy the TV itself from Costco, you effectively get an additional year because the initial year is doubled and then the 3 year addon starts.

I can tell you that I did pay through the nose for a Best Buy warranty on my phone, and I'll never EVER use them again.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I spent hours digging and digging and digging up options for a new TV and absolutely no one seems to agree on anything, so I will be using square trade on my current one (before 30 days are up<---keep an eye on the clock). Get it directly from Costco, not from another site, and if you're lucky enough to buy the TV itself from Costco, you effectively get an additional year because the initial year is doubled and then the 3 year addon starts.

I can tell you that I did pay through the nose for a Best Buy warranty on my phone, and I'll never EVER use them again.

BB wanted almost 400 bucks for the 3 year warranty, I was like... a third of the cost of the tv? really?

Thanks! I did just find that sony offers an extended warranty 3 years available for 149, they send you a pre-paid postage box to send it back if it needs to be replaced and everything. Since this is a sony product maybe that would be a better route to go.
Does anyone have experience with sony extended warranty?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

BB wanted almost 400 bucks for the 3 year warranty, I was like... a third of the cost of the tv? really?

Thanks! I did just find that sony offers an extended warranty 3 years available for 149, they send you a pre-paid postage box to send it back if it needs to be replaced and everything. Since this is a sony product maybe that would be a better route to go.
Does anyone have experience with sony extended warranty?

Thanks

Post this as a general question in the "Flat Panel General and new FP Tech" forum.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

That can't be right. Did they quote you for the 70" model? I do remember though that they were always too expensive. The warranty for their $1500 TV last year IIRC was something ~249, which I already found excessive.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Yea i thought it was absurd too, it was 379 or 369 something like that. I'll post it in general, I am curious about the sony warranty vs squaretrade.

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Squaretrade's warranty is interesting in that they will go all the way up to the total originally paid for the set, no matter how long you've had it, but that is also the limit of their total payout. If you buy a 1000 dollar set that's the total amount they will pay out during the term of the wty. So if your $1000 dollar set goes bad and they pay $400 to repair it that leaves $600 for any future repairs or replacements. If it fails a second time they will not go over that $600 for repair or replacement, anything over that $600 comes out of your pocket. With BB or Sears wty if the set fails a second time they will still go for the full repair or replacement with no money out of pocket from you. Also, with Sears (but not BB) if they replace your set the remaining term of the wty is in full force on the replacement set.

This is for information only, not a knock on Squaretrade (we have Squaretrade plans on two sets bought from Costco). It's important to know what you're getting for your money with these plans so you understand why BB or Sears is more expensive. Even with the limits the Squaretrade plan is good value for money as long as you're aware of those limits.

Steve S.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Does anyone know how to connect a wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse to this TV?

Can you connect a USB receiver and the keyboard just works?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

1000 miles to save $900 over Costco or $1100 over Amazon. I'd probably do it.

You're not gonna get it now. It was a limited quantity no raincheck doorbuster sale. I went to my fry's and even the floor model was gone. I didn't know all this before I wasted a ****ing trip. Oh well, I guess I have time now to sell my 67" and wait til september.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrowyn View Post

You're not gonna get it now. It was a limited quantity no raincheck doorbuster sale. I went to my fry's and even the floor model was gone. I didn't know all this before I wasted a ****ing trip. Oh well, I guess I have time now to sell my 67" and wait til september.

We went to our local San Jose Fry's first thing Saturday for this Sony@$1599 but they claimed it was simply a computer mistake and the price for the TV went back up to $3200. The intended TV that was on sale was LG NOT Sony!!! They sold over 20 Sony TVs that Friday for those who came in. We paid $2600 for our TV at Costco last week and thought that was a great price frown.gif Congrats to those lucky buyers who got these TV for the "mistaked" price of $1600. I'll be keeping an eye out for these on Craigslist and willing to pay up to $2000 if anyone decide to sell their Sony 70R550 smile.gif
Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Time they lied to you man if you call and tell them to check PLU 7664957 they tell you everything, the first time I called the morning of the sale, the woman I spoke with told me that higher-ups had let them know they can't release ANY model information as the price is WAY below what any competitors are getting it at.
Also the ad that doesn't mention the model, but yea it was an anniversary sale and no mistake.

Sorry they told you that, maybe you can take it up with a regional manager and get something resolved since they lied to you.
TimeVu likes this.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Time they lied to you man if you call and tell them to check PLU 7664957 they tell you everything, the first time I called the morning of the sale, the woman I spoke with told me that higher-ups had let them know they can't release ANY model information as the price is WAY below what any competitors are getting it at.
Also the ad that doesn't mention the model, but yea it was an anniversary sale and no mistake.

Sorry they told you that, maybe you can take it up with a regional manager and get something resolved since they lied to you.

Why are you so convinced it wasn't a mistake? A mistake would still have everyone telling you what they told you.
TimeVu likes this.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Common sense tells me that NOBODY in their right mind is going to sell that TV for $1599 when EVERYONE else is selling it for at least $2600! It was clearly a mistake and kudos for Fry's to honor the $1600 price on Friday. I did some digging and found out that that mistake cost Fry's at least a few hundreds thousand dollars. Most store sold out that TV that Friday. Too bad we missed out frown.gif I'm confident that TV will pop up on Craigslist soon for around $2000 to $2200. I'm waiting smile.gif
Old 05-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Here's the in store tag, wasn't a price mistake. Most Fry's had the sony for their $1599 price. There were some stores that reported giving a sharp at that price.

My friend who also purchased the sony at Fry's said the sales guy told him they were selling the Sony at $600 below cost, but would get $800 for every one they sold (not sure from who). So they still made $200/tv even selling below cost. Not sure how true this is, but what he said.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Why are you so convinced it wasn't a mistake? A mistake would still have everyone telling you what they told you.

It was on the front page of the anniversary sale flyer listed at $1599 "major name brand".

(point being, the wording left some wiggle room for last-minute substitution if the brand wasn't correct... so it doesn't seem like a mistake.)
Old 05-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Liked: 28
at the Frys in So Cal, someone printed out the price sign of the television and placed it right next to the TV. the only notice of price mistake was the delivery cost.

the newspaper ad said $69 but actual delivery cost was $79

Also a few people reported they were able to pick up the TV Sat and Sunday in different states.

You would think, when that person removed the $2699 sign and placed the $1599 sign up it would send him a red flag like it's a mistake.

Also, LG doesn't even sell 70" television which is what the fry's ad displayed.

http://www.lg.com/us/led-tvs

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread