Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4256 Old 05-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Does vivid or standard have those on by default?

yes, vivid and standard have both contrast enhancer and black corrector on as defaults
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4256 Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Liked: 11
One thing I wanted to say not that it will matter to most people... this tv has good sound. I watch tv with just the tv and it is good. I do turn on the reciever to watch movies, but the tv sound works great.
TimeVu likes this.
post #813 of 4256 Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM

One thing I wanted to say not that it will matter to most people... this tv has good sound. I watch tv with just the tv and it is good. I do turn on the reciever to watch movies, but the tv sound works great.
post #814 of 4256 Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM

post #815 of 4256 Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I bought the 70" today locally. I have to wait 5 days for it to come in. I had a couple issues with a Samsung 60ES8000 I had to return. Can't get another one. Loved the picture quality. I am hoping the PQ on the 550A can be improved because the 60" looked like sh*t in the showroom. Overall the reviews seem positive so i have my fingers crossed.
post #816 of 4256 Old 05-28-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal6 View Post

Absolutely. I'm very impressed with it. It must be what occupies the thicker part of the unit on the bottom.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #817 of 4256 Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal6 View Post

Curious as to why you would watch TV through the TV speakers when most TV broadcasts are in 5.1 Dolby Digital, which your receiver can handle and the TV cannot.
post #818 of 4256 Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Curious as to why you would watch TV through the TV speakers when most TV broadcasts are in 5.1 Dolby Digital, which your receiver can handle and the TV cannot.

There's many reason. Saves power and cost less for quick TV session. Even tho some are brosdcasted in 5.1 its a waste, example: I was watching the voice and the only thing that came out of my rear speakers were people clapping and random audience noise. None of the music was even surround sound
post #819 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

Quote:

There's many reason. Saves power and cost less for quick TV session. Even tho some are brosdcasted in 5.1 its a waste, example: I was watching the voice and the only thing that came out of my rear speakers were people clapping and random audience noise. None of the music was even surround sound

What he said. In fact, I'll go much farther. Denizens of AVSforum are a small sample of the overall world, so audiophiles: don't go getting myopic on what matters to most of us.

I've heard home theatre sound, and quite frankly, none of it truly immerses me substantially further into the movie than plain old stereo is able to already (with subwoofer if you have it) from the front. And a lot of time it detracts from it.

• Movies: I'm already into a willing suspension of disbelief just by watching something on a rectangle in front of me. That suspension is far greater than the sound coming from the front. And I'm already suspending disbelief far more than I'd have to to hear "mere" stereo.
  • Non-Movies: Do you really need to hear ever better sound from TV shows?
  • Both: The image comes from the front. That's where the sound should come from. Putting sound "all around me" with the image in front makes no sense and can be distracting.

Using the TV speakers (if any good) is clean and a great solution.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #820 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:

What he said. In fact, I'll go much farther. Denizens of AVSforum are a small sample of the overall world, so audiophiles: don't go getting myopic on what matters to most of us.

I've heard home theatre sound, and quite frankly, none of it truly immerses me substantially further into the movie than plain old stereo is able to already (with subwoofer if you have it) from the front. And a lot of time it detracts from it.

• Movies: I'm already into a willing suspension of disbelief just by watching something on a rectangle in front of me. That suspension is far greater than the sound coming from the front. And I'm already suspending disbelief far more than I'd have to to hear "mere" stereo.
  • Both: The image comes from the front. That's where the sound should come from. Putting sound "all around me" with the image in front makes no sense and can be distracting.

For simplicity's sake, that's fine... but for the rest we shall agree to disagree.

Audyssey room EQ w/proper placement of surrounds adds greatly to the experience IMHO. The brain adapts well, so if you've never heard it before you won't miss it... and if you have, it will quickly become the expected norm. Alas, such is the reason why we keep upgrading. Does it ever end? smile.gif
post #821 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous View Post

Audyssey room EQ w/proper placement of surrounds adds greatly to the experience IMHO. The brain adapts well, so if you've never heard it before you won't miss it... and if you have, it will quickly become the expected norm. Alas, such is the reason why we keep upgrading. Does it ever end? smile.gif

"Never ending" smile.gif Well taken.

However the "If you've heard it, you will demand it" is an argument I've heard all my life. I've sat in sound and home theatre demonstrations at many steps during it's lifetime. I'm not convinced it'll ever matter. And it's not as though I'm in any way hearing challenged---my ears are sensitive, I've studies music, I at one point had a very good absolute pitch: I can easily detect what's going on---I just think people have lost track of how very immersing your basic 3.1 (or similar) is.

I've sent a humorous bunch of anecdotal anti-evidence to you via PM. You might appreciate it. It's horribly OT here.

post #822 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep in mind that my response to Fullmetal6 was based on the fact that he does have a receiver which I assume means he has a 5.1 set up. So In this case I was indeed addressing the Denizens of AVSforum or audiophiles. At least in my system both my wife and I find the separation of sound and overall sound field to be quite dramatic during most broadcasts. More so with action shows like NCIS, Law and Order, Castle, Blue Blood etc. As far as shows like American Idol and The voice, I don't know how the system is set up that you are listening to (you mention that you've heard home theater so I assume it's not your own), but it should have the majority (90%) of the voice coming from the center channel with instruments logically distributed between the fronts and rears and the sub doing what a sub does. As far as what matters to most of us, well that may or may not be true depending on which "most of us" you're talking to. For my "most of us" it would include those buying a 60" or larger 550 and has the room size to warrant that size, thus meaning there is ample room to place speakers that can take advantage of a 5.1 sound stage. Frankly I would never pay $2000+ for a TV and listen to a pair of $60 speakers (IMO no TV speakers in today's thin designs can qualify as "good") . My initial display investment warrants something better even if it's a $100-$200 sound bar, which will blow away any on board speaker set from any manufacture. Of course that's just me and I for sure respect your position, but I'd love to have you over to my house and try to change your mind.
post #823 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM

I would say most of what I watch is probably not in 5.1 or if it is I doubt you get much out of it when I watch tv. The other thing is most of the time I watch tv I lay down so the 5.1 would not work very well.
I do like it on for movies though. I like to crank up the sound and turn the lights off and get into the movie. And I would say the 70" is great for that.
post #824 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Oooops! I made a pretty stupid mistake here because I could have sworn that I had my light sensor turned off but when I checked again it was turned on. In turning it off and re doing my settings the results are quite eye opening. Here are the new and corrected settings. Probably not a lot different then you've already decided on.
Picture Mode Custom
Backlight 6
Picture 81
Brightness 53
Color 27
Hue 0
Sharpness 14
Color Temp Neutral
CineMotion Auto 2
Black Correct Low
Everything else OFF
post #825 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that my response to Fullmetal6 was based on the fact that he does have a receiver which I assume means he has a 5.1 set up. So In this case I was indeed addressing the Denizens of AVSforum or audiophiles. At least in my system both my wife and I find the separation of sound and overall sound field to be quite dramatic during most broadcasts. More so with action shows like NCIS, Law and Order, Castle, Blue Blood etc. As far as shows like American Idol and The voice, I don't know how the system is set up that you are listening to (you mention that you've heard home theater so I assume it's not your own), but it should have the majority (90%) of the voice coming from the center channel with instruments logically distributed between the fronts and rears and the sub doing what a sub does. As far as what matters to most of us, well that may or may not be true depending on which "most of us" you're talking to. For my "most of us" it would include those buying a 60" or larger 550 and has the room size to warrant that size, thus meaning there is ample room to place speakers that can take advantage of a 5.1 sound stage. Frankly I would never pay $2000+ for a TV and listen to a pair of $60 speakers (IMO no TV speakers in today's thin designs can qualify as "good") . My initial display investment warrants something better even if it's a $100-$200 sound bar, which will blow away any on board speaker set from any manufacture. Of course that's just me and I for sure respect your position, but I'd love to have you over to my house and try to change your mind.

as a note, a portion of this is directed toward my comment. I have the KDL70r550a with Vizio s4251-b4 5.1 sound bar / wireless sub / rear speaker setup. nothing fancy. but it gets the job done. Also, I just got this unit so I haven't watched a lot with it yet.

during movies where music is playing. I can hear instruments distributed through 5.1 surround sound. during TV broadcast such as the voice (because my wife was watching it the other day) surround sound was utterly useless for this. I am not sure if it's due to the broadcast from my box or what not, but the only thing that came out of the rear speakers was before and after the performance of random audience noise like coughing sniffing and cheering.

The other day I watched a basketball game and the only thing I really hear from the rear speakers were the audience cheering and clapping

I watched a few movies and some had 5.1 surround sound while other movies did not. I am not sure if it was depended on what station I was watching it on or not, but i'm just putting it out there that 5.1 surround sound can be pointless depending on what you are watching. I agree that using my soundbar system is a lot better than stock speakers, but I can perfectly enjoy using the TV speakers if I feel the need to not blast the sound for a sitcom or the news.

I streamed a few netflix movies and I enjoyed the use of 5.1 surround sound.
post #826 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai30 View Post

yes, vivid and standard have both contrast enhancer and black corrector on as defaults

This is also something I was never able to get conformation or details on, even regarding my SXRD display...

Just how much of these Advanced Settings are applied in Standard, specifically, do you know? Are they extreme applications, or more subtle? What other "enhancements" are applied in the Standard mode by Sony at the factory -- Edge Enhancement, Gamma (I suspect none), Detail Enhancer?

post #827 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

This is also something I was never able to get conformation or details on, even regarding my SXRD display...

Just how much of these Advanced Settings are applied in Standard, specifically, do you know? Are they extreme applications, or more subtle? What other "enhancements" are applied in the Standard mode by Sony at the factory -- Edge Enhancement, Gamma (I suspect none), Detail Enhancer?

at least with standard on this TV, the adv setting is not grayed out, you can disable all those settings and fully customize the "standard' setting.
post #828 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Liked: 16
Can someone with the 60" give me the measurements for the stand, Sony's diagram link for the 60" is broken....thanks!
post #829 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Bolopho. I certainly understand your position. Almost every broadcast that is HD is also in 5.1 and like all HD broadcasts, they are not all created equal. Many TV shows as well as movies that are not action oriented ,like say a romantic comedy, the director will use the rear speakers for only slight ambiance like traffic sounds or applause or nothing at all. I imagine it has a lot to do with production costs because sound editing is very time consuming plus you have to pay somebody to do it. Some TV shows like Blue Bloods, Law and Order, Revolution, Defiance, Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Justified, plus a few others spend a bit more $$$ on sound editing. Many don't. With most receivers you can switch between different sound stages that include straight 2 channel stereo and 5.1. I know from talking to different manufacturing reps that probably the least expensive component in even the top end TV's are the speakers. Not enough room for good ones and not enough money to develop good ones that will fit. Some of today's sound bars are spectacular, and HTIB's have become super popular. I have a pretty nice component setup but if I was starting over I'm not sure I would take that route again.
post #830 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

at least with standard on this TV, the adv setting is not grayed out, you can disable all those settings and fully customize the "standard' setting.

Right, that's true -- on subsequent Sony TVs (regardless, seemingly, of technology type) after my "A2020" series SXRD, the "Standard" mode was fully customizable like "Custom," opening up the Advanced Settings menu...

I suppose I will have to find out, via the rear projection threads here, whether MY particular model -- which does NOT allow access to the Advanced Settings -- applies aggressive or subtle applications like Edge Enhancement, Detail Enhancement, etc...

Thanks for your input.

post #831 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Now that you point it out I am not sure I have ever watched a tv show like those mentioned. I also do not know what my cable box is really capable of. I honestly rarely notice anything out of my back speakers. I even upgraded them years ago to bigger speakers because I figured the reason I didn't hear anything was my old ones where pretty small.
post #832 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM

post #833 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Carter View Post

Can someone with the 60" give me the measurements for the stand, Sony's diagram link for the 60" is broken....thanks!

Amazon says

Technical Details
Brand Name:SonyModel:KDL-60R550ADisplay Technology:LED-litDisplay Size:60Image Aspect Ratio:16:09Refresh Rate:120
Product Details
Manufacturer:SonyManufacturer reference:KDL-60R550AProduct Dimensions:11 inches x 48.6 inches x 30.8 inches; 51 pounds
post #834 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

Difference between Standard and Custom with identical settings is minor, but noticeable.

Standard has slightly more saturated colors and higher contrast. Custom is similar but more realistic tones in my opinion. After getting everything dialed in, Custom always wins on my set.
post #835 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 PM

Constantly messing with the settings. Current using the following

Custom

Local dimming off
Eco off
Custom:
Backlight 6
Picture 71
Brightness 47
Color 35
Hue 0
Sharpness 5
Color temp neutral
Noise reduction low
Mpeg noise reduction off
Motion flow off
Cine motion auto 2

--adv settings
Adv color enhancer off
Black corrector low
Gamma 0
Clear white off
Live color low
Led motion mode off
post #836 of 4256 Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous View Post

Difference between Standard and Custom with identical settings is minor, but noticeable.

Standard has slightly more saturated colors and higher contrast. Custom is similar but more realistic tones in my opinion. After getting everything dialed in, Custom always wins on my set.

I see; thanks for the details...

You're certainly not alone with regard to your penchant for Sony's Custom mode; 99.9-percent of enthusiasts use it. I like Standard as a kind of, I don't know...anti-hero, so to speak...I know it's not the most accurate of modes, but with Neutral color temp selected and all other baseline adjustments made via setup discs, Standard just "pops" more to me, and, on MY particular SXRD rear projection set, just makes it "easier" to adjust because the Advanced Settings are locked out, as I am a more "simple" person with the approach to tweaking...

That said, here is what my final settings are in Standard on my RPTV set via three setup discs and, subsequently, using a THX Optimizer on the Revenge of the Sith DVD to confirm most of these and set the Color control (via the "bleeding red box" test):

Picture Mode: Standard
Advanced Iris: Auto 1
Picture: 80
Brightness: 53
Color: 45
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 25
Noise Reduction: Low

These settings make Blu-rays look pretty amazing and detailed, and DVDs are none too shabby, either, exhibiting reduced compression noise and nice detail as well...

post #837 of 4256 Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Amazon says

Technical Details
Brand Name:SonyModel:KDL-60R550ADisplay Technology:LED-litDisplay Size:60Image Aspect Ratio:16:09Refresh Rate:120
Product Details
Manufacturer:SonyManufacturer reference:KDL-60R550AProduct Dimensions:11 inches x 48.6 inches x 30.8 inches; 51 pounds

Thanks, but I need the measurements for just the stand not the TV its self.
post #838 of 4256 Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanate View Post

I got 70" from Costco yesterday. Love it so far, pretty awesome.
One problem I have is sometime the screen went blank after the source switched the resolutions. For example, on blu ray player, from movie menu, hit play and the screen went blank while the movie start to play. I have to press 'pic off' button on the remote to turn picture off and on again to get the picture back. I have all options in ECO settings off and still have this problem. Is there something faulty or settings somewhere that did this?

To update on this blank screen issue. I found this review on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/review/RJP0JE5EY8YXO/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00AWKBZKC&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

And followed his instruction to unplug while they both are on and disconnect cables
This seems to solve the problem. Doesn't make sense but it works
post #839 of 4256 Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Now another problem.

My connection is like this

TV <-HDMI1 (ARC)-> RECEIVER (Onkyo TX-NR616) <-HDMI-> PS3

On TV, BRAVIA Sync is ON, Speakers option is set to "Audio System". Everything works fine until I play movies that has DTS sound (For example, Disney's UP, John Carter, etc), There's an error message on the TV that say "Unsupported audio signal. Please check the device input" and there's no way to turn it off or disable the message.
Note: sometime the error message is not showing but if I skip the move to next chapters, the error is back.

I think the problem is that the receiver is passing through DTS audio with the HDMI to the TV and the TV couldn't process DTS. Doesn't make sense why would the TV try to process the audio when it's already set to use "Audio System" Speakers.

I also tried turning off audio pass through in the receiver, still same problem.
post #840 of 4256 Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been following this thread for some time now...does this Sony compare with the 70 Inch Sharp Aquos models?
With there being only one model of the Sony 70 inch and like 5 of the Sharps, I know it's a tough comparison, but for the 745 and 847 is the Sony a serious contender / better alternative for less money?
I like the price difference obviously, but also the passive 3d and glasses is a plus, and it seems like there are fewer issues with this one than the Sharps. True? Is the Vizio even in the same ballpark quality wise?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page