Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by evimoore View Post

Backlight -- 5
Picture -- 81
Brightness -- 62
Color -- 50
Hue -- 0
Sharpness -- 14
Color Temp -- Neutral
Noise Reduction -- OFF
Mpeg Noise Reduction -- OFF
Motionflow -- OFF
CineMotion -- OFF

Advanced Settings
Adv Contrast Enhancer -- OFF
Black Correction -- Low
Gamma -- 0
Clear White -- OFF
Live Color -- OFF
LED Motion Mode -- OFF


Under Eco
everything is set to off except Auto Shut Off

My settings started almost identical to yours and contimue to stay very close except I have the Cinemotion set to Auto 2. I also watch a lot of movies but I watch even more TV and noticed one problem with my settings. Indoor scenes were a bit too dark. They were good but a bit difficult to see much shadow detail. For instance during an indoor office scene like in the lab with CSI. Outdoor scenes were plenty bright and looked fantastic. I finally found a happy medium by bumping the gamma to +1 and putting Advanced Color Enhancer to Medium. I then bumped the Backlight to 6 which allowed me to drop the brightness to 45. I've always been a big advocate of keeping advanced features off probably because that's what all the pro's say to do. Sorry, but in this case the slightly altered picture pleases my eyes and in the end we all agree, that's what really matters. The outdoor scenes are still plenty bright and the indoor scenes now seem more natural.
andy sullivan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Member
 
harrybnbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey all, this is only my 2nd post on this forum, first was on the vizio m-series posting. Thought that might be my next tv. However, after seeing this sony, the 70" 550a at hhgreg, Wow....I think this is my next tv. I know for the money I can't expect the same results as paying 10 grand or so. But I don't see to many people bringing any attention to any game changers on this set either. That vizio is out of the question, at least compared to this beast.

If anyone can help me find the best price at around this fathers day. That's when I think I'll have the funds to purchase it. Oh, I live in the Tampa, florida area, so this frys store I hear all too much about, doesn't do my any good.....Thanks
harrybnbad is offline  
post #903 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Member
 
harrybnbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I do have a question about 3d tv. I've never had one. What format of 3d to people use on sets like this sony. I see a few different ones. Like can I watch side by side 3d on the sony. Or is the a 3d format that works better than others????
harrybnbad is offline  
post #904 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Member
 
harrybnbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
But I do know having passive is a must......
harrybnbad is offline  
post #905 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If Passive is a must then you have very few choices. So far we've watched Avatar, Fright Night, and Life of Pi in 3D and found them all to be very enjoyable. The simulated 3D feature is pretty weak but I'm sure that is the case with any Active or Passive 3D TV. The Smart features are nice and include one year free from Netflix and Vudu. I'm pretty sure that Sony is using a LG screen since I think they are the only manufactures of 3D Passive screens. So if you want Passive I'd suggest Sony. As for pricing. Best Buy has it advertised in today's paper and Costco has it for $200 less. I would imagine you'll see a large variance of pricing during the summer and Fall of this year. It will depend on the 550 Series production vs sales along with how much they fear Sharp, and Vizio in the 70" category. During Fry's Anniversary Sale they had the 70" for $1599. I doubt you'll ever see it for that price again anywhere but you can use that as a benchmark price to compare from. Unfortunately there seems to be no professional reviews on this Sony. According to HDGuru Sony will not give him one to review. A shame.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #906 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Ripper64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was at camp for a few days. Picked up my TV today. It will be up on the wall shortly.

Ripper64 is offline  
post #907 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Newbie
 
evimoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

My settings started almost identical to yours and contimue to stay very close except I have the Cinemotion set to Auto 2. I also watch a lot of movies but I watch even more TV and noticed one problem with my settings. Indoor scenes were a bit too dark. They were good but a bit difficult to see much shadow detail. For instance during an indoor office scene like in the lab with CSI. Outdoor scenes were plenty bright and looked fantastic. I finally found a happy medium by bumping the gamma to +1 and putting Advanced Color Enhancer to Medium. I then bumped the Backlight to 6 which allowed me to drop the brightness to 45. I've always been a big advocate of keeping advanced features off probably because that's what all the pro's say to do. Sorry, but in this case the slightly altered picture pleases my eyes and in the end we all agree, that's what really matters. The outdoor scenes are still plenty bright and the indoor scenes now seem more natural.

I borrowed a lot of the settings from someone who posted them here Andy. Might have been one of your posts actually. I tried the lower brightness levels that were recommended in that post, but it just wasn't enough pop for me, so I turned the brightness level up a lot. I also decided to turn Advanced Color Enhancer to Medium and It's working out well so far. I'll probably be tweaking the settings a lot more over the next few days (when I have time) to see if I can find a more perfect balance.
evimoore is offline  
post #908 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by evimoore View Post

I sit about 10-12 feet back. I'm using custom settings right now. I've only had the TV for a few days and I've been using some of the color settings that other members have posted.

I'm at 12 feet with my 50 inch SXRD -- do you find the experience at 12 feet "immersive" or "cinematic" enough....do you get engrossed in a film at that distance?

IntelliVolume is online now  
post #909 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Member
 
harrybnbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Maybe I though too much out for my first post. Sorry. I still would like to know if there is one 3d format that works better with a passive tv than others.
harrybnbad is offline  
post #910 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

I'm at 12 feet with my 50 inch SXRD -- do you find the experience at 12 feet "immersive" or "cinematic" enough....do you get engrossed in a film at that distance?
You need field of view of 36-40 degree or more to be cinematic.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
Skylinestar is online now  
post #911 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

You need field of view of 36-40 degree or more to be cinematic.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

I know; I realize we're WAY out of the range of anything remotely resembling immersive distance -- or, depending on which sites you visit, we're at the absolute MAXIMUM you can be from a 50 inch screen -- but I was curious as to HIS experience with his 50 at that range...

IntelliVolume is online now  
post #912 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Ripper64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
MY 70" is up on the wall. Not too bad PQ out of the box. With a few adjustments I have it pretty good for now. I didn't notice any blotching so far. Definitely some flashlighting in the corners, especially the top right corner is pretty bright. A couple in around the center also.

There was a software update I took, and the TV rebooted. After it was done maybe 30 seconds to a minute later. I look at my internet connection and it was down. Could have turned into a disaster maybe. One thing weird happening. I have a surround sound system but wanted to try the TV speakers out. I can't get sound from the TV on HDMI 1 running my satellite receiver. I get TV sound on HDMI 2 input running from my blu-ray player. Anyone have any idea's what the problem could be ?. It is set to tv speakers in the menu, and not muted.

Edit: Found out what the deal was with the sound. My Denon 3808 CI doesn't support 3D. The reason I ran my Blu-ray player direct to the TV and the audio to the Denon. Once I ran the satellite receiver direct to the TV I had sound from the TV speakers.
Ripper64 is offline  
post #913 of 4225 Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Member
 
frisko4one5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
just bought the 50" today at best buy.. had them price match frys $899 deal since i rather buy it at best buy and get 24months interest plus had some reward zone money...also best buy is offering a very nice 3D blu ray player priced at $140 retail... not bad.of a price imo...havent had a chance to set it up yet to see if any defects are there but will within next day or two.. hope it can live up to the name since this is a great deal..

also just for FYI frys also has the 60" for 1399 and the 47" W802 for 1299..
frisko4one5 is offline  
post #914 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Newbie
 
evimoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

I'm at 12 feet with my 50 inch SXRD -- do you find the experience at 12 feet "immersive" or "cinematic" enough....do you get engrossed in a film at that distance?

Sorry dude, I don't analyize it to the extent you do. The picture looks just fine at the 10-12 foot range, that's all I can tell you.
evimoore is offline  
post #915 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Briant73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't taken a pic yet but the other photos on this thread showing it are a good representation of the issue. This issue really shows up watching any type of sport/action programing. Take away this issue and overall this TV is decent though I feel the video processing could be better but for me the "blobs" are a deal breaker.
Briant73 is offline  
post #916 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Member
 
harrybnbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok, how bout this, can I stream 3d content through my ps3 (ps3 media server) to this 550a tv. I try to keep all my movies stored on my pc hard drive for instant viewing. Iwould imagine I can keep things running through my sony reciever as always, ( it has 3d c pass thru ). Seems I read somewhere I might lose the 7.1 sound and only have 5.1......... I dont know. Any body else doing it.
harrybnbad is offline  
post #917 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,933
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

If Passive is a must then you have very few choices. So far we've watched Avatar, Fright Night, and Life of Pi in 3D and found them all to be very enjoyable.


Whoa, clarification: I'm fairly certain that Andy means there are very few choices for passive TVs (which I disagree with, see below) and is not talking about movies nor movie formats that work. Any 3D modern day TV will handle any 3D format from any 3D movie (Except for the once-in-a-while cyan-red glasses DVD's that show up rarely---like shrek).

Passive 3D tv's are forecasted to account for approximately 48% of all 3d panels shipped this year. And it's growing like crazy over active.

As far as the list of manufacturers, off the top of my head you have
  • LG
  • Panasonic (who just this year ditched active for all their LED-LCD's....last year they had passive on only their ET5),
  • Vizio
  • Toshiba
  • and now this year begrudingly, Sony.
  • In the article link above, Sharp may join the wave as well.

There's a lot of confusion going around as to who is actually making the Sony panels. AUO has had the license for FPR since last year (meaning 2013 panels I think---dunno). And they make panels for nearly everyone. There's another listed in the article link above too.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #918 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Member
 
elephant98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried out the PIP/PAP on this model yet?

My 61" Samsung DLP is on its last leg and I'm leaning towards the 70" Sony primarily because of PAP/PIP. I watch tons of football in the fall, so PAP is very important to me. Currently, I watch the NFL using PAP on my DLP via two Directv satellite receivers (one via HDMI and the other via cable input using coaxial cable). Two equal sized, side by side screens. For whatever reason, the new Samsung LED's I've been looking at only do PIP. A small subwindow is better than nothing, but not ideal. So, I've been looking for other tv's that have PAP and came across this Sony model. In fact, I didn't find any other current manufacturer that offers PAP.

I looked at the owner's manual and it is a bit confusing. If I read it correctly, PIP only works when you are connected to a PC. I don't know why this is. But, okay. However, PAP (which is more important to me anyway) should allow me to still watch two different games via two satellite receivers pretty much as I do now, using the same hookup to the tv (hdmi and cable input). From what I can tell, the main window will be slightly larger than the subwindow. But, i can deal with that.
elephant98 is offline  
post #919 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
CaptinCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kennedale, Tx
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Whoa, clarification: I'm fairly certain that Andy means there are very few choices for passive TVs (which I disagree with, see below) and is not talking about movies nor movie formats that work. Any 3D modern day TV will handle any 3D format from any 3D movie (Except for the once-in-a-while cyan-red glasses DVD's that show up rarely---like shrek).

Passive 3D tv's are forecasted to account for approximately 48% of all 3d panels shipped this year. And it's growing like crazy over active.

As far as the list of manufacturers, off the top of my head you have
  • LG
  • Panasonic (who just this year ditched active for all their LED-LCD's....last year they had passive on only their ET5),
  • Vizio
  • Toshiba
  • and now this year begrudingly, Sony.
  • In the article link above, Sharp may join the wave as well.

There's a lot of confusion going around as to who is actually making the Sony panels. AUO has had the license for FPR since last year (meaning 2013 panels I think---dunno). And they make panels for nearly everyone. There's another listed in the article link above too.



Passive 3D will be the norm for most of the name brand manufacturers moving forward due to the cheaper cost to produce. As for Sony and what panels they use, I read they were using LG's 2013 panels. (LG's LA7400 and LA8600 TV's) have had very good reviews on black level, contrast, colors, and viewing.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
CaptinCrunch is offline  
post #920 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by evimoore View Post

Sorry dude, I don't analyize it to the extent you do. The picture looks just fine at the 10-12 foot range, that's all I can tell you.

Wow. Okay; didn't mean to put a feather across a wrinkly ass here....in other words, didn't mean to upset anyone...just wanted to know what you thought of Blu-ray playback on your size screen at that seating distance...

No need to anonymously call anyone "dude" that you don't even know; it was an honest, heartfelt question because I too am a 50 inch owner at the same distance as you and was simply curious as to your experience, that is all.

IntelliVolume is online now  
post #921 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Whoa, clarification: I'm fairly certain that Andy means there are very few choices for passive TVs (which I disagree with, see below) and is not talking about movies nor movie formats that work. Any 3D modern day TV will handle any 3D format from any 3D movie (Except for the once-in-a-while cyan-red glasses DVD's that show up rarely---like shrek).

Passive 3D tv's are forecasted to account for approximately 48% of all 3d panels shipped this year. And it's growing like crazy over active.

As far as the list of manufacturers, off the top of my head you have
  • LG
  • Panasonic (who just this year ditched active for all their LED-LCD's....last year they had passive on only their ET5),
  • Vizio
  • Toshiba
  • and now this year begrudingly, Sony.
  • In the article link above, Sharp may join the wave as well.

There's a lot of confusion going around as to who is actually making the Sony panels. AUO has had the license for FPR since last year (meaning 2013 panels I think---dunno). And they make panels for nearly everyone. There's another listed in the article link above too.
I was absolutely referring to "passive vs. Active" technology and not movies and what will work. Regarding the availability of Passive TV choices. Two points. First, I think Sony is using LG panels but perhaps they are getting them from AUO, but I don't think that is the case. Second, my response about there being very few Passive choices was prompted because Harrybnbad specifically said he was in the market for a 70" display which limits him to Sony as of now since I don't think the Vizio 70" M Series has been seen yet. LG, Panasonic, and Toshiba also have not entered the 70" fray. It's not likely that Panasonic ever will and Toshiba has not been a major player in quite awhile. Who knows what the giants like Samsung and LG will do in the near future but I also agree that Passive is the future in 3D, especially if 4K become common place. Who knows what OLED may bring to the table but I will believe it when I see it.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #922 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,933
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Second, my response about there being very few Passive choices was prompted because Harrybnbad specifically said he was in the market for a 70" display

.......ah ok. Fair enough. smile.gif

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #923 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Member
 
lothian110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know current Costco price on the 70"?

Since the deal for a free Blu ray player and 3d glasses is gone, I was expecting the TV to come down by $200. It only came down by $100.
lothian110 is offline  
post #924 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Not sure about the blu-ray player but my TV had four pair of glasses in the box. I'm just guessing but I think that's probably just how they decided to ship the sets. Good idea.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #925 of 4225 Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Member
 
samurai30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian110 View Post

Anyone know current Costco price on the 70"?

Since the deal for a free Blu ray player and 3d glasses is gone, I was expecting the TV to come down by $200. It only came down by $100.

Got mine at Costco for 2,499
samurai30 is offline  
post #926 of 4225 Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've bought two 3D players in the last few months--a Panasonic and a Sony. Both were under $100 at Costco and came with HDMI cables in the box.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #927 of 4225 Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Newbie
 
JoeBoxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In case anyone is following this I received the replacement yesterday. The panel is perfect, no DSE or amoebas. The picture quality of this set is great for its size, I think the panels with DSE or hockey problems are early production. My original SN was 4001617 and the new one is 6010271. That's quite a different number, possibly a different facility or engineering change.
JoeBoxster is offline  
post #928 of 4225 Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Briant73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxster View Post

In case anyone is following this I received the replacement yesterday. The panel is perfect, no DSE or amoebas. The picture quality of this set is great for its size, I think the panels with DSE or hockey problems are early production. My original SN was 4001617 and the new one is 6010271. That's quite a different number, possibly a different facility or engineering change.

Good to hear that, just wondering what size is your TV? Btw my set with DSE serial starts with a 6.
Briant73 is offline  
post #929 of 4225 Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,933
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxster View Post

In case anyone is following this I received the replacement yesterday. The panel is perfect, no DSE or amoebas. The picture quality of this set is great for its size, I think the panels with DSE or hockey problems are early production. My original SN was 4001617 and the new one is 6010271. That's quite a different number, possibly a different facility or engineering change.

I was wondering that too (about the hardware revisions). Usually we EA's run a big risk. *Sometimes* we get the lucky ones of the batch that the later generation gets screwed out of, but usually if there's trouble, we get it. frown.gif

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #930 of 4225 Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Member
 
elephant98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant98 View Post

Has anyone tried out the PIP/PAP on this model yet?

My 61" Samsung DLP is on its last leg and I'm leaning towards the 70" Sony primarily because of PAP/PIP. I watch tons of football in the fall, so PAP is very important to me. Currently, I watch the NFL using PAP on my DLP via two Directv satellite receivers (one via HDMI and the other via cable input using coaxial cable). Two equal sized, side by side screens. For whatever reason, the new Samsung LED's I've been looking at only do PIP. A small subwindow is better than nothing, but not ideal. So, I've been looking for other tv's that have PAP and came across this Sony model. In fact, I didn't find any other current manufacturer that offers PAP.

I looked at the owner's manual and it is a bit confusing. If I read it correctly, PIP only works when you are connected to a PC. I don't know why this is. But, okay. However, PAP (which is more important to me anyway) should allow me to still watch two different games via two satellite receivers pretty much as I do now, using the same hookup to the tv (hdmi and cable input). From what I can tell, the main window will be slightly larger than the subwindow. But, i can deal with that.

Well, I got an answer to my own question, so I thought I would post it here. I asked a similar question on Sony's discussion forum and a moderator informed me that I could watch two diferent tv shows if I hooked up two Directv receivers to the tv, with the PAP feature. I'm happy to hear that.

But, I'm still interested to hear anyone else's experiece using PAP or PIP on this set. i.e., ease of use, quality, etc.
elephant98 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off