Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks, ya, I dont expext it to be anything like it had a 3d source. But not to be a complete useless feature too. Thanks again....

I cant wait to get it... Now I hope costco has a great deal in July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does this TV support MKV files off an external USB drive? Does it support NTFS drives or is it FAT32 only?
post #1083 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

So it looks like the soonest I'll get the 70" set is either late june or early july. The 550a. I've never had a 3d tv, I've done all kinds of research. So, looks like the sony is the best bang for the buck. Had the M-Series vizio panded out, I might have gone that route. Can anyone tell me about the 2d conversion. Is it any good at all. Or is that something I'm buying that is no good at all....
Thanks again.

the 3d upconversion works but it's not eye popping or anything. probably just like any 2d upconversion to 3d.

I've never heard of any 2d->3D thing being spectacular.  And it's probably a good thing.  Any over-zealous algorithm would almost certainly olympically botch the parts that it couldn't tell for sure was foreground or background.

Just not enough information once things are flattened.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1084 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Hey guys, not trying to start a war or anything...I'm just looking for a comparison.

Currently stuck between an LG LA7400 55" or this in a 60". The price is about $130 difference (in favor of the LG due to the free year of Netflix).

Between the two of them which has the superior picture quality? The 7400 is almost top tier for LG, but I've only ever owned Samsung so I can't really have an opinion between the two.

Thanks!!
post #1085 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

If the free year of Netflix is what is holding you up then you might want to check out this link.

www.sony.com/TVoffer
post #1086 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

FYI, 50" at frys for $799

add it to the cart to see price

http://www.frys.com/product/7665497

Wow that's a great price. And I though getting mine for 899 was a steal. Wonder if its a glitch or error in their system
post #1087 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I just got $240+ back from Amazon because the 60R550A dropped to $1369.  And today was my last day to hop on that too.

Cool.

Turns out, here's what happened:  (rough numbers)

2 weeks ago:

• Bought TV for 1740.
  • Free $110 blu ray player
  • 2 Free $10 glasses

Because of the bundle, they actually charge me differently:

• $110 for the blu-ray player
  • $20 for the glasses
  • $1610 for the TV

So the total is the same.

On day 14 (last day to do this) I discovered that the price dropped to $1370.

So I got $240 back.

NOW during the chat the rep said I could also return the free blu-ray player.

That would bring an additional $110 back.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1088 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 PM

How come I cant find a single listing on costco web site for any sony tv.? Is it cause I live in tampa, florida.
post #1089 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 07:41 PM

Ok seems like I might consider ordering from amazon. I've never ordered anything big like a tv before. It actually scares me to death. How is their return policy. Do I haveto pay. And on something this big, do they pick it up from my home. Of course, if the set is good, no defects I'd keep it. But if I had to return it, I'm disabled, I never be able to move it. I always buy large items from brick and morder stores. Which I usually have to borrow a truck for that.
But right now I see a great deal on amazon, and I think I'd qualify for thier 24 months free financing.... So before I order, could someone tell how returns work......Thanks
post #1090 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Ok seems like I might consider ordering from amazon. I've never ordered anything big like a tv before. It actually scares me to death. How is their return policy. Do I haveto pay. And on something this big, do they pick it up from my home. Of course, if the set is good, no defects I'd keep it. But if I had to return it, I'm disabled, I never be able to move it. I always buy large items from brick and morder stores. Which I usually have to borrow a truck for that.
But right now I see a great deal on amazon, and I think I'd qualify for thier 24 months free financing.... So before I order, could someone tell how returns work......Thanks

I believe its the same as any, they ship it on a big truck. You get called the day before for an appointment with a time window.

I've heard the TV return policy is excellent, but you will probably have to pay return shipping. I'd much rather buy a large TV in store as well, but I bought mine off buy dig tax free which saves me over $300 from the store.

I am only hoping for no dead pixels or bad light bleeding..don't think that counts as a defect.
post #1091 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I just bought and exchanged the 60" at amazon and it was a very easy process: The shipping company called the day before to set up a time for delivery and called again an hour before delivery for confirmation. After deciding to exchange, I emailed amazon and they immediately processed an order for a new tv to be shipped and arranged the pickup of the first tv when the new one arrived. I didn't even have to print a return label or anything, the shipping company had all the info.
post #1092 of 4269 Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

harrybnbad,

I just went through the process of ordering a Samsung PN64F8500 from Amazon. I was called by the Air Freight Company to arrange delivery and was given a 2 hour window. Two men showed up in the window, unpacked the TV, attached the pedestal and placed it on the stand. They waited while I connected my cables and made sure the set would power on. Unfortunately I discovered I am one of the few people that are sensitive to plasma trails and flicker. The TV was perfect, great picture but I just could not watch it. I contacted Amazon and simply told them I was not happy with the TV and needed to return it. No questions asked they had the Air Freight Company come back to my house and they picked up the TV. I was told that they would package it for you if necessary. My wife and I were able to place it securely back into the original packaging that we had saved. It was shipped back at Amazon's expense and the refund was quickly issued.

Since my eyes are not bothered by LCD/LED tech, I have ordered the 70" R550 from Amazon and it is in transit right now. I should have it next week. This is the third Large TV I have ordered from Amazon over the years and have only had good experiences with them.
post #1093 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 03:37 AM

So may I ask how mu h it cost to return the tv sets...Just seems that will start eating into the discounted price....
post #1094 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

There was no charge for the return. Full refund.
post #1095 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 AM

That would make me feel a little better
post #1096 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWPayton View Post

Quote:

I believe its the same as any, they ship it on a big truck. You get called the day before for an appointment with a time window.

I've heard the TV return policy is excellent, but you will probably have to pay return shipping. I'd much rather buy a large TV in store as well, but I bought mine off buy dig tax free which saves me over $300 from the store.

I am only hoping for no dead pixels or bad light bleeding..don't think that counts as a defect.

You still have 30 days to return it.

post #1097 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Positive stories about Amazon are endless.  There's a reason that people love to use them.  It's the same playbook that Costco seems to use: Don't give the customer a reason to not buy from you in the first place.

Here's my recent very positive return that I detailed here and in a dedicated thread.

post #1098 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How come I cant find a single listing on costco web site for any sony tv.? Is it cause I live in tampa, florida.

While costco is a wonderful company to work with, they're unusual in that what's offered on their website is a SUBset of what you might find in their stores.  I had to call around to see what was where.

I'm pretty sure the website is identical to everyone on the planet....I don't believe there's any IP6 address location identification going on yet.

post #1099 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 AM

You are correct about the online inventory. I work for Costo and our online shopping inventory is not linked to warehouse inventories at all. There are separate buyers for both and the local warehouses many times can get deals on certain tvs. No need to call more than one warehouse though if you are looking for something specific as they can check every warehouse in the country.
post #1100 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Ok then, cause I just went to costco, and saw pretty much every tv know to man. WOW.... But cant even find an online post of the sony 70r550a, that I just saw at the store on their web site.
post #1101 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB1 View Post

You are correct about the online inventory. I work for Costo and our online shopping inventory is not linked to warehouse inventories at all. There are separate buyers for both and the local warehouses many times can get deals on certain tvs. No need to call more than one warehouse though if you are looking for something specific as they can check every warehouse in the country.

It would be nice if they could tell you online if your local Costco had a particular TV in stock, Sams does that
post #1102 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Ok then, cause I just went to costco, and saw pretty much every tv know to man. WOW.... But cant even find an online post of the sony 70r550a, that I just saw at the store on their web site.

It's the same with the Sharp 657 Aquos and Panasonic S60 plasma TV's. They're on the shelves, but I can't find them on the website.

Perhaps an incentive to come inside and sell more memberships?
post #1103 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Anybody notice on their TVs that it looks a bit grey or washed out all around the screen when watching dark movies? Even when watching wide screen movies the black bars on top and bottom don't seem completely black. There is still a whitish Greyish tone to it. Any suggestions?
post #1104 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, this is frustrating.

Side by side on FIOS: I'll have a channel with slightly reddish faces with bright lavendar lips, and then the next channel will have everyone looking fine.

HOW on earth am I supposed to compensate for THAT?????

AVfile likes this.

post #1105 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Settings update. Now using:

Motionflow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto 1

The soap opera effect is there, but minimal. It benefits any program filmed with the "shakey cam effect" (handheld documentary cameras, Arrested Development, etc.) which otherwise gets too choppy on the big 70". However, smaller sizes might get by without it.

Cinemotion: Auto 2, doesn't appear to do anything... whereas setting Motionflow: High, Auto 1 looks strange and creates too many motion artifacts. Since the two work in conjunction, it seems the only useful setting is either Standard, Auto 1 as above, or leaving everything disabled.
post #1106 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Ok, this is frustrating.

Side by side on FIOS: I'll have a channel with slightly reddish faces with bright lavendar lips, and then the next channel will have everyone looking fine.

HOW on earth am I supposed to compensate for THAT?????

Can't.

In my 'hood, Time Warner pumps oversaturated colors down the line. Some channels are worse than others. I calibrate the TV to ideal Blu-Ray PS3 movie settings and then guesstimate for TWC from there... usually ending up with a calibration somewhere in the middle.
post #1107 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous View Post

It's the same with the Sharp 657 Aquos and Panasonic S60 plasma TV's. They're on the shelves, but I can't find them on the website.

Perhaps an incentive to come inside and sell more memberships?
To order from Costco on-line you must become a member. $55yr.
post #1108 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

Amazon contracts with a few different trucking companies but they all follow the same contract with Amazon. This contract calls for the TV to be delivered by a two man crew. They are to contact you the day before delivery and establish a delivery window (usually a 4 hour window). They will bring the box into your designated room, un box the TV, plug it in and make sure it turns on. They are not contracted to install the stand or place the TV itself. They usually will do this if you ask, especially if you offer them a $20. It's worth it for them to do nothing else but install the stand. I would not ask or trust them to put the TV on a wall mount.
If you need to return the TV for replacement or a refund simply call Amazon. They will contact the trucking company and arrange for pick up. They are contracted to place the TV back in the box and remove it to their truck. You have nothing to do except save the box. This policy is for 30 days but they are very flexible on this, up to 60 days in my personal experience. When asked why you want to return the TV DO NOT say because you don't like it. A problem must be there. Either a blob, or flash lighting, or just screen uniformity. They need to have some reason to accept a return. It's not like they plug it in and check it out.
As far as buying from an on-line company. Keep in mind that if you buy from a B&M that TV was delivered to them by a truck and the individual boxes are not opened for TV inspection. At least with Amazon you don't have to go through the hassle of re-boxing and doing the return yourself, like you have to with Costco.
post #1109 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Quote:

Amazon contracts with a few different trucking companies but they all follow the same contract with Amazon. This contract calls for the TV to be delivered by a two man crew. They are to contact you the day before delivery and establish a delivery window (usually a 4 hour window). They will bring the box into your designated room, un box the TV, plug it in and make sure it turns on. They are not contracted to install the stand

The CEVA guys did this for free.  When I spoke to Amazon about this to verify, the Amazon rep insisted that Amazon tells them to install the stand because it facilitates the "blue screen test" (as she called it).  Blue-screen is likely a archaic colloquialism for just the "turn on test".

post #1110 of 4269 Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM

I have had a 50’’ R550a for a few days. I can’t say I’m happy with its color reproduction compare to my old Samsung LCD.

- It has difficulty producing pure red. There is orange cast in bright red and purple tint in dark red.

- Not able to adjust color temperature accurately. “Neutral” is still too blue, “Warm” is too yellow. In both mode, reproducing good skin tone is a challenge for this TV. “lavendar lips” and “fake tan” appear way too often. Turn on the “live color” warms up the color a bit. However, that also introduces a lot of artifacts (e.g. pink/lavendar patches on the skin). Too me, the old Samsung produces more pleasing skin tone and more consistently.

- Overall, the picture seems “darker” and “dimmer”. It’s like there are more sunny days on the Samsung and more overcast days on this TV. Tuning down the “picture” setting and increasing brightness helps a bit, but that also makes the color appears flat and washed out.

I found these two pictures on the internet to show what it feels like:
The Sony: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/lglm7600_large20.jpg
The Samsung: ( Over saturated, but tune it down a bit, it should look good): http://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/samsunges8000_large12.jpg

I have been adjusting different settings in the last a few days without much luck. Not sure if this is because of the panel or there’s something I missed. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page