Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4256 Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

Then explain to me your incredible insight about quadrupling the pixel count in a 70 inch+ panel which is the hardest to produce in the business and make it feasible to be priced (<$3k) where current above average 70 inch+ TVs (which we can agree would NOT include Vizio) and above average 80 inch TVs are currently NOT priced under.

A 2560x1600 resolution monitor is still $1000. You are talking about a panel that is exceedingly fragile and expensive to produce. Unfortunately manufacturing processes are not going to solve this equation as quickly as the jump from 720p to 1080p.

You've now responded to anthonymoody and me with "you're fooling yourself" and "then explain to me your incredible insight". I'm not up for dealing with your defensiveness tonight. Nobody knows for sure, certainly not me, but our guesswork is explained and you're acting like you're backed into a corner. Again: it has to do with a sudden Chinese firm shipping 50" 4K's (a fairly high sub-pixel density) for extremely low MSRP's. That seems to have taken a lot of people by surprise in the 4K threads. How that translates to lower-density much bigger panels is anyone's guess, but we've already been surprised by the timeline once.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4256 Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Don't mistake sarcasm and skepticism with defensiveness.

My Home Theater
post #93 of 4256 Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmmm.....here's something that I didn't know until now.

Looking through the specs, the R550 series does not claim to support "simulview" (basically the Sony version of "Dual Play"), which allows for two gamers to each see their own screen at the same time. It's seems like an increasingly big deal in the gaming world: if supported, in 2 player games each player gets a full screen (albeit 1920x540) that the other cannot see.

It IS supported in the W802 line. Reading through reviews of other TV's, this seems fairly important these days. As a gamer's potential deal-breaker, this might push some of you over to the 802.

That would be a bit of a drag, because even though the R550 is "bottom-end" for Sony, it's still one expensive TV.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #94 of 4256 Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Looking through the specs, the R550 series does not claim to support "simulview" (basically the Sony version of "Dual Play"), which allows for two gamers to each see their own screen at the same time. It's seems like an increasingly big deal in the gaming world: if supported, in 2 player games each player gets a full screen (albeit 1920x540) that the other cannot see.

It IS supported in the W802 line. Reading through reviews of other TV's, this seems fairly important these days. As a gamer's potential deal-breaker, this might push some of you over to the 802.

That would be a bit of a drag, because even though the R550 is "bottom-end" for Sony, it's still one expensive TV.

It's really not expensive. The MSRPs seem right on or maybe better than average. The 70" will probably fetch for $2100-2200 on the street.
post #95 of 4256 Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrombly View Post

Quote:

It's really not expensive. The MSRPs seem right on or maybe better than average. The 70" will probably fetch for $2100-2200 on the street.

No, I mean that it's too expensive a TV to not include that ability in an absolute sense.

In any case, I'm not at all sure what you're basing this on but that will not be the street price anytime soon. A $2700 list price hitting $500-$600 off right away? That doesn't happen any longer in the days of the universal pricing policies of Samsung/Sony/LG, and potentially a lot more folks.

post #96 of 4256 Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I understand where your coming from, but if you put things in perspective, simulview was a technology that sony announced while trying to hype the release of their playstation branded 3D Display a few years ago. Only 6 games were relased between 2010 and 2011 that are compatible with simulview and not a single compatible game has been released in the past two years. (you can check for yourself here):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_PlayStation_3_games

And don't get me wrong. I am a gamer. As hardcore as it gets. (heck I intend to stand in line for the PS4 launch this holiday season and buy not one but 2 consoles. One for me, one for the wife). And the more features I can get on a TV set which are gaming related, the better. I for instance, play games with my wife all the time, and we just use 2 ps3s and 2 tvs in two different rooms. I just don't see myself ruling out a TV for the lack of simulview, or paying hundreds of bucks more for an set that includes the feature.

What if I go for a little bigger screen, just a couple of hundred dollars more, but this is really IT!
post #97 of 4256 Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I think each player would need special glasses for a passive 3d set. Instead of each eye seeing a different view each player sees a different view so you need one pair of glasses with two left lenses and one pair with two right lenses. I suspect active 3d sets can control the shutters in the glasses to make it work with their normal glasses. Still, special glasses shouldn't be expensive but don't know if there is enough demand for them. Of course you could try swapping lenses to make your own. Seems like it should just work unless there are some other technical issues.
post #98 of 4256 Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbz View Post

Quote:

I think each player would need special glasses for a passive 3d set.

No speculation about it, that's precisely how it works. One pair are L/L, and the other pair are R/R. Incidentally, they're also good for folks who want to watch a 2D version of a 3D movie; there are a lot of people I know who want to puke themselves inside out after 5 minutes of even theater-quality Avatar.

As far as cost, circularly polarized glasses are the cheapest things going. Among the wonderful parts of this technology.

post #99 of 4256 Old 04-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree that the set is priced a little high to be missing that feature, I hope that Sony's superior processing will outdo the sharp quatro 70 inch panel. Unfortunately, I have my doubts that the PQ will be any better at this point. The way it's looking, even the Sharp 650 series may be the way to go if 3D isn't a high priority. Sadly, this comes from a guy with six Sony HDTVs in his home.

My Home Theater
post #100 of 4256 Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just a follow up to the type of panel conversation. Not sure how this will affect this Sony model if at all, but Displaysearch has reported that LG Chemical is now selling the FPR film for inclusion on panels to AUO and BOE (China, also CEC-Panda, and China Star are expected to introduce their own FPR type panels this year) so there will be TV's with passive 3D with panel types other than IPS. Sony does have relationships with AUO so its conceivable that some of this model will use AUO MVA panels. It is also stated that Sharp is expected to introduce passive 3D in the future. It's unclear whether Sharp will also purchase it from LG Chemical or whether they are developing their own version of the film (and no word on what it means for Sharp's Active 3D, but I imagine they could run both). Good news all the way around.
post #101 of 4256 Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post

Just a follow up to the type of panel conversation. Not sure how this will affect this Sony model if at all, but Displaysearch has reported that LG Chemical is now selling the FPR film for inclusion on panels to AUO and BOE (China, also CEC-Panda, and China Star are expected to introduce their own FPR type panels this year) so there will be TV's with passive 3D with panel types other than IPS. Sony does have relationships with AUO so its conceivable that some of this model will use AUO MVA panels. It is also stated that Sharp is expected to introduce passive 3D in the future. It's unclear whether Sharp will also purchase it from LG Chemical or whether they are developing their own version of the film (and no word on what it means for Sharp's Active 3D, but I imagine they could run both). Good news all the way around.

Bargugl, can you repost please this to this thread here? It deals with what might happen to Sony with LG panels, and what possibilities there are for using LG technology but remaining Sony.

post #102 of 4256 Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 PM

What the heck is active vs passive 3D? Can anyone even tell the difference?

I dont even think the Sharp LC 847u differentiate active vs passive 3D.
Are the glasses different?
post #103 of 4256 Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM

Passive 3d use the same type of glasses as a 3d movie theater. Active 3d use active shutter glasses that essentially dim each lens in alternation at a high rate of speed. They require batteries and have to be wirelessly synced to the TV. Passive is generally a lot more convenient, cheaper, and easier to use. Active 3d essentially shows flashes of the left eye image and then the right eye image in alternation at a 120hz rate (60hz for each eye). The glasses sync up to match the tv and the brain then combines the two images from each eye. Passive 3D just uses the same polarizing technique as at a movie theater. To achieve it on a LCD, a special layer of film is added to the construction of the display panel. Regular polarized lens 3D glasses then allow the brain to create the 3d image.

Sharp only currently sells active 3d sets, but they are expected to introduce passive in the future. They'll differentiate the sets at that time.
post #104 of 4256 Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Passive 3d use the same type of glasses as a 3d movie theater. Active 3d use active shutter glasses that essentially dim each lens in alternation at a high rate of speed. They require batteries and have to be wirelessly synced to the TV. Passive is generally a lot more convenient, cheaper, and easier to use. Active 3d essentially shows flashes of the left eye image and then the right eye image in alternation at a 120hz rate (60hz for each eye). The glasses sync up to match the tv and the brain then combines the two images from each eye. Passive 3D just uses the same polarizing technique as at a movie theater. To achieve it on a LCD, a special layer of film is added to the construction of the display panel. Regular polarized lens 3D glasses then allow the brain to create the 3d image.

Sharp only currently sells active 3d sets, but they are expected to introduce passive in the future. They'll differentiate the sets at that time.

Added to that, it's important to note that the filter that is added to the display is actually alternating (left/right) every scanline. So every odd scanline is sent to the left eye, and evens to the right (or the reverse---I don't know---and it doesn't matter). This effectively halves the vertical resolution, which is one of the reasons so many people [used to] dismiss passive without actually seeing it in person. Frankly, passive is great, easy on the eyes (no eyestrain) and I passed on the 2012 sony sets because they were active. Glasses are dirt cheap, and never have to be recharged. Lots of back-and-forth in these parts on passive vs. active, and passive is slowly but surely gaining the majority. In fact Sony themselves begrudgingly said something like "We believe active is superior, but recognize that the public wants passive". I agree with the "superior" notion, but only on paper. IRL, active (IMO) is not that clean, at least not the demos I've ever seen.

post #105 of 4256 Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WHEN did they announce that? Or who did?

post #106 of 4256 Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 AM

Displaysearch stated that they expect Sharp to start producing PR panels in the 60" + range. It's not set in stone, obviously, but is merely Displaysearch's expectation given their market research (which would include some insider reports). Sorry for the confusion. Here's the free summary of the full report on passive 3D:
http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/130327_demand_for_3d_optical_film_rises_as_passive_3d_tv_competes_with_shutter_glass.asp

I can't imagine Sharp will begin producing PR panels without using some of them on their own products, especially since the market demand seems to be transitioning to passive 3D.
post #107 of 4256 Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Displaysearch stated that they expect Sharp to start producing PR panels in the 60" + range. It's not set in stone, obviously, but is merely Displaysearch's expectation given their market research (which would include some insider reports). Sorry for the confusion. Here's the free summary of the full report on passive 3D:
http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/130327_demand_for_3d_optical_film_rises_as_passive_3d_tv_competes_with_shutter_glass.asp

I can't imagine Sharp will begin producing PR panels without using some of them on their own products, especially since the market demand seems to be transitioning to passive 3D.

Ah ok. While manufacturers can create panels just to feed market demand (and not use that variant of them) it doesn't make sense for them to ignore that market demand.

I wonder how much longer before Samsung finally calls it quits.....

post #108 of 4256 Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM

I've got a 55" passive downstairs and love it. Panasonic's first foray into it (obviously borrowing an LG panel I'm sure). But now I desperately want passive 3D upstairs where my more advanced speaker system and more comfortable viewing is. So that's why I follow this thread. If when the TV comes out, sales season hits, and everything is right, I will not hesitate to upgrade. at 67" I don't want to downgrade size so 70" would be perfect.
post #109 of 4256 Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrowyn View Post

I've got a 55" passive downstairs and love it. Panasonic's first foray into it (obviously borrowing an LG panel I'm sure). But now I desperately want passive 3D upstairs where my more advanced speaker system and more comfortable viewing is. So that's why I follow this thread. If when the TV comes out, sales season hits, and everything is right, I will not hesitate to upgrade. at 67" I don't want to downgrade size so 70" would be perfect.

Keep in mind, this set does not have the "Dynamic edge lighting" that the 802 does. I believe it to be Sony's version of local-dimming and it *might* result in disastrously dark shadows & browns, etc. I had a Samsung briefly do that and it was absolutely miserable and made many scenes impossible to watch. If you receive it, rent "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" first and see if the dark and dismal scenes are in any way clear.

post #110 of 4256 Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Ok, so its the technology and how it displays the 3D. Do both display 3D blue rays at 1080p? I heard passive 3D is not 1080p and only active 3D is 1080p. I am not sure about this.

So if you take the same movie (let's say Avatar) and watch it on these two TVs (one is active and one is passive), can it can make a NOTICEABLE difference?
Active 3D pops out more and passive 3D pops out less?

I mean, at double the price for a 65" I am not sure it is worth the "active" 3d feature.

Sony XBR-65HX950 = $5200 (active 3D TV)
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666483159

Sony KDL-70R550A = $2700 (passive 3D TV)
http://store.sony.com/p/70-inch-HDTV%2C-LED-TV%2C-R-Series%2C-R550%2C-genie-whole-home-DVR%2C-3D-TV%2C-Edge-LED%2C-smart-TV%2C-Full-HD/en/p/KDL70R550A
post #111 of 4256 Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post

Ok, so its the technology and how it displays the 3D. Do both display 3D blue rays at 1080p? I heard passive 3D is not 1080p and only active 3D is 1080p. I am not sure about this.

So if you take the same movie (let's say Avatar) and watch it on these two TVs (one is active and one is passive), can it can make a NOTICEABLE difference?
Active 3D pops out more and passive 3D pops out less?

I mean, at double the price for a 65" I am not sure it is worth the "active" 3d feature.

Sony XBR-65HX950 = $5200 (active 3D TV)
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666483159

Sony KDL-70R550A = $2700 (passive 3D TV)
http://store.sony.com/p/70-inch-HDTV%2C-LED-TV%2C-R-Series%2C-R550%2C-genie-whole-home-DVR%2C-3D-TV%2C-Edge-LED%2C-smart-TV%2C-Full-HD/en/p/KDL70R550A

Comparing those two FP's has nothing to do with what type of 3D each uses. The HX950 is one of the best LCD's available today, only bested by the Elite PROX5's, and is their flagship (minus the new X900's.) The R550 is intended to be more of a value/entry-level option from Sony. That doesn't mean that the R550 won't perform admirably, I believe it will for the price, it's just comparing apples to oranges with those two models.

To answer your question about passive v.s. active, I would say that generally speaking, most people prefer passive over active regardless of the drop in resolution.

With passive 3D one eye sees 1920 lines of resolution and the other sees 540, which is where the "non-Full-HD" claim comes from.
With active, one eye sees 1920 and the other sees 1080 (hence the Full-HD claim.)

Passive 3D doesn't "pop" less, it merely has a lower total resolution when viewed, which to some is unacceptable. However passive 3D does offer more brightness which is a huge plus in my opinion, because active 3D is nearly always much too dim which in turn hampers the overall image quality. So for your Avatar question, I've seen the movie in both passive and active, passive on the LM7600 from LG and the active on the PZ950 from LG, and I felt as though the 3D presentation was superior on the passive display because of the added brightness, especially given of the nature of the film.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #112 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

With passive 3D one eye sees 1920 lines of resolution and the other sees 540, which is where the "non-Full-HD" claim comes from.
With active, one eye sees 1920 and the other sees 1080 (hence the Full-HD claim.)

No, in both models, each eye is receiving identical resolution.

2K:
In Passive each eye receives 1920x540 (Half vertical resolution, but full frame rate)
In Active each eye receives 1920x1080 (Full vertical resolution, but half frame rate)

4K:
In Passive each eye receives 3840x1080 (Half vertical resolution, but full frame rate)
In Active each eye receives 3840x2160 (Full vertical resolution, but half frame rate)

post #113 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks TGM, I knew this, but failed to demonstrate that knowledge. Poor information from me.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

post #114 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Comparing those two FP's has nothing to do with what type of 3D each uses. The HX950 is one of the best LCD's available today, only bested by the Elite PROX5's, and is their flagship (minus the new X900's.) The R550 is intended to be more of a value/entry-level option from Sony. That doesn't mean that the R550 won't perform admirably, I believe it will for the price, it's just comparing apples to oranges with those two models.

To answer your question about passive v.s. active, I would say that generally speaking, most people prefer passive over active regardless of the drop in resolution.

Passive 3D doesn't "pop" less, it merely has a lower total resolution when viewed, which to some is unacceptable. However passive 3D does offer more brightness which is a huge plus in my opinion, because active 3D is nearly always much too dim which in turn hampers the overall image quality. So for your Avatar question, I've seen the movie in both passive and active, passive on the LM7600 from LG and the active on the PZ950 from LG, and I felt as though the 3D presentation was superior on the passive display because of the added brightness, especially given of the nature of the film.

The HX950 actually is ok. When I watch sports on it, it is still kind of blotchy, even with HDMI and motionflow 960. Close up is very clear, but when you are watching NBA games, it does get somewhat choppy. Unless Time Warner Cable is just bad quality.

Wow, that is interesting. Almost all the tech junkies say that active 3D is better than passive 3D because it is 1080p. I'm not that sophisticated in this stuff, so I will just have to try it side by side and see if active is worth $2600 more??? For $2600 less, I might be able to deal with the 120hz in the R550A vs the higher 240hz in the HX950. But then again, my eyes are not as "picky" as some. I think, if they use passive 3D in the theatres, it can't be so bad right???
post #115 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:

2K:
In Passive each eye receives 1920x540 (Half vertical resolution, but full frame rate)
In Active each eye receives 1920x1080 (Full vertical resolution, but half frame rate)

4K:
In Passive each eye receives 3840x1080 (Half vertical resolution, but full frame rate)
In Active each eye receives 3840x2160 (Full vertical resolution, but half frame rate)

Will half a vertical resolution (passive 3D) is it a noticeable difference? Like can people really tell side by side (active vs passive), same movie?
post #116 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The HX950 actually is ok. When I watch sports on it, it is still kind of blotchy, even with HDMI and motionflow 960. Close up is very clear, but when you are watching NBA games, it does get somewhat choppy. Unless Time Warner Cable is just bad quality.

Wow, that is interesting. Almost all the tech junkies say that active 3D is better than passive 3D because it is 1080p. I'm not that sophisticated in this stuff, so I will just have to try it side by side and see if active is worth $2600 more??? For $2600 less, I might be able to deal with the 120hz in the R550A vs the higher 240hz in the HX950. But then again, my eyes are not as "picky" as some. I think, if they use passive 3D in the theatres, it can't be so bad right???

Again the price discrepancy has nothing to do with the active 3D vs passive 3D.

And I'm not sure I'd agree with the notion that "almost all tech junkies say active is superior to passive." While active does indeed give you full HD resolution, the lack of light output/brightness that the active shutter glasses induce is enough to drop the image quality significantly (in most, not all cases), at least in my opinion.

post #117 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 PM

I guess the only thing about this TV that is bad is the 120 Hz (motionflow 240)

I know the XBR are motionflow 960 (240hz) and the W Series are motionflow 480 (240 hz) This is native 120hz. Not sure if anyone can really tell. I have a 60hz and a 240hz.
post #118 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know the XBR are motionflow 960 (240hz) and the W Series are motionflow 480 (240 hz) This is native 120hz. Not sure if anyone can really tell. I have a 60hz and a 240hz.

I don't think anyone really knows yet if that's the "only thing bad about that TV" given that these units haven't even shipped yet.

And disregard those foolish MotionFlow numbers. They're about as accurate as the manufactured listed "Dynamic Contrast Ratios."

post #119 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM

I notice that this TV is "Edge lit" and the W series is "Dynamic edge lit"
What is the difference?
post #120 of 4256 Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think anyone really knows yet if that's the "only thing bad about that TV" given that these units haven't even shipped yet.

And disregard those foolish MotionFlow numbers. They're about as accurate as the manufactured listed "Dynamic Contrast Ratios."

Well, they're accurate, but where precisely the diminishing returns are for them is unclear.

Remember, the attempt is to defeat the sample-and-hold nature of LCD. When a pixel is turned on for the duration of the frame interval (say 1/120th of a second), if a moving object streaks across the screen and your eye attempts to follow it, the image is effectively smeared across the retina. The pulsing technologies (AKA backlight scanning, Motion Flow XR for Sonys, and a few other names out there that I can't quite remember as I type this) defeat this smearing by flashing discrete images onto the retina. Even though the pulse technology results in repeats of the same frame, the mere fact that they aren't pixels left on for the duration will lower the motion blur dramatically.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page