Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 4225 Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
code "friday50" @ solid signal apparently gets you a Darbee for $269 according to the Darbee thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 4225 Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I went Saturday to buy a 75" samsung, but I brought home the 70" Sony instead and I couldn't be happier. I have a 16x15 dedicated room and this TV is awesome for my space. The PQ is amazing to me, I just upgraded from a 40" samsung that I've had for about 8 years. I do have a little flash lighting, but zero banding. The flash lighting doesn't affect the PQ any so I'm happy.
Thanks tgm1024 and everyone that put their settings in the settings log.

Epson 5030ub
Carada 110" brilliant white criterion screen
Yamaha Aventage rx-a2030
Emotiva xpa-5
Panasonic dmp-230
Klipsch RF-7 ii
Klipsch RC-64 ii
Klipsch RS-62 ii
Klipsch RB-61 ii (Rears)
Duel Rythmik FV15HP
post #1713 of 4225 Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for the code!! Been on the fence with ordering one for quite awhile. I just couldn't justify the $319.
It's ordered. Gerry
post #1714 of 4225 Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannansid View Post

I received a new KDL-60R550A as a replacement for my defective KDL-60EX645 (The picture stopped working all of a sudden when I was watching SEN's youtube after 6 months). Are there any settings available for KDL-60R550A to completely get rid-off SOE? Thanks in advance for your help.

To minimize SOE on this set make sure both MotionFlow and CineMotion are set to off.

Keep in mind though that when you reduce the motion handling (to get rid of the artifacts), you'll be faced directly with the natural artifact of LCDS (and it's the worst of them all) based on the sample-and-hold nature of the display itself.  For me the motion becomes extremely uncomfortable to watch.  I cannot stress that enough.

setguillaume likes this.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1715 of 4225 Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This is probably a non issue but do sony tv's have the Cinavia Copy protection
post #1716 of 4225 Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

This is probably a non issue but do sony tv's have the Cinavia Copy protection

No, they don't. It's embedded in some blu-ray players. Read all about it:

http://www.cinavia.com/languages/english/index.html

Cinavia™ technology is a part of the content protection system included in Blu-ray Disc players.

Here, you can learn more about Cinavia technology, which may limit unauthorized uses of some movies and other filmed entertainment in Blu-ray Disc players.
You can also find information here about Cinavia messages that may be displayed by your Blu-ray Disc player if you are playing or copying an unauthorized copy of video that is protected by Cinavia technology.
setguillaume likes this.
post #1717 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 13
Are there any remote control apps that will work with this TV? It looks like Sony's TV SideView app is not supported. So would the older Media Remote work or any other third party app that others have had success with? Thank you.

Edit: I have an Android phone
post #1718 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Liked: 10
Still trying to love my 70..

I did pickup a Samsung BD-F5900 player and a few Blu Rays. Avatar seemed like a good choice. The 2d Blu Ray quality was truly great, it had all the color and depth you could hope for. The 3d is a no brainer, im not sure you can get better 3d than this, it was good on my LG LM7600 but even better on the big Sony.

The reason I bought the player was to get my Plex back (which was built in to the LG I had before). My 720/1080p movies started looking much better out of the Samsung (which has a Plex app) than they were out of my 720p Apple TV (Plex). Getting the Plex solution was a big deal which by the way is able to play AAC5.1 from the Samsung. So I am getting closer to being where I want to be.

Also.. I noticed intermittent connection issues using Vudu on the Sony. I always have to keep trying as I get the connection error message over and over. I'm pretty much a streaming expert from a variety of platforms so I was a bit skeptical of the Vudu error. Sure enough Vudu on the Samsung Blue Ray player is flawless (Wifi). It seems like an app issue on the Sony.

So what comes to mind on this set is 'garbage in garbage out'... if the source material is good the output on the set will be as expected. As I stated in my previous posts the output varies so much on channel to channel and is pretty bad on (most) standard def media. Its an adjustment because to my eyes the LG I had made everything look good.

I still think SOE is weak on this compared to the Samsungs (yes, i understand its not (maybe) an intended effect, although that is debatable if you consider the Hobbit). However, I agree, it is just about right on the Sony. I just considered it a neat trick.

Again, it's hard not to love a giant TV wink.gif
post #1719 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse68 View Post

So what comes to mind on this set is 'garbage in garbage out'... if the source material is good the output on the set will be as expected. As I stated in my previous posts the output varies so much on channel to channel and is pretty bad on (most) standard def media. Its an adjustment because to my eyes the LG I had made everything look good.

To puncuate my own point here... 'garbage in garbage out' is not necessarily a bad thing. This may be a matter of me just needing to upgrade alot of my SD media. The 720p + is quite good.

Thx

J
post #1720 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

To minimize SOE on this set make sure both MotionFlow and CineMotion are set to off.

I recently read on another forum, that in order to get these Sony sets to properly display film at its normal 24 fps, the motion settings should be:

Motion Flow: Off
Cinemotion: Auto 2

I've tried it with a number of Blu-rays and DVDs and it looks pretty film-like to me. My earlier settings in the thread's table has Cinemotion on High. I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. In the last film I looked at, I switched the Cinemotion back to High and the film looked about the same motion-wise, but it had a bit of a softer appearance about it.

Harry

[edit to correct my mixup in the settings. I was alerted later in the thread, but didn't want anyone getting mixed up by MY mixup.]
post #1721 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

I recently read on another forum, that in order to get these Sony sets to properly display film at its normal 24 fps, the motion settings should be:

Cinemotion: Off
Motion Flow: Auto 2

I've tried it with a number of Blu-rays and DVDs and it looks pretty film-like to me. My earlier settings in the thread's table has Cinemotion on High. I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. In the last film I looked at, I switched the Cinemotion back to High and the film looked about the same motion-wise, but it had a bit of a softer appearance about it.

Harry

I was only answering kannansid's question about how to completely get rid of SOE. I was not recommending that those settings be used in anyway. Personally I think I have settled on MotionFlow of Standard and CineMotion set at Auto 2. To my eyes things appear a bit better that way. If you go all the way to High and Auto 1, things are very smooth but a bit too much SOE for me. each to their own...
post #1722 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I was only answering kannansid's question about how to completely get rid of SOE.

Agreed - and I fully understood. Sorry if my slight non-sequitur confused the issue. I was simply using the occasion of your post to mention my "discovery" at another forum, and a change in my settings, at least temporarily.

Harry
post #1723 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I was only answering kannansid's question about how to completely get rid of SOE.

Agreed - and I fully understood. Sorry if my slight non-sequitur confused the issue. I was simply using the occasion of your post to mention my "discovery" at another forum, and a change in my settings, at least temporarily.

Harry

No, no, FWIW, I think both of your comments were helpful.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1724 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Cinemotion: Off
Motion Flow: Auto 2

Harry

It seems like you mixed up Cinemotion and Motion Flow in this post. Did you mean to write this instead?

Cinemotion: Auto 2
Motion Flow: Off

I just wanted to mention this so that no one thought you were recommending setting Cinemotion to off for film-based content.
post #1725 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To chime in here on something and follow up on many initial concerns about this TV roughly 1700 posts ago:

I may be in the minority, but I am in no way experiencing any distracting reflections from either the reflective SONY placard in the bottom bezel, nor the shiny stand.  Further, the looks of both have completely "grown" on me.

This is one sharp looking set.  (60").

Thought it was worth a chime in for potential buyers given how much angst there was about it all in the beginning.

setguillaume likes this.

post #1726 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

To chime in here on something and follow up on many initial concerns about this TV roughly 1700 posts ago:

I may be in the minority, but I am in no way experiencing any distracting reflections from either the reflective SONY placard in the bottom bezel, nor the shiny stand.  Further, the looks of both have completely "grown" on me.

This is one sharp looking set.  (60").

Thought it was worth a chime in for potential buyers given how much angst there was about it all in the beginning.

I agree completely. I find the design grows on me as well as the "shiny stand".
setguillaume likes this.
post #1727 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

After a week with this nest (70"), I love the design and all the features etc. initially found no issues with the picture . After a few days gradually started tonsee the clouding gradually set in around the sides now trroughout the screen . Watching a 3d movie like Prometheus terribly distracting.. After about a very annoying session with sony csr and supervisor. I called the local service co they suggested. In short he suggested if I want a better pic get a plasma. Which I a doing. This set goes back. Also after years dealing with amazon the whole retur process was not easy or pleasant.

post #1728 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

After a week with this nest (70"), I love the design and all the features etc. initially found no issues with the picture . After a few days gradually started tonsee the clouding gradually set in around the sides now trroughout the screen . Watching a 3d movie like Prometheus terribly distracting.. After about a very annoying session with sony csr and supervisor. I called the local service co they suggested. In short he suggested if I want a better pic get a plasma. Which I a doing. This set goes back. Also after years dealing with amazon the whole retur process was not easy or pleasant.

Was it sold BY Amazon (or fulfilled by them?)  Or from a marketplace seller?

post #1729 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Sold by them

post #1730 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

They won't do a pick up and exchange pick up first then refund then order.many ways very In convenient. and sony never again had whole new set up tv bd sound bar all going back. Said never a problem with clouding on this set I was first complaint

post #1731 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Silly question:

The tv's analog audio out jack is a 3.5mm stereo jack and NOT an RCA jack, correct?

I'm getting buzzing when running the wireless speakers. I have eliminated everything down to this: TV analog audio out (3.5mm) to transmitter's RCA jacks and then sent wirelessly to wireless speakers - I get a buzz in the sound.

PLEASE, I have eliminated every possible component, cable and even location. The TV transmits an audio signal just fine wired, but wirelessly and it introduces a buzz. I'm stumped.

Could be that BOTH 3.5mm to RCA cables that I tried are bad. Hmmmm....
post #1732 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

They won't do a pick up and exchange pick up first then refund then order.many ways very In convenient. and sony never again had whole new set up tv bd sound bar all going back. Said never a problem with clouding on this set I was first complaint

That's very strange Amazons usually very good about returns. Besides that I don't know that you should just give up on the R550A each set is gonna have differences, some are going to have uniformity or other issues and others will not that's the nature of all tv's, no tv is perfect!
post #1733 of 4225 Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Very strange. I'm going through an exchange with amazon for a different model television and they're bringing the replacement and taking the current one at the same time. Didn't have any issues other than having to get automatically transferred to the large shipment department.
post #1734 of 4225 Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The issue to them is I am not going to get the same tv the one I want is different and slightly less expensive this is from the large dept.. I buy a lot from amazon do not return much has been a nightmare

post #1735 of 4225 Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

Silly question:

The tv's analog audio out jack is a 3.5mm stereo jack and NOT an RCA jack, correct?

I'm getting buzzing when running the wireless speakers. I have eliminated everything down to this: TV analog audio out (3.5mm) to transmitter's RCA jacks and then sent wirelessly to wireless speakers - I get a buzz in the sound.

PLEASE, I have eliminated every possible component, cable and even location. The TV transmits an audio signal just fine wired, but wirelessly and it introduces a buzz. I'm stumped.

And before you think it....

I have tried 3 different transmitters, several different cables and 3 different sources. I've run the process of elimination on EVERYTHING. It definitely has nothing to do with the audio out jack, the transmitters, the cables, the location or the sources. So what's left? Another 3.5mm to rca cable? Nope, tried the exact same cables on another source and no buzzing.

It only buzzes when the audio out of the tv is connected to a transmitter and the transmitter is actually on. I place the computer right next to the tv hooked up to the exact same transmitter and cables and the computer can output with no buzz, unlike the tv. AND, if I plug the tv audio out direct to the speaker, no buzz. Only when a transmitter is on and connected to the tv. No other sources create a buzz when connected, only the tv. But the tv creates no buzz when connected direct to the speaker. ?????????????

Sorry for repeating myself, but I'm trying to head off any misunderstandings as I'm asking for help with this. Thanks.

For those that like a mystery, I will keep you updated. But I don't know what's left. Gremlins?
post #1736 of 4225 Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And before you think it....

I have tried 3 different transmitters, several different cables and 3 different sources. I've run the process of elimination on EVERYTHING. It definitely has nothing to do with the audio out jack, the transmitters, the cables, the location or the sources. So what's left? Another 3.5mm to rca cable? Nope, tried the exact same cables on another source and no buzzing.

It only buzzes when the audio out of the tv is connected to a transmitter and the transmitter is actually on. I place the computer right next to the tv hooked up to the exact same transmitter and cables and the computer can output with no buzz, unlike the tv. AND, if I plug the tv audio out direct to the speaker, no buzz. Only when a transmitter is on and connected to the tv. No other sources create a buzz when connected, only the tv. But the tv creates no buzz when connected direct to the speaker. ?????????????

Sorry for repeating myself, but I'm trying to head off any misunderstandings as I'm asking for help with this. Thanks.

For those that like a mystery, I will keep you updated. But I don't know what's left. Gremlins?

Have you thought about trying something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-AGPtek-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374681230&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+optical+audio+converter
post #1737 of 4225 Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The person I got on Amazon's phone line actually offered to have the set delivered AND picked up on the same day.  It made it much much easier on me.  They have to specifically ask their own software for it.  Further, they can "expedite the return" to keep the money from being tied up.  They realize that many people are in the position that they can't have $2000 held up on return while they purchase another $2000 set.

None of this is guaranteed, but it's how it worked for me.

post #1738 of 4225 Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else noticed a bit of Lip-Sync issue when using MotionFlow set to High. I was comparing MotionFlow settings last night and seemed to notice that when I toggled between the High and Standard settings, that when on high, the lips appeared to be a bit off from the audio. It just seemed a bit unnatural to me...

I suppose it could be caused by the slightly greater delay in using a little more processing.
post #1739 of 4225 Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Silly question:

No, that's unlikely.  Also, you said it's ok in wired situations.

With wired buzzing it can be a grounding issue (to keep both source and destination at the same reference ground), or interference with the cable line or some other accidental transmitter.  With wireless though?  You're likely stuck with the latter issue only.  In my case of wired subwoofer hum it was the latter.

--->Do you get buzzing with the wireless speakers on full volume, but nothing transmitted to it, AND close to the TV?

The folks to ask about this are either in one of the audio or home theatre forums.

post #1740 of 4225 Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I have actually been so consumed with trying to find what's causing the problem that I totally forgot that the end desire is to simply stop the buzzing. lol Not kidding.

I guess this may actually be an unsolvable mystery. But that doesn't mean an unsolvable problem. Thanks Bama. And I did just free up another plug on the power strip - time for another wall wart I guess ;-)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page