Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 59 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 4276 Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I have actually been so consumed with trying to find what's causing the problem that I totally forgot that the end desire is to simply stop the buzzing. lol Not kidding.

I guess this may actually be an unsolvable mystery. But that doesn't mean an unsolvable problem. Thanks Bama. And I did just free up another plug on the power strip - time for another wall wart I guess ;-)

Your quite welcome. Hopefully because the Optical is digital out, your buzzing problem will go away. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 4276 Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, that's unlikely.  Also, you said it's ok in wired situations.

With wired buzzing it can be a grounding issue (to keep both source and destination at the same reference ground), or interference with the cable line or some other accidental transmitter.  With wireless though?  You're likely stuck with the latter issue only.  In my case of wired subwoofer hum it was the latter.

--->Do you get buzzing with the wireless speakers on full volume, but not plugged in, AND close to the TV?

The folks to ask about this are either in one of the audio or home theatre forums.

Yea I'm beginning to see that asking the tv forum has become off topic since it doesn't seem to be an issue with the tv, per se.

I get buzzing at any volume, but louder the higher I turn them up. I have tried batteries in the speakers and plugged in to different outlets on a different breaker and I have walked all around the house with the speaker. No change. I have tried different transmitters. No change. It seems that the combination of the analog audio out of the tv connected to a transmitter creates buzz. Not the tv or the transmitter alone. No matter what I try, if the tv is connected to a transmitter and THAT transmitter is in "transmit" mode, then there will be buzzing on that channel. The transmitters have 3 channels.

Also, I have even gone all around the house unplugging things, turning off fans, moving things around. But once I switched sources in the exact same location and chain and the buzz went away, that eliminated "environment".

I tend to think this HAS to be an issue of the tv's audio out analog not playing well with the transmitters. When all else has been eliminated....
post #1743 of 4276 Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post

It seems like you mixed up Cinemotion and Motion Flow in this post. Did you mean to write this instead?

Cinemotion: Auto 2
Motion Flow: Off

I just wanted to mention this so that no one thought you were recommending setting Cinemotion to off for film-based content.

Ack! Yes, I did get them mixed up. Motionflow is the upper one on the menu, it should be OFF. Cinemotion is the lower one and should be on Auto 2. My TV was right - it was my brain that was wrong. Apologies to anyone confused by my mistake.

Harry redface.gif
post #1744 of 4276 Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM

Liked: 11
I see no SOE with:

Motionflow: High
Cinemotion: Auto 2
post #1745 of 4276 Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 744

I need a name for this disorder: I have a fear of changing settings (like the one above) for fear of it never quite being able to return to what it was before.

As if the mere invoking of a particular setting will forever skew the TV's interpretation of the others.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #1746 of 4276 Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Changebackaphobia
DSulls likes this.
post #1747 of 4276 Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Changebackaphobia

I do believe there is a epidemic of the above mentioned disorder among the users of this forum. cool.gif
post #1748 of 4276 Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it should be "changebackandforthphobia" because we're never satisfied. I swear there's a gremlin in that TV that changes something every night after I go to bed.
post #1749 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 AM

Liked: 12
I am pretty set on getting this TV after seeing it in action at Best Buy. My only 2 concerns are reflection and how well it will fair when watching soccer, but I'm going to give it a go. I would like to buy it from Costco for the extra warranty and 90 day return period. Unfortunately it's not available at my local Costco (Rochester, mn) and it doesn't seem to be available on their website either. Am I out of luck with Costco?
post #1750 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

I am pretty set on getting this TV after seeing it in action at Best Buy. My only 2 concerns are reflection and how well it will fair when watching soccer, but I'm going to give it a go. I would like to buy it from Costco for the extra warranty and 90 day return period. Unfortunately it's not available at my local Costco (Rochester, mn) and it doesn't seem to be available on their website either. Am I out of luck with Costco?

Given the current state of TV screens, the reflection of this beast is fairly subdued.

Unless the Sharp Moth Eye (or similar) can become universally available, we're just not seeing a bunch of better screens out there.

Walk along the Best Buy wall of hooey looking at the screens on angle.  I don't see much a whole lot better than the Sonys at reflections.  Sony's not great at this either.....but I just don't see anyone else subduing reflections well these days.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #1751 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Given the current state of TV screens, the reflection of this beast is fairly subdued.

Unless the Sharp Moth Eye (or similar) can become universally available, we're just not seeing a bunch of better screens out there.

Walk along the Best Buy wall of hooey looking at the screens on angle.  I don't see much a whole lot better than the Sonys at reflections.  Sony's not great at this either.....but I just don't see anyone else subduing reflections well these days.

Hear, hear. Once again the masses have instilled their will on all of us. Bright glossy screens with their "pop" of color and contrast on the showroom floors wins out over matte screens that are quite capable of an equally deep image while not acting as mirrors on the wall for every possible ambient source of light. Arrg.

In other words, I agree with tgm. biggrin.gif

It's like nails down a chalkboard everytime I hear someone say of their glossy big screen set at "turbopop", "Man this tv is great right out of the box". Yep, because most people do have George Hamilton spray tan skin color and red really does look fluorescent like that in the real world and I just love how I can see everything behind me in your tv screen. eek.gif
Awesome...lol
post #1752 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hear, hear. Once again the masses have instilled their will on all of us. Bright glossy screens with their "pop" of color and contrast on the showroom floors wins out over matte screens that are quite capable of an equally deep image while not acting as mirrors on the wall for every possible ambient source of light. Arrg.

In other words, I agree with tgm. biggrin.gif

It's like nails down a chalkboard everytime I hear someone say of their glossy big screen set at "turbopop", "Man this tv is great right out of the box". Yep, because most people do have George Hamilton spray tan skin color and red really does look fluorescent like that in the real world and I just love how I can see everything behind me in your tv screen. eek.gif
Awesome...lol

In the case of some of them it's even worse than you'd expect: Even in a darkened room, some TV's are so reflective that their own images cast enough light into the room to show the room as a reflection.  That must be maddening as hell.  The 2012 LG's were nutty reflective.

post #1753 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whoa.

Sometime recently, maybe I've gone nuts, but it really seems like the firmware for 3D must've changed: The 2D->3D conversion, as hokey as it is in concept, actually got substantially better.

I'd put it previously at the 50% 3D, and now it seems more like 70+%.

Totally gone from "eh" to "huh!"

Someone else sanity check this for me?  I only know about it because my son loves it.

post #1754 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

With this set I would say the reflection is there but not horrible. You may want to rearrange some of your lights but it's about the same as most good LED/LCD's. If you're going 70" you'll notice it more just because there is more to reflect.

As for soccer. I can only compare golf but I do indeed see see three balls when the camera pans to a long shot flying through the sky. I did not however notice this when watching Hockey. You may see a bit with a soccer ball on a long shot from the side. The pluses far out weigh the minuses with this TV. Now if this was a full array local dimming set the problem could probably be eliminated but at a price tag of around 5-6K for a 70". That's why Sony now only manufactures edge lit. It will be interesting to see how the new flagship 4K sets handle motion blur. Hopefully pretty good for a 65" at $7K. Even they are edge lit.
post #1755 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With this set I would say the reflection is there but not horrible. You may want to rearrange some of your lights but it's about the same as most good LED/LCD's. If you're going 70" you'll notice it more just because there is more to reflect.

As for soccer. I can only compare golf but I do indeed see see three balls when the camera pans to a long shot flying through the sky. I did not however notice this when watching Hockey. You may see a bit with a soccer ball on a long shot from the side.

If you're seeing a soccer ball on a hockey rink, I'd return the set.  :-P

Quote:
The pluses far out weigh the minuses with this TV. Now if this was a full array local dimming set the problem could probably be eliminated

What does the full array have to do with motion effects?

post #1756 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

I couldn't find it at costco. You might look to see if your credit card doubles the original warranty like the signature visa, etc.

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
post #1757 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
very interested in this set. I noticed amazon has a 24month no interest promotion.

My main question is: Do the sets have any ongoing or widespread issues? picture quality issues? flickering, viewing angle issues etc..?

thanks in advance guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1758 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 PM

I had some clouding that I was concerned with, but I massaged the screen a little with a microfiber and the issue has disappeared. NO OTHER ISSUES WHATSOEVER.

I got mine for $2200 OTD via Amazon on the Amex for the extra 1 year warranty.

Fellas, it's a Sony. While I know that may not guarantee anything, I know that I feel so much more comfortable with a Sony over Vizio or Sharp. If you want a 70 that won't break the bank and does what it is supposed to, you have found it.

But I understand. You wouldn't be here (this forum) if your mind was already made up. I'm a nit picker. I HATED the E-series Vizio I tried - apps, wifi, random shutdowns, odd noises. Burned me from ever trying another Vizio again. Sharp was junk back in the 80s. I still can't get past that. Sony has ALWAYS been considered a reputable brand. Sure some years are better or worse. But still, a 70 inch Sony for the same price point as Sharp and Vizio and nothing else in a 70 for this price? Sorry, this was a no brainer for me.

Buy it. Run it through it's paces hard for the 30 day return window. If it screws up after, you have at least a year. ....Just my 20 cents (inflation).
post #1759 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

As for soccer. I can only compare golf but I do indeed see see three balls when the camera pans to a long shot flying through the sky. I did not however notice this when watching Hockey. You may see a bit with a soccer ball on a long shot from the side. The pluses far out weigh the minuses with this TV. Now if this was a full array local dimming set the problem could probably be eliminated but at a price tag of around 5-6K for a 70". That's why Sony now only manufactures edge lit. It will be interesting to see how the new flagship 4K sets handle motion blur. Hopefully pretty good for a 65" at $7K. Even they are edge lit.

do you have motionflow on or off? If I turn it off, I never see blurred balls with any sport. With motionflow on, I start to notice multiple images of the balls.
post #1760 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 10
Considering this tv and i have read through some (most) of this thread but was wondering now that so many have the set how would it compare to others in the field from Sharp, Samsung, or even Panasonic Plasma's?
post #1761 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all! I've perused this entire (and entirely helpful) thread, and at the risk of further flogging the longest-deceased of dead equestrians, I have a potentially silly question I'd like to pose:

If the iPad's (yes, iPad's) display is IPS, and the R550's display is IPS, does viewing the iPad's display at angles similar to the angles at which I'd (often) be viewing the R550's display produce the same relatively slight of drop-off in brightness as it would produce in the R550? Or does the difference in scale and coatings and tech make the comparison irrelevant and therefore... silly?

I ask because I'd like help in confirming that:

A) any color-shift that occurs is SLIGHT, and
B) that the image gets DARKER and not lighter when viewed at angles between 45 and 20 degrees off axis.

Any insight would be very deeply appreciated! Thank you very much!
post #1762 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcain13 View Post

Considering this tv and i have read through some (most) of this thread but was wondering now that so many have the set how would it compare to others in the field from Sharp, Samsung, or even Panasonic Plasma's?
Considering that you're comparing comparable models between Sharp, Sony and Samsung I'd say they are all pretty close overall. You'd really need a comparison of professional reviews (haven't seen any yet on the Sony) regarding viewing angels, color reproduction, black levels etc. The Sony is the only Passive 3D set which I consider a huge benefit. The Sony is the only offering at 70" which I consider an absolute required benefit. Regarding the Panasonic plasma, if you are looking at the Sony because you have a bright room or don't want to spend the money to control light then the Panasonic will probably disappoint. It's not horrible but most reviewers are setting the Panny's at 35ft brightness which isn't close to the Sony. The Samsung 8500 will be closer to the Sony for brightness. Both the Panny and Sammy plasma's are Active 3D. Did I mention that the Sony is the only 70"er?
post #1763 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

If you're looking at any LED/LCD, it's hard to compare them to a plasma - the off angle viewing will be better on a plasma, generally. Color accuracy is better on a plasma, and motion artifacts are nil. LED sets are fanless, and there have been reports of fan noise in some of the Samsung and Panasonic plasma forums. Some are more sensitive to fan noise than others. While in the Mag store last week, I did notice that the Sony and Samsung panels are slightly reflective, the Sharp, less so. Sony uses passive 3D, Panasonic, Samsung and Sharp use active 3D glasses with rechargeable specs. Depending on the price point, I guess your own personal design taste comes into play when evaluating a purchase. Personally, I'm not too keen on a silver frame on a TV, or anything silver on a set Your mileage may vary.... On the other hand, if Panasonic ever came out with a 70 inch plasma with the same anti-reflective panel as the current Z series, I'd think about buying one.

sharp 70le857

sony 70r550a

samsung 65es8000

Panasonic p65zt60

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1764 of 4276 Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 PM

Liked: 13
Just picked up the 50'' R550.

I'm going to bed now and will unbox it tomorrow.

I hope that I got a problem free set.
post #1765 of 4276 Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:

Earlier I posted how much I love my 50 inch Panny plasma from late 2007. Fantastic television with no problems out of it EVER and a fantastic image. BUT, it heats up a room!

IF I could get a plasma in 70 inches for around the same price and if it did not heat up the room, I'd buy it. But you can't and it does. So I bought an LCD. I am not disappointed in the picture of the LCD. Pleasantly surprised actually. It is far brighter than I expected and the image is amazing, albeit not quite as amazing as plasma, IMHO.

I am not surprised to see that Cnet rates plasmas as the top four tv's with best picture quality (http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/)

And if I:
* Didn't want a 70 incher AND
* Didn't want to NOT break the bank AND
* Didn't loathe the heat generated by any tv in my bedroom w/ plasmas 2-3 times more power hungry than LED LCD...
...Then I would have stuck with Plasma.

The following is from Cnet also:

I've written TV reviews for more than 10 years, but I'm pretty sure this one is the most important. I'll cut to the chase: If you value picture quality, don't have money to burn and don't game seriously enough to worry about input lag, you should buy the Panasonic TC-PST60.

Yes, it's a plasma. That's the main reason why its picture is so good. And despite what you may have heard, there's very little reason not to get a plasma TV.

I just gave you three of them.
post #1766 of 4276 Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've really been considering the 60-inch version, but have also read excellent things about the Vizio M series. I know it's a Sony thread, basically, but does anyone have some objective comparison points between the two?

I'm coming from a Sammy plasma (pn51e550) that has excellent picture quality, but shows odd contrast changes during 3D viewing; it's driving me insane.
post #1767 of 4276 Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Earlier I posted how much I love my 50 inch Panny plasma from late 2007. Fantastic television with no problems out of it EVER and a fantastic image. BUT, it heats up a room!

IF I could get a plasma in 70 inches for around the same price and if it did not heat up the room, I'd buy it. But you can't and it does. So I bought an LCD. I am not disappointed in the picture of the LCD. Pleasantly surprised actually. It is far brighter than I expected and the image is amazing, albeit not quite as amazing as plasma, IMHO.

I am not surprised to see that Cnet rates plasmas as the top four tv's with best picture quality (http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/)

And if I:
* Didn't want a 70 incher AND
* Didn't want to NOT break the bank AND
* Didn't loathe the heat generated by any tv in my bedroom w/ plasmas 2-3 times more power hungry than LED LCD...
...Then I would have stuck with Plasma.

The following is from Cnet also:

I've written TV reviews for more than 10 years, but I'm pretty sure this one is the most important. I'll cut to the chase: If you value picture quality, don't have money to burn and don't game seriously enough to worry about input lag, you should buy the Panasonic TC-PST60.

Yes, it's a plasma. That's the main reason why its picture is so good. And despite what you may have heard, there's very little reason not to get a plasma TV.

I just gave you three of them.

I too have looked at the Panasonic reason being the picture quality. Im turned off somewhat by the input lag. Granted I don't play first person shooters and am a full time firefighter, so no real time for games. But if I ever wanted to play games mostly sports games etc..input lag scares me. Also the Panasonic doesn't get any bigger than 65 which is somewhat of a bummer. Being that I have a 73 Mitsu currently.

I want something I can hang or "hoover" above my tv stand and bring my center channel up out of my cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauz20 View Post

I've really been considering the 60-inch version, but have also read excellent things about the Vizio M series. I know it's a Sony thread, basically, but does anyone have some objective comparison points between the two?

I'm coming from a Sammy plasma (pn51e550) that has excellent picture quality, but shows odd contrast changes during 3D viewing; it's driving me insane.

I too have looked into the Vizio. I have never owned a Vizio, so don't know what to expect. I did notice cnet gave the M series a pretty good review.

post #1768 of 4276 Old 07-26-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

I too have looked at the Panasonic reason being the picture quality. Im turned off somewhat by the input lag. Granted I don't play first person shooters and am a full time firefighter, so no real time for games. But if I ever wanted to play games mostly sports games etc..input lag scares me. Also the Panasonic doesn't get any bigger than 65 which is somewhat of a bummer. Being that I have a 73 Mitsu currently.

I want something I can hang or "hoover" above my tv stand and bring my center channel up out of my cabinet.
I too have looked into the Vizio. I have never owned a Vizio, so don't know what to expect. I did notice cnet gave the M series a pretty good review.

Browse the Vizio threads. I posted on the E series thread until I returned my Vizio and got the Sony.

If you have a 73 incher, you will most likely regret going smaller. Like someone said on here before, they've never heard anyone say, "Should have gone smaller".

I put the 50 plasma back on the wall while waiting for the 70 Sony to arrive (replacing the 70 Vizio we had for a month). I was pleased all over again by my 2007 plasma's deep rich image, but at the same time thought, man that's small! lol
post #1769 of 4276 Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Browse the Vizio threads. I posted on the E series thread until I returned my Vizio and got the Sony.

If you have a 73 incher, you will most likely regret going smaller. Like someone said on here before, they've never heard anyone say, "Should have gone smaller".

I put the 50 plasma back on the wall while waiting for the 70 Sony to arrive (replacing the 70 Vizio we had for a month). I was pleased all over again by my 2007 plasma's deep rich image, but at the same time thought, man that's small! lol

I wouldn't get the E series. I was looking at the M series 70 incher. I don't think 3 inches will bother me. The convenience of having a flat panel I can hang is the key.

I have always liked Samsung and Panasonic as far as picture quality.

post #1770 of 4276 Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Quote:

If you're looking at any LED/LCD, it's hard to compare them to a plasma - the off angle viewing will be better on a plasma, generally.

always.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page