Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 4256 Old 07-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I purchased the 50R550A in March. The Sony website an marketing literature states this TV has the Wi-Fi Direct feature. The other day I tried to use this feature but could not find it in any of the menus. A search of the Sony website yielded 2 articles neither of which helped (because I could not find the feature on the tv. I tried the Sony Live Chat but they were no help. I visited my local Sony store and spoke with their tech. He could not find the feature either but said he would contact Sony and have an answer in 3 or 4 days. Any one else have any info on this ? THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 4256 Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 PM

Liked: 13
Well I tried to like the R550 but the dirty screen effect is horrible even though there is no flashlighting.

Before this TV I had the 47'' LG la6900 I loved it except it had some memory problems.

47'' was a bit too small and I plan on getting the 55'' version.

And hopefully it functions properly this time.

The biggest thing I missed from the LG was the local dimming.
post #1803 of 4256 Old 07-28-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvision View Post

Hi All,

I purchased the 50R550A in March. The Sony website an marketing literature states this TV has the Wi-Fi Direct feature. The other day I tried to use this feature but could not find it in any of the menus. A search of the Sony website yielded 2 articles neither of which helped (because I could not find the feature on the tv. I tried the Sony Live Chat but they were no help. I visited my local Sony store and spoke with their tech. He could not find the feature either but said he would contact Sony and have an answer in 3 or 4 days. Any one else have any info on this ? THANKS

Check page 41 of the operating instructions:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KDL50R550A&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab
post #1804 of 4256 Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Hi myoda,

Thanks for the reply but page 41 is regarding the set up procedure for connecting the TV to your home network. I currently have a CAT 5e cable plugged directly into the TV and I can also wirelessly connect to my router as well but I prefer the Cat 5e cable method.

The Wi-Fi Direct feature is different. It allows you to connect your smart phone or tablet directly to the TV (bypassing your router).
I have seen this feature demonstrated at the Sony store on other models. All the Sony literature and charts on their website state that the R550A model has this feature but I can not find it in any of the menus on the TV.

Dvision
post #1805 of 4256 Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
post #1806 of 4256 Old 07-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Hi myoda,

Thanks but unfortunately without being able to find the Wi-Fi Direct feature on any of the menus in TV, I can't initiate this feature. I am surprised that no one else has written in complaining about this same issue.
Right now, I think my best hope is that the Sony store tech comes back with an answer from Sony. It may be too much to hope for that they release a software update that adds this feature that all their documentation says it already has.

Dvision
post #1807 of 4256 Old 07-28-2013, 01:55 PM

hi, what i do on my android device is go to settings, WIFI, go to menu and hit WIFI direct your TV should be in the list our you can hit scan the TV will do the rest ether it connects or not I have not have any luck with it.

I use a program call send to Sony, that works great. hope this help
post #1808 of 4256 Old 07-28-2013, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi Everyone. My fiancé loves my XBR Bravia 929 55" TV and I love it for gaming and watching Movies/Cable. But we both are wanting to go a bit bigger and we both liked what we saw when we went to Costco and saw this T.V. Both of are wondering what gaming is like on this set and how it would be better/worse or same as our 929? We also use a gaming PC on the 929, so this 70" would also need to be good for use with a computer. Can anyone provide some feedback on gaming on this particular set and if any owners/former owners of the 929 can compare image quality, ghosting/lag etc that would be great!

-Hawkmoon
post #1809 of 4256 Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Hi Everyone. My fiancé loves my XBR Bravia 929 55" TV and I love it for gaming and watching Movies/Cable. But we both are wanting to go a bit bigger and we both liked what we saw when we went to Costco and saw this T.V. Both of are wondering what gaming is like on this set and how it would be better/worse or same as our 929? We also use a gaming PC on the 929, so this 70" would also need to be good for use with a computer. Can anyone provide some feedback on gaming on this particular set and if any owners/former owners of the 929 can compare image quality, ghosting/lag etc that would be great!

You have me half-conflicted on this.  The 929 is a very nice set.  ...........I love the R550A, I really do, but I wouldn't try to compare the motion handling and PQ of it to a 929.  Just guessing here, but it sounds like you would really like the 2012 XBR-65HX950, if you want more of an apples to bigger apples "guarantee".

Like the 929, the 950 is active 3D though.  And a lot more money.  Don't know about the lag.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1810 of 4256 Old 07-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

You have me half-conflicted on this.  The 929 is a very nice set.  ...........I love the R550A, I really do, but I wouldn't try to compare the motion handling and PQ of it to a 929.  Just guessing here, but it sounds like you would really like the 2012 XBR-65HX950, if you want more of an apples to bigger apples "guarantee".

Like the 929, the 950 is active 3D though.  And a lot more money.  Don't know about the lag.

I kind of figured a comparison from the 929 to this T.V. would be something hard to do.

So can anyone chime in on how gaming, gaming lag is on this set? We are looking at getting the 70" version, but just want to make sure it is a good set for gaming, then blu ray followed by hd cable.

-Hawkmoon
post #1811 of 4256 Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm loving this tv. 70R that is. Now i'm looking to hang it on the wall. Are there any mounts that seem to work better. I know i'll need it to tilt. Not sure if its to heavy for a full motion mount though. I just know the full motions are great if you want to change or add wires and such to the back of the tv.....

I don't think I need to seeing i'm using the new Denon 4520ci avr.... So if I can get this thing mounted on the wall, I can say i'm done....For now that is..

Thanks....
post #1812 of 4256 Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Looking at the 8 different settings posted at the beginning of this thread I am wondering if you all still use your posted settings and do you use the same settings for all types of viewing?

I change the color, backlight and light sensor depending on the source and / or room lighting.
Add color if source material is not so great. Lower backlight if lots of dark scenes otherwise clouding is annoying. Turn on light sensor (it dims the screen) if the room is dark and I'm not fully awake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I don't game on-line, but have "campaign" gamed quite a bit on both the PS3 (3D too) & 360 with no lag issues whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

I'm loving this tv. 70R that is. Now i'm looking to hang it on the wall. Are there any mounts that seem to work better. I know i'll need it to tilt. Not sure if its to heavy for a full motion mount though. I just know the full motions are great if you want to change or add wires and such to the back of the tv.....

I don't think I need to seeing i'm using the new Denon 4520ci avr.... So if I can get this thing mounted on the wall, I can say i'm done....For now that is..

Thanks....

I mounted mine via a Level Mount brand from Sam's Club "all-axis" mount I bought years ago for my 50 inch plasma. Like this one here: The plasma is actually heavier than the 70 inch LCD Sony. At the time I bought that mount they only rated 'em for upto 65 inchers, but 165 pounds. No issues. I like the full motion mount for the simplicity of getting behind the tv after it's on the wall. You can extend that puppy full out. Just be sure to use bolts long enough to go at least 2.5 inches into the studs. So 3.5 inch bolts are nice. Use 4 bolts & not 6 as that just creates swiss cheese of the studs. Pre-drill holes a larger diameter than they suggest and if so inclined, coat the bolts with a little silicone. It's a lube when wet, glue when it dries. Also use washers on the bolts to spread out the load. Don't over torque or you'll snap the bolts. And do not trust the level that comes with some mounts. Use a good quality torpedo level.

I added an outlet behind the tv. I also added cable plates (like these: http://www.amazon.com/DataComm-45-0008-WH-Mount-Recessed-Voltage/dp/B00390IT7O/ref=pd_sim_e_19) behind the tv and the dresser to run the av cables so that everything is hidden in the walls. Very clean set-up. Btw, home improvement/repair is my profession.

NOTE: This all applies to an interior wall with no insulation or connection to outside.
post #1813 of 4256 Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Note, he means silicone adhesive, NOT silicone spray.  The latter will remain a lubricant.

In any case, for indoor use that is incredible overkill if you've drilled the holes properly.  I absolutely agree: the suggested hole sizes are often aggressively small.  The weight is downward in nature, not pulling backwards anyway.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1814 of 4256 Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Note, he means silicone adhesive, NOT silicone spray.  The latter will remain a lubricant.

In any case, for indoor use that is incredible overkill if you've drilled the holes properly.  I absolutely agree: the suggested hole sizes are often aggressively small.  The weight is downward in nature, not pulling backwards anyway.

Correct. Often homeowners are too nervous and will drill too small a pilot and then snap the bolt trying to tighten it. The silicone caulk / adhesive just adds the lubrication to help the bolts screw right in without leaving them lubed to pull out. Used to use soap, but silicone or even hair spray is far better since they become sticky after dry. You know what I mean.
post #1815 of 4256 Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

Quote:

Correct. Often homeowners are too nervous and will drill too small a pilot and then snap the bolt trying to tighten it. The silicone caulk / adhesive just adds the lubrication to help the bolts screw right in without leaving them lubed to pull out. Used to use soap, but silicone or even hair spray is far better since they become sticky after dry. You know what I mean.

Does that mount allow you to re-adjust the L-R tilt after installation?  I know what will happen with any arm mechanism----they'll wear, and even a .1 degree discrepancy will drive me nuts.

post #1816 of 4256 Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Does that mount allow you to re-adjust the L-R tilt after installation?  I know what will happen with any arm mechanism----they'll wear, and even a .1 degree discrepancy will drive me nuts.

Not really. You'd have to take off the tv and readjust. Mine is 4+ years old. It is worn in the bearings, but evenly enough that I can't see any issues with L/R tilt. I know, right. It has dropped some hanging forward - meaning more off-the-wall tilt. Of course I never noticed until I went to switch out tvs and then I just adjusted the tilt of the new larger tv anyways. And remember that with these types of mounts, you don't plan on the tv being equidistant off the wall from right to left and that when you angle the screen right or left and then tilt it down it makes detecting a slight out of right / left level hard to notice. Not at all as obvious as the tilt only ones.

Btw, an installation trick I've used were mounts not hung up perfectly level or that have otherwise become not level is to loosen up the mounting bolts that go into the back of the tv and usually there is enough play between them and the hanger arms to get a correction out of. Obviously you could do the same with the lag bolts that go in to the studs, but I don't like messing with those after they're set because it weakens their bite.
post #1817 of 4256 Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everyone. We've been looking at this TV to replace our three year old KDL-40EX500. We popped on this sucker this Saturday. We called ahead to the store to check their stock on the 60". The woman who answered said there weren't any there new in its box, but there was a truck that was just pulling in and she felt it likely there would be exactly one on it. She told me she would call back in a couple of hours to confirm availability, but when she didn't, we boxed up the Samsung F5500 we'd bought there the weekend prior anyway, and headed out.

Despite not getting the callback, the TV was on the truck, and we made the exchange. We were honestly amazed at how thin the box was, versus the Samsung plasma we were returning. It was nearly a quarter of the depth, really impressive, although lacking the splashy full color wrapping the Samsung and our 2010 Bravia had. The set does weigh 20ish pounds less though, and I found myself spontaneously shrieking the tagline printed massively along the sides, "Feel the Beauty," and feel it I did. It was much easier to carry up a flight of stairs, I have to say.

So, quick review: The setup was very easy, with six screws at this size, and at no point were we asked or required to lay the TV face down (where as the Samsung instructions asked that we did... but we didn't). Gravity is employed at every step, and one could do it alone as long as they can lift the 60 pounds.

The set stands perfectly vertical. The stand is a solid-feeling band (bar, really) of real metal, which is impressive when I come to think of the competition. I think the stand is not only sturdy but attractive. It has a stark, minimal, dramatic quality that I really enjoy looking at. I know a lot of people don't like it. Some don't think it's sturdy enough, which I disagree with. Some think it's ugly, and I disagree with them also. It has a luxurious look and feel, as our old set did, but far more so in this case. It's an avant-garde design that I am actually really glad to be able to enjoy from Sony on a 60" at $1,500. I also happen to like a lot of LG's stands, but I don't think they will be nearly as timeless as the design of this set. It's just more like furniture, I guess.

I do want to remark that, in our living room, the mirrored bar along the bottom bezel is not a problem. The TV is on a black surface, and all it ever reflects is that surface. The chrome stand, however, does reflect the image on the screen. This is a lot more apparent when viewing in the dark. I doesn't bother us, but it may bother some.

Anyway, the image. When adjusted, it looks great. As everyone knows, the Eco settings make the picture super dim, yikes. If you think the TV just will not get bright enough, the Eco settings are the culprit. Also, someone else commented a zillion posts back that they though Neutral looked too cool and Warm too warm. I have to agree, although in the end, Neutral is quite livable... but there are definitely moments where I feel the whites are looking sort of Xenon-headlight-white... just a little too blue. I may mess with it some more later.

One problem the F5500 had was displaying a pure white or light grey field. It would tinge the center portition green, and the left and right pink. This TV displays it perfectly from edge to edge.

Another issue the F5500 had was plasma flicker. This TV is not plasma and does not flicker.

The blacks are the same... I don't think the F5500 had better blacks. These blacks are just spectacular during most scenes. I need more time with the TV to say more at this point. I can tell you that during the day, the black levels are just unbelievable. When a scene fades to black, the TV looks like its off. It's really excellent looking.

The final, and worst issue of the F5500 was its PenTile display. The screen was effectively interlaced to my perception, and seeing the mesh of tiny black dots over everything drove me crazy. This TV has what I suppose to be an ordinary IPS pixel structure, which looks normal. I do wish the dot pitch were a little better. At seven feet there is a slight screen door effect that is sometimes noticeable to me. I do wear contacts, however, so my vision is super sharp at that distance.

As an earlier post of mine indicated, viewing angles were my main concern. My specific concern were angles between 20 and 45 degrees. Now that I can see it for myself, at 20 degrees, I think the image is still pretty good. At 45 degrees, the blacks get a tad pale, and the colors loose their vibrancy. I found the Netflix interface to great show this well. The grey background of the interface is quite deep head on, but lightens by nearly half at 45 degrees. For casual TV viewing it's quite acceptable, I say it drops the quality of the image from splendid to bland and ordinary... the pop is just gone. I personally would not be able to really savor, i.e. enjoy a gorgeous film at this angle.

KDL-60R550A Head On:

KDL-60R550A at ~45 degrees:

One very interesting thing to note is the color green (as on a baseball field) does tend to wash out a bit towards the end of the TV opposite my end of the couch. I am centered before the right-most third of the set. I am sitting at a 10 degree angle to the screen. It is only the green field the washes out just a bit, all of the other colors appear fine, and I have only noticed it so far on baseball.

We do have a couple of bright blobs in the center as some others have reported. They are medium sized compared to others I have seen here. The left blob is very faint. The right blob is a bit larger and brighter. During very bright scenes it can distract me. I may attempt to massage it into submission, and I'll let everyone know if I have success at this should I attempt it.

We love the 3D, and we enjoy it much, much more than the active 3D on the Samsung. While we can see the scanlines at our viewing distance, they aren't bad. There is no flickering, which the Samsung had, at that's awesome. The passive system also doesn't make my eyes feel "weird," which I really like. We rented Jurassic Park in 3D, so we'll see what two hour viewings are like, but we imagine it will be comfortable. No syncing, no batteries, the scene doesn't get darker, the glasses are larger, lighter, and less expensive. It came with four pairs, and they are foldable, which is great.

Gaming so far is good, but I still need more time to judge. We don't notice lag in SoulCalibur V.

I know a lot of people are concerned with ghosting. I notice it during sports and movies, but I don't notice it during games. I can attempt to film it if anyone really wants to see it. In the future I will pay more attention to this and report on anything meaningful.

Gaming in 3D has been so-so so far. So everyone knows, the PS3 was newly configured to recognize that the TV is 3D, and the games are set to run in 3D. I don't want anyone to think that I have set the TV to simulated 3D, thinking that it's "real" 3D, when that is not the case. That said, Zen Pinball 2 in 3D became so laggy we couldn't play it. Shutting off all of the image and motion enhancers helped signifigantly, but not enough to keep playing in 3D. Hot Shots Golf was also very laggy in 3D, when it hadn't been on the Samsung, and that was disapointing. Super Stardust HD, however, seemed just as responsive in 3D as 2D. The same goes for Gran Turismo 5, and that's huge, although I need more time with this game. In a nutshell, we had zero issues with 3D lag on the Samsung, but have had two out of four games have issues on the R550 so far. We'll keep messing with it and see if something has been overlooked in the meantime.

One thing that was a little disappointing was the strength of the 3D effect on Gran Turismo 5 and Ridge Racer 7. Both games really popped and really benefited from the third dimension on the Samsung. On this TV, the effect is way more subtle, almost to the point where I might not bother in the future. I'm going to adjust the TV itself and see if that helps, and let everyone know if it does. I want to give ICO/SotC and Uncharted 3 a go and see how they are... perhaps Resistance 3 as well.

One thing I do not like is that this TV does not support DTS. I do own a few movies where DTS is the only surround audio option, so this is a little annoying. It's another cable to putz with in a tight space with too few jacks and it actually kind of pisses me off.

I'll finish with the remote and the Smart features. This is our second Smart set after the Samsung we just returned. The Samsung had a lot of content, it was mostly fluid, and while I think Samsung placed style just a bit over substance, overall I thought it was pretty slick. The touchpad remote made it fun to use, and it's the only thing I miss about the Samsung (other than the viewing angles, of course). Sony's system is boring but functional when it comes to streaming media, with multiple categories presented at once. I like that whatever you were watching or doing is still presented in the window to the left. You can continue watching (or doing) what you're watching (or doing) while you make your choice. It's really great when you have a group assembled; any potentially-awkward silence while you nudge around menus is avoided and everyone is still kept entertained. We are used to going through our PS3 for a lot of the services present, but so far the built-in apps seem capable.

The biggest complaint is that the system is slow to load. The Samsung system gave me the impression that it was always running in the background, where my hitting the button brought it right up. On the Sony, hitting SEN brings a long silent wait of many seconds, and once it's up, it's sloooow to navigate. The browser is also very clunky, and not optimized for the remote, with a lot of websites being basically unusable. Just as on PS3, the browser is tacked onto the TV because leaving it out would be embarrassing, I suppose. Overall, the Smart stuff is not sexy and definitely a weak spot as far as I am concerned. My position is to either leave the "Smart" stuff out and shave $100 or so off the price, or do it right. Maybe they'd rather everyone buy PS3s (or PS4s) for this kind of stuff, but I still think this system could use some basic improvements.

The remote is comfortable, but hey, the settings should be under Options, not Home, and of course there is no slick track pad. It's a nice evolution of the EX500's remote, smaller and more comfortable however, with much friendlier plastics yet very solid with a nice weight. It still has a design that lets you lay it on its face (I always know which remote is for the TV), but it ditches the weird/cool power button on the back and the sleek one-piece rear shell.

Anyway, all that said, we are very happy with the TV. We are excited to put it through its paces.

Edit: I just wanted to thank everyone that's posted on here, especially the regulars. Your info has been really helpful in making the decision to purchase this TV and any issues we should be aware of beforehand. Cheers!
VMeran likes this.
post #1818 of 4256 Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

Well, I found this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481503/sony-kdl-70r550a-post-hcfr-grayscale-calibration-blue-push

which has pictures of the menus I found on our sets:

and the posts by Doug Blackburn have pretty well scared me off of messing around any further. I'll be content to wait until someone else posts specific stuff about our TVs.

Harry

finally had some time to look at this. You are entering the factory mode, seems like you can only save changes which correlate to the current menu settings. for example the color temp, input source, and factory reset. all of the other stuff you try to change it will not save.

now this is how you enter the service menu but there are no display options to change. there is a sound equalizer

Instructions
1 Turn off your Sony LCD HDTV by pressing the "Power" button at the top of your remote control.

2 Press the "Display" button, then the "5" button, then the "Volume +" button, then the "Power" button. All four button presses must be done within a three-second time frame.

3 Press the "Jump" button until the "Panel" service menu appears.

4 Use the "1" and "4" buttons to navigate the menu, the "2" and "5" buttons to navigate the categories and the "3" and "6" buttons to make adjustments.

Tips & Warnings
Press the "Power" button to exit the "Service Menu."

Be cautious when performing any sort of change through the "Service Menu." It is possible to cause significant, irreversible damage to your television if the wrong choice is made.

--- in bed now and away from my 70" Sony. Buy try mute and enter same time to save the setting. See if it works
post #1819 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 AM

Liked: 13
I can't wait to exchange my R550 and get the LG la6900 again!!!

The R550 had awful black levels, they looked really blue vs the mild dark grey's on the LG.
post #1820 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 AM

Hey guys, this is the 60R520A... would anyone else exchange this?

It's only noticeable on pure white screens, otherwise the PQ is amazing...

is this the "Dirty Screen Effect"?
post #1821 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakked View Post

If you never see it, then there doesn't seem to be a reason to exchange it. I doubt you'll be staring at a pure white screen most of your time with it, after all.
post #1822 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 66
Quote:

That's not DSE. DSE is dark bands visible during horizontal or vertical movement. I can live with a little DSE but I don't know about those blobs, if it were me I think I'd return it.
post #1823 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Before anybody gives up on this set because of screen uniformity issues pleas try running a micro fiber cloth over the screen. I did this three times a day for a couple of days and the results were wonderful.
mp06011999 likes this.
post #1824 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

Quote:

If you never see it, then there doesn't seem to be a reason to exchange it. I doubt you'll be staring at a pure white screen most of your time with it, after all.

No, that's nonsense, ABSOLUTELY return it.  Whether or not this is technically DSE (no, there is no hard and fast industry definition for it confining it to bands), those blobs are still incredibly prominent and will show up and forever annoy you.  They're common enough with this set that people have just been referring to it as "the blobs".

I had those on my first 60R550A, and now have a perfectly blob-free 60" R550A.  Do the same thing for your 520.

I've been watching this phenomenon for a long time: There are different degrees to this, but they're not going to only show up on 100% white screens but suddenly vanish on 99%, etc.  They will show up whenever there is any amount of lightly colored background, and because they are latched to a particular spot in screen space you will see it even more glaringly when there's any amount of panning or scanning.  It is truly annoying!  And it's not as though Sony is giving these TVs away...it's an unacceptable aberration.

Jakked, here was the explanation of my original screen, complete with pictures, in my thread dedicated to this precise blob problem when it showed up.  I returned it, and have a fantastic 60" as a result with great uniformity.  And by the way, judging from the complaints, this problem does seem to plague the 60"ers more often than the 50 or 70.

post #1825 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Before anybody gives up on this set because of screen uniformity issues pleas try running a micro fiber cloth over the screen. I did this three times a day for a couple of days and the results were wonderful.

This ^
post #1826 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Andy, for standard DSE, or the blobs?  Do you have a before and after picture?

post #1827 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna do some more screen massaging. The little that I did made the screen go from "almost entirely black with a few white spots" to "mostly black with a few grey-ish areas". I'm interested in spreading out those clouds some more and try to get an "overall black-ish" screen.

And adding light to the room has helped alot.
post #1828 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

I'm gonna do some more screen massaging. The little that I did made the screen go from "almost entirely black with a few white spots" to "mostly black with a few grey-ish areas". I'm interested in spreading out those clouds some more and try to get an "overall black-ish" screen.

Ok, you're talking about a different phenomenon than the blobs if you're talking about getting an overall black-ish screen.  With my set, the all-black screen was great.  The blobs *only* show up on the mostly white or brightly colored scenes---usually requiring a somewhat high grey component (R/G/B up to a unified high percentage).  Doing the full black test looking for screen uniformity doesn't pass or fail the blobs problem: it won't show at all.

post #1829 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Ok, you're talking about a different phenomenon than the blobs if you're talking about getting an overall black-ish screen.  With my set, the all-black screen was great.  The blobs *only* show up on the mostly white or brightly colored scenes---usually requiring a somewhat high grey component (R/G/B up to a unified high percentage).  Doing the full black test looking for screen uniformity doesn't pass or fail the blobs problem: it won't show at all.

Correct. My post about massaging the screen some more was in reply to Andy's post about screen uniformity and how it worked for him. Of course someone else had posted about the blobs on a white screen thing right around those screen massaging posts.

So, to clarify: Screen massage good for screen uniformity involving clouds on a black screen. All I was saying. And I don't have the blobs on a white screen issue so can't add anything there.
post #1830 of 4256 Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

My first attempt was while watching a Buffy re-run. The black bars on the side were very uneven with light areas in the corners and on both sides. A gentle but firm massage seemed to not make much of a difference until I moved back to my normal viewing area. Then the difference was very evident. During a totally dark screen while watching TV I paused the picture and gave the entire screen the same massage treatment. It made a nice difference. I have read about this massage thing a few years ago and forgot about it till it was mentioned here. I would imagine that any edge lit LED/LCD would benefit from this procedure. This was also a good time to tweak my back light and brightness levels. Lowering the brightness even one or two points makes a difference.
bgrpph likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page