Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 63 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I just got it too. I wish we could find out what they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I just got it too. I wish we could find out what they do.

Many times in software there are priority bugs that get fixed that the vendor would rather not go trumpeting around.  Things like "5.309-2.301-00, fixed a bug that caused LED 4 to overheat and ignite the chassis."

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
That's what happened to mine last night. Put it out quickly though.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Don't forget the most important software update of all - downloading your viewing / use habits.

We're all just one big family here in the Nielsen household. You know danm well that's why ANY electronics manufacturer wants you connected to the web...for market research.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can see if you go to Netflix or other smart apps or TV, they can upload what you do but does HDMI report the source program activity?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I went ahead and did an exchange for a third set (60R520), and I guess third times a charm because this one is absolutely perfect! While is was a pain in the ass, the hassle was definitely worth it! No more "blobs", PQ is stunning and very very minor backlight clouding... I'm guessing this is as good as I'm going to get... awesome!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 AM

Hey there

Sorry for the delayed response...I am in south africa so our times will be a little different...

Yip, tried those steps but will try again, but the issue that I have is that the manuals and everyone I have spoken to, say that under settings-setup-network, there is a home network option, this is not on my menu, as well as wifi direct.
The pc is set up perfectly as I can stream to the ps3, ipad, s4 whatever, just not the tv...and sony seems to have run out of ideas. I doubt this is fault with the tv as I have not seen an issue with electronics before where a menu item is missing. Seems that I am doing something....
Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown111 View Post

Hey there

Sorry for the delayed response...I am in south africa so our times will be a little different...

Yip, tried those steps but will try again, but the issue that I have is that the manuals and everyone I have spoken to, say that under settings-setup-network, there is a home network option, this is not on my menu, as well as wifi direct.

What is the model of your TV?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Has anyone had issues with certain videos over DLNA? I have a the 60R550A streaming video from an Synology DS411 NAS. (I've tried the built in media server as well as Servio).

I've been copying blu-ray's to the NAS for easier viewing, always using the "AppleTv2" profile in handbrake. I'd say 65% of these work fine.. but certain movies I can't get to play for the life of me.

I get 2 different symptoms depending on the movie:
1) the movie starts to load, gets to like 96% and then just hangs.... I have to hit the "Home" button to go back to live TV to get out.. the "Return" button doesn't work.
2) The screen instantly shows a message stating "This Video cannot be played"

The worst part is I can't find an encoding for these movies that does work. I've tried 5 different encoding methods with the same result. I tried:
1) AppleTV2
2) AppleTV3
3) High Profile (Default Settings)
4) High Profile (720p)
5) AppleTV2 (Constant 30fps framerate)

Incidently I also tried all of these profiles as MKV files through servio, and the file plays then.. but servio has to remux the file to play it since it's an MKV and apparently the TV can't see MKV's through DLNA.

Any Ideas?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Would the input lag be any different on the 50 inch vs the 70 inch? I know displaylag.com has the 70 listed at 36ms
Old 08-01-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvatoreOH View Post

Would the input lag be any different on the 50 inch vs the 70 inch? I know displaylag.com has the 70 listed at 36ms

Very unlikely.  It would require that the underlying panel behave fundamentally differently and that the firmware would have to be aware of this when adjusting.  The only reason for any primary differences would be for 3D issues where there is a need to understand real-world dimensions, but I cannot imagine that mattering.  There's also (if I really stretch possibilities) a chance that the LED's themselves need a different amount of computation to properly compute the frame dimming, but like I said: that's a stretch.

All that said, the panels themselves are possibly by differing vendors based on size (Sony doesn't make their own panels any longer), so there's always a chance (I guess) that something is different.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:42 PM

How has everyone liked gaming on this set. Is it fast enough for most shooters?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlambs View Post

Has anyone had issues with certain videos over DLNA? I have a the 60R550A streaming video from an Synology DS411 NAS. (I've tried the built in media server as well as Servio).

I've been copying blu-ray's to the NAS for easier viewing, always using the "AppleTv2" profile in handbrake. I'd say 65% of these work fine.. but certain movies I can't get to play for the life of me.

I get 2 different symptoms depending on the movie:
1) the movie starts to load, gets to like 96% and then just hangs.... I have to hit the "Home" button to go back to live TV to get out.. the "Return" button doesn't work.
2) The screen instantly shows a message stating "This Video cannot be played"

The worst part is I can't find an encoding for these movies that does work. I've tried 5 different encoding methods with the same result. I tried:
1) AppleTV2
2) AppleTV3
3) High Profile (Default Settings)
4) High Profile (720p)
5) AppleTV2 (Constant 30fps framerate)

Incidently I also tried all of these profiles as MKV files through servio, and the file plays then.. but servio has to remux the file to play it since it's an MKV and apparently the TV can't see MKV's through DLNA.

Any Ideas?

I've had this same problem. All my videos are mp4 encoded. I'd say 98% work, but I have one or two that are confirmed working from my computer, that will hang at 98% on the TV over dlna.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvatoreOH View Post

How has everyone liked gaming on this set. Is it fast enough for most shooters?

I'll answer by saying I've never been much of a game player, so I really have no opinion one way or the other. My TV use tends to be for watching broadcasts and video media (DVD and BluRay these days, but also VHS and LaserDisc on occasion).

Harry
Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 PM

I ran into a similar issue. I have .avi files that my 40" Samsung's DLNA plays but not my Sony. Also when I'm at the menu screen where the icons of movies and folders are displayed, icons start to disappear one by one after a few seconds of each other. I just ended up hooking up a laptop to the Sony. I figured this would be a better option than buying another make/model of 70" screen. Sony's Opera Web browser is really terrible too.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM

Liked: 23
These tv's any good? Thinking about buying the 60" for my lake house. Mostly as sports and some movie viewing.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoley2k View Post

Yeah those are good points. I'm anal with detail so part of me wishes you hadnt even said that. Id love to be ignorant and enjoy technology for once instead of living in the settings/config menus. It is always better to have a few visual/manual test. Im here for another 6-7 hours but ill do it when I get home.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

What is the model of your TV?

Hey it's the KDL-70R550A.
Also, my pc asks for the WPS pin from the tv, any ideas where I can get it? on some screens I see the message displayed from the TV with a pin but it never works, I must be doing something wrong.
If you have the steps you followed to get yours working, please could you let me know?
I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

You seemed quite happy when you tested it out initially. Was the frame skipping noticeable when you were playing games on it?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

Quote:

You seemed quite happy when you tested it out initially. Was the frame skipping noticeable when you were playing games on it?

He's just verifying it because I was concerned that his tests didn't verify frame-discard.

I've PM'd mark to ask about it.  I can't enlarge the image by clicking on it for some reason, so I can't read it.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 AM

How do I know if it is frame skipping?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 AM

Hope this hasn't been addressed I searched but could not find anything. I must be missing something in the menus, I just purchased the 60" and the picture is awesome. I do have one problem and I can't find a picture adjust to fix it. I have over scan from my DISH box, which I did not have with the 40" Sony that I replaced.

I was hoping some one on here could point me to where I can adjust this on the TV. I assume this is not a STB issue, I have went through the STB menus and the only options it has is setting to 1080i or 720P output. I get over scan in both options.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal3 View Post

Hope this hasn't been addressed I searched but could not find anything. I must be missing something in the menus, I just purchased the 60" and the picture is awesome. I do have one problem and I can't find a picture adjust to fix it. I have over scan from my DISH box, which I did not have with the 40" Sony that I replaced.

I was hoping some one on here could point me to where I can adjust this on the TV. I assume this is not a STB issue, I have went through the STB menus and the only options it has is setting to 1080i or 720P output. I get over scan in both options.

Anyone have any ideas?

From the manual. I would suggest you set the display area for "Full Pixel"

turls and Steve S like this.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Anyone have any ideas?

In the menu go to "screen settings" then "display area" and select Full Pixel.

Steve S.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have any ideas?

If you mean "overscan" as I understand it, you don't want that on at all for a 1080 set.  I don't think anyway----I'm not sure why you would...it's a bit of a legacy thing.  It should be sending all of the frame either way for HD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan#Modern_sets

Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 AM

I returned my 70" Sony to Walmart for a full refund. I was willing to overlook the stand and DLNA issues, but I started noticing 5 shadowy areas that were vertical and curved. They were very noticeable when a single bright color was displayed and viewed slightly at an angle. That was the final straw for me.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

In the menu go to "screen settings" then "display area" and select Full Pixel.

I tried that it didn't change anything.

Quote:
If you mean "overscan" as I understand it, you don't want that on at all for a 1080 set. I don't think anyway----I'm not sure why you would...it's a bit of a legacy thing. It should be sending all of the frame either way for HD.

By overscan I mean the screen is cropped off around the edges It's like I have zoom set, which I don't. I don't understand, as I said, the only thing I changed in my setup was I replaced one Sony TV with another. Never had the issue with the other TV. Maybe it's a defective TV.

Something else I noticed. I have a non DVR STB a Dish VIP222, I still use BTV to record shows. It records to a HD-PVR from Composite off of the STB. All shows I record to the HD-PVR also show up cropped off when I play them from BTV. The shows I record from OTA from a HDHomerun look fine, however. So I am not sure what is going on here.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I tried that it didn't change anything.
By overscan I mean the screen is cropped off around the edges It's like I have zoom set, which I don't. I don't understand, as I said, the only thing I changed in my setup was I replaced one Sony TV with another. Never had the issue with the other TV. Maybe it's a defective TV.

Something else I noticed. I have a non DVR STB a Dish VIP222, I still use BTV to record shows. It records to a HD-PVR from Composite off of the STB. All shows I record to the HD-PVR also show up cropped off when I play them from BTV. The shows I record from OTA from a HDHomerun look fine, however. So I am not sure what is going on here.

Thanks for the replies.

Do you have auto display area and/or auto wide set to on? Cause that should be off, otherwise it may override your manually chosen selection.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Carter View Post

Do you have auto display area and/or auto wide set to on? Cause that should be off, otherwise it may override your manually chosen selection.

Pretty sure I played with those settings. When I get home tonight I will look again, but I have went through everything in the screen and picture menus and tried all possibilities I can make it worse but not better.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Pretty sure I played with those settings. When I get home tonight I will look again, but I have went through everything in the screen and picture menus and tried all possibilities I can make it worse but not better.

Your situation does seem odd, the "full pixel" display area setting combined with the "full" aspect ratio should give you 0% overscan on a HD 720p/1080i/1080p source.

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv