AVS Forum banner
575K views 4K replies 481 participants last post by  culmore 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATED: 26-OCT-2014

Ok, a LOT of problems recently, mostly because of the new vBulletin system and that the website G O O . G L is now blocked by AVS. Great.

The 2013 Sony R550(A) series TV (2K, Edge-lit, passive 3D!) have been out since April 16th, 2013.

Centralized Settings
The following block is information about getting the TV settings suggestions offered by the dedicated members of this thread.​

1. Editable Link Shut Down 30-NOV-2013 Due to Vandalism. Sorry guys, but protecting this thing ended up being absurdly tough; the google docs spreadsheet protections had bugs in them. Perhaps I'll recheck it at some point, but this TV model is aging anyway, and there are a lot of settings in the non-editable version.

If you have settings you really want in there, please download the blank spreadsheet (link below), fill in your settings, and PM me back with them. I'll put them into the settings spread sheet.
  2. Here is the google docs spreadsheet to settings. You can't add anything to it, so don't try. It's completely write protected (criminey, I hope anyway).
  3. If you would like to have a blank sheet to print out and record your own values, you can get it here. I would suggest keeping track of your changes by putting the date at the top of the colum. Keep it near your TV. Trust me: you will not be able to keep track of things over time and you'll suffer the horrendously painful regret of saying to yourself "now WHAT was that setting that worked so well?"

Here is a rundown of the features of the R550A and R520A.
Sony BRAVIA® R550A-series LED LCD HDTV with 3D
• Brilliant Full HD (1080p) picture quality with Edge LED backlight
• Motionflow™ XR 240 and Clear Resolution Enhancer
• Passive 3D, with 4 pairs of glasses included
• Built-in Wi-Fi for streaming connectivity, including Sony Entertainment Network™
• Screen Mirroring via Wi-Fi
• RVU (ready for full DirecTV service and HD DVR functionality without additional receivers)- and MHL(ready for mirroring second screens) -ready
• USB playback
• Screen sizes include 70-inch (KDL-70R550A), 60-inch (KDL-60R550A) and 50-inch (KDL-50R550A)

Sony BRAVIA® R520A-series LED LCD HDTV
• Brilliant Full HD (1080p) picture quality with Edge LED backlight
• Motionflow™ XR 240 and Clear Resolution Enhancer
• Built-in Wi-Fi for streaming connectivity, including Sony Entertainment Network™
• Screen Mirroring via Wi-Fi
• RVU (ready for full DirecTV service and HD DVR functionality without additional receivers)- and MHL(ready for mirroring second screens) -ready
• USB playback
• Screen sizes include 70-inch (KDL-70R520A) and 60-inch (KDL-60R520A)

See less See more
#1,627 ·
I have a 70" sitting on the U-shaped stand and it leans back quite a bit. When I saw the 70" Sony on display at a local Costco, that TV leaned back quite a bit as well. This either is by design or is a flaw. If I were using one of those low-height TV furniture, I wouldn't mind, but my entertainment center's height is 30" and the backward tilt is not acceptable.

#1,629 ·
Yeah, I've followed the directions carefully and tightened the screws tightly. It's the Chrome stand or the connection between the stand and the TV that's tilting the TV. I've put a couple of plastic blocks that's about 1/4" in thickness underneath the stand to make the TV sit vertically. If this is a design flaw, I'm very disappointed by Sony. This shouldn't happen with something that costs over $2000.

#1,630 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23537738

I have a 70" sitting on the U-shaped stand and it leans back quite a bit. When I saw the 70" Sony on display at a local Costco, that TV leaned back quite a bit as well. This either is by design or is a flaw. If I were using one of those low-height TV furniture, I wouldn't mind, but my entertainment center's height is 30" and the backward tilt is not acceptable.

It is not by design. My 70" sits on the stand with no tilt.

#1,631 ·
I was the first one here to report on the stand tilting backwards. It's a problem that I don't understand. Both of the 60r550's that I've had here have had that tilt backwards; the second one less though. It was a problem that I predicted the moment I saw it in the box.

Further, the legs are just kludgey, I'm sorry---there is no way that something cast like that could be of a tight enough tolerance to keep the angle perfect. Yes, that stand is a ridiculous disappointment.

#1,632 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23537776

Yeah, I've followed the directions carefully and tightened the screws tightly. It's the Chrome stand or the connection between the stand and the TV that's tilting the TV. I've put a couple of plastic blocks that's about 1/4" in thickness underneath the stand to make the TV sit vertically. If this is a design flaw, I'm very disappointed by Sony. This shouldn't happen with something that costs over $2000.

I can imagine how frustrated you are. Are the two black plastic end caps on the end of the legs? Was wondering if they were left off at the Factory. That would account for some tilt...

#1,635 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23538197

I'm attaching a picture of my TV (70 inch) for those of you who are considering buying one.

I like the TV alot except the backward tilt.

That is a very nice looking entertainment center! Great looking set up you have there!

#1,637 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23538197

I'm attaching a picture of my TV (70 inch) for those of you who are considering buying one.

I like the TV alot except the backward tilt.

where did you get your tv stand at?

how wide are those side shelves? I'm looking for something just like this. I have a wall insert that is about 100" wide

#1,638 ·
I got them from Ashley Furniture. It's part of their Porter Collection.

Here is the link to the TV stand: http://www.ashleyfurniturehomestore.com/Catalog/product.aspx?collection=Porter&id=W697-58

The stand is 72" wide and the left and right piers are 17" wide each. They bought the 3 pieces separately. The pre-configured entertainment sets they have will not accommodate the 70 inch TV, but this configuration I have will. But I'm not sure if I'm doing you a favor by introducing you to Ashley Furniture because they are really really pushy. And they don't seem to have a set price. I hope this is helpful.

#1,640 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23538754

I got them from Ashley Furniture. It's part of their Porter Collection.

Here is the link to the TV stand: http://www.ashleyfurniturehomestore.com/Catalog/product.aspx?collection=Porter&id=W697-58

The stand is 72" wide and the left and right piers are 17" wide each. They bought the 3 pieces separately. The pre-configured entertainment sets they have will not accommodate the 70 inch TV, but this configuration I have will. But I'm not sure if I'm doing you a favor by introducing you to Ashley Furniture because they are really really pushy. And they don't seem to have a set price. I hope this is helpful.

thanks! it's a little to wide for my wall insert =( it's only a 100 wide total

#1,642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23539860

My wife and I swear that when we plug the ethernet cable in to the tv or the PS3 (as opposed to wifi) that Netflix looks that much clearer.

Is that possible?

It could very well be. If your wireless bit rate is not high the Netflix APP on the PS3 or the 550 probably adjusts resolution to match. That is one reason that I went with an ethernet switch behind my entertainment stand. I ran a 50' Cat5 cable around the room from my router to the entertainment stand by the base board to allow for this. Can't beat a wired connection!

#1,643 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23539881

It could very well be. If your wireless bit rate is not high the Netflix APP on the PS3 or the 550 probably adjusts resolution to match. That is one reason that I went with an ethernet switch behind my entertainment stand. I ran a 50' Cat5 cable around the room from my router to the entertainment stand by the base board to allow for this. Can't beat a wired connection!

Thanx. Yea awhile back I ran ethernet to both big screen displays (because the crap Vizio we tried could not maintain a wifi connection, arrrg) and now I am awaiting the ethernet switchers to arrive so that I can have all of the web enabled devices in those locations hard wired.

We thought wired definitely worked better (no skips), but last night, before I placed the order for the switchers, we compared the image of wired to the wifi. For the first time we noticed that the carpet on the Enterprise from "Enterprise" is a deep blue. I hadn't made any changes to any of the settings other than switching the PS3 over to wired. And T'poul's face was so clear. Wow! Yes, I occasionally look at her face.

#1,644 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23539919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23539881

Thanx. Yea awhile back I ran ethernet to both big screen displays (because the crap Vizio we tried could not maintain a wifi connection, arrrg) and now I am awaiting the ethernet switchers to arrive so that I can have all of the web enabled devices in those locations hard wired.

We thought wired definitely worked better (no skips), but last night, before I placed the order for the switchers, we compared the image of wired to the wifi. For the first time we noticed that the carpet on the Enterprise from "Enterprise" is a deep blue. I hadn't made any changes to any of the settings other than switching the PS3 over to wired. And T'poul's face was so clear. Wow! Yes, I occasionally look at her face.

Ever since that one episode we all know about I haven't even been aware she had a face....

#1,645 ·

Quote:

my netflix is super clear on wifi. I don't run into any skips or buffering and it plays through just fine.

I do have cox 25mb download internet speeds and an asus n56 router so maybe that is the case

also check out this information regarding netflix super HD
https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731

#1,646 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23540181

my netflix is super clear on wifi. I don't run into any skips or buffering and it plays through just fine.

I do have cox 25mb download internet speeds and an asus n56 router so maybe that is the case

also check out this information regarding netflix super HD
https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731

Not available in my area with my DSL. I've heard it is if I switch to Cox Cable, but.....

They cost more, have less reliable speeds and I've already eaten up all the cable lines in my house running the roof antenna. Gotta love free HD tv.

Fwiw, my DSL is 10mbs and reliably I get that 24/7 for $40/month ($43 with taxes). Don't really wanna pay more.

#1,647 ·
Guys, Just FYI, I would like to share what I noticed about the stand.

The picture I'm posting is a side view of the 70", taken from BestBuy's site.

If you open a notepad window (any window really) on your computer and put the vertical edge of the window next to the TV in the image, you will see that the TV is perfectly vertical.

But if you put the horizontal edge of the window next to the lowest points of the stand image, you will see that the lowest point on the front side is lower than the back side.

And this is about how much my TV tilts.

This tilt may be by design.

I'm going to keep the TV either way, but I'm really really curious.

I am going to contact Sony, and let you know what they say.

#1,648 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23540564

Not available in my area with my DSL. I've heard it is if I switch to Cox Cable, but.....

They cost more, have less reliable speeds and I've already eaten up all the cable lines in my house running the roof antenna. Gotta love free HD tv.

Fwiw, my DSL is 10mbs and reliably I get that 24/7 for $40/month ($43 with taxes). Don't really wanna pay more.

i pay $27 a month for 18mb down

but I also pay $42 for cable subscription and $8 for the hd receiver

#1,649 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23540968

If you open a notepad window (any window really) on your computer and put the vertical edge of the window next to the TV in the image, you will see that the TV is perfectly vertical.

But if you put the horizontal edge of the window next to the lowest points of the stand image, you will see that the lowest point on the front side is lower than the back side.

I looked at your post here, and played around with rotating it in an image editor.  I'm surprised I didn't notice this myself!!!  Especially because the tilt really bothers me.

But that said, many people here say that their TV is perfectly perpendicular.

Huh.  I wish there were some way to dismantle a straight TV and my TV and look c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y at the stands and legs to see what's up.

I've wondered several things:
  • Is it because the legs are cast inaccurately?  I REALLY HATE the kludgey way they seem to assemble together.  Just not at all typical of a Sony product.  No amount of tightening can make those things "perfect".
  • Is it because the metal isn't precisely "bent"?
  • Is it because the pads under the front part of the stand come out too far?  Or that the pads on the rear don't come out enough?

As I said before, I *knew* the design was a potential problem the very moment I saw the parts to it.

#1,651 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King  /t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/1620#post_23540968

doing this test, when I measure the middle center of the tv. that is off, which would compensate for the stand being slighting forward in this picture.

I cannot comment whether or not my tv tilts yet since it's sitting on the ground on my carpet so I can't give it a fair assessment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.