Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

Our thread starter tgm1024 had two spreadsheets listed in the first post of the thread, but at the moment, both of those links are gone. I seem to recall that there were some difficulties with the way people were entering/changing data, which was one of the reasons why one was editable and the other was locked.

Perhaps something else happened and he's taken it offline for the moment. Perhaps he'll update us later on the status.

Meantime, a bunch of us posted our settings in individual posts in the early part of the thread. You could certainly check those and try them.

Harry

I'm checking on that now.  There was no intent on my part to remove anything.

EDIT: VERY disturbing.  My initial post has somehow reverted to an older version.  The editing changes that I've made over time are gone.  I am not sure what on earth happened here.

I could not edit that back to the original version if I tried.  That version was already gone before I made the most recent edit.  I'm talking to the moderators about this one: I'm mystified and feel a little like I'm suddenly on the I.S.S. enterprise.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I've made a post in the forum operations center about this.  I've also changed my PW.

I'll get to the bottom of this one.

In the meantime, here are the links:

EDIT: I removed the links from this particular post.  Please use the ones that are now back in the original post #1, (and only those).  Thanks.

Good grief.  After all this work, it's really frustrating...

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #2073 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Don't just volunteer things like that.  It's absolutely not true.  And a complete misread of the data involved by very careless reviewers.

Those are two disparate technologies.  Adopting 4K has absolutely nothing with abandoning or furthering 3D.  Nothing.

What you're seeing is a market refocusing on all the new things on the plate.  3D was the only new thing on the horizon at one point, so the thrust was there.  Now there's a lot of energy needed to solve the next steps.

If you want, feel free to engage in this thread here on the subject, and see how and why the OP's position was carefully beaten back.

My guess is that if anything, they (tv marketers) will be able to push 4k based on the sales pitch that your 4K3D tv will be giving you "True 1080 or more" to each eye instead of splitting it. And that just sounds cool - 4K3D. lol

Curious thing, Blu-rays are being clearanced like I've not seen before. My guess, get BDs in the hands of 3D tv owners and then convince them that they really should have gotten 4K based upon the first statement above. And remember that Sony makes both movies and displays. They've got to keep convincing us that we are missing something.

Either way and totally regardless if my guesses are right, I gave up on DVD for BD years ago when I went BIG screen. I just got into 3D, and quite accidentally with this tv. And I expect this Sony to satisfy me for the next 5 years until it becomes too small. biggrin.gif

TGM, did you get to see the pics I posted? I know, not great pics. But you get to see what you wanted?

Oh and anyone recall the fix for the lavender lips?
post #2074 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have a large photo collection (10,000+ pics) stored on 300+ folders on my PC. When I try to access these folders through my R550 I cannot see all of the folders... and I can only see a reduced number of pics within the available folders.

Is this an issue with the TV or my home PC (4y/o dell)?

Do anyone has an idea of where to start to diagnose the problem?

Thanks
post #2075 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

My guess is that if anything, they (tv marketers) will be able to push 4k based on the sales pitch that your 4K3D tv will be giving you "True 1080 or more" to each eye instead of splitting it. And that just sounds cool - 4K3D. lol

Curious thing, Blu-rays are being clearanced like I've not seen before.

[.....]

TGM, did you get to see the pics I posted? I know, not great pics. But you get to see what you wanted?

Off topic 4K 3D discussion :) (Click to show)

The reason for the 1080p "or more" that you may seeing mentioned (in various ways) is because the vertical resolution of 4K's 3840x2160 is hacked in half.  This yields you 3840x1080.  Now it gets a little tricky when viewing 3D blue-ray, because it means that the normally 1920 horizontal resolution is free for up-convert.  This get's even more tricky: Some of what LG claims (not always BTW) is that in passive 3D in 2K they were 540 lines followed by the missing 540 lines and back and forth (sort of in an interlaced way).  This would mean that in true 4K3D, you get 3480x2160 pixels of information but only 3480x1080 at a time.  OYE.  I wish they'd make up their minds.

In any case, what's likely happening (IMO) is that a 2K 3D feed is going through their normal 2D up-convert algorithm (whichever they choose) and then going through whatever playing around they prefer for passive.

BDP's are being dumped like crazy likely because the public is scared to buy anything that isn't future proof.  Also, the normal supply chain is being revamped to handle the eventual 4K stuff (mostly hinging on HDMI 2.0 IMO).  Let's move this over to one of the other threads on the topic.

I saw the pics: I liked your ceiling.  The wall........I'm not sure I have an opinion on it yet......it's nothing I've ever seen.  I almost looks like you're a fan of a 1 foot bezel all around.  LOL.....  PS: The tool boxes for dressers is inspired.

I have a bunch of settings that has 95% squashed the cases of the LLE  (Lavender Lips Effect---LOL).  But it still shows up periodically----sometimes as that road-rash neck thing too.  I'll go look them up for you soon.  I'm not posting them per-se because my OCD refuses to let anyone see something that isn't finished and might cause them further trouble.  Plus, there's a 10% occurrence of a washed out picture as a result.  It should be freaking ILLEGAL for individual channels, and content providers, etc., to make their own decisions about how to interpret the color space.  ARRRRRGH.

post #2076 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I had the opportunity last week to re visit a friends Sony 55BX520 that I set up for him a year ago. This is far from a flagship model but the PQ seemed quite nice at the time. Now I like my 70R550's PQ a lot so I was surprised to see the 55BX520's crystal clear picture compared to my 550. I'm not sure what screen the 520 utilizes but it was like comparing a glass screen with the 520 to a heavily matted screen with the 550.

Save yourself the agony of comparing your screen to a friend's.  I wonder about this kind of thing myself, but I decided that there are such differences from channel to channel on my set that if someone visited after watching the USA network on their system and then saw HBO on my set, they'd leave depressed.  Or less clumsy words to that effect.

post #2077 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Off topic 4K 3D discussion :) (Click to show)
The reason for the 1080p "or more" that you may seeing mentioned (in various ways) is because the vertical resolution of 4K's 3840x2160 is hacked in half.  This yields you 3840x1080.  Now it gets a little tricky when viewing 3D blue-ray, because it means that the normally 1920 horizontal resolution is free for up-convert.  This get's even more tricky: Some of what LG claims (not always BTW) is that in passive 3D in 2K they were 540 lines followed by the missing 540 lines and back and forth (sort of in an interlaced way).  This would mean that in true 4K3D, you get 3480x2160 pixels of information but only 3480x1080 at a time.  OYE.  I wish they'd make up their minds.

In any case, what's likely happening (IMO) is that a 2K 3D feed is going through their normal 2D up-convert algorithm (whichever they choose) and then going through whatever playing around they prefer for passive.

BDP's are being dumped like crazy likely because the public is scared to buy anything that isn't future proof.  Also, the normal supply chain is being revamped to handle the eventual 4K stuff (mostly hinging on HDMI 2.0 IMO).  Let's move this over to one of the other threads on the topic.

I saw the pics: I liked your ceiling.  The wall........I'm not sure I have an opinion on it yet......it's nothing I've ever seen.  I almost looks like you're a fan of a 1 foot bezel all around.  LOL.....  PS: The tool boxes for dressers is inspired.

I have a bunch of settings that has 95% squashed the cases of the LLE  (Lavender Lips Effect---LOL).  But it still shows up periodically----sometimes as that road-rash neck thing too.  I'll go look them up for you soon.  I'm not posting them per-se because my OCD refuses to let anyone see something that isn't finished and might cause them further trouble.  Plus, there's a 10% occurrence of a washed out picture as a result.  It should be freaking ILLEGAL for individual channels, and content providers, etc., to make their own decisions about how to interpret the color space.  ARRRRRGH.

Thanks. If it makes you feel better you can pm me the settings. lol

The wall thing came from having just discovered something about making a projector screen. Trial and error revealed to me that making the wall around the projector screen a flat black really makes the image pop out of the wall. It gives the illusion that you are looking through a window. You see a bright image surrounded by nothingness. Like your love of bias lighting, I absolutely love a flat black invisible border for a movie screen. Now does that work for the tv? I don't know. But that was where it came from.

I do think that the blacks of the image look blacker once you realize that they are blacker than what you "thought" was a black rectangle that is actually charcoal. Sort of like how a white wall will make the blacks blacker. But I don't suffer from the whites being degraded by a white wall having used charcoal and grey. Again, is it working? I don't know. An interesting side effect is that the wall completely disappears at night if there's no lights on.

And as far as the tool boxes...only the tip of this crazy iceberg. The tv's opposing wall is covered with hand and footprints painted on. Painted street sign arrows throughout the house pointing the way to the guest bath with a door painted like an outhouse. Actual aluminum diamond plate for kitchen backsplash. Beer bottles glued to the walls. Broken glass shards for bathroom backsplash. Flat black living / theater room with black shag carpet. Oh, and a stripper pole.....
This is odd even for Vegas ;-)
post #2078 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Thanks TGM for reposting the spreadsheets! I was really loving this set watching shows/movies on my HD cable box. But I had not gotten around to watching anything from my 3 year old Sony Bluray player until a buddy came over the other night to check out my new TV. I was shocked at how bad Avatar and several other movies looked. I really want a film to look like a film, expecially considering how much money was spent to make all that CGI look real in the theater. But the "sharp" look made everything look too sharp and too fake. I did wonder if there's something set wrong with my Bluray player since films from my cable box still look "film-like". The cable box may only be 720P. But films always looked like films on my old XBR46 and my JVC front projector with an admittably cheap screan. I'll check out the various settings and see what happens. I do need a new 3D player to check out the 3D appearance. Um, I did put on some new HDMI cables from Monoprice. Nah, that couldn't be it. rolleyes.gif
post #2079 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post

Ok, smurf blue I guess is a bit of a stretch lol - I would say the blacks have a blue tint to them. I am currently using vivid, color temp is set to warm. Advanced settings not available. Prior it was set to Standard but not 100% on what the adv black and contrast enhance was set at.....I want to say med to high. I will give these other users settings a whirl and see what happens.

I too am having this "blue" problem. It's very noticeable and distracting. Have had the 70" a few days now, everything great except this. Really hope I can fix it with settings and that it's not permanent.
post #2080 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stracenska View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post

Ok, smurf blue I guess is a bit of a stretch lol - I would say the blacks have a blue tint to them. I am currently using vivid, color temp is set to warm. Advanced settings not available. Prior it was set to Standard but not 100% on what the adv black and contrast enhance was set at.....I want to say med to high. I will give these other users settings a whirl and see what happens.

I too am having this "blue" problem. It's very noticeable and distracting. Have had the 70" a few days now, everything great except this. Really hope I can fix it with settings and that it's not permanent.

Hmmmm......ok.

Not sure how much you two have settings in common, but a couple things:

Rule 1:  Stay. Away. From. Vivid.  It's probably the most absurd of all conceivable configuration sets, and it should have been named: "Best Buy", because I think that's precisely what it was for: competing against the fusion reactor lighting and making their canned video "pop".  Oye.

Rule 2.  Don't tell anyone about fight club.

Try some of the Custom settings in the spreadsheet?

post #2081 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

Save yourself the agony of comparing your screen to a friend's.  I wonder about this kind of thing myself, but I decided that there are such differences from channel to channel on my set that if someone visited after watching the USA network on their system and then saw HBO on my set, they'd leave depressed.  Or less clumsy words to that effect.
I've been around long enough to know not to compare USA to HBO as well as his Comcast to my Dish Network. I spent a week there and the difference was pretty dramatic and I noticed it instantly. I'm coming from a 60" older model Sony. It's no big deal, it is what it is but I'm a pretty observant and curious guy. I also calibrated his set a year ago and until my 550 I was comparing to my old 60 LCOS. I just raised the question in my mind if a different screen material is in play and if it alone could make this much difference.
post #2082 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm......ok.

Not sure how much you two have settings in common, but a couple things:

Rule 1:  Stay. Away. From. Vivid.  It's probably the most absurd of all conceivable configuration sets, and it should have been named: "Best Buy", because I think that's precisely what it was for: competing against the fusion reactor lighting and making their canned video "pop".  Oye.

Rule 2.  Don't tell anyone about fight club.

Try some of the Custom settings in the spreadsheet?

Hi, tgm, you know what's weird is I don't have the choice of selecting "Vivid" or "Custom" from the "Scene Select" menu (I do have KDL-70R550A, and the manual shows these options, but not the TV). My options are 1. Auto 2. General 3. Music 4. Cinema 5. Game
Am I missing something here, or did these options change when I upgraded the firmware?

I have changed all settings to see if they have an effect on this an nothing gets rid of it. I'm now inclined to say this is more like ghosting, because it affects moving images by leaving a very short blue haze behind the object moving.

Below are an image from "The Dark Knight" Blu-ray. The second is "Orange is the New Black" via Netflix.

post #2083 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
On the remote select Options then Picture Mode and you will see Vivid, Standard and Custom.
post #2084 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

On the remote select Options then Picture Mode and you will see Vivid, Standard and Custom.

I don't have a "Picture Mode" when I press Options. This is the menu I get when I press Options (the highlighted selection is "3D Menu"):

That's why I'm wondering if I'm on a different firmware from you guys.
post #2085 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, you are almost certainly in "store" mode, or whatever it is called.  It's a reduced settings mode to keep customers (and stoopid sales staff) from mucking things up too much.

You can reset that by entering (if I'm recalling this correctly) this part of the menu:

Home -> Settings -> Setup -> Initial Setup

It's a kind of setup wizard and you'll be asked what mode you want.  I think you select "home" when it asks.  I'd test it out now, but I'm afraid of entering a reset that wipes my settings out.

post #2086 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM

Don't press options. Press "home" and then "settings". All will become clear.
post #2087 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks, but I've been going these menus all day. Pressing Home then Settings doesn't give me the option for Viivid or Custom either. I can't stress enough now that I appear to have completely different menus/firmware from you guys. Even my manual is different than what I've actually got on-screen.
post #2088 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, but I've been going these menus all day. Pressing Home then Settings doesn't give me the option for Viivid or Custom either. I can't stress enough now that I appear to have completely different menus/firmware from you guys. Even my manual is different than what I've actually got on-screen.

Read my last post.  It's updated.  You're in that weirdo store mode.

post #2089 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Press home. Then settings. Then setup. Then scroll down on the right to product support. And finally "contact Sony". That'll tell ya your model and firmware. If that does not work then you need to call Sony or a young priest and an old priest.

Ignore me. Tgm seems to be onto something.
post #2090 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Read my last post.  It's updated.  You're in that weirdo store mode.
Thanks, tgm, that's why my settings options were missing! Although weird because I seriously thought I had already set it up in Home mode, but whatever. Fooled around with some settings, nothing so far is getting rid of the blue motion haze. Might have to return this set.
post #2091 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM

Anyone is experiencing a rebooting from their R550A when you disable light sensor?

Since the latest firmware if i disable light sensor , I cannot use the picture mode Vivid or 3d, the tv will reboot on it`s own.

Temporary Sony given me a workaround by switching the picture mode to Custom and doing my own personal configuration.
Still i am curious to know if i am the only one having this issue.
post #2092 of 4269 Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM

Liked: 11
So i'm getting a 2100$ credit for my Samsung 55" 7000 tv, screen uniformity was a big problem...

I have to buy from TheBrick store and they are quite limited, i'm looking for 60" this time instead of 55", i have two options, this Sony model or the Panasonic TCL58E60 which's got a great gaming mode ive heard.

I'm not looking for the best PQ in the world.. i just want a TV without major problems, i would take less picture quality for a tv without uniformity issue, or slow lag imput, or ghosting and such...

So you guys would go for the Sony ?
Semp1 likes this.
post #2093 of 4269 Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 AM

I got a good deal from the guy for this Sony 60" this is my 2nd Sony led 3d tv. My 1st one was hx820 I love it. Best PQ and so far maybe I'm just lucky that the hx820 and this Sony didn't get any issue. ON the PQ I think it's really fair for the price tag specially it's from Sony. The 3d was stunning! Even this is a first Sony passive 3d. But I think they nailed it! That's my input for the Sony tv. So good luck buddy!!smile.gif
post #2094 of 4269 Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While dealing with one of the head moderators, the first post magically reappeared.

We still don't know what's going on.

A glitch---I'm suspecting the database pool, but basically it looks like it's back to normal.  Thanks everyone.

Please let me know ASAP if this happens again!

post #2095 of 4269 Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks, tgm, that's why my settings options were missing! Although weird because I seriously thought I had already set it up in Home mode, but whatever. Fooled around with some settings, nothing so far is getting rid of the blue motion haze. Might have to return this set.

Usually I see that sort of motion haze when Cinemotion is set to Auto 1, and MotionFlow to High.

Try Auto 2, Motionflow High. Same thing?
post #2096 of 4269 Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 28
delete
post #2097 of 4269 Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangedman View Post

So i'm getting a 2100$ credit for my Samsung 55" 7000 tv, screen uniformity was a big problem...

I have to buy from TheBrick store and they are quite limited, i'm looking for 60" this time instead of 55", i have two options, this Sony model or the Panasonic TCL58E60 which's got a great gaming mode ive heard.

I'm not looking for the best PQ in the world.. i just want a TV without major problems, i would take less picture quality for a tv without uniformity issue, or slow lag imput, or ghosting and such...

So you guys would go for the Sony ?

there is always a possibility that you will end up with a tv that has issues. So if you really enjoyed the 55" just try to change it for another 55" samsung to see if you got a better set. Same goes for this sony and the panasonic.

I was lucky enough to get a perfect set out of the box on my first set. While a few others in this thread have not been so lucky.
post #2098 of 4269 Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

I was lucky enough to get a perfect set out of the box on my first set. While a few others in this thread have not been so lucky.

FWIW, it does seem that the most problematic sets in the beginning were the 60".  That's among the reasons I would choose a very high volume retailer like Amazon: they're less likely to have older hardware because they move so much stuff.  My 2nd 60" is awesome.  My 1st went back because it had the blob-effect.

post #2099 of 4269 Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, the blue column is my currently worked on settings.  I'm not done, so don't anyone go running with it.  I'm posting it here because on my set it does a pretty good job at beating down most of the lavendar lips and razor-burn effects.  Note: you'll notice I'm not using any of the fancy-shmancy options----I will be adding these one at a time (over time) to see the effect.  This is time-consuming as hell.

MP, let me know what my column of settings looks like on your set.  There are a few cases of washed-out-ed-ness that I'm not happy with, but I can't predict where or when they occur.

(EDIT: Removed Image)

post #2100 of 4269 Old 08-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Happy 70" owner here. Local BB wouldn't entertain matching Amazon's current price. Ordered on Friday night, showed up Tuesday afternoon, standard shipping......thought that was pretty darn quick for Houston to Iowa.
Leaves one weekend for getting it dialed in and totally wired up before the football season starts.
Big step up from the 65" Mits CRT rear projection unit that finally went to that great craigslisting in the sky.
The "light sensor" auto dimming feature should be shut off or you will hate this display.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page