Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the new term LLE. I still get it no matter what setting, and I hate it. I then realized that what the heck, it might be the make up artists fault! Anyway, I just discovered something by accidant and m wondering if anyone else has run across this, I was watching a nature type of show on Netflix streaming through my Roku 2 HD. Right now my Roku is connected via HDMI to my Denon 5308 AV receiver (antiquated already- arrrrg), and from there to my Sony. I then decided just to see what the picture looked like using the Sony's "smart" Netflix app. The picture quality was significantly better! I thought that perhaps my Denon was doing something wacky to the picture, so I hooked the Roku directly into the Sony. I could not see any difference between that and it going through my Denon. So how is it the Sony's Netflix app produces such a more clearer and more vivid pic? Keep in mind the interent speed in all cases is the same. I have a ticket about this with Roku support, and so far they are scratching their heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Are the Roku and the TV wire connected to the Internet? If not, wifi is 31 flavours.

I ran Ethernet to ALL my web enabled av equipment and it made the single greatest improvement with all streaming. Some things look truly amazing - BD quality images. It blows me away at how great it looks.

Also, do you have the 1080 Roku?
post #2163 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonbyn View Post

I love the new term LLE. I still get it no matter what setting, and I hate it. I then realized that what the heck, it might be the make up artists fault! Anyway, I just discovered something by accidant and m wondering if anyone else has run across this, I was watching a nature type of show on Netflix streaming through my Roku 2 HD. Right now my Roku is connected via HDMI to my Denon 5308 AV receiver (antiquated already- arrrrg), and from there to my Sony. I then decided just to see what the picture looked like using the Sony's "smart" Netflix app. The picture quality was significantly better! I thought that perhaps my Denon was doing something wacky to the picture, so I hooked the Roku directly into the Sony. I could not see any difference between that and it going through my Denon. So how is it the Sony's Netflix app produces such a more clearer and more vivid pic? Keep in mind the interent speed in all cases is the same. I have a ticket about this with Roku support, and so far they are scratching their heads.

I think just because of the speed of your Internet? Do the roku connected using Ethernet cable or over wifi? And how about the tv? That's make diff. Like above mentioned its good to connect all to Ethernet cable for all the devices so u can stream 1080p without getting any problem. I got a "lg upgrader p520" and seem to be same as my Sony tv. But I have to wait for the lg upgrader at least for 5 mins before I can get full 1080p over Netflix because I connected via wifi. But my Sony get like pretty instantly 1080p streaming hulu and Netflix.
post #2164 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Liked: 28
just found some new picture settings i'm in love with.check it out and let me know what you think
post #2165 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

just found some new picture settings i'm in love with.check it out and let me know what you think

I would - but you neglected to tell us what they are...

[Edit: Ah - I see - they're in the spreadsheet.]

Harry
post #2166 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. All streaming is done exactly the same via WiFi (cable modem), so the source of the content for the Roku and the Sony is the same. The only difference would be how each of those devices processes the info
post #2167 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. All streaming is done exactly the same via WiFi (cable modem), so the source of the content for the Roku and the Sony is the same. The only difference would be how each of those devices processes the info

Yep. The Vizio and the D-link Movie Nite I had couldn't process jack crap. The Sony does a good job while the PS3 does a great job and an excellent job wired.
post #2168 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Roku 2 HD only outputs in 720p.

Also depending on your Internet provider you may be getting superhd using Sony tv Netflix .
http://netflix.com/superhd

If you check compatibility device list the roku that outputs 1080p will provide superhd quality picture.
post #2169 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 PM

Hey guys. I'm planning to pair my 60" with a ht-ct660 it was 46" long. Any advice? There's a sharp one that on sale at best buy for 299.99 will match the 60" perfectly. Any advice??? Thanks in advance!!
post #2170 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huanvanhuynh View Post

Hey guys. I'm planning to pair my 60" with a ht-ct660 it was 46" long. Any advice? There's a sharp one that on sale at best buy for 299.99 will match the 60" perfectly. Any advice??? Thanks in advance!!

Really depends on you. I have the s4215 with the 70" r550a and I don't mind that the soundboard and the tv are not the same length.
post #2171 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

Quote:

Really depends on you. I have the s4215 with the 70" r550a and I don't mind that the soundboard and the tv are not the same length.

I don't really care if same length. But of course not too short. 😁
post #2172 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 PM

I personally don't like soundbars. I do like either a full HTReceiver set up with 5.1 or better and if not that then just some small speakers placed about the room to fill the room with sound, albeit not great sound. Soundbars, imho, are too expensive for the poor sound they give. By poor I simply mean that it comes from upfront only. Barely better than the tv speakers themselves.

Again, just my 20 cents.
post #2173 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Not all streaming is the same. Not all devices stream the same. You could have the exact same content streaming to 3 different devices and all connected the exact same way and you could get different results because of the way the devices themselves handle it. I'm sure TGM could add a little more here....and I expect he will. biggrin.gif (that was actually a compliment)

I stream 99.9% with the PS3. It is great for that. And of course it's ethernet connected.
post #2174 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I've had the Vizio VHT510 5.1 soundbar system which is the previous version of the 2013 Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1 soundbar system for about 2 1/2 years and absolutely love it. It's WAY better than just a standard 2.1 or 3.1 soundbar setup since you get rear speakers, but without out all the complication and wires! Once you get the settings right for your room it handles TV. movies, and even music very well with pretty darn good clarity, crispness, and volume. It's also nice that it converts 2 ch into convincing faux 5.1 along with support for real DD and DTS 5.1 signals.....if your looking for something bigger I'd wait till fall cause Vizios coming out with a larger 50"- 60" version of the S425w-B4. Both versions are also highly recommended by Cnet too!...if that matters lol smile.gif
post #2175 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Carter View Post

Quote:

I've had the Vizio VHT510 5.1 soundbar system which is the previous version of the 2013 Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1 soundbar system for about 2 1/2 years and absolutely love it. It's WAY better than just a standard 2.1 or 3.1 soundbar setup since you get rear speakers, but without out all the complication and wires! Once you get the settings right for your room it handles TV. movies, and even music very well with pretty darn good clarity, crispness, and volume. It's also nice that it converts 2 ch into convincing faux 5.1 along with support for real DD and DTS 5.1 signals.....if your looking for something bigger I'd wait till fall cause Vizios coming out with a larger 50"- 60" version of the S425w-B4. Both versions are also highly recommended by Cnet too!...if that matters lol smile.gif

Thanks for the good advice!! The reason I'm asking about the Sony is. 1st I got 7.1 setup already. I just need convenient just for watching antenna. I don't need to fire up the 7.1 all the time. Not when I'm playing ps3 or watching and music. 😁 The sound bar pretty much for watching news. Beside I just open a Sony card and will get 100 statement credit if I make a first purchase from Sony. So why not take advantage of it. If they give me option I definitely will get the vizio 5.1😁
I'll think about it and I might wait for the vizio. Thanks.
post #2176 of 4346 Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

I personally don't like soundbars. I do like either a full HTReceiver set up with 5.1 or better and if not that then just some small speakers placed about the room to fill the room with sound, albeit not great sound. Soundbars, imho, are too expensive for the poor sound they give. By poor I simply mean that it comes from upfront only. Barely better than the tv speakers themselves.

Again, just my 20 cents.

The Vizio s4251 is a sound bar with a wireless sub with 2 rear speakers that plug into the wireless sub. Costco sold it for $220 ish like 2 months ago
post #2177 of 4346 Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 AM

anybody here successful enough to screen mirror a galaxy s4 to his R550 set?

thanks
post #2178 of 4346 Old 08-25-2013, 06:18 AM

Help!!! Does anyone know how to turn off the annoying warning sign " unsupported audio format" ???? My 70r550 is connect via HDMI and everytime it sense a DTS audio source, I get the warning sign on the lower right corner. Thanks in advance smile.gif
post #2179 of 4346 Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Any one else having problems getting the Sony Entertainment Network to launch when you hit the Blue SEN button? All other internet features seem to work. ie Netflix Hulu...
post #2180 of 4346 Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
OK, Sony Entertainment Network was not working on the TV. Checked online for status and information said it was up. Checked other Internet features such as Netflix and all were working. I had been setting up an UltraViolet account which is affiliated with Sony Pictures and then the SEN button did not work. Thinking something got messed up with device registration or something I did a factory rest on the TV and set everything back up. I checked SEN again and still no joy. Frustrated I left to do something else for an hour or two. When I came back and checked it the SEN button now successfully loaded Sony Entertainment Network. Go figure... I guess I jumped the gun and thru a few hoops for nothing....
post #2181 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 AM

I love my ps3 for bluray and 3D content!
post #2182 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Hello,

Last night a thin black line appeared in the middle of my screen. has anyone had this issue?
post #2183 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by palaciosc View Post

Hello,

Last night a thin black line appeared in the middle of my screen. has anyone had this issue?

Haven't heard of it yet, but the model is still very young.  I've heard of such things on other sets and it's always a return/repair situation.

Not that it matters IMO, but I'm curious: Does this happen with all HDMI inputs, and all setting modes (vivid / custom / etc.) ?  I expect it will, but it helps to fault-isolate this thing.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #2184 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I noticed that no one has set this up using cinema picture mode settings yet.  It is confusing to find.

Guys, I still don't understand this Options vs. Home->Settings thing.

There is only 3 options for me, Custom, Normal or Vivid. Unless you are talking about something else.

Sony has completely F'd up the way they manage their settings IMO.  If one of my guys came to me with this design, I would said immediately: "Guys, remember the Law of Least Surprise¹.  Redesign immediately."

Look under Options -> Scene select -> Cinema  (once this is chosen, it places "cinema" as the "picture mode" in the regular Home -> Settings.  I don't yet understand how this was supposed to work, nor am I sure what settings are replaced when or which are "remembered" when switching back and forth.

Does anyone here have an intuition set into this craziness to explain?

¹ There are a few names for this

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #2185 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Haven't heard of it yet, but the model is still very young.  I've heard of such things on other sets and it's always a return/repair situation.

Not that it matters IMO, but I'm curious: Does this happen with all HDMI inputs, and all setting modes (vivid / custom / etc.) ?  I expect it will, but it helps to fault-isolate this thing.
I'm going to see again when I get home tonight. Try different settings and inputs. I have a feeling it will still be there and will call Sony if so.
post #2186 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM

Noticed last night LLE is 100% not the tv.

During some scenes of Once Upon a Time on Hulu Prince Charming's lips went from lavender to normal as the same scene changed camera views. When they shot him from one direction his lips were fine and from another they were silly lavender. The scene was going from one view to another but supposedly was to be taking place all at the same time, lighting, location, etc. and it was a non-action scene where 2 characters were simply talking.

Anyhow, point being that his lips were the only color change on screen. I'm giving up trying to adjust LLE out. It's obviously 100% the source material.

Also, not that it much matters, but I think it's really more "pink" lip effect (and neck & ears) than lavender.
post #2187 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

Noticed last night LLE is 100% not the tv.

During some scenes of Once Upon a Time on Hulu Prince Charming's lips went from lavender to normal as the same scene changed camera views. When they shot him from one direction his lips were fine and from another they were silly lavender. The scene was going from one view to another but supposedly was to be taking place all at the same time, lighting, location, etc. and it was a non-action scene where 2 characters were simply talking.

Anyhow, point being that his lips were the only color change on screen. I'm giving up trying to adjust LLE out. It's obviously 100% the source material.

Also, not that it much matters, but I think it's really more "pink" lip effect (and neck & ears) than lavender.

I don't think LLE is the source material entirely.  I mean yes, to some extent, you can always say that everything depends upon the source once you have a TV that sporadically seems to "work".

But I think there's a mapping within the TV that has an odd line within it that skips within the color model over to adding blue once red reaches a certain level.  Or hue.  Not quite sure what is going on.

post #2188 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Hello guys! Anyone here In forum managed to mirror your iphone to the tv? U can mirror it via wifi right? How to do that? Is there any ios app to download to mirror it or to control using iphone app? Thanks.
post #2189 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskentsony View Post

thanks

Had no luck trying to miracast with a samsung tablet and a LG smart phone. I saw somewhere on sony's web site saying the miracast only works with sony android devices, which is a big turn off. They should make it work with ANY android devices which supports miracast.
post #2190 of 4346 Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debugger919 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskentsony View Post

thanks

Had no luck trying to miracast with a samsung tablet and a LG smart phone. I saw somewhere on sony's web site saying the miracast only works with sony android devices, which is a big turn off. They should make it work with ANY android devices which supports miracast.

On sony android devices or only on sony android devices?  I didn't see that.  Do you have a link?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page