Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 4197 Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudweiser View Post

Yea I read a lot of reviews on the vizios being poor. I just never liked sony but the r550 looked pretty damn good in best buy and pc Richard. I'm just hoping for a bright picture and being able to play Xbox on it. I'm sure the r550 will be good enough for my needs. Thank you

Well there's LOTS of people that dump on Vizio cause they're not a "name brand" or because they expect Vizio to be some secret holy grail electronics brand. I have a couple Vizio products(22" LED and a 5.1 surround system) that I've had for over 2 years that I've never had issues with. However always remember no matter what the product is some are going to be lemons...there's no getting away from that, no matter what the brand is! I will say I whole heartedly trust 50+ year established brands like Sony or Panasonic the most, never been disappointed by any of their products once! As far as gaming goes I have yet to read a single review of poor gaming performance on this or any 2013 Sony TV, after all Sony makes the PS3/PS4 and you better believe they want you enjoying gaming on a Sony TV! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 4197 Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 AM

Liked: 13
If I could find the 60" 550a for less than $1200, I think I'd bite immediately. The 550a is still one of my short listers to buy right now but I am having trouble investing in another 50". I want bigger frown.gif
post #2253 of 4197 Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Carter View Post

Well there's LOTS of people that dump on Vizio cause they're not a "name brand" or because they expect Vizio to be some secret holy grail electronics brand. I have a couple Vizio products(22" LED and a 5.1 surround system) that I've had for over 2 years that I've never had issues with. However always remember no matter what the product is some are going to be lemons...there's no getting away from that, no matter what the brand is! I will say I whole heartedly trust 50+ year established brands like Sony or Panasonic the most, never been disappointed by any of their products once! As far as gaming goes I have yet to read a single review of poor gaming performance on this or any 2013 Sony TV, after all Sony makes the PS3/PS4 and you better believe they want you enjoying gaming on a Sony TV! smile.gif
It should be noted that when I was working with Vizio customer service on the problem they had said that there was a known issue of Vizio communicating with some Apple products like my Apple router and that they had not found a solution yet. Hmm, let's see....Apple is not a new company by any means and the very fact that Vizio cannot make their tvs communicate with some of the best products on the market.... Sony was plug and play for me. I have real issue with products that expect the consumer to jump through hoops because they released a sub par product.

Vizio, as a company, was formed to offer features at a value to tap into a subprime market. They have since increased their quality of products, but that has not been my personal experience. For those that aren't aware, Vizio doesn't actually "make" anything. For better or worse.
post #2254 of 4197 Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

It should be noted that when I was working with Vizio customer service on the problem they had said that there was a known issue of Vizio communicating with some Apple products like my Apple router and that they had not found a solution yet. Hmm, let's see....Apple is not a new company by any means and the very fact that Vizio cannot make their tvs communicate with some of the best products on the market.... Sony was plug and play for me. I have real issue with products that expect the consumer to jump through hoops because they released a sub par product.

Vizio, as a company, was formed to offer features at a value to tap into a subprime market. They have since increased their quality of products, but that has not been my personal experience. For those that aren't aware, Vizio doesn't actually "make" anything. For better or worse.

The only thing I'd really say about that is Apple products can be some of the most irritating and picky things to deal with! Apple devices really only love working with other Apple devices, non-Apple capability is an afterthought for Apple... always has been! Don't get me wrong a router is a router, generally and Vizio should defiantly make sure there aren't bugs in their software before they release products. I'm however not one to write off a company over one bad experience, unless it was absolutely horrible. Otherwise I stick with the old adage of 3 strikes your out! smile.gif
post #2255 of 4197 Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 10
Has anybody experienced the 60" freezing? I bought this tv last month and my wife was watching netflix the other day and the tv froze on netflix. She said she tried to use the remote to turn the tv off and the tv was unresponsive. She had to unplug it to turn it off. I cant verify this or see it for myself cause i'm in Afghanistan.
post #2256 of 4197 Old 09-10-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejaclue View Post

Has anybody experienced the 60" freezing? I bought this tv last month and my wife was watching netflix the other day and the tv froze on netflix. She said she tried to use the remote to turn the tv off and the tv was unresponsive. She had to unplug it to turn it off. I cant verify this or see it for myself cause i'm in Afghanistan.

Are you in the US military?  If so, thank you.

The only unresponsive moment I found was with my very first panel (that went back for other reasons) and it somehow started munging up all 3D information.  It was fixed immediately with a firmware update.  TVs are shipped with old firmware, and sometimes don't update immediately on the first power-up.  Has she tried updating it?

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #2257 of 4197 Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
tgm1024, Its good to have someone as knowledgeable about Sony products like you and I appreciate the time you give to the board. I was wondering if you have any thoughts concerning the new 65w850a that you could share with us "in between sets" prospective buyers. I want a set to bridge the gap until the 4k and oled technologies mature. Thanks.
post #2258 of 4197 Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post

tgm1024, Its good to have someone as knowledgeable about Sony products like you and I appreciate the time you give to the board. I was wondering if you have any thoughts concerning the new 65w850a that you could share with us "in between sets" prospective buyers. I want a set to bridge the gap until the 4k and oled technologies mature. Thanks.

Totally glad to help.  Though most days I feel like I'm wading through an undocumented swamp otherwise known as the Sony design spec.  Oye.  Hard to feel useful when they seem intent on mystifying me with their UI decisions and unknown low level meanings of their "sony-isms".  <---My term.  Don't get me wrong, this company does a lot right; it's just a matter of figuring out why they chose some things.  Until then it's hard for me to develop an intuition set.

I'm only just starting to dig into the W850A.  I find it an odd beast, because I'm not at all sure how they intend to position it relative to the W900A.  It's active-3D (like the W900A), and triluminous as well.  Same 2K.  Not entirely sure where they drew the line other than size choices.  When I do a side by side comparison on the sony site, the differences (other than size) seem minimal, except the W850A(65") has a XR480/native-God-Knows refresh rate---perhaps 120? or 240?, while the W900A(55") is an XR960/native-240.

I believe it's fair to think of it as a larger W900A for the most part.

Moving upward.....They're doing a similar model numbering thing on their 4K line.  Here the new XBR-X850A is being billed as pretty much the X900A without the speakers.  But that's far from the bottom line, starting with the fact that the X850A is active-3D and the X900A is passive, which by itself makes me wonder what else is likely to be different.

Frankly, the specifications game right now is a mess.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #2259 of 4197 Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I think you are correct about the 65w850 being essentially a w900 at its core; A 120HZ VA panel with w900 goodies. Wonder why Active rather than passive 3D? The nomenclature game gets complicated for global products. If your research turns up any gems to round out the info on the 65w850, keep us in the loop.!!
Thanks.
post #2260 of 4197 Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Great info in this thread, just got this 70" version t in to replace my failed Sharp 60". Liking it so far, but still need to play around with some of the settings and apps/SEN.

I do have a question about connectivity though...I have an older Xbox 360 that only has component and optical out, and a Denon AVR-1312 receiver that does't have component inputs, but does have optical in.

The way I have it setup is the optical from Xbox to Denon, with the component cables connected directly to the TV. This presents a problem though when using the apps for Netflix, HULU, etc via the new TV. The receiver doesn't recognize that the apps are active so they play through the TV speakers, while my surround system plays the audio from my cable TV Tivo. This model receiver does not seem to have ARC either, so kinda screwed on that one. I could get the apps to play via surround if I connect the optical out from the TV to the Denon, but then my Xbox will play sound through the TV.

Is there an elegant solution to this without upgrading my receiver, or hooking up one of the Toslink switchers? I plan to upgrade at some point, so maybe a switch will do for now, but if there are any other options than having yet another mess of cables back there I'd be open to them.

Thanks for any suggestions!
post #2261 of 4197 Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Liked: 17
With my semi-constant need to go in and play with "Settings", I've gotten quite used to hitting HOME, then the UP arrow to wrap to the bottom for SETTINGS, and then I'm in.

However, for the first time I was viewing something on a SEN app - a Crackle movie - and after most of the movie was about over, I had this itchy finger to fix a setting. I hit HOME and poof! No more movie. It was back to TV mode.

It's been my experience that if you bomb out of a Crackle movie, you're stick starting it all over again without the ability to skip forward. At least that's the way I understood it. I'm guessing now that I should have hit OPTIONS to get into a picture-adjusting mode.

Harry
post #2262 of 4197 Old 09-10-2013, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumX View Post

Great info in this thread, just got this 70" version t in to replace my failed Sharp 60". Liking it so far, but still need to play around with some of the settings and apps/SEN.

I do have a question about connectivity though...I have an older Xbox 360 that only has component and optical out, and a Denon AVR-1312 receiver that does't have component inputs, but does have optical in.

The way I have it setup is the optical from Xbox to Denon, with the component cables connected directly to the TV. This presents a problem though when using the apps for Netflix, HULU, etc via the new TV. The receiver doesn't recognize that the apps are active so they play through the TV speakers, while my surround system plays the audio from my cable TV Tivo. This model receiver does not seem to have ARC either, so kinda screwed on that one. I could get the apps to play via surround if I connect the optical out from the TV to the Denon, but then my Xbox will play sound through the TV.

Is there an elegant solution to this without upgrading my receiver, or hooking up one of the Toslink switchers? I plan to upgrade at some point, so maybe a switch will do for now, but if there are any other options than having yet another mess of cables back there I'd be open to them.

If your Denon doesn't have enough optical inputs for the Xbox, TIVO and TV, then you are stuck with analog stereo, upgrading your receiver or an external toslink switch

underachiever extraordinaire
post #2263 of 4197 Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone find a Qwerty Remote that works with Sony TVs?

Other than the obvious ios/android apps (for my phone, etc.), the only things I can find are a few years old.  The stuff from Sony seems to all be for their older google tv lineup (which I wasn't even aware existed).

post #2264 of 4197 Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumX View Post

Do you have an open coaxial digital "audio in" on your AV receiver? If so, this has been working for me for the last 3 years:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2
post #2265 of 4197 Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Hey all, I finally made the leap and my 60" is being delivered on Friday!! I've read about half of this thread and noticed there are a few common issues with this TV, would anyone be able to give me a quick list of the 2-3 issues I should look for while the Amazon guys are still here and how I could test for them? I'm confident I'll get a defect-free TV but would like to identify early and send back with the delivery guys if not. Thanks in advance for any help!!!
post #2266 of 4197 Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelsen View Post

Hey all, I finally made the leap and my 60" is being delivered on Friday!! I've read about half of this thread and noticed there are a few common issues with this TV, would anyone be able to give me a quick list of the 2-3 issues I should look for while the Amazon guys are still here and how I could test for them? I'm confident I'll get a defect-free TV but would like to identify early and send back with the delivery guys if not. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

It's going to be difficult to test a TV while they are here, but if you can put a full white screen on (probably via a USB key, because you won't have time to configure WiFi) you can probably test for the blobs.  I think it was mostly with the early releases of 60"ers.  Here's where I explain it with two pictures (in another thread).

I returned it and got one that looks great.

Samuelsen likes this.

post #2267 of 4197 Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

It's going to be difficult to test a TV while they are here, but if you can put a full white screen on (probably via a USB key, because you won't have time to configure WiFi) you can probably test for the blobs.  I think it was mostly with the early releases of 60"ers.  Here's where I explain it with two pictures (in another thread).

Thanks, yeah, maybe I'll load a couple of all white pictures on a thumb drive and try to stick it in quick. Like you said, hopefully they've eliminated the issue with the more current releases. Is there a code or something that would indicate when the TV was made that I could look at to make sure it's relatively new?
post #2268 of 4197 Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelsen View Post

Quote:

Thanks, yeah, maybe I'll load a couple of all white pictures on a thumb drive and try to stick it in quick. Like you said, hopefully they've eliminated the issue with the more current releases. Is there a code or something that would indicate when the TV was made that I could look at to make sure it's relatively new?

There was talk about that early on, but I'm not convinced of the serial numbers exactly, so testing is (as always) still your best bet.

By the way, you may discover the blobs most quickly the way you would discover Dirty Screen Effect: by a panning scene.  However, with the blobs (as you can tell from images), it's still readily apparent when things are bright and stationary.

post #2269 of 4197 Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM

And for what's it worth....

I see alot of folks interested in serial numbers and firmware numbers not just on this tv, but many other forums about electronics, all in the hopes to grab a unit that they believe has been fixed.

I can tell ya that a few years ago this was a MAJOR topic of discussion on the Mitsubishi HC3800 Projector forum. And it was in vain. I personally bought 2 of those projectors and had a total of 5 in my hands with all the exchanges and there was NO connection between any of the serial or firmware numbers and the problematic units.

Now I believe this was because the manufacturer does not necessarily release units in a sequential order as you would expect. And often they switch up the numbers making them NOT chronological. Handguns are notorious for this.

The firmware one was the big surprise. There were units with low firmware update numbers that actually worked better than the most current (supposedly) firmware numbers.

So while I do not claim to be any sort of authority on the issue, from what I have seen (and read), serial numbers and firmware numbers are not any kind of indication on an electronics "trouble" factor.

Good luck.
post #2270 of 4197 Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^I agree in general, but maybe there's a higher likelihood of a serial number to hardware release date matchup in the case of the very early units?

Most of us were "early adopters" here.  And perhaps the brand spanking uber new releases are more likely to be number related?  Dunno.

post #2271 of 4197 Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Keeping my eye out for a sale on the 60" 550A. I really like the looks of this TV and would much prefer to get it over the competitors - Samsung F6300, Panasonic E60, Vizio E601i-A3.

One thing I haven't had a lot of luck finding was a direct number on input lag. I know in general the Sonys are better at input lag but how's the 550a?
post #2272 of 4197 Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post

Keeping my eye out for a sale on the 60" 550A. I really like the looks of this TV and would much prefer to get it over the competitors - Samsung F6300, Panasonic E60, Vizio E601i-A3.

One thing I haven't had a lot of luck finding was a direct number on input lag. I know in general the Sonys are better at input lag but how's the 550a?

Look through displaylag.com periodically.  They do nothing but test TVs.  It's run by the AVS member FourWude.

post #2273 of 4197 Old 09-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Look through displaylag.com periodically.  They do nothing but test TVs.  It's run by the AVS member FourWude.

Good point. Completely forgot about that. Looking good at 31ms. smile.gif Now to find a sale.
post #2274 of 4197 Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post

Quote:

Good point. Completely forgot about that. Looking good at 31ms. smile.gif Now to find a sale.

By the way, it's almost certainly 4:4:4 capable.  But try to run a test pattern anyway to make sure.

post #2275 of 4197 Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

turn off LED Motion or local dimming. Forgot which setting it was but It tries to pick up the ambient lighting to adjust the screen brightness. so changing camera angles will wildly change the picture

Turns out the setting was "Light Sensor" under "Eco." You are right, it tries to determine how bright the screen should be in comparison to the ambient lighting. The screen brightness was changing every 15 seconds or so. Kind of annoying. I guess the ambient lighting in my room is messed up or the sensor is wacky?
post #2276 of 4197 Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneils View Post

Turns out the setting was "Light Sensor" under "Eco." You are right, it tries to determine how bright the screen should be in comparison to the ambient lighting. The screen brightness was changing every 15 seconds or so. Kind of annoying. I guess the ambient lighting in my room is messed up or the sensor is wacky?

That was one of the very first things I turned off when I saw the screen changing brightness all by itself. I can't imagine anyone liking that effect, but - different strokes.

Harry
post #2277 of 4197 Old 09-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Liked: 28
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneils View Post

I bet that this feature might be more efficient when the ambient light is bright. But at night time when the screen is producing most of the ambient light the it will annoyingly change because the screen is darker which makes the room darker which the. Tries to up the picture brightness
post #2278 of 4197 Old 09-14-2013, 01:50 PM

Long time lurker in this forum when I was in the market for a 70+ inch TV for my basement which was being finished. Ended up pulling the trigger on this one after reading many of the posts here and elsewhere. Ordered it from Amazon back in June and it was ready to be delivered the last week in June. However, delays in my basement project forced me to have the shipping company hold it in their warehouse for 3 weeks! Ended up getting the TV delivered in late July but didn't get it installed until literally last night. And man, it's only been a day and a half, but all of the waiting for this TV was absolutely worth it!

I'm no videophile, but my frame of reference are the two plasma TVs I own - a 50" Panasonic and a 42" Samsung. What I couldn't get over was just how spectacular the picture is on this TV out of the box! I only started to dabble with the settings today, but popping in my Avengers Bluray last night for a quick check proved to be the best moment of the night! This TV is BIG - I mean, it is one massive wall eater! I have this bad boy mounted on my wall! Won't be able to comment on Cable HDTV and sports until I'm installed on Monday, but I can confidently say that both DVDs, Blurays and video games look absolutely incredible on this TV. Also haven't tried the passive 3D yet either - will update this post on both points when I've done so.

And for those who are wondering, I don't have any of the known issues with LEDs on this set. No light bleed, no DSE and no clouding. I honestly could not believe that I was so lucky given all I've read though this forum! Can't thank those of you who posted your settings in the 1st post enough. I'm using a mix of a couple of settings right now - going to see if I like it, and if it sticks, I'll post them up to the shared spreadsheet.

**UPDATE 9/16/13**
Just watched a 3D Bluray (Star Trek Into the Darkness) and all I can say is WOW. I always thought 3D was a gimmick, but all my movies will be 3D affairs from now on! The picture was absolutely stunning. I don't think watching regular TV in 3D will be practical but for movies, it's a no brainer, this is an must-see experience! For those concerned with gaming, this set does not disappoint. Gaming was fine with no discernible lag - even for twitch-type games. Had the cable installed today and HD on channels like ESPN, HBO, etc. look fantastic on this TV. Still messing with settings to get the perfect mix, but so far, so good!
post #2279 of 4197 Old 09-14-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0lyfeism View Post

Long time lurker in this forum when I was in the market for a 70+ inch TV for my basement which was being finished. Ended up pulling the trigger on this one after reading many of the posts here and elsewhere. Ordered it from Amazon back in June and it was ready to be delivered the last week in June. However, delays in my basement project forced me to have the shipping company hold it in their warehouse for 3 weeks! Ended up getting the TV delivered in late July but didn't get it installed until literally last night. And man, it's only been a day and a half, but all of the waiting for this TV was absolutely worth it!

I'm no videophile, but my frame of reference are the two plasma TVs I own - a 50" Panasonic and a 42" Samsung. What I couldn't get over was just how spectacular the picture is on this TV out of the box! I only started to dabble with the settings today, but popping in my Avengers Bluray last night for a quick check proved to be the best moment of the night! This TV is BIG - I mean, it is one massive wall eater! I have this bad boy mounted on my wall! Won't be able to comment on Cable HDTV and sports until I'm installed on Monday, but I can confidently say that both DVDs, Blurays and video games look absolutely incredible on this TV. Also haven't tried the passive 3D yet either - will update this post on both points when I've done so.

And for those who are wondering, I don't have any of the known issues with LEDs on this set. No light bleed, no DSE and no clouding. I honestly could not believe that I was so lucky given all I've read though this forum! Can't thank those of you who posted your settings in the 1st post. I'm using a mix of a couple of settings right now - going to see if I like it, and if it sticks, I'll post them up to the shared spreadsheet.

Hey, that's GREAT to hear!!!!  Enjoy your set!

post #2280 of 4197 Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 AM

hey all, received this set to replace a 60nx720, so far this set is quite nice, loving the passive 3d instead of the active 3d, and simulview option for gaming is a nice add on too.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page