Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 4266 Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I just got this TV last week. I've had to wrestle with a couple things. I looked through the thread, and if these answers are here, I couldn't find them. Sorry if some of you have answered these several times.

First of all, has anyone messed around with the TV Sideview app? I got the app on my phone (a Galaxy S4), but I couldn't get it to connect to the TV. I've gotten my phone to connect to the Youtube App on my TV, so I know it's probably not my internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 4266 Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM

Has anyone posted their settings while watching 3D content? Having just had the TV for a few days, when I started watching a 3D movie, the mode and settings changed automatically. I assume that can be adjusted while in 3D mode.
post #2343 of 4266 Old 09-24-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 665

I've been wondering about this myself from the beginning, but never looked into it.   The centralized settings currently aren't designed to allow people to differentiate.

IF the 3D settings are distinct from the normal settings, put your name at the top of the column with (3D) after it.

My 3D settings would then be tgm1024(3D)

Does anyone know if 3D settings are distinct?  I almost certain they are on the LG's, I just don't know about Sony.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #2344 of 4266 Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cyclical reminder:

Please see the first post in this thread regarding a centralized spreadsheet of people's settings suggestions.

There is also a blank spreadsheet available for printing out so you can record your own experimentations.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #2345 of 4266 Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Hello all,

My friend is considering getting one of those (60 or 70" models), a couple of quick questions:

1- Does it have any major flaws? like common malfunctions? His previous Sony LED model had a very weird issue that during dark scenes if the picture is moving fast, there will be a blue blur around the edge of objects! Apparently ALL of the TVs in the same model lineup had the same problem.

2- How's the PQ? Black levels that bad? Is there too much backlight bleeding?

Any help would be appreciated.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #2346 of 4266 Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I've been wondering about this myself from the beginning, but never looked into it.   The centralized settings currently aren't designed to allow people to differentiate.

IF the 3D settings are distinct from the normal settings, put your name at the top of the column with (3D) after it.

My 3D settings would then be tgm1024(3D)

Does anyone know if 3D settings are distinct?  I almost certain they are on the LG's, I just don't know about Sony.
The 3D settings are distinct. Give me about an hour and I will post mine.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #2347 of 4266 Old 09-24-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Ok so it took less then an hour.....

Motionflow standard
CineMotion auto2
All the advanced stuff is shut off.

Settings were calibrated using S&M 2cd edition in a dark room wearing the 3D glasses as the disc instructs you to. I've only watched one 3D movie, the avengers, and it looked fabulous.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #2348 of 4266 Old 09-24-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

Hello all,

My friend is considering getting one of those (60 or 70" models), a couple of quick questions:

1- Does it have any major flaws? like common malfunctions? His previous Sony LED model had a very weird issue that during dark scenes if the picture is moving fast, there will be a blue blur around the edge of objects! Apparently ALL of the TVs in the same model lineup had the same problem.

2- How's the PQ? Black levels that bad? Is there too much backlight bleeding?

Any help would be appreciated.

The blue blur you speak of is commonly associated with Sharp panels. Most of the non-Elite Sharp panels I have seen all exhibit this issue. It is known as overdrive trailing and is seen more frequently in VA (vertical alignment) panels with lowers response times. Manufacturers will boost the response time of gray-gray with post processing, but the common result is usually is light colored halos around moving objects and more extreme cases severe smearing/streaking in the darker areas of a scene. I know the W802A uses LG panels, but I am not sure if the R550 series uses Sharp. The passive tech FPR filter can be applied to any screen type. so this may be the case with the R550. Amtran the main manufacturer of Vizio and JVC displays employ an FPR, but offer a glossy version called the GPR (Glass Panel Retarder).
post #2349 of 4266 Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM

Anyone's thoughts on the 60R520ACT? I wont be using the 3D or online apps much (more netflix console for that). Just wonderring if there is anything else i would lose out on? Especially in picture quality!
post #2350 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

The blue blur you speak of is commonly associated with Sharp panels. Most of the non-Elite Sharp panels I have seen all exhibit this issue. It is known as overdrive trailing and is seen more frequently in VA (vertical alignment) panels with lowers response times. Manufacturers will boost the response time of gray-gray with post processing, but the common result is usually is light colored halos around moving objects and more extreme cases severe smearing/streaking in the darker areas of a scene. I know the W802A uses LG panels, but I am not sure if the R550 series uses Sharp. The passive tech FPR filter can be applied to any screen type. so this may be the case with the R550. Amtran the main manufacturer of Vizio and JVC displays employ an FPR, but offer a glossy version called the GPR (Glass Panel Retarder).

There's components from various R550A's on eBay, and it definitely looks as though the 50" is using LG Display components/panels however the 60"/70" models are not. I don't find that to surprising as last years 60" EX645 used Sharp components/panels while the smaller sizes(including all EX640 models) used Samsung. Sharp is also the only mass manufacturer of 70" LCD panels that I'm aware of so it's probably not much of a gamble that this years 60"/70" R550A's are using Sharp. I'd also add that prior to Sony cutting ties with them towards the end of last year most Sony flat panel TV's used Samsung panels/components(which are also know to have blue blur), except in the case of high end Sony's which typically used Sharp panels/components. However since Sony has cut ties with Samsung where they get their LCD panels from has changed as evident in 50" R550A/W802A's using LG and the 4K X900A using AUO........anyways that my 2 cents smile.gif
post #2351 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolsony View Post

Hi all,

I just got this TV last week. I've had to wrestle with a couple things. I looked through the thread, and if these answers are here, I couldn't find them. Sorry if some of you have answered these several times.

First of all, has anyone messed around with the TV Sideview app? I got the app on my phone (a Galaxy S4), but I couldn't get it to connect to the TV. I've gotten my phone to connect to the Youtube App on my TV, so I know it's probably not my internet.

i believe those apps are not compatible with the kdl r550a models.
post #2352 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Carter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

There's components from various R550A's on eBay, and it definitely looks as though the 50" is using LG Display components/panels however the 60"/70" models are not. I don't find that to surprising as last years 60" EX645 used Sharp components/panels while the smaller sizes(including all EX640 models) used Samsung. Sharp is also the only mass manufacturer of 70" LCD panels that I'm aware of so it's probably not much of a gamble that this years 60"/70" R550A's are using Sharp. I'd also add that prior to Sony cutting ties with them towards the end of last year most Sony flat panel TV's used Samsung panels/components(which are also know to have blue blur), except in the case of high end Sony's which typically used Sharp panels/components. However since Sony has cut ties with Samsung where they get their LCD panels from has changed as evident in 50" R550A/W802A's using LG and the 4K X900A using AUO........anyways that my 2 cents smile.gif

I don't think I believe the business about using Samsung panels (in a predictable fashion).  Only because Samsung themselves cannot predictably use Samsung panels.  After spending forever in the C6300 threads trying to figure out where mine was made (in 2010) it became clear they they had among the worst panel lotteries in the industry.  Samsung can't produce nearly enough panels for Samsung.  Besides, isn't AUO now licensing the FPR technology (for 2013 models)?  They are manufacturers for everyone.  There's some argument I've heard at AVS that LG is that one manufacturer that doesn't buy elsewhere, but I have no idea how folks would know that.

post #2353 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM

I just purchased the 50R550A a couple of weeks ago from best buy. On first setting it up I noticed obvious flashlighting from all four corners of the screen and most prominently from the bottom two corners. It seems to me that the issue is very bad when I immediately turn the tv on and shows up badly on the opening screen and as my PS3 is starting. But after watching something for 10-15 minutes or so the problem seems to get slightly better. For example if I'm watching a movie with the black bars at top or bottom the flashlighting will show up pretty badly at first and then seem to get better. From what I understand of flashlighting issues this doesn't seem possible. Is it that my eyes and brain are just getting used to it, or could the flashlighting actually get better as the tv warms up or something? I've read through the thread and seen some issues when it came to screen uniformity and flashlighting, but nothing really answering my question. Complete newbie when it comes to this stuff and the other Sony LCD I own has had no such issues. Trying to decide whether to attempt to return it or not. Thanks
post #2354 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclean77 View Post

I just purchased the 50R550A a couple of weeks ago from best buy. On first setting it up I noticed obvious flashlighting from all four corners of the screen and most prominently from the bottom two corners. It seems to me that the issue is very bad when I immediately turn the tv on and shows up badly on the opening screen and as my PS3 is starting. But after watching something for 10-15 minutes or so the problem seems to get slightly better. For example if I'm watching a movie with the black bars at top or bottom the flashlighting will show up pretty badly at first and then seem to get better. From what I understand of flashlighting issues this doesn't seem possible. Is it that my eyes and brain are just getting used to it, or could the flashlighting actually get better as the tv warms up or something? I've read through the thread and seen some issues when it came to screen uniformity and flashlighting, but nothing really answering my question. Complete newbie when it comes to this stuff and the other Sony LCD I own has had no such issues. Trying to decide whether to attempt to return it or not. Thanks

If it gets better, it'll only be because the tolerances involved happened to accidentally move over time.  I haven't seen anything substantive that indicates these things ever get better.

Mine is barely there.  If it's that noticeable, I'd suggest returning it.  However, just before you do, you might consider attempting what others have and press gently on the front bezel.  You might hear/feel a clicking into place.  It's worked on different models and manufacturers sometimes.  (If you're returning it anyway)...

Note: I cannot suggest you do this, and I will not be held responsible for any damage to anyone's TV.  However, others have reported it working.  The 2012 LG 60LM7200, and the 2013 Sony 802A.

post #2355 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I had (have) it on my 70. What I did to make it "okay".
  • Gently massage the screen with a clean microfiber while its on to spread out the light.
  • Backed out the 8 screws just a bit in the back of the frame at all four corners.
  • Turned down the backlighting setting. See the 1st post for a link to people's settings.
  • Let a little light in the room so as not to view in a cave.

Read about it all over the web. More common than you'd think. If you can fix it enough to live with it, great. If you can find an LED LCD without it, especially big screens and big screens that don't cost $4K, Awesome! It has become a non-issue for me now.

Btw, to save you some time searching, flashlighting or white clouds on dark screens seems to come from imperfections when layering the screen materials on top of each other during manufacturing. The bigger the sheets and the less the cost of the tv, the more likely they didn't get it quite perfect - flashlighting.
(NOT to be confused with what TGM had on one of his with big oval spots on white screens.)
post #2356 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Mine is barely there.  Return it.  However, just before you do, attempt pressing gently on the front bezel.  You might hear/feel a clicking into place.  It's worked on different models and manufacturers.  (If you're returning it anyway)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

I had (have) it on my 70. What I did to make it "okay".
  • Gently massage the screen with a clean microfiber while its on to spread out the light.
  • Backed out the 8 screws just a bit in the back of the frame at all four corners.
  • Turned down the backlighting setting. See the 1st post for a link to people's settings.
  • Let a little light in the room so as not to view in a cave.

Read about it all over the web. More common than you'd think. If you can fix it enough to live with it, great. If you can find an LED LCD without it, especially big screens and big screens that don't cost $4K, Awesome! It has become a non-issue for me now.

Btw, to save you some time searching, flashlighting or white clouds on dark screens seems to come from imperfections when layering the screen materials on top of each other during manufacturing. The bigger the sheets and the less the cost of the tv, the more likely they didn't get it quite perfect - flashlighting.
(NOT to be confused with what TGM had on one of his with big oval spots on white screens.)

Thanks for the quick response and advice as well as all the work you've done throughout this thread. I'll try those suggestions and see what results I get. I've experimented with a few of the settings from the first post and other than the flashlighting, am loving this tv.
post #2357 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM

^ You're welcomed. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to beat TGM to answer a question as he's almost always first....darn it! lol.

I debated for some time about returning mine. I'm very picky and didn't know if I could live with the flashlighting. Then, after I did all those things I did just one more. I forgot about it. Seriously, I did.

It wasn't until I was watching a crappy computer download on the tv where the image was really dark and just plain typical youtube bad. Then I noticed all the flashlighting again because I had to turn the tv to "torch" to see in the shadows. But of course viewing movies from the computer is not typical.

Anyhow, point is I guess I got it "fixed" for most my viewing. It took a couple months tho and that was mostly me unable to stop thinking about it. Now quick, don't think about it. lol

Good luck.
post #2358 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ You're welcomed. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to beat TGM to answer a question as he's almost always first....darn it! lol.

LOL.  I feel a particular responsibility to this thread as OP and R550 owner, so I hover a little tightly.

Quote:

Well for the record, I discovered a flaw last night.

Stupidly I decided to run the display evaluation suite of tests on the Disney WOW disk.  Not a great idea.

I discovered a stuck sub-pixel that is only evident when on a solid red screen (it goes black).  Not on white though, the pixel doesn't suddenly look cyan, which is what a vanishing red would cause.  And it's not even a fully black pixel exactly on a red screen: it almost looks like I have one pixel part way moved over (LOL) but only when on full red.  Nuts, I know.

It's only about 3 inches from the bottom, and I've never seen it without that test.  So I'm crossing my fingers my OCD doesn't pound on me.  :)

Well, it's somehow magically gone.  Woo hoo!  It didn't even look precisely stuck---I understand these devices well and I have no freaking clue what that was.  And before someone chimes in, no, it wasn't a smudge.  LOL....

post #2359 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:

LOL.  I feel a particular responsibility to this thread as OP and R550 owner, so I hover a little tightly.

Well, it's somehow magically gone.  Woo hoo!  It didn't even look precisely stuck---I understand these devices well and I have no freaking clue what that was.  And before someone chimes in, no, it wasn't a smudge.  LOL....

A gnat? Just kidding. Hey if it were still there, is that something you can expect the Disney Wow disc's pixel flipper to fix?

I ran it one night just to mess with the wife. Was funny for about a minute. LOL
post #2360 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

A gnat? Just kidding. Hey if it were still there, is that something you can expect the Disney Wow disc's pixel flipper to fix?

I ran it one night just to mess with the wife. Was funny for about a minute. LOL

What did you do, just sit there intently watching with 3D glasses on for 20 minutes?  If you do that and she comes into the room, say "shhhhhh, this is the best part", and pretend to rewind it with the remote.

I ran the pixel flipper for approximately 20 seconds and then decided I was going to commit it to running overnight.  Never did.  The thing was there last I saw.  Today I decided to double check and it was gone.  No, it didn't fly or crawl off anywhere.  LOL....

post #2361 of 4266 Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:

What did you do, just sit there intently watching with 3D glasses on for 20 minutes?  If you do that and she comes into the room, say "shhhhhh, this is the best part", and pretend to rewind it with the remote.....

I love it! Will report how it goes. May be from a hotel room, but will report. LOL
post #2362 of 4266 Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Hi gang.  I had to sign up just to contribute, so that hopefully others will be better informed by learning of other people's experiences.

I bought a Sony rear projection TV in late 2008 for $1350, optical block problem caused blue spots/ Dirty Screen Effect.  Sony offered me a KDL-50R550A for $550 which I accepted.  When I received my TV last week, I was disappointed to discover white spots that can be seen against any light, even toned background, another Dirty Screen Effect.  I like the picture, but the DSE is quite horrid.

My TV also has the flashlighitng issue, and what concerns me is that it is inconsistent, worse on one side than another.  Making sure contrast and black levels are high and reducing brightness settings, controlling room luminance, does reduce the effect, except for one spot where it is excessive, and always shows a large, light grey semi circle when viewing at night.

I asked Sony tech support as well as the exchange customer service, if the DSE was a known problem.  They denied it was, yet they didn't ask for any detailed information, proof or anything else.  They told me go ahead and ship either your old projection TV, or the new LED, and we'll ship you another once we see it is enroute.

I'll update how it turns out, but sufficed to say I'm disgusted with Sony's lack of quality assurance.  Spending $1900 in the last 5 years for two TVs with spots on them seems absurd to me.

Bottom line, these TV are disposable, and it's more cost effective for Sony to inconvenience the minority of people that even notice these subtle visual flaws with multiple shipping exchanges than to invest in quality inspections.

If my next TV isn't flawed, I will be content.  Otherwise, I may just commit hara-kiri.

post #2363 of 4266 Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^DSE, or the "blobs"?

post #2364 of 4266 Old 09-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Aren't the blobs and DSE really the same flaw of varying severity?  I don't have huge ones like I've seen posted here, but there are very distinguishable white streaks and spots that stand out even when the image is still,  only against light even tones, though they're easier to see when panning.  There are other more subtle spots and streaks that only show up as DSE when the image pans.

One spot in particular is worse than the others, a circle the size of a nickel, with two wide bands underneath that form a V.  Because it is symmetrical, my eyes are immediately drawn to it.

Love the TV, but the DSE is driving me nuts.

Does anyone know if this issue is a common LED issue among manufacturers or is it exclusive to Sony?

post #2365 of 4266 Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The nature/cause of the blobs is currently unknown.

The speculation is varied.  In all DSE I've ever seen before, it appears as a regional reduction in lighting, and it does infact resembling a dirty portion of the screen.

The blobs (as we've unaffectionately been referring to them) are radical ramps up in light in particular regions.  You could make the case that this is the effect of some kind of full-screen DSE in which the blobs are the regions where it doesn't occur, but that doesn't ring true to me because the transition between the light and dark regions are oddly....distinct?  Different?

It just isn't the same animal.

If I were to guess (wildly stabbing in the dark), I'd guess that it's a problem with the rigidity of the light guides to LCD array distance, and with some panel manufacturers (Sony makes no panels), the shipping all by itself can cause this to collapse.

Guess, guess, guess, guess, guess.  However, the effect won't go away with rubbing.  It won't go away with anything I can imagine.  I had it on my first set and returned it for one that is completely blob-free.  And you need to return yours as well.

By the way, can you tell me the initial digit of your serial number?  Don't put the entire number here, you don't want anyone at Sony looking up a conversation and identifying your TV online.

post #2366 of 4266 Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 AM

tgm1024 -

My serial number starts with a 6.  Shipping as a cause was my worry as well.   Good to hear you finally got a flawless TV.    My empty box arrived today, I'll set up a pickup for my rear projection TV for Monday, which is still worse than this flawed LED.

Fingers crossed.

post #2367 of 4266 Old 09-27-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My blob TV started with a 4.  My non-blob TV started with a 6.  {shrug}

Can you post a picture of the problem?  It's always worthwhile to have others here see the problems others have (visually).

post #2368 of 4266 Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM

For all the gamers out there, what setting do you find work best? Particularly MotionFlow and CineMotion...

Most games, especially Grand Theft Auto V, I find both set to OFF work best, even though its not very smooth... When I put MotionFlow to "Standard" and CineMotion "Auto 2", its much smoother, but the framerate stutters and hiccups every few seconds and is very annoying...
post #2369 of 4266 Old 09-28-2013, 04:57 PM

No thoughts on the 60R520ACT model at all???
post #2370 of 4266 Old 09-28-2013, 05:36 PM

For $130 more on amazon get the 550 it's worth it for the 3D!!!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page