Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 4204 Old 10-12-2013, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Regarding the LLE issues that some have reported, I cant say I have witnessed a problem with my 70 incher. If someone with the issue is willing, apply the settings I posted in the google doc attached to the first post of this thread and see if you still have a LLE issue. Also could you post a pic of the issue you see, preferable with my settings and your settings. I am wondering that maybe I dont get bothered by this issue or if my set is not displaying this issue.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 4204 Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I got rid of LLE on my 70" by switching to Neutral and then backing down the color until the LLE was gone. At 35 I still see a bit of red in the upper face area of a slightly lighter complexioned individual. By backing the color down to 31-32 that problem also goes away. At this number the colors may not seem as saturated but I think they are actually pretty life like. Back light at 7 and brightness at 50.
post #2523 of 4204 Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my 2nd replacement 50r550a, and it has even worse DSE than the last one. This time, I was sent to a higher level customer service in Sony, and was required to email pictures of the problem. I explained this was difficult, the DSE is rather subtle unless an image is panning behind it, which obviously cannot be captured in a single static image.

Sony called me and explained that the technicians studied my pictures and concluded this was a natural effect for the television - they suggested it wasn't a defect. I don't understand this at all. Before I had even plugged in any devices, from the green screen that indicates there is no input, I can see the white/dark splotches that cause the DSE. Both LEDs even have the largest, most severe spots in the same exact spot, in the center right.

I chewed out customer relations, trying to better explain the issue. I await another call from them in a few days for another update, which I'll share here.

I don't understand how people cannot see DSE, it drives me nuts. Sony's about to lose a lifelong loyal brand consumer if they don't make this right.

post #2524 of 4204 Old 10-12-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I just read an article by Geoffrey Morrison regarding screen uniformity issues with LCD TV's. Geoffrey Morrison has been the Editor and Chief of Home Entertainment Magazine, Technical Editor for Home Theater Magazine, and technical consultant for Sound & Vision Magazine, and HDGuru. In other words he's been around and probably knows his stuff. The article goes into serious detail about how LCD works and how it's backlit and what the problem is with edge lit TV's when it comes to screen uniformity issues. He points out a couple of real world causes. The 1st is the thinness of the screen itself. This equals physical problems in uniform lighting. Second includes real world concerns for the manufacture including Cost, Light Output, Contrast Ratio, Color, and Video Processing. Screen uniformity falls at the rear of these concerns mainly because most people aren't all that concerned compared to the other manufacturing issues mentioned. Mr. Morrison boils it down to, A TV is designed to a price, which requires some concessions in performance. He offers what he calls some sage advice. If you can't live with these inherent LCD problems you should probably get a plasma. He wasn't saying this in a smart ass way but really an only option till OLED fits your pocket book.
post #2525 of 4204 Old 10-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Manufacturers are producing these tvs that have no quality standard! It appears that they are just hoping that the consumer does not see just how bad their product is flawed. If in the event the consumer does complain they are quick to give them another set in hopes that again the flaw will be different and go unnoticed. Giant blobs, vertical bands, DSE, dead pixels, and bright spots may be reffered to as screen uniformity however that is nothing more than a candy coating for poor quality controle!
post #2526 of 4204 Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Nesmith View Post

I received my 2nd replacement 50r550a, and it has even worse DSE than the last one. This time, I was sent to a higher level customer service in Sony, and was required to email pictures of the problem. I explained this was difficult, the DSE is rather subtle unless an image is panning behind it, which obviously cannot be captured in a single static image.

Sony called me and explained that the technicians studied my pictures and concluded this was a natural effect for the television - they suggested it wasn't a defect. I don't understand this at all. Before I had even plugged in any devices, from the green screen that indicates there is no input, I can see the white/dark splotches that cause the DSE. Both LEDs even have the largest, most severe spots in the same exact spot, in the center right.

I chewed out customer relations, trying to better explain the issue. I await another call from them in a few days for another update, which I'll share here.

I don't understand how people cannot see DSE, it drives me nuts. Sony's about to lose a lifelong loyal brand consumer if they don't make this right.

The 50" model is probably always going to have some amount of DSE as it's using an LG IPS panel unlike the 60"/70".....the main downsides to IPS panels generally are: black level/Contrast, DSE, and response time compared to their VA panel counterparts.
post #2527 of 4204 Old 10-12-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Carter View Post

The 50" model is probably always going to have some amount of DSE as it's using an LG IPS panel unlike the 60"/70".....the main downsides to IPS panels generally are: black level/Contrast, DSE, and response time compared to their VA panel counterparts.

Do you have a link as to the manufacturer and panel type of the 50" being LG IPS?  I want to read up on it.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #2528 of 4204 Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Do you have a link as to the manufacturer and panel type of the 50" being LG IPS?  I want to read up on it.

Various parts from the all 3 sizes are and have been for sale on eBay with a majority of the parts from the 50" all say LG display Co., while not a single 60"/70" part does. As far as I know as of last year LG has stopped making any other form of LCD panels besides IPS, especially between 32"-55". I would also point out that the specs for the 50" state a 178 degree viewing angle while the 60"/70" state 176 degrees, only IPS based screens ever have a listed viewing angle of 178.....even though both are rather bs specs much like contrast ratio! That's as much info I can really give you, as Sony's notoriously tight lipped about such things....so you really just have to do tons and tons of web searching to find what info you can.
post #2529 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 AM

So what's in a name?

Specifications for the R550A on Sony USA site says Motionflow XR240 whilst on the Australian site its Motionflow XR200...whats with that?

I want to try the Sony USA software update however the TV wont recognise it ...damn

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
post #2530 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Various parts from the all 3 sizes are and have been for sale on eBay with a majority of the parts from the 50" all say LG display Co., while not a single 60"/70" part does. As far as I know as of last year LG has stopped making any other form of LCD panels besides IPS, especially between 32"-55". I would also point out that the specs for the 50" state a 178 degree viewing angle while the 60"/70" state 176 degrees, only IPS based screens ever have a listed viewing angle of 178.....even though both are rather bs specs much like contrast ratio! That's as much info I can really give you, as Sony's notoriously tight lipped about such things....so you really just have to do tons and tons of web searching to find what info you can.

Ok.  But that's not conclusive enough to state things authoritatively.  Ebay availability of parts?  And "as far as I know as of last year".

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #2531 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 AM

So I ended up exchanging my 70" for a 60", my original plan was to sell my Sharp and replace it with the Sony (both being 70") but since the highest craigslist offer has been 1000 on my 70LE847u, I decided to just keep it and get a 60" for the bedroom. Now I truly feel like I have the best of both worlds. If a movie has heavy crosstalk on my active set I have this set in my bedroom to watch it on passive. I have to see this, if the 70" I first received came in like this 60" did, I would have kept it. There is clouding but it is minimal and I have to focus on it. Its not anything I see when viewing something with letterbox, I certainly dont see it on full screen movies, and I'd argue whether or not its visible during the "menu screen" on ps3 (when you hold the ps button to turn off controller or system). I think Adolink said it best. The things we see are things that a normal consumer would never ever even see. Go to best buy one day and just hang out by the tvs for like 30 minutes and watch what people do when they shop for tvs. I get looked at so strangely when I ask for the remote so I can take it out of vivid. I think its exactly what Adolink said, if it has a blem and its a 95% chance its going to end up in the hands of someone who doesnt notice it, let it ride. In the off chance it lands in one of our hands, then send them another, repeat until satisfied. Its somewhat inconvenient to play the tv roulette game but its nothing new to me. When I was buying LG's I went through 6 55LM7600, now granted 2 of them I turned down because one had box damage and the other was damaged when they took it out of the box. I also went through an LM8600 all for the same issue of backlight bleed. Its going to essentially come down to what you can live with. I have had some degree of clouding on every LED, even earlier in this thread I said my Sharp had none but looking back at it, it does but Ive never noticed it because it doesnt appear during normal viewing. Im sorry I went on for so long but I guess the point I am making is to reiterate but Adolink said, you have to decide what is the lesser of all evils and what YOU find acceptable vs unacceptable. If you are unhappy with it bring it back to the store for an exchange or if you keep getting issues then maybe it is time to look at plasmas, I was ready to if this didnt work out.

Also I still need help with the "graphics" being greyed out of scene select to my pc connected via HDMI
post #2532 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadnode48 View Post

So what's in a name?

Specifications for the R550A on Sony USA site says Motionflow XR240 whilst on the Australian site its Motionflow XR200...whats with that?

I want to try the Sony USA software update however the TV wont recognise it ...damn

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

The US/Canada operate on the NTSC system which is based on a 60hz signal (60hz x4=240hz), while Europe and you Aussie's run on the PAL system which is 50hz signal (50hz x4=200hz).....hope that helps smile.gif
post #2533 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Hey guys, just a couple of quick questions to see if someone can answer them for me or explain them... got me new tv and love it so far but coming from plasma, noticed a few differences.

1. Wondering if someone can post their most recent calibrated picture settings??

2. When playing PS3 or xbox 360, switching to game mode, notice a bit of blurriness when things are moving fast. Is this normal?? like playing nhl 13, when moving down the ice things are blurry...

3. Motion flow... is the tv automatically set to display in 120hz? or do i need to put motionflow on standard or high?? and if so, when i switch to game mode, it shuts off motionflow, so would that make it revert back to 60hz for games?

thank you so much in advance!!!!
post #2534 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Ok.  But that's not conclusive enough to state things authoritatively.  Ebay availability of parts?  And "as far as I know as of last year".

Well that's the best info I could give, unless someone on the forum here with the 50" would like to volunteer to take theirs apart LOL. Like I said Sony's VERY tight lipped about such things, so you have to be your own investigator and put the clues together so to speak. smile.gif
post #2535 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post

....a 95% chance its going to end up in the hands of someone who doesnt notice it...Its going to essentially come down to what you can live with. I have had some degree of clouding on every LED...you have to decide what is the lesser of all evils and what YOU find acceptable vs unacceptable....

^ Exactly ^

I say it all the time, "Microsoft has conditioned people to accept these things that do not do what they are supposed to and now it has become the norm with most everything. If our cars ran as bad as our computers we'd all be walking".

Sure I'm picking on Windows here but you get the point. Quality is job done. Just get it to market and start working on the next newest thing...that won't work right either.

And it IS what the public wants - the latest thing. How many iPhones have there been? The masses simply don't demand perfection. When I do, can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Oh, you're one of those". As if though getting it right is not normal......because it isn't.

And let's be honest, how many of you actually strive for perfection in what you do? And please don't answer it. I'm not picking on anyone. I'm just making a point. It's what we (people) do...or don't do, rather. wink.gif Isn't it a BIG happy surprise when something actually works the way you were told it would? Yep, because that so seldom happens. rolleyes.gif

(again, please don't take it personally)
post #2536 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 11:03 AM

I think the biggest problem plaguing leds is the overwhelming demand by consumers that thinner is better. People will sacrifice what looks good on their tv for how good the tv looks on their wall. All my friends have said "man I dont know what all this HZ and motionflow means, i just buy whichever one looks the coolest". I like your analogies but I kind of like to compare it to Spider-Man 3. Everyone cried and moaned about putting these villains in that Raimi never wanted in, the studio caved in and gave the audience what it wanted and then we cried because it sucked. We demanded thinner, we got thinner (well not me, I dont care how thin my set is but again we represent a small percentage of consumers). Now we are mad that the quality decreased. Its like I told my boss one day, I can you give you quality or quantity but I cant give you both.
post #2537 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 11:06 AM

Liked: 32
With your guys experience, should I stick with Sony to upgrade my old KDF 50E2000 with model for Xbox 360 and PS4 gaming or should I go with a Sammy model that caught my eye at coscto?

0pKv8RM.jpg
post #2538 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post

With your guys experience, should I stick with Sony to upgrade my old KDF 50E2000 with model for Xbox 360 and PS4 gaming or should I go with a Sammy model that caught my eye at coscto?

Well I've personally never had good luck with Samsung or Philips products, I think they're both jinxed or something for me LOL.... but Costco has one of the(if not the best)return policy you can find so if you like the Samsung better and you think it'll fit your needs better then go for it......although remember that how it looked in Costco(un-calibrated and in very bright lighting) is not how it'll look in your home, so I wouldn't base it off that alone. smile.gif

Here's the Cnet review for the non-Costco version: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55f6300/4505-6482_7-35647894.html
post #2539 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post

For whats its worth, I have only dealt with Sony, Sharp, and LG. Every time that I have had a repair guy out I would ask what is the worst company they had to deal with and they always have said Samsung. They said Samsung customer service is a pain to get anything approved and they have had to wait months to get approvals to do repairs. Since you mentioned that you will be using it a lot for gaming I would compare the two on http://www.displaylag.com/ and I would probably just go with whichever had the lower number.
post #2540 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well that's the best info I could give, unless someone on the forum here with the 50" would like to volunteer to take theirs apart LOL. Like I said Sony's VERY tight lipped about such things, so you have to be your own investigator and put the clues together so to speak. smile.gif

It's not about me finding the information or being my own investigator.  But I always like to verify sources when statements are made with strong authority about subjects that are nearly impossible to dig up, such as yours:

Quote:

The 50" model is probably always going to have some amount of DSE as it's using an LG IPS panel unlike the 60"/70"

I've tried very hard to get display information from Sony, and I'm trying to use displaysearch.com, but it's not easy without subscribing, and I don't like blog 4th hand information (for obvious reasons).  The notion of Sony being tightlipped has been a vocalized irritation of mine since I created this thread.

Statements of the form "This panel is made by {X}", is a particular red flag because the misinformation is flying around like crazy.  I encourage people to adopt a more conservative tone regarding what the known facts are to be, because it's getting out of control.  The one you happened to put forward is a sore spot because of known difficulties and trying to fault isolate issues to hardware or software.  For instance, a well known industry guy here pointed out that all 70" displays are manufactured by Sharp.  I can't seem to verify that anywhere, but until I do, I'll try to not use it to figure out why 70"ers are a particular way or not.

Frankly, it's not enormous hyperbole to say that the list of LG and Sony specification questions I have (across their TV models) goes off the page.

And it's easy for anyone to mess this up too.  There's a lot of dated information out there.

post #2541 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:

The US/Canada operate on the NTSC system which is based on a 60hz signal (60hz x4=240hz), while Europe and you Aussie's run on the PAL system which is 50hz signal (50hz x4=200hz).....hope that helps smile.gif

Aaah right thanks! I hadn't even considered that to be a factor, amazing to think in this digital era that PAL and NTSC are still relevant. 

Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean I should be using 50hz refresh rate from my PC instead of 60hz to get the best results from Motionflow XR200?

I wonder if the software alone is responsible for the difference between the US and AUS models or if there's an actual difference in hardware too...

post #2542 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:

It's not about me finding the information or being my own investigator.  But I always like to verify sources when statements are made with strong authority about subjects that are nearly impossible to dig up, such as yours:
Quote:

I've tried very hard to get display information from Sony, and I'm trying to use displaysearch.com, but it's not easy without subscribing, and I don't like blog 4th hand information (for obvious reasons).  The notion of Sony being tightlipped has been a vocalized irritation of mine since I created this thread.

Statements of the form "This panel is made by {X}", is a particular red flag because the misinformation is flying around like crazy.  I encourage people to adopt a more conservative tone regarding what the known facts are to be, because it's getting out of control.  The one you happened to put forward is a sore spot because of known difficulties and trying to fault isolate issues to hardware or software.  For instance, a well known industry guy here pointed out that all 70" displays are manufactured by Sharp.  I can't seem to verify that anywhere, but until I do, I'll try to not use it to figure out why 70"ers are a particular way or not.

Frankly, it's not enormous hyperbole to say that the list of LG and Sony specification questions I have (across their TV models) goes off the page.

And it's easy for anyone to mess this up too.  There's a lot of dated information out there.

Sorry if you took my replies to be in a "I know best" sorta way, that wasn't my intention at all. My comment about eBay for example does hold water though, as there's parts for hundreds if not thousands of different TV models and is a great way to know what's in this or that TV. Given how tight lipped Sony and other Electronic companies are about their suppliers it's probably the only way of really knowing who makes what for a given set, without forum members taking their own sets apart. The more one knows about LCD/plasma tech, general TV tech, what companies make what, in what screen sizes, what technologies various companies are employing etc... the more you can put together those "clues" I mentioned and come up with a rather accurate conclusion of what's what. Don't get me wrong it would fantastic to be able to just ask Sony, Samsung, LG etc.. and get a 100% strait answer or to have some sort of a continuously updated website and/or fact sheet to go off of that we all knew was 100% accurate but that unfortunately is not possible.... so like I said one has to be their own investigator and put 2 and 2 together. Again I mean no disrespect or "I know better than you" sorta attitude...just putting my 2 cents out there! smile.gif
post #2543 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey guys, i just bought this tv, so far i have had a bunch of problems. Yes, i have clouding blotches and swirls and flashlighting in the corners. I sit about 11 feet away and at about 1.5ft off center i notice the far side of the screen is much lighter than the left. I am using the presets of the first guy on the google docs. Adjusting the whiteness of the tv has been difficult. Everything white seems too blown out.

Now im having sync issues. Dialog does not match up with their lips. I have a htpc and a ps3 connected to my pioneer vsx-1018 , a 4 year old receiver. All hdmi in and hdmi out to the tv, same as with my old 40" sony lcd (kdl40v2500) this new sony 60" replaced. It was fine before with the old tv.

So i went directly from the ps3 to the tv and the sync (tv speakers) was perfect. Then went from the htpc to the tv and that was perfect. So i have narrowed it down to the receiver being the problem. Or is it? Anything else i should consider? Is my receiver just too old? Anyone ever hear of this before? I can adjust the audio delay on the receiver, but this just seems wrong, and i doubt the sound is off equally from all sources. Is there anything i can try on the tv end?

Thanks
post #2544 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadnode48 View Post

Aaah right thanks! I hadn't even considered that to be a factor, amazing to think in this digital era that PAL and NTSC are still relevant. 

Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean I should be using 50hz refresh rate from my PC instead of 60hz to get the best results from Motionflow XR200?

I wonder if the software alone is responsible for the difference between the US and AUS models or if there's an actual difference in hardware too...

I would say yes you should use 50hz for your PC and at the very least it doesn't hurt to try. Most HDTV's generally can operate on either 50hz/60hz but are optimized both hardware and software wise per region of sale.
post #2545 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I find the sync a little off too, when using TV's optical out. You can hear the delay, if you leave the TV speakers on while receiver is also on. They don't match.
post #2546 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
By the way. Got my 70" swapped and sadly it's even worse than the other. Build date is September and has latest FW already.

Clouding, flashlighting and DSE is even more visible. I have tweaked all my settings, etc. to no avail.

Gone is the issue with light blue shirts, etc. appearing as light purple. But, where too in darker scenes, I had purplish ringing around moving things and in shadows, I now have it in blue and much more pronounce! Another member put this up in a photo earlier. It is so bad, I'm getting a head ache watching episode 1 season 3 of Walking Dead.

For some reason too. This one seems to have a more difficult time processing compressed video (DirecTV HD) Kinda like vertical sync issues where the screen tears a little and scan lines bulge when something moves fast, panning, etc.

Also, even though this one had all the protective tape and all like new. I had to clean some areas of the screen that looked scratched, scuffed, etc. The bezel too. Didn't have that at all on the first one.

Anyway, will most likely return it and go back to the 46 Samsung I inherited. Not going to hassle getting the big 300lb Sony 65WV700 back in here.
post #2547 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Hey guys, i just bought this tv, so far i have had a bunch of problems. Yes, i have clouding blotches and swirls and flashlighting in the corners. I sit about 11 feet away and at about 1.5ft off center i notice the far side of the screen is much lighter than the left. I am using the presets of the first guy on the google docs. Adjusting the whiteness of the tv has been difficult. Everything white seems too blown out.

Now im having sync issues. Dialog does not match up with their lips. I have a htpc and a ps3 connected to my pioneer vsx-1018 , a 4 year old receiver. All hdmi in and hdmi out to the tv, same as with my old 40" sony lcd (kdl40v2500) this new sony 60" replaced. It was fine before with the old tv.

So i went directly from the ps3 to the tv and the sync (tv speakers) was perfect. Then went from the htpc to the tv and that was perfect. So i have narrowed it down to the receiver being the problem. Or is it? Anything else i should consider? Is my receiver just too old? Anyone ever hear of this before? I can adjust the audio delay on the receiver, but this just seems wrong, and i doubt the sound is off equally from all sources. Is there anything i can try on the tv end?

Thanks

Verify something.  If your receiver's speakers are producing the sound (<---note), Are you connecting like this?

#1: Source ---(HDMI)---> Receiver ---(HDMI)---> TV

(where the receiver is stripping out the sound and playing it immediately on receipt from the source)

#2: Source ---(audio in any format)---> Receiver

while simultaneously Source---(HDMI)---> TV

(where the receiver is getting the audio directly and the TV is getting the video directly)

or this:

#3: Source ---(HDMI)---> Receiver ---(HDMI)---> TV ---(HDMI/ARC or Analog L/R audio or digital/optical)---> Receiver

If it's #1 or #2, then lip sync issues are very common as the sound is coming out immediately and the TV is forced to trail behind because of video processing.  If it's #3, then it's unusual because the TV itself is dictating that the sound comes out delayed to the end of processing.

Of the 3 possible audio outs from the TV (ARC, analog L/R, optical), stormcrow is the first I've heard of this problem (with optical).  I wonder if there's an S/PDIF buffering/processing going on here?

By the way....FWIW, keep an eye on the content source.  In my case when I test the TV via it's own speakers driven by a BDP running a sound test (in this case, from Disney WOW), the sync is dead on.  However, FIOS has periodically been throwing content at my TV that is horribly out of sync.  Not always.

And it is unaffected by driving my receiver via analog L/R out from the TV.  I will be experimenting with optical soon.

post #2548 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 PM

any help would be appreciated.....
post #2549 of 4204 Old 10-13-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again I mean no disrespect or "I know better than you" sorta attitude...just putting my 2 cents out there! smile.gif

No worries on that---I didn't see any disrespect or an attitude at all from you.  I'm just explaining my approach to this.

post #2550 of 4204 Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:

I would say yes you should use 50hz for your PC and at the very least it doesn't hurt to try. Most HDTV's generally can operate on either 50hz/60hz but are optimized both hardware and software wise per region of sale.

Well I'm set to 50hz now and there seems to be a definite improvement when watching TV on Windows 8 Media Center, it was quite choppy last time I used it. Will test some other media tonight....

I'm beginning to think that if Sony produce the R550 for Australia with different internal hardware, then there's a high chance that effects specifications and performance too. As I've previously mentioned(some people probably tired of hearing it, sorry ) my issue is with input lag and gaming. My experience could be unique to other users here due to the region my unit is setup for, hence why others seem to be less affected by it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the feedback, it's been a very informative experience ;-)

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page