Which set would you get?- Major confusion after days of reading. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 72 Old 03-03-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Kinda loaded question i know. I have been reading up on all these units the last few days now and im just looking for opinions. First, I currently have a WD 73 from Mits 3D active using IR. I have been having some trouble with it and I know mits is done with them so I have been looking into other units. The 3 I have been looking at are

LG-65LM6200 65"
Vizeo E701I-A3 70"
Sharp-LC7OLE745U 70"

Couple initial points on my end. The LG looks awesome, yet I never downgraded size before. Would you think going form now 73" to a 65" would be like "Holy Crap".. That's one main concern on that end. Next, Active VS Passive. I have seen both, active we have now, works great, but them glasses are a pain. Would going down in size PLUS going to passive be another "Holy Crap".

The Vizeo, that keeps me closer to my current, yet is that extra real estate not up to par with the LG or does it exceed it.

And the Sharp, Active and close also to current. Is it a better choice than the rest. Quality, looks, reliability, features all key. The economy is to crappy to shell out and be unhappy. All the stores around here have the units, best buy, fryes etc, yet not all side by side, so getting that comparison makes it tough. So any thoughts you guys have, or suggestions.... i would so appreciate. i would love to go 80" or more, yet those are way to much money. I thought about the WD92 inch, which I was thinking about months ago, yet now with RPTV dead and time to move on to a much better screen is upon us. Perhaps there are better ones also in those sizes also i may have missed.

Thank you for your time and i look forward to your thoughts to help me get mine back on track. This stuff gets confusing.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

No suggestions or help for a fellow Human being?
post #3 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 37
Well, it so happens that I have an LG 65LW6500 (2011 model) very similar to the LG you're considering. So I'll assume my observations on my TV will apply. And I've spent over a month researching the other two, with the addition of the Sharp 70" 640u model (no 3D).

First the LG:

Pros:

1) LGs have a deserved reputation for good colors out of the box.
2) Passive 3D. No crosstalk or ghosting. No eye fatigue and good bright picture. Cheap comfortable glasses.
3) The onboard media player is the exception to the rule that onboard TV media players generally are poor. Mine will play H264 encoded MKVs (made from my Blu-Rays) with chapters if present or approx 5 minute jumps depending on length of the movie, that can be activated with one menu button push. Or use the magic remote to select a spot on the time line.

I use 2 TB NTFS formatted external powered hard drives with the media player. The hard drive must use MBR (master boot record) partitioning scheme, rather than the GPT scheme needed for hard drives over 2 TB. A GPT volume will not be recognized. Likewise, using the Seagate workaround to make two MBR partitions on a 3 TB drive will not work either, or rather the second partition will not be recognized.

4) Viewing angles are good, since it's an IPS panel. I'd say 45 degrees either way from dead center for 2D, maybe a little less for 3D.

Cons:

1) Poor blacks and contrast.
2) Passive again. You only get 540 lines of resolution per eye. Mind you, it looks better than the numbers would lead one to believe, and anyway, that would equate more to seeing 720p if you do the numbers. The black matrix mask is a bit more pronounced between pixels, and you can see it if you get close enough. It kind of looks like interlacing. On near horizontal lines you'll see jaggies, again, if you're close enough. Also moire, a shimmery effect you'll see on, say, a tightly patterned plaid shirt. These are not serious drawbacks, IMO, but there you are.
3) LG processing has a reputation for not being as good as the other major players. Motion interpolation has fine control for de-judder and de-blur, but you'll see haloing in fast motion if you use the high settings, a good deal less if you turn it down. OTOH, if you turn interpolation off, the TV can correctly render 24 fps (frames per second) film content.

On to the Sharp and Vizio:

1) As far as I can determine, both use the Sharp X-Gen panel. Expect better blacks and contrast than the LG, but off-axis viewing is not quite as good. Colors are good.
2) You can get active 3D with one of the Sharp 70" TVs. No 3D with the Vizio.
3) Initial reviews on the Sharp point out that it cannot correctly display 24 fps film content without 2:3 judder if the motion interpolation is turned off. Maybe that has been fixed with a firmware update, I dunno and although I read through the official threads, it seems not. The Vizio is supposed to *not* have that problem.
4) The Sharp looks to have a decent onboard media player, much like the LG, and can play content from a powered external NTFS formatted hard drive. The Vizio can only play content from a FAT32 formatted thumb drive.
5) The Sharp has fine controls adequate for a decent calibration. The Vizio does not, although supposedly one can get a good picture with the much less comprehensive controls available.

A few final thoughts:

1) I suspect that if you go down in size you may regret it.
2) The LG I have is rather flimsily built, despite its 90 plus pound weight. My LG developed a vertical line near the right hand side almost two months ago. Looking closely, it seems the frame is slightly warped (it's wall mounted). I discovered I can make the line go away (so far permanently) by putting slight pressure on the right bottom of the set by placing a block of wood behind the lower right side, letting the weight of the TV hold it in place.

When the problem first appeared, I contacted LG support, several times and although they said they'd get back to me each time, they never did. Mind you, the problem developed right at end of warranty and I first contacted them on the last day. The TV I bought was supposedly used, as new (display model), but they denied warranty coverage. Discover card also denied extended warranty coverage, saying the problem developed under the original warranty period, and it was therefore LG's baby. Since the TV is working fine at present, I have not pressed them further.

Now, this was likely my own fault, thinking the TV was covered by original warranty. I registered the TV immediately upon receiving it and never was notified of any problem. Be that as it may, there you are. I'm reluctant to get another LG now. As I said, the TV is still working fine, but I'm looking into another TV just in case.

3) Personally, and although I very much like passive 3D, I find I actually don't use it that much. What I'd truly like to have is an 80" plus 4k passive set, but current prices make that out of the question for me. So it's wait for that to become affordable or find an interim set, assuming I *DO* have to replace my LG soon.

4) All things considered, I'm leaning towards the Sharp 70" 640u model (no 3D). I cordially dislike active 3D and can do without 3D for awhile. Since I actually like motion interpolation, the Sharp's 2:3 judder doesn't concern me, so long as the smoothing is at least as good as on the LG.

I hope this rambling post gave you something useful to think over. Good luck whatever you get.
Datagg likes this.
post #4 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Well, it so happens that I have an LG 65LW6500 (2011 model) very similar to the LG you're considering. So I'll assume my observations on my TV will apply. And I've spent over a month researching the other two, with the addition of the Sharp 70" 640u model (no 3D).

First the LG:

Pros:

1) LGs have a deserved reputation for good colors out of the box.
2) Passive 3D. No crosstalk or ghosting. No eye fatigue and good bright picture. Cheap comfortable glasses.
3) The onboard media player is the exception to the rule that onboard TV media players generally are poor. Mine will play H264 encoded MKVs (made from my Blu-Rays) with chapters if present or approx 5 minute jumps depending on length of the movie, that can be activated with one menu button push. Or use the magic remote to select a spot on the time line.

I use 2 TB NTFS formatted external powered hard drives with the media player. The hard drive must use MBR (master boot record) partitioning scheme, rather than the GPT scheme needed for hard drives over 2 TB. A GPT volume will not be recognized. Likewise, using the Seagate workaround to make two MBR partitions on a 3 TB drive will not work either, or rather the second partition will not be recognized.

4) Viewing angles are good, since it's an IPS panel. I'd say 45 degrees either way from dead center for 2D, maybe a little less for 3D.

Cons:

1) Poor blacks and contrast.
2) Passive again. You only get 540 lines of resolution per eye. Mind you, it looks better than the numbers would lead one to believe, and anyway, that would equate more to seeing 720p if you do the numbers. The black matrix mask is a bit more pronounced between pixels, and you can see it if you get close enough. It kind of looks like interlacing. On near horizontal lines you'll see jaggies, again, if you're close enough. Also moire, a shimmery effect you'll see on, say, a tightly patterned plaid shirt. These are not serious drawbacks, IMO, but there you are.
3) LG processing has a reputation for not being as good as the other major players. Motion interpolation has fine control for de-judder and de-blur, but you'll see haloing in fast motion if you use the high settings, a good deal less if you turn it down. OTOH, if you turn interpolation off, the TV can correctly render 24 fps (frames per second) film content.

On to the Sharp and Vizio:

1) As far as I can determine, both use the Sharp X-Gen panel. Expect better blacks and contrast than the LG, but off-axis viewing is not quite as good. Colors are good.
2) You can get active 3D with one of the Sharp 70" TVs. No 3D with the Vizio.
3) Initial reviews on the Sharp point out that it cannot correctly display 24 fps film content without 2:3 judder if the motion interpolation is turned off. Maybe that has been fixed with a firmware update, I dunno and although I read through the official threads, it seems not. The Vizio is supposed to *not* have that problem.
4) The Sharp looks to have a decent onboard media player, much like the LG, and can play content from a powered external NTFS formatted hard drive. The Vizio can only play content from a FAT32 formatted thumb drive.
5) The Sharp has fine controls adequate for a decent calibration. The Vizio does not, although supposedly one can get a good picture with the much less comprehensive controls available.

A few final thoughts:

1) I suspect that if you go down in size you may regret it.
2) The LG I have is rather flimsily built, despite its 90 plus pound weight. My LG developed a vertical line near the right hand side almost two months ago. Looking closely, it seems the frame is slightly warped (it's wall mounted). I discovered I can make the line go away (so far permanently) by putting slight pressure on the right bottom of the set by placing a block of wood behind the lower right side, letting the weight of the TV hold it in place.

When the problem first appeared, I contacted LG support, several times and although they said they'd get back to me each time, they never did. Mind you, the problem developed right at end of warranty and I first contacted them on the last day. The TV I bought was supposedly used, as new (display model), but they denied warranty coverage. Discover card also denied extended warranty coverage, saying the problem developed under the original warranty period, and it was therefore LG's baby. Since the TV is working fine at present, I have not pressed them further.

Now, this was likely my own fault, thinking the TV was covered by original warranty. I registered the TV immediately upon receiving it and never was notified of any problem. Be that as it may, there you are. I'm reluctant to get another LG now. As I said, the TV is still working fine, but I'm looking into another TV just in case.

3) Personally, and although I very much like passive 3D, I find I actually don't use it that much. What I'd truly like to have is an 80" plus 4k passive set, but current prices make that out of the question for me. So it's wait for that to become affordable or find an interim set, assuming I *DO* have to replace my LG soon.

4) All things considered, I'm leaning towards the Sharp 70" 640u model (no 3D). I cordially dislike active 3D and can do without 3D for awhile. Since I actually like motion interpolation, the Sharp's 2:3 judder doesn't concern me, so long as the smoothing is at least as good as on the LG.

I hope this rambling post gave you something useful to think over. Good luck whatever you get.

Thank you. Lots of info, lots to absorb. I am going out today to look at some sets, just to get an idea especially size wise going down if that occurs. We have a big area the 73 goes in now, so it will open things up allot going down, yet will be a shock to the family and me that im not sure i could handle. So im going to look at the 65's again, maybe 70"... Would love to go bigger, yet those are big bucks and the wife would kill me.

Thanks again for insights. Gonna be a day of blank stares,,,Wife going with so this will be fun looking.
post #5 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Here is a little calculator for TV size that another forum member posted. http://www.tvcalculator.com/ You can play around with it a bit to give you an idea of the relative sizes of diiferent tvs. It looks like going from 73" to 65" makes a pretty big difference in surface area....about 2276 square inches to about 1805 square inches. That's about a 19% difference. You may notice that. Maybe you could go to a store that has these different sizes close together, like Costco, and see the difference first hand. Good luck.

Tom
Datagg likes this.
post #6 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM

I'm looking for a 70" with 3D as well and am in your same boat. You should check out the new M series in 70" by Vizio.

I've decided to wait for it, since it's the right size, the right quality (well, yet to be seen) and the price is perfect.

Sorry I'm not more help.
Datagg likes this.
post #7 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post

Thank you. Lots of info, lots to absorb. I am going out today to look at some sets, just to get an idea especially size wise going down if that occurs. We have a big area the 73 goes in now, so it will open things up allot going down, yet will be a shock to the family and me that im not sure i could handle. So im going to look at the 65's again, maybe 70"... Would love to go bigger, yet those are big bucks and the wife would kill me.

Thanks again for insights. Gonna be a day of blank stares,,,Wife going with so this will be fun looking.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the Vizio's. Their quality and support issues may have improved for this year's models but if past history is any indicator, Vizio is still more of a crap shoot than any other major mfr of tv's. There's a reason why their prices are so attractive.
Datagg likes this.
post #8 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM

I should add that *ALL* the TVs so far mentioned are edge-lit and therefore exhibit a lack of uniformity.

Mine does. I tried the very gentle rubbing sometimes suggested, to no avail. However, the clouding was minor to begin with and lessened considerably as the TV got more hours on it. I can only see it when switching to an inactive input, and it's rather subtle.

Just to emphasize, LG's have some of the worst black levels and contrast of any of the majors. If that's likely to bother you, then forget LG. I'm not saying the picture is bad, far from it, and it's darker scenes that are affected worst. For me, getting passive 3D was the decisive factor, and at the time only LG and Vizio had a 65" passive set. The LG and M series 65" Vizio used the same LG panel, and I got the LG rather than the Vizio on the strength of reputation for reliability and support. And I'd still be a little leery of Vizio.

For what it's worth, though, the E series Vizio 70" has been reviewed quite favorably. Nevertheless, the price difference between the Vizio and the Sharp 640u disappears if you buy the Sharp from, say, East Coast TVs (who don't carry Vizios). Free shipping and no tax if you're not in New Jersey. No returns, so you have to check it before signing off on the shipper's invoice. If it's defective, simply refuse to sign, and it's the shipper's problem. If a defect develops after signing, it's Sharp's baby. Supposedly their warranty service is decent.

I forgot to add that in addition to chapter jumps, there's variable forward and reverse when using the onboard media player, both the LG and the Sharps.

Good luck.
Datagg likes this.
post #9 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

I forgot to add that in addition to chapter jumps, there's variable forward and reverse when using the onboard media player, both the LG and the Sharps.

Good luck.

Good points. But for me, I wouldn't even consider the smart tv aspects as part of the decision-making process because I think a smart tv is a dumb idea. Too many issues reported with updates etc. You're much better off using a STB (Roku, AppleTV, etc) or an integrated blu-ray player for your internet use.
Datagg likes this.
post #10 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM

I am in a similar boat and waiting for the Samsung 75" prices. With the slimline edges the 75" sets are not that much bigger than the Sharp 70" set. The question is really how much they will be when they come out.
Datagg likes this.
post #11 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Good points. But for me, I wouldn't even consider the smart tv aspects as part of the decision-making process because I think a smart tv is a dumb idea. Too many issues reported with updates etc. You're much better off using a STB (Roku, AppleTV, etc) or an integrated blu-ray player for your internet use.

I agree as to SmartTV; I played around with it some, but never use it now. My HTPC has me covered.

I was referring though to using an external drive (via USB to TV) with the onboard player, which may take the place of a separate media player. Depends what one's usage would be, but that's one less device needed if it suits one's purposes. I find it to be convenient. Controls are right there on the standard remote. I can do the same through my LG670 BD standalone player (also has SmartTV), but the navigation is slower. And I don't have to start up my HTPC as often if all I want to do is watch an MKV.
Datagg likes this.
post #12 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input guys. Whewww been a long day. Went to Sams, Costco, Best buy, fryes electronics even went to Walts tv yet they were closed. Just got home. So many to look at. The wife is happy with the Vizeo, for the size and the 3d...but its the cost that drivers her decision... I am afraid of the Vizeo, yet she says get a extended warranty..... Wife a tough cookie. I saw t hat 90" monster at frys, would love that, yet wife gave me that look of death.

Well we seen allot today..No one had the 70 Vizeo to look at, or the LG 65 set either..... Most pushing the higher sets is what it looks like to me. Some of the lessor models weren't even on. Some hated passive 3d, some loved it.... mixed bag on that as always. I really do want 3D though... With our 73 WD now with active, the kids, wife all love it.... It's not watched everyday 3D, but when it is its a love affair. The salesmen all spouted about the smart stuff, which i dont care about as i have a 360 and PS3 and do major streaming action..... and will be getting new systems when out also... They talking about streaming allot of 3D down the pipe. Netflix on PS3 is doing 3d streams now, so the family loves that. The glasses however are a pain, hence why a passive rig seems much more attractive at the moment, even with its limitations.

For the most part, online ordering seems to be the best option..... Frys had at one time the LG i mentioned above, yet has no plans to get it back they told me..... I mentioned there online store shows the LG for $1,500 yet the sales dude said that place is a waste and dont bother with it..... Didn't quite like the tone, so I moved on.....

So at this point, i don't know what to do....Pauls Tv called also and they wont be getting in the 65 LG anymore either....odd no one seems to have it.... Zillions of 55" and lower.. yet there seems to be a serious gap from 60" and up.... Got allot to think about that's for sure.... Even now the wife is saying just order the Vizeo...She likes that 70 incher, yet damn Vizeo scares me..... Definitely would get an extended warranty if that happens.... I like the LG, not the best per above, yet the loss of size gets to me also...ahhh.... This is driving me batty. Again thank you guys so much for all your help and insight. I printed it all out and am using it as my bible so to speak...... plus to let the wifey see it also....
post #13 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Well man, don't let it stress you out. No matter what TV you get, as long as you go 70" and bigger, I think you will be happy with it. The picture is probably as good, if not better than what you are leaving behind, so just purchase and don't worry about it, enjoy it! By the way, it's Vizio you keep typing Vizeo a lot, oh and it's a lot, not allot. :P
Datagg likes this.
post #14 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The bigger the panel is not always the best way to go. The bigger the panel, the more pq issues you will see. If you're bent on going that big, then definitely stay away from Vizio, even with an extended warranty. It's nice to know that they will come out (possibly) to fix whatever is wrong but if your issues keep happening time after time, what's the point? Caveat emptor.
Datagg likes this.
post #15 of 72 Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM

You might want to wait for the new 2013 models to come out next month.

If you really want the 65" LG, East Coast TVs has it priced at $2,079, and I'd be surprised if anyone has it cheaper than that. But their website says it's currently on order. Nevertheless, they sell a lot of TVs, and will likely get some more in. Remember what I said above about dealing with East Coast TVs, and don't buy their extended warranty or any of their extras like cables or mounts. They're overpriced.

I dunno where you got that price of $ 1,500 bucks. Either you're mistaken and it was a 55", or it was a used or refurb set. Too cheap even then. If you're set on passive 3D, your only other choice is a 65" M series Vizio at the moment. Wal-Mart has the 3D 240 Hz M3D651SV Vizio listed at $1,648, but it's out of stock.The E series 70" isn't 3D.

It really seems that the 2012 models are getting scarce already.

[EDIT] Sam's Club still has the M3D651SV in stock for $1,588.
Datagg likes this.
post #16 of 72 Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM

Liked: 11
I just want to say that some people talk negatively about the Vizio . I have had one for 5 years and will definitely get another one. It is the best selling TV in the US. Also , they have terrific customer service. All right here in the good old USA. So , get a Vizio . You will never regret it. Vizio is an American company.
Datagg likes this.
post #17 of 72 Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillxz View Post

I just want to say that some people talk negatively about the Vizio . I have had one for 5 years and will definitely get another one. It is the best selling TV in the US. Also , they have terrific customer service. All right here in the good old USA. So , get a Vizio . You will never regret it. Vizio is an American company.

Haha. I had a hard time reading this one. What makes Vizio an American company? Who makes Vizio? They're not the best selling TV in the US. There's been countless horry stories of their awful customer service and terrible track record.

I'm glad you've had good luck with yours, and more power to ya for wanting to own another, but atleast have some knowledge around the company you're referring too.
Datagg likes this.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #18 of 72 Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Consumer reports rated Vizio very well. As for reliability, the best tv which incluled Panasonic and about 2 others was a 2% failure rate, Sony and about 2 others was 3% and Vizio along with a few others was 4%. They also said any difference of less than 3% was meaningless. So I don't have any issues with buying a Vizio.
Datagg likes this.
post #19 of 72 Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Consumer reports rated Vizio very well. As for reliability, the best tv which incluled Panasonic and about 2 others was a 2% failure rate, Sony and about 2 others was 3% and Vizio along with a few others was 4%. They also said any difference of less than 3% was meaningless. So I don't have any issues with buying a Vizio.

Well, enjoy that Vizio then. See you in 2 years.
Datagg likes this.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

post #20 of 72 Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Here is another topic that lists the latest consumer reports:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461857/consumerreports-lcd-ratings
Datagg likes this.
post #21 of 72 Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Post all the links you want from consumer reports, Vizio is NOT a top tier brand. That's a fact.
Datagg likes this.

post #22 of 72 Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 13
I did get a Sharp 70" 640 series back in January to replace my old Sony 60" SXRD. Very pleased with it, and actually like it more than I thought I would. Excellent PQ after tweaking the settings with help from the Sharp 640 thread. Uniformity is not perfect, but pretty darn good -- I can only notice very slight uneven black level with no signal going into the TV.

Since you are coming from a 73" RP, I think you really HAVE to go to 70" or larger to be satisfied. In fact, you might want to consider the 80" Sharp.
Datagg likes this.
post #23 of 72 Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That rates tv's by pq, which any new tv is going to, or should have, very good pq. I've seen Vizios at Costco that looked really good. But pq is not really the issue with Vizios, it's reliability, quality of build, customer support, and robustness of firmware updates. Vizio was started in 2002 and has it's corporate headquarters in Irvine, CA but the sets are cobbled together in China.
Datagg likes this.
post #24 of 72 Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM

If you decide on the Vizio, I'd highly recommend you purchase it from Costco. They will extend the factory warranty from 1 to 2 years, offer a reasonably priced Square deal 5 year warranty, and most importantly they have a great return policy. I just had a very poor experience with a Vizio E320i-a0 from costco. I bought and returned 3 of them, all defective. Costco probably got a bad batch. These tvs are made in China. Don't buy the Vizio from an online retailer, the return, should you need one, will be too cumbersome.

Tom
Datagg likes this.
post #25 of 72 Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpcorr View Post

If you decide on the Vizio, I'd highly recommend you purchase it from Costco. They will extend the factory warranty from 1 to 2 years, offer a reasonably priced Square deal 5 year warranty, and most importantly they have a great return policy. I just had a very poor experience with a Vizio E320i-a0 from costco. I bought and returned 3 of them, all defective. Costco probably got a bad batch. These tvs are made in China. Don't buy the Vizio from an online retailer, the return, should you need one, will be too cumbersome.

Tom
I am not sure about e320i but typically vizio's are designed in the US and assembled in mexico. They use sharp panels like Sony and others.
AFA reliability and durability they are in line with others and customer service is rated amoungst the best.
You want bad customer service? Try Samsung and Panasonics.
Buying TV is a matter of luck. Some never break until you get get rid of them and othrs that will break and it has nothing to do with brand.
Datagg likes this.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #26 of 72 Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

We ended up getting the M3D651SV. Seems to be working great, family loves the 3D. Wife found it at Walmart for $1,600. So off i went to grab it, they only had 1 left. Bought 4 year extended warranty (kicks in after manufacture)- With that being said, im reading now that Vizeo aren't all that kind with there warranty as far as coming out to the house etc. This certainly wasn't the easiest thing to setup. Even had a top right screw strip out on the base, really ticked me off as it wasn't torqued down hard at all.... Anyways, still seems strong, bit flimsy though if pushed some other than that seems solid enough. When i registered it, they offered a Square Trade warranty for 4 years at $89.00 bucks. Almost looked better than the NEW warranty from Walmart, yet then i noticed no accidental spillage and a few other differences so held off on that. Then began to read just how horrible Vizeo is on taking care of defective units at home, while the Square trade (unlike the Walmart) one appeared to me that they would come out even during the manufactures warranty. Does that sound right?.... If so, just to avoid dealing with Vizeo for a year I may grab that deal then. I know we took a gamble going lower end and just want the security of less hassle if something should go wrong.

I wrote in the 650 thread, if there was an official for this unit as i didn't see one. Some colors are just a bit off, not sure if its the source of the HR34 or not as i dont see that issue in say the PS3 with a movie, or the Blue Ray player itself. Seems like what i would call morphing, perhaps a halo look, seems to mostly occur with greens. Almost like pixelation, yet not as defined or blocky like that rather haloish.... Hard to explain, im sure you guys no way more than this than i. This the first LED set Ive owned. Going down from my 73 Mits isn't all that bad either, i was really surprised on that as i thought it would. Picture not as washy as the WD was, so i think that's why it just looks so much better we dont even really notice the size difference.

I tried to convince her that 80 inch was awesome they had on display, then the evil eye.... I tried.. LOL..

Anyways thanks for all your comments along the way guys.
post #27 of 72 Old 03-08-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ good luck with your set. I hope the only problem you have is the screw being stripped.
post #28 of 72 Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^ good luck with your set. I hope the only problem you have is the screw being stripped.

Thanks. Me too.
post #29 of 72 Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Last time I looked WalMart warranty begins from the date of purchase. Double check on it.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #30 of 72 Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

Last time I looked WalMart warranty begins from the date of purchase. Double check on it.

I wish, They definitely start after. They told me that and just verified on label. That's why I was thinking about the square trade deal also..... They appear to start the day of purchase. .
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 65lm6200 65 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Sharp Aquos 70 Inch Led Lcd Aquomotion
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page