Samsung LN40A550, A Love Story-PLEASE HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy folks, I haven't been on the forum(s) since 2008/2009 and I see there's been a lot of nice changes... site looks real good!! biggrin.gif

When recently I started having issues with a new display purchase, I knew just where to turn... to all the fine folks here at AVS that seriously know their stuff!! smile.gif

With that being said, here's my recent bind:

In March 2008 I sold my 32" Vizio and purchased a Samsung LN40A550- (1080p LCD @ 60Hz). Was quite the upgrade, at the time. I instantly fell in love with my new display. Gaming on my 360 & PS3 looked brilliant, and Blu-Ray's were lifelike. To my eyes, after a ton of research... Samsung had the best display(s).

I had purchased my set at Best Buy.. and, on a whim, also purchased their "Black Tie" protection plan... which turned-out to be a smart move.

A year or two in I had some screen "artifacts/dead/stuck pixels" which, with my plan, Best Buy sent out someone to my home to quickly service- putting in a brand-new panel and main board. After that, was trouble-free with my set for a few more (awesome) years, until this February. I was getting a flicker that came and went on the screen. Luckily, I was still within my plan. Best Buy sent someone out whom confirmed it was a backlight issue and ordered some parts. Two days later I get a voicemail from Best Buy customer service that because my service plan was almost up- (March 9th)- that instead of waiting for parts to come in, hoping to fix the issue, and have my plan expire within that time... decided to offer me a $500 credit for my set towards a purchase of a new one. Which, I thought was really cool of them. But, honestly, I really liked my LN40A550. They didn't give me a choice... it was a "take it or leave it" kinda deal. Best Buy explained that the credit for a new set would full-fill my 4-year protection plan.

So last Saturday I bring my beloved LN40A550 Sammy into my local Best Buy. After looking at their wall(s) of displays, decided to go Samsung, again, and purchased a UN46EH6000- (1080p LED @ 120Hz). I get that sucker home and I set it all up, super excited!! I'm blown away by the picture... the colors are popping, the picture is bright, lifelike & smooth. But then, the problems start... after gazing in amazement at my new toy for a couple hours, I start-up my PS3. (I should mention that I have my 360 & PS3 connected via HDMI and I play my Blu-Ray's through the PS3). And I notice that, while all the games (pictures) look fantastic, having the PS3 going out at 60Hz on my 120Hz set produced enough "clipping" and "blury-ness" when I panned, that it was driving me absolutely nuts. I tried playing with every setting I could think of... on the PS3 and the Sammy. Nothing would help. The next issue that "sealed the deal" to return this set, for me... was when I popped in Resistance 3 in the PS3. While the style of that game has always been a "depressing" brown & gray... my LN40A550 handled it extremely well... the game looked clean & clear. While, on the new Sammy, it was extremely washed-out to the point of frustration. Like looking at a dark PS2 game on an HD set through composite cables. I couldn't take it. Being that I use my display(s) for 90% gaming, I returned Sunday to Best Buy to exchange.

So, I chose a different display... the Sammy LN40E550. Which, I guess I'm safe to assume, is the successor to my ol' LN40A550. Same as that set- 1080p LCD @ 60Hz. I figured... "ok, now we're good". Get back, set her up... *sigh*... first off, there's a decent size "cloud" on the lower left-hand corner. As well, skin tones are orange and the picture has this sort-of "pastel" type texture to it...(anyone know what I mean be that??? lol!!). And finally, notice sometimes, around moving people and items, that when they start to move on-screen, there's some slight "pixelization" around them/it. I play with the settings and am only able to get the skin-tone issue slightly better... while some folks on-screen have a decent/more legit color-tone, at the same-time, another person is still "orange-y". Sometimes still completely "oranged-out". I move onto gaming... I'm thrilled that the clipping is gone. But the picture seems "softer" then on my LN40A550. And, Resistance 3, and a few other titles are washed-out, again. Play with the settings... and get barely any improvement. Even with "game mode" on. The worst is with Blu-Ray's... while on my old set they looked fantastic: colors, background, people, etc. were crisp, lifelike. It was like looking through a window. But on the E550 it looks "low-end DVD quality"... dull, (the overall picture and colors). Still clear but "washed out". While also being extremely grainy, (even on new films), lifeless- people look "orange-y" again, and that "pastel" look and "pixelization" around things continues. I play with all my settings, again, on both my PS3 and new set. And, again, little to no improvement.

I call Best Buy on Monday hoping I could just get my LN40A550 back but was told it was already sent away.

*Sigh*... I'm going nuts here. Or am I "just nuts"?!! lol!!

Has Samsung changed panels, or the quality of their panels in the years since my original set?? Can anyone suggest a different model LCD or manufacturer whom produces a set that'll bring me "back to the glory days" (sorta speak) of my LN40A550?? Helk, I would even consider a monitor (w/ an HDMI input).

I should state that I am stuck with the selection(s) at Best Buy. Any help, comments, or suggestions would certainly be GREATLY appreciated!! This back-and-forth search is costing me both financially and with stress. I'm worried that I may be "blocked" exchanging too many times... while it's costing me in gas as my closest Best Buy is 40+ minutes away. While the time and effort it takes to set-up, then de-assemble, re-package, load, and un-load these sets is taking its toll... lol!!

Thank you so much, folks. smile.gif

NOTE: As with being restricted to Best Buy's selection, I should also note my price range is $1,000 or under and I'm not picky on screen-size. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

C'mon guys... I could seriously use some help here.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 AM

Liked: 11
Why do you keep buying Sammys? lol. I had the same experience as you, my A750 (wonderful picture) died prematurely (had it repaired 4 times in 3 years) but I was smart enough to switch to another manufacturer. Check out the LG 8600/7600 or the Panasonic WT50/DT50. Are you switching the sets to GAME mode when you start gaming? GAME mode eliminates all the post processing and typically the clipping, bluriness when panning, and display lag that goes along with post processing. Are you calibrating the TV's when you bring them home? From my experience a good calibration will fix most of the color and pixelation issues you are having. It sounds like your settings are out of whack or you have too much post processing cranked up (TrueMotion or MotionPlus whatever). It sounds like maybe you are just bringing them home from the store and plugging them in? I don't think I've come across a TV I couldn't get a good picture on after some calibrating with a WOW disc and some tweaking. I picked up a LG 47LM8600 and haven't looked back at my old A750. Gaming on it is fantastic, and I play a wide variety of things.

Sorry if you're reading my post and thinking DUH!, I just didn't see you mention anything about calibrating or using game mode which is often the cure for the ailments you mention.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

I keep buying Samsung's because when they work well... the picture looks great. And if something serious goes wrong I have the 4-year black tie protection. Using game mode does not help. I mentioned that above. And no, I don't "bring them home and plug them in". It was all written above, in my post.The "clipping" on the LED was playing the 60Hz gaming on the 120Hz set. The set I'm talking about now is a 60Hz LCD, the E550. The clipping is gone as it's a 60Hz set. And I've played with every setting, on the TV, Blu-Ray player, PS3, and 360 and the set just looks like shite. I'm just assuming that Samsung, and possibly other set providers, have just become cheaper in the years between my sets. I'm now considering plasma... glare is not such a big deal, nor is the brightness, as I play mostly at night. I'm just worried about the ol' burn-in. I'd even consider a PC monitor. I'm not interested in LED. I hope I don't give the wrong impression though, NOCTURNX... :-P I know I write a lot. It's a lot to take in. And I truly do appreciate that you responded. smile.gif Are you a gamer?? Have you played games on a plasma?? smile.gif Thank you very much!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln40a550 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page