Recommendations - 32" to 42" LED for bedroom with lots of light. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
It's been six years since I bought a TV of any kind so I'm a bit out of the loop. Current set downstairs is a 720p Samsung plasma purchased from Sams Club that has been bulletproof. It will get replaced with another plasma in the next year or two. What I'm currently looking for is a bedroom TV which I would like to be LED and somewhere in the range of 32" to 42". This will be something for watching stuff on Netflix while laying in bed. Viewing distance probably 8' to 9' away. Having apps or wifi built into the TV is not a requirement as I will probably strap a Roku box to the back of the TV. We use an Xbox 360 for streaming apps downstairs which is fine but I would like something a little more simple for the wife so I think the Roku will handle that. I would rather not buy a TV sight unseen from an etailer like Amazon but if that is what I have to do to get the best bang for the buck and model I will. I like Samsung, Panasonic, LG is okay from what I have seen. Would like to stay away from Emerson, RCA, Vizio unless they just make something amazing I don't know about. Budget is not the biggest factor here but it is a consideration of course. I would rather have some solid choices first and then refine the budget if necessary. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

It's been six years since I bought a TV of any kind so I'm a bit out of the loop. Current set downstairs is a 720p Samsung plasma purchased from Sams Club that has been bulletproof. It will get replaced with another plasma in the next year or two. What I'm currently looking for is a bedroom TV which I would like to be LED and somewhere in the range of 32" to 42". This will be something for watching stuff on Netflix while laying in bed. Viewing distance probably 8' to 9' away. Having apps or wifi built into the TV is not a requirement as I will probably strap a Roku box to the back of the TV. We use an Xbox 360 for streaming apps downstairs which is fine but I would like something a little more simple for the wife so I think the Roku will handle that. I would rather not buy a TV sight unseen from an etailer like Amazon but if that is what I have to do to get the best bang for the buck and model I will. I like Samsung, Panasonic, LG is okay from what I have seen. Would like to stay away from Emerson, RCA, Vizio unless they just make something amazing I don't know about. Budget is not the biggest factor here but it is a consideration of course. I would rather have some solid choices first and then refine the budget if necessary. Any suggestions?

In terms of where to buy, that's a personal choice, but places like BBY will price Amazon, so if you prefer to see the FP first but want to guarantee the best price, head to BBY or anywhere else that'll honor that as well, and ask them to check Amazon.

For a recommendation, I'd look at the Samsung 40" EH6000 or EH5000, difference being 120Hz vs 60Hz.
On the smaller size, I'd look at the Toshiba 32C120U, really solid value and performer for the price if the 32" size will suffice. Personally I'd think that 32" is too small for how far away you're sitting. I'd also look at the 37EH5000 or 5003 model for a happy medium on size.

If 42" isn't too big the EX440 from Sony is also a pretty solid value that I'd consider.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Liked: 14
I like Toshiba products. Very solid and priced well. In the 40" they have the 40l2200u and the 40l5200u. difference between the two being 60 vs 120 refresh rate. But act fast, these are 2012 models and inventory is drying up quickly as they are being discounted.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroG View Post

I like Toshiba products. Very solid and priced well. In the 40" they have the 40l2200u and the 40l5200u. difference between the two being 60 vs 120 refresh rate. But act fast, these are 2012 models and inventory is drying up quickly as they are being discounted.

The 40L5200 completely slipped my mind. Great option. One I'd put on par, if not ahead of the EH6000. Thanks quattro!

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! Wow, the price is right on that Toshiba 40L5200 and I think it ticks all the boxes. For that price I would be willing to try it sight unseen. I was reading about those two Samsung models earlier and the EH6000 is only about $50 more than the Toshiba but the EH6000 is not a slim model which I would kind of like to have since I'm mounting it on the wall and near a bathroom door. I'm thinking of one of those picture hanging type mounts for it so that's another plus for the Toshiba since it's so thin. Hmm...what to do.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM

Liked: 62
FWIW I was looking at the same size range for a new TV upstairs in my computer room and ended up going ordering this today.

$369 - Westinghouse UW40T2BW 40-Inch 1080p 120HZ Slim LED HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EOJKEU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really wanted the 40" size but had I gone for the 32" size I would have picked up today's WOOT item. Great specs.

$379 - Samsung UN32EH6030 32" 1080p 3D LED HDTV with 2 Pairs of 3D Glasses
http://www.woot.com/offers/samsung-32-1080p-3d-led-hdtv

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

FWIW I was looking at the same size range for a new TV upstairs in my computer room and ended up going ordering this today.

$369 - Westinghouse UW40T2BW 40-Inch 1080p 120HZ Slim LED HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EOJKEU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really wanted the 40" size but had I gone for the 32" size I would have picked up today's WOOT item. Great specs.

$379 - Samsung UN32EH6030 32" 1080p 3D LED HDTV with 2 Pairs of 3D Glasses
http://www.woot.com/offers/samsung-32-1080p-3d-led-hdtv

Thanks for those suggestions. I wouldn't mind the Westinghouse unless it has the greenish cast I have seen on some of their sets. That Samsung looks to be a good deal but I'm kind of sold on the thin chassis designs now.

Based on where I have to mount this TV I'm now thinking that the picture mount, puck and cable type mounting may not be best for me. I will probably be lucky to hit one stud on the wall so I need some horizontal spacing that only a traditional wall mount can probably offer. It will stil be pretty flush to the wall but maybe a tilting type for those days when our viewing will be mostly laying down if you know what I mean.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 11
Hey Dropzone!

I'm not sure what you decided to do, but I bought the Toshiba 32C120U for my bedroom and its a beautiful little TV. I realize its kinda small, so it depends on what you really want. But I think, for the $$, its unbeatable. Also, the CNET review for that device gives you a link to the best calibrated settings. You just set it and forget it and the picture is stunning. Bought a telescoping mount from Amazon and its about perfect.

Good luck!
post #9 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

The 40L5200 completely slipped my mind. Great option. One I'd put on par, if not ahead of the EH6000. Thanks quattro!

Glad I could help. I have a 2009 Toshiba 42xv545u lcd 120hz tv. It's been great. Fantastic picture and their 120hz doesn't cause Soap Opera effect.
I have been a very happy Toshiba owner over the years. Yes, My newest tv is an LG 55lm7600. But if I could have found a Toshiba with the same options locally, I would have bought that.
I think Toshiba has pulled out of the American market some. It's getting harder and harder to find them in brick and mortar stores locally where I live. And even the Best Buy only has a few of their lower models. Sears has a few as well.

Good luck.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono2dolby View Post

Hey Dropzone!

I'm not sure what you decided to do, but I bought the Toshiba 32C120U for my bedroom and its a beautiful little TV. I realize its kinda small, so it depends on what you really want. But I think, for the $$, its unbeatable. Also, the CNET review for that device gives you a link to the best calibrated settings. You just set it and forget it and the picture is stunning. Bought a telescoping mount from Amazon and its about perfect.

Good luck!

Second on that one I bought the same set for bedroom last month after looking at many other 32"s PQ on the Toshiba is hard to beat .Of the ones I looked at only a more expensive Sony or Samsung 32 could equal it. Picture is very good. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-32c120u/4014-6482_7-35159739.html

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Samsung 64 Inch Plasma P64fp , Vizio , Emerson , Rca , Samsung , Panasonic , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page