Official Sharp 60LE650U/70LE650U/80 Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 595 Old 01-19-2014, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

There are some more settings on TweakTV, but they just adjust backlight (-4) and contrast (+30).  Not really worthwhile IMO.  The CNET settings have similar backlight/contrast settings along with full range of other values.  

Nonetheless, trying to make this as comprehensive as possible, here is a link if anyone wants to review them.

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/calibration-guide/sharp-lc60le650u.html

Quote:

User Menu Settings

• Picture Modes
    • Picture Mode : Movie
    • Color Temperature : Low
    • Aspect Ratio : Stretch
  • Picture Setting
    • Backlight : -4
    • Contrast : 30
    • Brightness : 0
    • Color : 0
    • Tint : 0
    • Sharpness : 0
  • Advanced Settings
    • CMS Hue : Factory
    • CMS Sat : Factory
    • CMS Value : Factory
    • Color Temp : Low
    • Motion Enhancement : 120 Hz low
    • Quad Pixel Plus : On
    • Active Contrast : Off
    • Gamma Adjust : 0
    • Film Mode : Standard
    • Digital Noise Reduction : Off
    • Mono Chrome : Off
    • Range of OPC : +16/-10

Forum Stats

Current Threads: 2

Hi, I would like to know the best picture settings for th...    read more

I see you guys have a LC60LE650U. I checked that but mine h...    read more

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 595 Old 01-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Merged threads and retitled. Seems we had two threads going for the same models and a lot of information was having to be duplicated. Note that, during the merge, replies to unquoted posts may seem a bit confusing.

ALSO: NOTE THAT WHEN QUOTING A REPLY WITH A LOT OF IMAGES, UNLESS IT'S TOTALLY NECESSARY TO REPEAT ALL THE IMAGES, PLEASE TRUNCATE THE QUOTE.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #273 of 595 Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post

StuR -- I have the 80" version, plus the DirecTV Genie.  I too like using the DirecTV remote.  My remote turns TV on/off, controls volume (although I have volume lock setup now so it controls my AVR volume instead), allows TV input, channel selection, menu functionality, etc.  Overall, I'm getting about 90%+ functionality of the original remote.  Biggest thing I don't get is the "return" button when in menu settings which is a bit annoying.  So if I need to do much in that sense, I typically grab the Sharp remote, although the DirecTV remote can do it -- it's just a little faster.

I'm not sure how to decipher the number code of the remote.  I set mine up using the on-screen display which doesn't give codes, but rather you just select TV then Sharp and it automatically did the rest.  I tried finding the number code for another guy, and couldn't.  Not sure why.  I know on some of the old universal remotes, you could enter a key code sequence and the remote would flash the code back at you.  If you know how to do that I can input in mine and happy to share the code.

Two different OP's.  I originated this one and mengqi68 originated the other.  I am okay if they are blended, and wish they would be as I think both have some good info.  We need to get a moderator's attention.  At the time this was created, I didn't know the other existed.  

That being said, I am copying/pasting your GAME settings so people don't have to flip back/forth.

Are you using the new generation remote that comes with the hr44 genie or the original one that has been around for years? I tried the auto remote programming but the genie only reported errors and never programmed it.
post #274 of 595 Old 01-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 11
Game Mode is the way to go Smokarz. No motion nonsense like in Movie mode. Please post gamut settings when available. So you have everything on zero for hue, saturation and value?
nathan_h likes this.
post #275 of 595 Old 01-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Merged threads and retitled. Seems we had two threads going for the same models and a lot of information was having to be duplicated. Note that, during the merge, replies to unquoted posts may seem a bit confusing.

ALSO: NOTE THAT WHEN QUOTING A REPLY WITH A LOT OF IMAGES, UNLESS IT'S TOTALLY NECESSARY TO REPEAT ALL THE IMAGES, PLEASE TRUNCATE THE QUOTE.

Thanks Don.  I sent a report last night/early AM requesting the merge, but didn't expect it to happen this fast.  Much appreciated.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuR View Post

Are you using the new generation remote that comes with the hr44 genie or the original one that has been around for years? I tried the auto remote programming but the genie only reported errors and never programmed it.

It has to be the newer one.  Just switched to DirecTV about 1.5 years ago.  In fact, we were one of the first Genie installs in our area, according to the installer.  

post #276 of 595 Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Hi all - longtime lurker, first time poster.

I just picked up a 60LE650U from BB since it was on sale for $950.  I'm impressed with this TV with one major exception, I appear to have horizontal banding throughout the entire picture.  I've used different sources, cables, etc, and still see it.  I'm guessing I have a defective one but still thought I'd get some thoughts...

I see it primarily in darker portions of the screen.

post #277 of 595 Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohn505 View Post

Hi all - longtime lurker, first time poster.

I just picked up a 60LE650U from BB since it was on sale for $950.  I'm impressed with this TV with one major exception, I appear to have horizontal banding throughout the entire picture.  I've used different sources, cables, etc, and still see it.  I'm guessing I have a defective one but still thought I'd get some thoughts...

I see it primarily in darker portions of the screen.

That doesn't look right. Any photos of a real image?

post #278 of 595 Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theride66 View Post

Game Mode is the way to go Smokarz. No motion nonsense like in Movie mode. Please post gamut settings when available. So you have everything on zero for hue, saturation and value?

IIRC he hasn't calibrated the gamut yet.

post #279 of 595 Old 01-20-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by theride66 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

IIRC he hasn't calibrated the gamut yet.

Yes, I agree. Game mode looks the best. I am pretty impressed with the performance of this TV considering the price I've paid for it and only calibrated the greyscale thus far in Game mode.

Unfortunately, I've returned this TV for a Samsung plasma. I guess I've been spoiled so many years by a Panasonic plasma. Though this is a very nice TV, I just can't live with the off angle viewing performance on these LEDs. As soon as you stepped 20-30 degrees of axis, all those calibrations you did on greyscale and gamut just went out the window. Color accuracy dropped off significantly and the picture looks completely washed out. It's worse if you're at 45 degrees or more. It's not a fault with this TV particularly, but a technology short comings of edge lit LEDs.

So my brief affair with this TV has been pleasant, but personally I still prefer the plasma tongue.gif

Good luck to everyone, and enjoy your units.
post #280 of 595 Old 01-20-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Yes, I agree. Game mode looks the best. I am pretty impressed with the performance of this TV considering the price I've paid for it and only calibrated the greyscale thus far in Game mode.

Unfortunately, I've returned this TV for a Samsung plasma. I guess I've been spoiled so many years by a Panasonic plasma. Though this is a very nice TV, I just can't live with the off angle viewing performance on these LEDs. As soon as you stepped 20-30 degrees of axis, all those calibrations you did on greyscale and gamut just went out the window. Color accuracy dropped off significantly and the picture looks completely washed out. It's worse if you're at 45 degrees or more. It's not a fault with this TV particularly, but a technology short comings of edge lit LEDs.

So my brief affair with this TV has been pleasant, but personally I still prefer the plasma tongue.gif

Good luck to everyone, and enjoy your units.

I cannot blame you. In a black hole viewing room, or watching off angle, a plasma is definitely a better choice for critical viewing.

I replaced a Panasonic plasma with this TV and I am very happy because it is used for casual viewing, always with lights on and often during the day, and it's big and bright and pretty accurate.

But I don't watch it from the side, and don't want it in the dark, which would be reasons I'd wish I had a plasma.

Thanks for sharing your details. At some point, I'll either get a pro in here to calibrate and/or bust out my meter, but it's been years since I dived into that, so I don't even have the latest software etc....

post #281 of 595 Old 01-20-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

You should break out your meter, it's fun and HCFR is free.

Yes. This Sharp is a great TV. Big, bright, and very accurate colors.

I am quite surprised with these new plasmas. They are plenty bright. I have 10
Recessed lights in my living room and its brightness holds up pretty well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #282 of 595 Old 01-20-2014, 04:02 PM

Liked: 11
Yes thanks for sharing. What model did you get?

Also does anyone know what the difference between thx calibration vs isf calibration is?
post #283 of 595 Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Sorry to hear that smokarz, I was enjoying the conversations regarding the TV.  But I understand where you are at.  I had a Panasonic plasma before too, and side viewing is a major downfall of LED technology in general.

What size of and model of Samsung did you purchase?  Wish I could find me an 80" plasma, but I think 65" is as big as they get.

post #284 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I got the Samsung PN60F5300. It was "Deal of the Day" on BestBuy couple days ago, couldn't really pass it up at that price point.

I am quite surprised how much brighter these new plasmas have become. Currently, I am running the slides to break in the panel then I will do calibration on it.

Yeah...I wish there was a 70" version for this plasma. It would have been nice biggrin.gif
post #285 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks Don.  I sent a report last night/early AM requesting the merge, but didn't expect it to happen this fast.  Much appreciated.  smile.gif

It has to be the newer one.  Just switched to DirecTV about 1.5 years ago.  In fact, we were one of the first Genie installs in our area, according to the installer.  

The original genie was the hr34 which was a large unit and is now replaced by the very small hr44. If you have the older hr34 you may still have the older remote. The new remote is smaller and says rc71 on the top left of the remote. In any event, thanks for responding.
post #286 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuR View Post

The original genie was the hr34 which was a large unit and is now replaced by the very small hr44. If you have the older hr34 you may still have the older remote. The new remote is smaller and says rc71 on the top left of the remote. In any event, thanks for responding.

I'm not at home right now -- but that being said...

I've looked at the number on the remote before and that sounds about right, best I can recall.  I know it is white and (to me) looks like the ones that have always been around.  But maybe they all visually look the same and only differ in features.

In regards to the Genie, the unit located in the living room is the "brains" of the operation.  It's medium to large sized.  I would guess measurements are approx 15" x 12" x 3".  The units utilized in other rooms are very small -- about the the size of an Apple TV or similar.  I think they all use the same remotes as my daughter has lost hers before and used the main living room remote when we weren't using it (satellite functions only -- other buttons were programmed for living room devices).

FWIW, the remote programming we were talking about was done on the main unit in my living room.  If you know the key code sequence to force the remote to blink the TV code back to me, I would be happy to share.  Without that key code sequence, I am forced to use the on-screen settings which just say "Sharp" which doesn't help you much.

post #287 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

You should break out your meter, it's fun and HCFR is free.

Yes. This Sharp is a great TV. Big, bright, and very accurate colors.

I am quite surprised with these new plasmas. They are plenty bright. I have 10
Recessed lights in my living room and its brightness holds up pretty well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Is the "HCFR fork" thread on AVS the best place to get a copy these days? That whole fork happened AFTER I stopped using it....

post #288 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM

Here's another image of the 'banding' (for lack of a better term).  Unfortunately I'm guessing this unit is going to have to go back to BB this weekend...

post #289 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the "HCFR fork" thread on AVS the best place to get a copy these days? That whole fork happened AFTER I stopped using it....

Yes, that's the one. I am still trying to find my way around it.

Here's the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/3030#post_24245667
post #290 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks.

post #291 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohn505 View Post

Here's another image of the 'banding' (for lack of a better term).  Unfortunately I'm guessing this unit is going to have to go back to BB this weekend...

Yeah that's crazy looking.

post #292 of 595 Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah that's crazy looking.

Agree, that is nuts.  Definitely should not be looking that way.  Swap out for a new unit.  Might be worth the trip to a different store so you don't get another one from the same batch.  Just a thought.

post #293 of 595 Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Agree, that is nuts.  Definitely should not be looking that way.  Swap out for a new unit.  Might be worth the trip to a different store so you don't get another one from the same batch.  Just a thought.

I had a similar problem. when I returned mine I looked at the shipping labels on the box to make sure I got a different batch.
post #294 of 595 Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM

Adding some information from my old thread that got merged in with this one.  

This basically explains how Sam's, Costco, etc have slightly different model numbers but are the same model.

=================

http://answers.sharpusa.com/answers/8303/product/LC70C6500U/lc70c6500u-questions-answers/questions.htm?sort=recenta

Quote:
What is the difference between the LC70C6500U and the LC-70LE650U.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the LC70LE650U and the LC70C6500U. Essentially, the two units are the same in features and specifications. The difference between these two models is the type of stores that will be selling them. The LC-70C6500U can only be purchased from club based warehouse stores. You can find technical specifications for this unit at the following link: http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models/LC70LE650U.aspx?tech_specs=1.

If you would like assistance with locating either one of these units feel free to visit our product locator page at the below links.

LC-70LE650U - http://www.sharpusa.com/Product/Locator.aspx?model=LC70LE650U

LC-70C6500U - http://www.sharpusa.com/Product/Locator.aspx?model=LC70C6500U
Top 10 Contributor
answered 7 months ago
Customer avatar
SharpAdvisor14

post #295 of 595 Old 01-23-2014, 06:33 PM

I know it doesn't matter but why put a different model number if it's the same product? Why not sell it at BB and Sams with the same model number?
post #296 of 595 Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjdmc720 View Post

I know it doesn't matter but why put a different model number if it's the same product? Why not sell it at BB and Sams with the same model number?

Supply chain management, exclusivity, etc. No need to price match ("That's a different model.") Different markets, different price points, without diluting other markets and other price points.

post #297 of 595 Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 PM

Actually, although I answered this question before, it obviously needs repeating. As much as the units appear similar, there are subtle differences. If you look at the back of the panel of both tvs..the 600u vs 650u....one will note that the latter has far more connectivity options available for a greater amount of different needs. If rca, vga in/out, optical, usb 1/2, hdmi (4) ect are needed and important than go with it. If all the extras are not needed than save some $ and go with the less frills. So....they look the same but are different.
Hope that helps.
post #298 of 595 Old 01-24-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrob View Post

Actually, although I answered this question before, it obviously needs repeating. As much as the units appear similar, there are subtle differences. If you look at the back of the panel of both tvs..the 600u vs 650u....one will note that the latter has far more connectivity options available for a greater amount of different needs. If rca, vga in/out, optical, usb 1/2, hdmi (4) ect are needed and important than go with it. If all the extras are not needed than save some $ and go with the less frills. So....they look the same but are different.
Hope that helps.

To be clear, for this specific series the correct numbers are:

LC-xxLE650U (club equivalent = LC-xx6500U)

Other Sharp models for 2013 include:

LC-xxLE857U (no club equivalent )

LC-xxLE757U (club equivalent = LCxx7500U for the 60" & 70" models, no club equiv for 80" models)

LC-xxLE755U (no club equivalent)

LC-xxLE657U (no club equivalent)

LC-xxLE655U (no club equivalent)

xx = 60, 70, 80 or 90 (not all screen sizes are available on all models)

I'm not saying a 600U doesn't exists used in your example, but based on what I'm seeing it would be in a different series (757 vs 857).  And maybe that is why you see different connections between the TV's.  I happen to have the 6500U version from Sam's.  I've discussed connections with others using the 650U standard model number.  There are no differences in connections as you point out.  

Now did they package the product differently?  Or did a different stand come with it?  Or did they use the red resistor instead of the blue resistor on the inside?  Maybe.  But there shouldn't be any noticeable major differences.

I was shopping during Black Friday season for my set.  At the time I was looking at the 70" E series, A701i-A3 to be more precise.  Around this time, both Walmart and Sam's advertised door buster sales on the A70i-A3E models ($999 and eventually $1,498), even though both carried the "other model w/o the E".  I had concerns thinking something major might have changed, so I contacted Vizio.  They told me the only difference was the packaging.  It had a plain cardboard box instead of the colored one with all the advertising.  Then I found their website for both models and compared to find the following differences:

- Screen dimensions were slightly wider 62.58" (A3E) vs 62.56" (A3).

- The A3E specs omit the screw length (10mm) and pitch (1mm) dimensions.  Doesn't mean they were different, just not reported.

- Most oddly I found the power consumption considerably different....97.7w (A3E) vs 102.33w (A3).

http://store.vizio.com/e701ia3.html

http://store.vizio.com/e701ia3e.html

Again, all this points that there may be very minor differences such as packaging, a different power cord, etc.  But nothing major will change.  I agree with nathan_h that this is more for supply chain management their need to control markets and price matching.

post #299 of 595 Old 01-24-2014, 07:56 AM

Thank you for the clarifications as I mis quoted the model # 6500U vs 650U. The former being the one found at Costco, Sam ect. I stand by my post, as I took photos of the back of both tv's and noted their individual differences. Sorry to say its not just the packaging. ICMTSU (I can't make this stuff up) .Others who have commented may not be aware of the subtle differences but it is visually appparent as the rear panels have a different configuration as well. So...similar but different.
post #300 of 595 Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The 60" is going for less than a grand at BB at the moment and for the price and screen size it's very appealing, but before I pull the trigger has anyone had experience with overdrive trailing (known as ghosting before 3D)? I tried a 640u last year and there was blue/purple-ish halos around objects that would smear in panning shots. While gaming anything like Deadspace the dark areas would smear black with the slightest movement. Any gamer seeing this on the 2013 Sharps?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , New Lc60le847u 60in Led Lcd 1080p 3d Tv 240hz Lc60le847u , Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page