post #361 of 693 Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclaryjr View Post

Greetings! I'm a veteran of the official (now deceased) Sharp DLP forum, and a JVC LCOS forum. I recently purchased an LC-70LE65OU. I'm happy with the PQ although I'm still playing with settings. The one thing that I notice coming from a big cabinet LCOS set to this thin panel, is that the native sound is abysmal. I'm using an old Bose 321 system but I'm getting inconsistent results with the optical out from the set. I was just curious if anyone has used a sound bar with this set (or equivilent), making use of the optical out?

Welcome.

I've using optical out of the TV to a receiver+speakers for things like Netflix, Youtube, etc. No problems at all with the optical out audio.

What are you experiencing?

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 693 Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Welcome.

I've using optical out of the TV to a receiver+speakers for things like Netflix, Youtube, etc. No problems at all with the optical out audio.

What are you experiencing?

Sometimes when I turn on the Bose unit, it acts as if it's not getting a signal, so I end up having to switch inputs back and forth, and it finally comes on. I just wanted to see if there were any known problems with the TV before I placed the blame on my cable or the Bose unit.

By the way, I've been following your posts on picture settings. Appreciate the sharing--I continue to tweak!
post #363 of 693 Old 02-08-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello All

I have had the 70" LE650U for the past 7 months wall mounted and have had no problems . I did a software update and after the update I now have small white dots all along the bottom of the screen, their is a string of the white dots together about an inch long . The dots are on every input and noticeable on light to white backgrounds not black backgrounds.

I performed a flip pixel overnight from the WOW DVD that didn't work.I called Costco warranty they had me do numerous resets but still no good,they put me through to Sharp Advantage ,which I was told to email them pictures (see below) from three inputs. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Any suggestions what the problem is and how to fix it ?

Has anyone had any issues after a update or is it I just didn't notice it before ?

Thanks

Thanks
post #364 of 693 Old 02-08-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rungel View Post

Hello All

I have had the 70" LE650U for the past 7 months wall mounted and have had no problems . I did a software update and after the update I now have small white dots all along the bottom of the screen, their is a string of the white dots together about an inch long . The dots are on every input and noticeable on light to white backgrounds not black backgrounds.

I performed a flip pixel overnight from the WOW DVD that didn't work.I called Costco warranty they had me do numerous resets but still no good,they put me through to Sharp Advantage ,which I was told to email them pictures (see below) from three inputs. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Any suggestions what the problem is and how to fix it ?

Has anyone had any issues after a update or is it I just didn't notice it before ?

Thanks

Thanks

That sucks! Looks a little like a lot of stuck or damaged pixels. Really weird that the software update would do that. I haven't seen that on another of these TV's before.

I hope Costco/Sharp treat you right. Two year warranty, right?

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 693 Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclaryjr View Post

Sometimes when I turn on the Bose unit, it acts as if it's not getting a signal, so I end up having to switch inputs back and forth, and it finally comes on. I just wanted to see if there were any known problems with the TV before I placed the blame on my cable or the Bose unit.

By the way, I've been following your posts on picture settings. Appreciate the sharing--I continue to tweak!

I don't think there is a known problem with the optical output. If you have a spare cable around, it's worth trying another. I assume your BOSE unit was working fine before and or with other sources? If so, let's hope it's the cable!

Build Thread:
post #366 of 693 Old 02-08-2014, 07:45 AM

I have the two year warranty plus an additional three years with Square Trade , I don't think they can fix it . Hopefully they will replace it
post #367 of 693 Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I have the two year warranty plus an additional three years with Square Trade , I don't think they can fix it . Hopefully they will replace it
Something like that is more of a physical nature (panel related) and hardly a software related issue, update or no update... Definitely just get the set replaced if you still have warranty... Good luck...
post #368 of 693 Old 02-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPC View Post

With regard to the ghosting during dark scenes, it seems to me that the only way around it is to use calibration settings that have a low backlighting level, such as Cnet's or smokarz's incomplete set.

If I use any settings that require a backlight level of +4~ or higher, the ghosting drives me mad, especially when viewing 4:3 content.

Anybody here seen fit to tweak Cnet's settings further?

I'm not sure how exactly to envision the ghosting you are describing, but it is probably rather related to your source and signal quality... Do you have the same issue with Bluray DVD's for example? Of course, any LED has it's limit when it comes to fast moving scenes and such... Also, proper settings are immensely important! But keeping backlight low is hardly a good solution. Amount of backlight should be set to give you as much light output from the panel as you would need for your viewing environment. The actual picture settings are all about setting brightness and contrast correctly. Dark elements and blacks are controlled with the brightness setting - so make sure to set that correctly, rather than lowering the backlight... I strongly recommend at least using a calibration DVD (like Disney's WOW disc), which isn't expensive and should help with these basic settings... But if you have an "unwatchable" picture with anything higher than +4 on backlight, then you may have a defect of some kind and should replace the TV... Good luck smile.gif
post #369 of 693 Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:

That sucks! Looks a little like a lot of stuck or damaged pixels. Really weird that the software update would do that. I haven't seen that on another of these TV's before.

post #370 of 693 Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't think there is a known problem with the optical output. If you have a spare cable around, it's worth trying another. I assume your BOSE unit was working fine before and or with other sources? If so, let's hope it's the cable!

Well, I haven't had a lick of trouble with it since I made that post. The only thing I noticed since is that my Apple TV passes through 5.1 while the Roku is only 2.0. I don't know that it really makes a difference with two speakers and a sub. It my wife didn't go to bed at 8pm, I might invest in a real surround system, but this will work for now. :-)
post #371 of 693 Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM

Was hoping someone could help me.....just bought this 70" and I can't seem to get rid of the lip sync issues. Weird, some channels are worse than others. Had the tv and cable box plugged into my new Sony STR-DN840 receiver at first but then I plugged in the TV directly to the cable box, eliminating the receiver. Even tried 2 different cable boxes and 2 different hdmi cables.

I have the av mode set to GAME with ZMAD's recommended settings. I'm still within my 30 day return window but I love this tv but can't figure out what to do to fix this. I have 4 other Sharp tv's with no issue at all, biggest being a 60".

Any ideas?

Update: Just got off the phone with Sharp, they had me try everything I already tried as well as a hard reset and still same issue. They want to send a tech out but like I said, I'm still within my 30 day window, am I just better off exchanging it for another one? Or is this lip sync common on this tv?
post #372 of 693 Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldglv View Post

Was hoping someone could help me.....just bought this 70" and I can't seem to get rid of the lip sync issues. Weird, some channels are worse than others. Had the tv and cable box plugged into my new Sony STR-DN840 receiver at first but then I plugged in the TV directly to the cable box, eliminating the receiver. Even tried 2 different cable boxes and 2 different hdmi cables.

I have the av mode set to GAME with ZMAD's recommended settings. I'm still within my 30 day return window but I love this tv but can't figure out what to do to fix this. I have 4 other Sharp tv's with no issue at all, biggest being a 60".

Any ideas?

Update: Just got off the phone with Sharp, they had me try everything I already tried as well as a hard reset and still same issue. They want to send a tech out but like I said, I'm still within my 30 day window, am I just better off exchanging it for another one? Or is this lip sync common on this tv?

I'd exchange it.

Build Thread:
post #373 of 693 Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 PM

Hi all! remmeber my locking  and non response of remote and tv? I just think I solved it. NO more locking or such from the remote. I did  one thing that the support guys told me but I am hoping this was really the solution and not a coincidence: Just turn off the HDMi CEc in the connection menu.   I am really happy with the tv anyway, the picture and quality of motion is good.  Lets see if I can solve the two  next problems  I have with this TV

post #374 of 693 Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Any ideas?

It's very likely that it is the cable box that is causing the issue and not the TV. I had a lip sync issue when watching blu rays on my PS3 and fixed it by changing a setting in the PS3 options. To narrow down the source of the problem try watching things from other sources. If nothing else has this issue try playing around with the settings on your cable box.
post #375 of 693 Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Got a 70" panel from Costco last weekend. So far I've been enjoying the screen until I noticed the "dirty screen effect" smear right across the center of the screen. It really is only noticeable when bright/white panning content is displayed. I've never had a panel with this before. Is there any chance this will get better over time or is it permanent?

Oh, and is there any way to label the inputs on this set?
post #376 of 693 Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post

Got a 70" panel from Costco last weekend. So far I've been enjoying the screen until I noticed the "dirty screen effect" smear right across the center of the screen. It really is only noticeable when bright/white panning content is displayed. I've never had a panel with this before. Is there any chance this will get better over time or is it permanent?

Oh, and is there any way to label the inputs on this set?

I'm not familiar with the dirty screen effect but if it's brand new I would definitely exchange it if there is any imperfection. Otherwise, you may get into a warranty issue which while better than no recourse is seldom as satisfying as a replacement, imo.

Build Thread:
post #377 of 693 Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsoul View Post

It's very likely that it is the cable box that is causing the issue and not the TV. I had a lip sync issue when watching blu rays on my PS3 and fixed it by changing a setting in the PS3 options. To narrow down the source of the problem try watching things from other sources. If nothing else has this issue try playing around with the settings on your cable box.

Playing DVD through my xbox one, I do tend to see the lip sync from time to time as well. Weird, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Would this be an issue with the TV itself then? I am eventually going to hook this up to a Sony STR-DN840 receiver, would I be able to tweak the settings in the receiver to fix the lip sync issues? Just like other posts I read, worst lip sync issues with Comcast are with AMC HD and Disney HD so this is making me think it is the cable box.

But, I have 3 other tv's in the house hooked up to the same X1 box and no issues. One is running through an Onkyo receiver, the other two are hooked up directly to older LCD (non LED) tv's with no issue at all on any channel.

One other thing I noticed the other night was after I was done playing xbox one, I switched over from GAME to SAT/CATV and the entire screen had a dark green tint to it. Tried changing channels but same green tint on all channels. Only thing that resolved the issue was rebooting the X1 cable box. So this is another thing where I don't know if it's the TV, cable box or receiver causing the issue.

I've also been reading about tons of issue with the xbox one blu ray player having lip sync issues.....so I'm not sure if I return the TV or not? Other than the lip sync, TV is great, wouldn't want to return it and get one with a dead pixel or something.
post #378 of 693 Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Playing DVD through my xbox one, I do tend to see the lip sync from time to time as well. Weird, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Would this be an issue with the TV itself then? I am eventually going to hook this up to a Sony STR-DN840 receiver, would I be able to tweak the settings in the receiver to fix the lip sync issues? Just like other posts I read, worst lip sync issues with Comcast are with AMC HD and Disney HD so this is making me think it is the cable box.

But, I have 3 other tv's in the house hooked up to the same X1 box and no issues. One is running through an Onkyo receiver, the other two are hooked up directly to older LCD (non LED) tv's with no issue at all on any channel.

One other thing I noticed the other night was after I was done playing xbox one, I switched over from GAME to SAT/CATV and the entire screen had a dark green tint to it. Tried changing channels but same green tint on all channels. Only thing that resolved the issue was rebooting the X1 cable box. So this is another thing where I don't know if it's the TV, cable box or receiver causing the issue.

I've also been reading about tons of issue with the xbox one blu ray player having lip sync issues.....so I'm not sure if I return the TV or not? Other than the lip sync, TV is great, wouldn't want to return it and get one with a dead pixel or something.

With multiple components involved (TV, receiver, Xbox) it can be difficult to narrow down the source of issues like this. It may be more than 1 of them contributing to the problem. Since I've seen multiple people complain about lip sync issues while using this set, and I've experienced them as well, I think the TV itself contributes to the issue. Possibly the TV has some sort of lag. Turning off the 24hz setting on the PS3 fixes the issue so you should check if the Xbox has that option.

I don't know the features of your receiver specifically but many offer options to help lip sync and an option to delay audio in milliseconds to match it up with video manually. I know my Denon 1912 does this.

I'd also try using different HDMI ports on the TV and receiver. Not likely to fix anything but worth a shot.

Regarding the green tint issue that sounds like it would be an Xbox issue. That's still a very new device and is going to be buggy for a while. They use early buyers like yourself as beta testers basically and fix these issues with updates.
post #379 of 693 Old 02-16-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Sharp Advantage will be replacing the TV with a refurbished one .

Has anyone had any experience with refurbished Sharp TV's ?
post #380 of 693 Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sharp Advantage will be replacing the TV with a refurbished one .

Has anyone had any experience with refurbished Sharp TV's ?

Wow, why a refurb? Did you buy a refurb originally or a brand new set? If it was brand new, and it was still covered under warranty, I would not accept a refurb! Warranty on a new TV should normally mean "fix my new TV, or replace it with another new TV, but don't give me a used TV someone else found a reason to return...". Now, that doesn't mean that a refurb is necessarily "bad". Someone may have tried it and decided to buy a bigger screen or something, so they returned a perfectly good TV. But then again, maybe there was something that "bugged" them and they returned it for that reason (like bad screen uniformity, or some similar reason). Bottom line, you are getting a used TV that someone returned and you don't know what was or wasn't wrong with it. It's a bit of a toss of the coin... So as a matter of principle, I would demand a new TV, provided you bought a new set in the first place... Anyway, whatever ends up the case, good luck and I hope your replacement works out for you...
post #381 of 693 Old 02-16-2014, 06:27 PM

Nathan any updates on your calibration settings? Do you use movie mode for anything? Can't seem to get rid of soap opera effect on that mode.
post #382 of 693 Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theride66 View Post

Nathan any updates on your calibration settings? Do you use movie mode for anything? Can't seem to get rid of soap opera effect on that mode.
I am using game mode because it seems to have the least video processing therefore making it unlikely to introduce any soap opera effect.

I have not had a chance yet to revisit the gamma nor the CMS but I promise I will post it when I do.

Build Thread:
post #383 of 693 Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As mentioned in the past, soap opera effect (SOE) cannot be completely eliminated on this set... The only mode without SOE is the game mode - this mode simply uses no artificial motion enhancement at all, hence no SOE at all (nothing to turn on or off). Every other mode will show traces of SOE even if you turn off film mode and motion enhancement. Nothing you can do about it but use game mode instead... Btw, if you are really eager to get the most from your TV, you should consider getting it calibrated... If you were in Socal I'd stop by and do it for you, lol Nothing like a well calibrated set biggrin.gif
post #384 of 693 Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

As mentioned in the past, soap opera effect (SOE) cannot be completely eliminated on this set... The only mode without SOE is the game mode - this mode simply uses no artificial motion enhancement at all, hence no SOE at all (nothing to turn on or off). Every other mode will show traces of SOE even if you turn off film mode and motion enhancement. Nothing you can do about it but use game mode instead... Btw, if you are really eager to get the most from your TV, you should consider getting it calibrated... If you were in Socal I'd stop by and do it for you, lol Nothing like a well calibrated set biggrin.gif

What's your rate? I'm in Bakersfield and just picked up a 70le650. I'm using your gaming mode settings and I'm quiet happy with the pic! I watched oblivion tonight with the backlight at -8, blacks looked surprisingly good for an LCD!
post #385 of 693 Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Zmad if I hire a calibrator should I calibrate on movie mode or game? Right now I use game for everything as I hate SOE.
post #386 of 693 Old 02-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post

What's your rate? I'm in Bakersfield and just picked up a 70le650. I'm using your gaming mode settings and I'm quiet happy with the pic! I watched oblivion tonight with the backlight at -8, blacks looked surprisingly good for an LCD!

Sorry man, Bakersfield is a little far for me - I would have done it for free (or a beer would do it, lol) just cuz I'm interested to see the 650U calibrated, and to see if I notice any difference to 640U...
post #387 of 693 Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Zmad if I hire a calibrator should I calibrate on movie mode or game? Right now I use game for everything as I hate SOE.

Well, I'd say if you are paying to get one mode calibrated, then I'd go with the game mode for the exact reason you mentioned - hate the SOE in every other mode. Otherwise, if you have the option to get a second mode calibrated as well (which is practically a second calibration since each mode has to be calibrated separately) then you could add the movie mode to it, and only for the case you see a reason to turn on motion smoother for any particular content... Otherwise, game mode is the way to go on these sets...
post #388 of 693 Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsoul View Post

With multiple components involved (TV, receiver, Xbox) it can be difficult to narrow down the source of issues like this. It may be more than 1 of them contributing to the problem. Since I've seen multiple people complain about lip sync issues while using this set, and I've experienced them as well, I think the TV itself contributes to the issue. Possibly the TV has some sort of lag. Turning off the 24hz setting on the PS3 fixes the issue so you should check if the Xbox has that option.

I don't know the features of your receiver specifically but many offer options to help lip sync and an option to delay audio in milliseconds to match it up with video manually. I know my Denon 1912 does this.

I'd also try using different HDMI ports on the TV and receiver. Not likely to fix anything but worth a shot.

Regarding the green tint issue that sounds like it would be an Xbox issue. That's still a very new device and is going to be buggy for a while. They use early buyers like yourself as beta testers basically and fix these issues with updates.

Ok, so it appears it's the cable box, not the tv. Xbox blu ray player plays fine, no lip sync issues. I may try and switch out the cable box. Only other thing that is confusing me is we have three other cable boxes in the house (same model) and no lip sync issues on those tv's.

One other concern, have been playing COD Ghosts on the xbox one and everything has been moving very fluid and clean. A friend was over and we played split screen and there was noticeable lag, is this normal for a 70" screen? I know the input lag on this set isn't great but I didn't think I'd see so much lag playing split screen. Any ideas?
post #389 of 693 Old 02-18-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Were you in Game mode?

The set has no way of knowing you were in split screen mode and the lag should be the same (at the set).

Build Thread:
post #390 of 693 Old 02-18-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Were you in Game mode?

The set has no way of knowing you were in split screen mode and the lag should be the same (at the set).

Yes, I am in game mode, I leave the set on game mode at all times even when watching regular TV. I was just wondering was there too much going on for the TV to handle processing while in split screen?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , New Lc60le847u 60in Led Lcd 1080p 3d Tv 240hz Lc60le847u , Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 60le650u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page