post #571 of 718 Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash78 View Post
Has anyone had problems connecting this TV via Wifi? I really would like to use some of the apps, but I just cannot get it to connect.

I can't use WPS with my router (ActionTec router, supplied by Verizon for Fios). The TV does see my SSID, and generally shows 2 bars out of 5 (which is odd - the router isn't THAT far from the TV). However, when I choose my network and enter the password (which I'm sure is correct - I've tried this about 8 times), it always fails to connect. I have a PS3 right under the TV (inside a cabinet, even) that uses Wifi without any issue. Help?!
You have to change the protocol that the router uses to connect.
Verizon/Fios can do that for you remotely and then you input it
on the TV. "Security key AIP-type"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 718 Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeabass View Post
Thought I'd post this in the Official thread as my own thread is getting no visibilty, and I am desperate for any help to solve the issue I am having surrounding this TV. Reposted below:

Hey guys, got a headscratcher for you (or at least for me).  In a nutshell, got a new TV that is having problems receiving audio/video/both from some of my current equipment.

To start out, I used to own a 50" Panasonic Viera TC-P50S2 plasma TV.  By used to, I mean that I returned from a business trip last week to find my TV completely and utterly dead.  No capacitor whine, no blinking lights, no response whatsoever.  Right now I have the back panel off as I am looking to see if there are any blown fuses or other obvious signs of repairable damage, but for all intents and purposes it appears to be gone.  I suspect that the cause could have been a lightning strike as there was some severe storm activity while I was gone but no other equipment (I'll get to that part) on the same powerstrip appears damaged.  With no other option, I went and purchased a 60" Sharp Aquos LC-60LE650U LED unit as i managed to take advantage of some local sales/incentives, and it was a now-or-never kind of situation for getting a new unit.

However, as soon as I got back home and plugged everything in, there were a few problems.  Almost all of the peripherals I hooked in did not work as expected.  I checked all the connections, made sure the power/settings were OK on the TV, but nothing seemed to work.  I even went and bought (and then immediately returned) a similar but smaller TV to test the I/O on the equipment, thinking that there was a problem with the TV.  Turns out the issues on the Sharp were replicated on the smaller unit, so it looked like that the issue does not lie with the TV.  I also connected a laptop I had sitting around with HDMI and got picture/sound on the TV with no issue. After doing a lot more research and playing with additional settings, I have hit a standstill to make everything work again.  So here is the setup on my TV as it stands, along with any and all issues I still encounter.

There are four HDMI inputs, and all are being used, so I'll go in order of connection.

HDMI 1 (with ARC) - Sony BDV-E390 Home Theater System
Current issues: No video

Comments:  If I completely power off the BluRay player, as in unplug it and not just hit the power button, it will display the BluRay logo loading screen, but then will no longer display video.  The audio still seems to work, as I can connect the TV via optical to the system and still get full sound.  Also, I can put in a disc and hear it, but still not see it.  The Aquos link is active on the system, so turning off the TV will also turn off the BluRay, and also adjusting the volume on the player will show the tv volume being altered.  There was also no video when plugged via HDMI into the smaller tv and a spare PC monitor (albeit a HDMI-to-DVI cable). So it looks like there is no issue at all with the audio, but just the video.  Any activity with the system I am doing blind, and the functions/operations are being performed by pressing buttons on the front of the receiver or with 'master' function buttons on the remote.

HDMI 2 - Xbox 360
Current issues - No audio when Display Discovery is enabled

Comments: Upon connecting the Xbox back up, I got video, but no audio.  Also, the boot time was substantially longer than before, roughly several minutes.  Checking online, I found out that when plugged into some TVs, there is no audio over HDMI when the Display Discovery mode is set to Auto (there is a video that explains this issue/correction here ).  Disabling it and setting the video/audio output settings manually resolved this problem.  Not sure if this helps point to a setting on the TV that is causing the other device to fail, but I wanted to point it out.

HDMI 3 - Google Chromecast
Current issues - Unable to be powered via HDMI only

Comments: This is the only device that *almost* worked on the first try.  I get full video/audio without a problem, no connection issues and no settings had to be set beforehand.  It was a literal plug-and-play.  Of note however; this was the only device that was not plugged in to the old TV when it died, which made me suspect that the others were damaged via their HDMI connections to the now dead plasma.  As for the sole problem; the Chromecast is 1.4 spec, and so is the TV.  According to both parties, it is supposed to be powered by the HDMI port and wouldnt need the external USB powersource.  Unfortunately, I have not found a way for it to work without the USB cable plugged in.  Again, there might be a TV system setting preventing it to be powered by HDMI alone.

HDMI 4 - Comcast Xfinity PR150BNM Digital HD receiver
Current issues - No video, no audio

Comments: No output with HDMI at all.  I can connect the cable box to the TV with the Component connection to get video, and connect the box directly to the BluRay with the optical to get audio.  So it *works* but now with the HDMI connection.  No amount of powercycling or getting the cable company to send a 'refresh' signal has caused it to change.  This is not as important a device to troubleshoot as I can always request a new one from Comcast to replace the (assumed defective) device.

So this is how everything stands, and any and all help on getting everything to connect with HDMI only and all the I/O gremlins iron out would be awesome.  I hope the links for the device are sufficient; I can add more info as needed.  Thanks!

* also, if someone knows off the top of their head how to fix a dead Viera unit...

It sounds like some of the other gear may be damaged, but for the Chromecast, it CANNOT get power from ANY HDMI port. It MUST be plugged into USB as well.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #573 of 718 Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
It sounds like some of the other gear may be damaged, but for the Chromecast, it CANNOT get power from ANY HDMI port. It MUST be plugged into USB as well.
Yeah the Chromecast USB thing was a false memory of seeing it advertised as not requiring one for 1.4, but it does not support it. However, any suggestions about the other stuff? Just saying it 'may be damaged' doesn't exactly help me :/
post #574 of 718 Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeabass View Post
Yeah the Chromecast USB thing was a false memory of seeing it advertised as not requiring one for 1.4, but it does not support it. However, any suggestions about the other stuff? Just saying it 'may be damaged' doesn't exactly help me :/
Sorry I mean it looks like all your gear got scrambled, perhaps by a power surge, if if it acting wrong even on another tv. That sucks big time.
post #575 of 718 Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by nwin 

Welp, I called Sharp and they said normally what happens is if it's within the year warranty, they'll take care of it, but outside of the year, they just direct me to call the nearest service center and they will help me.  They will also charge because it's out of warranty.  I told her that was pretty ridiculous since it's only a month out of warranty, so she's e-mailing me some information where I guess I take some pictures of the damage and send it to them, then they will either tell me if they're taking care of it or if I'm screwed.

Please share all of your experience with Sharp. I'm for one, very interested. I assume this will tell you if you WILL EVER buy any other Sharp products for the rest of your life and possibly all you tell of your experience. It could be great it could be very sad for Sharp.

Me personally I'm on the fence. Sharp left a very sour taste in my mouth with how they handled a missing screw in my stand. When the delivery guy showed that a screw was missing I was disheartened. But, it turned out to be one of the four rear screws. If it was one of the underside screws I would have had to refuse the delivery as there would be no way I could do it on my own. The rear one, I could. I was still nervous with a 25% reduction in rigidity and having to move the TV to get at the screw to mount it. That's a lot of flex on the screen. Well when I called Sharp to get the screw it took about 4 calls over the course of a month with some hoop jumping and faxing to get ONE SCREW. They really know how to make a customer happy. So I really am interested and now you know my love of Sharp. Great picture thanks to Z-Mad's calibration but a lot of early aggravation too. Now you have a major failure a month out of warranty? Wasn't it extended when you registered it online or was that a different product?

So here's an update of my experience with Sharp-it's been absolutely amazing! They asked for a few pictures of the damage and a picture of the receipt...then a few days later they said they would be sending out a refurbished TV of the same model and would pick up my damaged one at no charge to me!

If you recall, I am in the process of moving and told them my stuff is currently in a truck and won't get to my new residence until late June, and they had zero problem with this. In fact, they were out of stock of the refurbished tv so they couldn't do anything anyways.

They have been calling me every 2-3 days just to give me a status update, even if their is no update, which is really quite reassuring. Just today they called saying that they had an update, so I called them back, and apparently they have decided to offer me an upgrade to due inventory/stock problems with the other model (I don't know if they just aren't getting them or if it's going to take too long to get it). Anyways, they are giving me the following tv:

Sharp LC-60LE757U 60-Inch Aquos Quattron 1080p 240Hz Smart LED 3D HDTV (2013 Model)

I haven't done any digging on it yet, but he told me it was the same tv but with 3D and Quattron display?

Regardless, they have been fantastic and I will keep this thread up to date once I get the actual TV.
post #576 of 718 Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwin View Post
So here's an update of my experience with Sharp-it's been absolutely amazing! They asked for a few pictures of the damage and a picture of the receipt...then a few days later they said they would be sending out a refurbished TV of the same model and would pick up my damaged one at no charge to me!

If you recall, I am in the process of moving and told them my stuff is currently in a truck and won't get to my new residence until late June, and they had zero problem with this. In fact, they were out of stock of the refurbished tv so they couldn't do anything anyways.

They have been calling me every 2-3 days just to give me a status update, even if their is no update, which is really quite reassuring. Just today they called saying that they had an update, so I called them back, and apparently they have decided to offer me an upgrade to due inventory/stock problems with the other model (I don't know if they just aren't getting them or if it's going to take too long to get it). Anyways, they are giving me the following tv:

Sharp LC-60LE757U 60-Inch Aquos Quattron 1080p 240Hz Smart LED 3D HDTV (2013 Model)

I haven't done any digging on it yet, but he told me it was the same tv but with 3D and Quattron display?

Regardless, they have been fantastic and I will keep this thread up to date once I get the actual TV.
I've had similar good relations with Sharp.
I had an intermittent problem right from the start with a 2 year old 70LE845U.
It would periodically re-boot and be normal again, sometimes for months.
When it first happened, it was under warranty, but I didn't want a refurbished
replacement and didn't relish the thought of my new TV getting torn apart for
a repair. I was told that since I reported it under warranty, it would be honored
later, if the problem got worse or if I was willing to risk a repair/replacement.
After 4 service calls and 3 replaced major parts, the TV still acted up occasionally.
They finally sent out a refurbished set that would not power on when it arrived.
Months passed and my TV worked most of the time, so I wasn't too worried.
Finally, they said they would replace it with the top-of-the-line 70UQ17U as soon
as they found one. Yesterday, I got the new set! I love it so far, though I will
have months of tinkering to get it looking the way I want it. Still, it is an upgrade
and I am grateful that they kept their obligation and customer commitment.
I will be a Sharp customer for life!
post #577 of 718 Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwin View Post

This is more than excellent news. That is what a company should do to keep the customer happy. It makes me feel a bit better about getting "screwed" over a screw. Maybe they'll replace the whole set next time a screw is missing... Good luck with the new set!

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #578 of 718 Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anyone using a DLNA media server to sream videos to the Sharp?

I was using Windows Media Player on Windows7 and it was working alright. I've since upgraded to Windows 8 (yeah I know, what was I thinking), and some types of videos do not show up. In addition, I can no longer use the Pause/REW/FWD functionality on the remote.

I've tried Serviio and Plex and there are also issues with empty folders, unrecognized files and inability to play the file when I see them.

So my question for you all is, Are any of you using a DLNA media server and which one are you using? Any issues?
post #579 of 718 Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkoku View Post
anyone using a DLNA media server to sream videos to the Sharp?

I was using Windows Media Player on Windows7 and it was working alright. I've since upgraded to Windows 8 (yeah I know, what was I thinking), and some types of videos do not show up. In addition, I can no longer use the Pause/REW/FWD functionality on the remote.

I've tried Serviio and Plex and there are also issues with empty folders, unrecognized files and inability to play the file when I see them.

So my question for you all is, Are any of you using a DLNA media server and which one are you using? Any issues?
I would double check you library for DLNA. I know with my Win7 box I had to add the folder in Windows Media player and some times remove them then add again for DLNA devices to see all the folders/videos. I quick test would be to download skifta for your smartphone. If it doesn't see the folders etc then it isn't setup right for DLNA sharing.
post #580 of 718 Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post
I would double check you library for DLNA. I know with my Win7 box I had to add the folder in Windows Media player and some times remove them then add again for DLNA devices to see all the folders/videos. I quick test would be to download skifta for your smartphone. If it doesn't see the folders etc then it isn't setup right for DLNA sharing.

I think it had to do with file type. mp4s show up fine but not avi. But with the mp4s, I was able to use pause/fwd/rev on win7 and am not able to on win8. For some reason, win8 is not sending to the tv the video length.
post #581 of 718 Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 PM

Liked: 0
Hello all...

We own a lc 80le650u and after reading this entire thread I've learned a lot...but I'm wondering if there is any way to confirm what firmware/software the TV is running? I've looked everywhere in the menu and can't find it.

A google search came up with an updated firmware at the sharp website... But my TV is set to auto update and I have no idea if it has ever updated in the last 9months we've owned it.

Don't have any serious problems but the smart features are buggy and on a handful of occasions the TV has frozen using the Netflix app requiring the TV to be unplugged... Thinking there might be a software update that could help.

Thanxs
post #582 of 718 Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, I called up Sharp's service center today to address my Dirty Screen Effect and white dot issues, and so far the experience has been quite the exercise in patience.

First I had to endure the agent's thick Indian accent, while he had me perform a series of powering-off / unplugging / holding down buttons on the side of the TV in order to run diagnostics and (unfortunately) reset all settings on my TV to its factory defaults.

Then he e-mailed me a pdf letter asking for me to include a photocopy or e-copy of the original receipt, and to take pictures of the following:
  • Take one full screen picture of the issue from a normal viewing distance.
  • Take one close-up picture of the issue.
  • Press the "Menu" button on the remote control and take a full screen picture with the Menu displayed.
  • Press the "Display" button on the remote control and take a full screen picture of the on-screen display.
  • Take one picture of the model & serial number sticker located on the back side of the unit.

So I took all the pictures and even a couple of short videos, but it was hard to get the DSE to show up. I ended up using a special test pattern to help bring out the effect:
Albeit even then the effect didn't show up on the pictures & video very well.

So now I'll cross my fingers and hope that they deem it necessary to send out a tech. And then hopefully he'll see the effect well enough first-hand to warrant a replacement screen. I'll keep you informed... wish me luck!

Visor
post #583 of 718 Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodB0Y View Post
Hello all...

We own a lc 80le650u and after reading this entire thread I've learned a lot...but I'm wondering if there is any way to confirm what firmware/software the TV is running? I've looked everywhere in the menu and can't find it.

A google search came up with an updated firmware at the sharp website... But my TV is set to auto update and I have no idea if it has ever updated in the last 9months we've owned it.

Don't have any serious problems but the smart features are buggy and on a handful of occasions the TV has frozen using the Netflix app requiring the TV to be unplugged... Thinking there might be a software update that could help.

Thanxs

bump
post #584 of 718 Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
bump
Why not just try to do a manual update ... if software is current it will tell you.
joe221 likes this.
post #585 of 718 Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post
Why not just try to do a manual update ... if software is current it will tell you.
I guess that's what I will do...

Just wish there is a way to confirm what firmware is installed... Seems silly that I either can't find it or its not available to view.

Thanxs
post #586 of 718 Old 07-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I guess that's what I will do...

Just wish there is a way to confirm what firmware is installed... Seems silly that I either can't find it or its not available to view.

Thanxs
Hit the menu button, go to information, then identification. The number that shows up is the firmware ver. you have.
post #587 of 718 Old 07-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Hair View Post
Hit the menu button, go to information, then identification. The number that shows up is the firmware ver. you have.
Thank you!
post #588 of 718 Old 07-20-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys. New owner of a 70LC-LE650U. Pretty happy with it so far, especially seeing as I don't normally watch hockey.

I want to get surround audio from Netflix to my AV receiver. Do I just hook up a TOSLink cable from the digital audio output to my receiver?
post #589 of 718 Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM

I have a 70le650u that started getting the white spots on the screen. I called sharp, they had me send a few pics of the problem. A few days later I received a call from sharp telling me they are going to replace my set with a refurbished set. I'm fine with that, as long as the issue with the white spots are gone. Today I received a e-mail from sharp telling me that my replacement is being shipped out today. The replacement set is a LC70EQ10U. So when I receive it,I'll post an update.
post #590 of 718 Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a 70le650u that started getting the white spots on the screen. I called sharp, they had me send a few pics of the problem. A few days later I received a call from sharp telling me they are going to replace my set with a refurbished set. I'm fine with that, as long as the issue with the white spots are gone. Today I received a e-mail from sharp telling me that my replacement is being shipped out today. The replacement set is a LC70EQ10U. So when I receive it,I'll post an update.
Please do. Was your set still under warranty?

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #591 of 718 Old 07-22-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Please do. Was your set still under warranty?
yes, my warranty is up on 8/17/2014
post #592 of 718 Old 07-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHelpful View Post
Hey guys. New owner of a 70LC-LE650U. Pretty happy with it so far, especially seeing as I don't normally watch hockey.

I want to get surround audio from Netflix to my AV receiver. Do I just hook up a TOSLink cable from the digital audio output to my receiver?
that will work, I use the HDMI on port one. It has ARC (Audio Return Channel) if your receiver supports it. I believe my Yamaha receiver had it disabled by default.
post #593 of 718 Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHelpful View Post

Quote:
that will work, I use the HDMI on port one. It has ARC (Audio Return Channel) if your receiver supports it. I believe my Yamaha receiver had it disabled by default.
I have a new LC-70LE650U as well and I'm having the same issue with Netflix only playing in Stereo.

I have a Pioneer VSX-1123-k AV Receiver. HDMI cable runs from HDMI port 1 on the TV (ARC) to the Output 1 port on the AV Receiver. Receiver is ARC capable and it's been enabled, as is the TV.

When I use the Netflix app from Smart Central, all audio is output in stereo, even shows that have 5.1 audio. When I'm watching TV or playing Xbox One, I'm getting 5.1/7.2 output without issue. So is this a limitation of the TV, Netflix App, or AV receiver?
post #594 of 718 Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRSX View Post
I have a new LC-70LE650U as well and I'm having the same issue with Netflix only playing in Stereo.

I have a Pioneer VSX-1123-k AV Receiver. HDMI cable runs from HDMI port 1 on the TV (ARC) to the Output 1 port on the AV Receiver. Receiver is ARC capable and it's been enabled, as is the TV.

When I use the Netflix app from Smart Central, all audio is output in stereo, even shows that have 5.1 audio. When I'm watching TV or playing Xbox One, I'm getting 5.1/7.2 output without issue. So is this a limitation of the TV, Netflix App, or AV receiver?
I just checked my setup, I had the receiver set to standard surround sound. I set it to straight and my netflex only does Stereo as well. I guest maybe it's a limit of the tv, Sorry for the bad info.
post #595 of 718 Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Calibrate lc-70le655u please help me z-mad

Hello zmad,

I have been using your settings for the 650. Most of it looks good, except some scenes are super red and green. I'm a novice with calibrating, do you have any suggestion to get the tv more natural?
post #596 of 718 Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just bought the 70 a few ago and the tv has a great picture but I noticing it does buzz quite loud when on, I can't here it when the volume is up but still, if it's louder then a PC or console, that means off to me.
Also I'm having audio/video sync problems with my onkyo receiver that I've never had before. I believe the audio is faster then the video, maybe a quarter or less of a second. Turning the tv mode to gaming seems to fix it but that mode introduces that fast motion effect that I do not like and can't be turned off. I've tried messing with my receivers tools to sync audio but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice?
My blu ray player is hooked into the receiver and then that to the tv, everything is hdmi so it's a pretty simple set up.
post #597 of 718 Old 07-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Im looking at getting a sharp lc-60le650u today, after reading about all the problems here I'm not so sure.
post #598 of 718 Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
Im looking at getting a sharp lc-60le650u today, after reading about all the problems here I'm not so sure.
you would be hard pressed to join any thread on TV and NOT find complaints about a set. The 1000s of satisfied users don't post. I've had the 70 inch version for a few months with no problems.
post #599 of 718 Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclaryjr View Post
you would be hard pressed to join any thread on TV and NOT find complaints about a set. The 1000s of satisfied users don't post. I've had the 70 inch version for a few months with no problems.
Well I took the leap and bought it. When I first turned it on I wanted to take it back it looked that bad. After about an hour of tweaking I was blown away how good it looks. I prefer the user preset with all the motion crap turned off. Heres a photo of the color, which I think could use a little more tweaking but appears very accurate out of the box. I think I'm going to go back and buy the 5 year protection play from best buy today.

Denon 4520CI on order - Polk 9.3 w/ wides
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
DIY sealed 15" x2 sub build almost started
post #600 of 718 Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, I have the white dots forming all over the bottom of the tv. Time to call customer service to see what they are going to do. Those that have got replacements, have you been satisfied with what they replaced with?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , New Lc60le847u 60in Led Lcd 1080p 3d Tv 240hz Lc60le847u , Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page