Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Hair View Post
that will work, I use the HDMI on port one. It has ARC (Audio Return Channel) if your receiver supports it. I believe my Yamaha receiver had it disabled by default.
Sweet, totally forgot about that feature. I ordered a TOSLink cable anyway (before I read this post). Oh well.

It is working properly now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I just purchased the 80LE650U after a great sale on Frys that Amazon PM'd. I received my TV over the weekend. I noticed that there is a lot of clouding or DSE as I have seen it referred in this thread. Its more pronounced during the start up screen saying "Sharp" or totally dark scenes. I know this is normal with edge lit LED screens.

What I want to know is what is acceptable clouding?
I see people refer to white spots? is that the same as clouding?

Attached are links to picture of the clouding issue that I am referring to which I felt was excessive but would like others to give their feedback.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...p80/photo3.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...p80/photo2.jpg
Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 102
No, if you can see something clearly enough that should not be there but that you are able to photograph, I cannot imagine that would be acceptable.

White dots are literally pinhole size bright white dots. Clouding is large, several inch blobs and paler lightening. Very different.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Old 07-28-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Update on my Replacement LCD

Today I received my LC-70EQ10U, about 5hrs ago and I'm very happy with the set so far. It was new in the box, and not a refurbished set like I was told, so that's a big plus to me. The Picture out of box was washed out. The only things I've done so far was set the temp to Mid-low, and moved the color to +15 out of 30 on the user setting. On the old set LE650 I had the color set to -5 or the colors would get over driven, mainly the reds. The off set angle seems better than the old set, still gets washed out just not near as bad, maybe that's because it has double the contrast ratio. When it gets darker out I'll be able to see how bad the clouding is, if any. I'll update on this later. Well it has some clouding on the right side, a bit more than the old set. I don't watch tv in the dark, so I can live with it. All and all, I'm happy with Sharp and there Customer Service. I did end up going to the sharp web site and reg my old set and bought a 3yr. warranty after I noticed the white spot issue.
joe221 likes this.

Last edited by Long Hair; 07-28-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: to add more info.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Today I received my LC-70EQ10U, about 5hrs ago and I'm very happy with the set so far. It was new in the box, and not a refurbished set like I was told, so that's a big plus to me. The Picture out of box was washed out. The only things I've done so far was set the temp to Mid-low, and moved the color to +15 out of 30 on the user setting. On the old set LE650 I had the color set to -5 or the colors would get over driven, mainly the reds. The off set angle seems better than the old set, still gets washed out just not near as bad, maybe that's because it has double the contrast ratio. When it gets darker out I'll be able to see how bad the clouding is, if any. I'll update on this later.

I wonder if I'll have the same experience as you. I noticed the dots yesterday and called the Costco Concierge and opened a ticket but Sharp customer service was closed. Never had time to call back today, will get to it tomorrow. It's a real shame because except for the dots I've been very happy with this tv - it has a pretty clean even screen. Hope your new set works out!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post
I wonder if I'll have the same experience as you. I noticed the dots yesterday and called the Costco Concierge and opened a ticket but Sharp customer service was closed. Never had time to call back today, will get to it tomorrow. It's a real shame because except for the dots I've been very happy with this tv - it has a pretty clean even screen. Hope your new set works out!
Like you, I was happy with my old set. For the price, I thought this tv had a very good pic. Good luck
Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
No, if you can see something clearly enough that should not be there but that you are able to photograph, I cannot imagine that would be acceptable.

White dots are literally pinhole size bright white dots. Clouding is large, several inch blobs and paler lightening. Very different.
So I guess I have to Ask Amazon for a replacement. Is there any way to guarantee a better panel? Like from serial # or manufacture date? mine is May 2014.

Also any test I can run as soon as TV is delivered to know if its good or return it right away?

Appreciate help input.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealaddict View Post
So I guess I have to Ask Amazon for a replacement. Is there any way to guarantee a better panel? Like from serial # or manufacture date? mine is May 2014.

Also any test I can run as soon as TV is delivered to know if its good or return it right away?

Appreciate help input.
Sorry I really don't know of there being any bad batch.

For test patterns, that's tough. What did you watch to see it appear this time?

There is a DVD of test patterns some people use to age the phosphors in a new plasma, made by some avs folks I think, that might be useful I guess.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Sorry I really don't know of there being any bad batch.

For test patterns, that's tough. What did you watch to see it appear this time?

There is a DVD of test patterns some people use to age the phosphors in a new plasma, made by some avs folks I think, that might be useful I guess.
This one just appeared on the start up screen. Wasnt obvious during the day but when I turned it on at night in dark room, It was obvious.

Would Sharp provide any support on this issue under warranty?

Also any suggestions on a movie to watch that would tell me if the cloudiness impacts the experience? I assume something like a dark knight has a lots of dark scenes or anything since then that experts use to determine the quality of the screen?

Last edited by dealaddict; 07-30-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thinking about buying a LC-60LE650U with a cracked screen. Anybody know where I can buy a replacement screen?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealaddict View Post
This one just appeared on the start up screen. Wasnt obvious during the day but when I turned it on at night in dark room, It was obvious.

Would Sharp provide any support on this issue under warranty?

Also any suggestions on a movie to watch that would tell me if the cloudiness impacts the experience? I assume something like a dark knight has a lots of dark scenes or anything since then that experts use to determine the quality of the screen?
Best to call Sharp about warranty service. They will want photos.

For testing, I am told that "The Descent" is a reach good test of dark scene capability. "The Dark Knight" is less ideal because specular highlights will make stuff look better. But if you are not seeing it after several days of watching material, that's a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBradey View Post
Thinking about buying a LC-60LE650U with a cracked screen. Anybody know where I can buy a replacement screen?
From Sharp. But I cannot imagine its cheaper than just buying a new TV.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I'd probably raise the green and red a bit to follow the blue curve. Blue is the defining one for your gamma on this set, since it cannot be lowered any further, so what I do is follow the blue curve with red and green so the grayscale is accurate and gamma comes out as good as it will get in game mode. Hope this helps...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeReg View Post
I wish mine looked this good. I re-visted my calibration because I am seeing a lot of green in dark shadows. This is what I'm dealing with:

Anything I do to raise blue on the low end obviously makes the already overly blue 20%-50% area worse. I've tried endless combinations of color temp, another mode with the 10-point calibration (which is worthless by the way), etc..but I feel like this is just something I'm stuck with. Any opinions?
My above reply was to this post
Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, I tried that but I didn't really get anywhere. I will try it again when I have some time to dedicate to it.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Just to update I finally heard back from Sharp today on my white dot issue. It took over a week for them to review my case but they are going to replace it with a refurb of the same model. They did verify I'll be able to inspect it thoroughly before I accept it so hopefully I'll get a set with an even screen like the one I have now. Damned dots....
nathan_h likes this.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just to update I finally heard back from Sharp today on my white dot issue. It took over a week for them to review my case but they are going to replace it with a refurb of the same model. They did verify I'll be able to inspect it thoroughly before I accept it so hopefully I'll get a set with an even screen like the one I have now. Damned dots....
Good luck, I hope it works out for you...
I just can't help but wonder, what is it with Sharp and their refurbs? It is their answer to everything: if you have any problem with your TV, their solution is to send you a refurb, i.e. another set someone was unhappy with and returned it... If it is sort of a courtesy for a TV out of warranty, I can understand. But I believe even people whose TV's were still under warranty ended up getting refurbs in most cases - am I right??? I'm glad I got my extended warranty at Best Buy and wouldn't have to deal with that if I ever had a problem with my set...
Old 08-09-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A refurb is not something that was returned and just reboxed.

A refurb has been inspected, returned to factory specs with whatever repairs and adjustments were required and any blemishes on the exterior have been refinished.

In my estimation a refurb is at least as good as new out of the box with the possible added benefit of the reduction in the possibility go infant mortality due to the extra time on the electronics.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
A refurb is not something that was returned and just reboxed.

A refurb has been inspected, returned to factory specs with whatever repairs and adjustments were required and any blemishes on the exterior have been refinished.

In my estimation a refurb is at least as good as new out of the box with the possible added benefit of the reduction in the possibility go infant mortality due to the extra time on the electronics.
Yes, the word "refurbished" implies all that, but I am more referring to "finer" or "hidden" issues you don't necessarily detect in a refurb process. Yes, they will make sure the TV works and everything functions, looks good (no scratches and such), but I don't think they are spending the kind of time to verify screen uniformity, possibly a pixel issue here and there, etc. Things you need to spend some time on to evaluate and discover, which I'm sure they can't afford to spend on every TV they refurbish. Maybe the smart features had an issue and would randomly shut down after a while of using (just as example) - I doubt they watch content for extended time to make sure it works, but probably just go to smart features, make sure they show up (seemingly working) and that's it (if that)... Often times someone returns a TV exactly for such reasons and not because the TV literally died on them. Those are the easiest and most common returns, that function fine, but that may have "finer" issues some enthusiast may not be happy with... But then again, some of the TV's have that issue even brand new, so one can only hope to get a good one. I'm just not a fan of refurbs, as there was certainly some reason for the original purchaser to return it - maybe in some cases it was simply a change of mind and there's truly nothing wrong with the TV, but in most cases there must have been something off that prompted the return... Anyway, in case of warranty, I just think that a company should either fix my TV (where I know what the problem is), or replace it with a new one. They can sell refurbs at discounted prices if they want, but I bought a new TV and want it either repaired or replaced, and not with some used and returned TV they supposedly checked to be ok... Anyway, just my 2 cents worth... I'm sure some of the refurbs work out fine. Would be interesting to hear from some of the people who got refurbs and if they had any issues etc...
Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
I'm sure some of the refurbs work out fine. Would be interesting to hear from some of the people who got refurbs and if they had any issues etc...

I would, too.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just got the 70 inch 650u couple weeks ago and have noticed very slight lip sync issues. Running everything through onkyo txr515 receiver via hdmi. The receiver has sync options that I've played around with or turned off but didn't work. I assume it's the tv. Any settings on the tv I should try?? Anyone having lip sync problems with these sets?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroyg View Post
Just got the 70 inch 650u couple weeks ago and have noticed very slight lip sync issues. Running everything through onkyo txr515 receiver via hdmi. The receiver has sync options that I've played around with or turned off but didn't work. I assume it's the tv. Any settings on the tv I should try?? Anyone having lip sync problems with these sets?
The answer is yes, I see it. Problem is it's inconsistent. It is sometimes spot on and other times not. I just try to ignore it. If I fixed one I'd screw up another. I did dial in the BluRay as it's one I can dial in. I used the Wow disk to do that.

I used to do film projection for a studio, back in the day. Lip sync issues drive me nuts.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Old 08-15-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Set the TV to Game mode, to reduce any delay added by processing.

You don't mention whether the delay is consistent across sources or not. If it is, then a universal setting could help, but I'm guessing it's not. In that case, using the receiver input-specific settings, if it has some, may help with some cases.

It's interesting you say that making changes in the receiver makes NO DIFFERENCE. This suggests the receiver has a problem. It should alter the delay -- make it worse, if not better. If it makes no difference, there is another problem.

I take it your old TV didn't have this problem?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got an audio issue of my own:

Since I use HDMI into the TV direct from my DISH Joey *and* I use optical output from the Joey into my sound system (which does not have HDMI).

The TV is telling the Joey (I think) via HDMI edid (I guess) that it can only handle Stereo. So even on the optical output, the Joey is outputting DD as 2.0, even when it's 5.1. (Yes, on the Joey I have tried both PCM, which should do that, and bitstream, which shouldn't.)

Ideally there would be a setting on the TV which basically says "I'm not using the TV for Audio" and it would stop telling the Joey to only output stereo -- if indeed that is what is happening.

Anyone else seen this or solved this?

Maybe I am missing something VERY obvious (wouldn't be the first time!).

Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Set the TV to Game mode, to reduce any delay added by processing.

You don't mention whether the delay is consistent across sources or not. If it is, then a universal setting could help, but I'm guessing it's not. In that case, using the receiver input-specific settings, if it has some, may help with some cases.

It's interesting you say that making changes in the receiver makes NO DIFFERENCE. This suggests the receiver has a problem. It should alter the delay -- make it worse, if not better. If it makes no difference, there is another problem.

I take it your old TV didn't have this problem?

i will try game mode tonite, i read somewhere else that could make a difference.

actually making change in the receiver does make a difference, it makes it worse. i believe its the same on all sources, just moved into new house so havent had much time to play around with everything. i checked hbo go via ps3 and it was the same, very slightly out of sync.

this is a new receiver (actually bought the receiver a year ago but first time using it) so i never had an old tv hooked up to it.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i will try game mode tonite, i read somewhere else that could make a difference.

actually making change in the receiver does make a difference, it makes it worse. i believe its the same on all sources, just moved into new house so havent had much time to play around with everything. i checked hbo go via ps3 and it was the same, very slightly out of sync.

this is a new receiver (actually bought the receiver a year ago but first time using it) so i never had an old tv hooked up to it.
Receiver makes it worse -- well, the good news is the receiver is doing what it "should" (delaying the sound by additional amounts when you tell it to).

The bad news is that for some reason your problem is that the sound is ALREADY BEHIND the video. That is unusual. The typical issue is that video processing is delaying the picture -- so the sound is AHEAD of the video, and so receivers have a feature to delay the audio.

Changing the TV to Game Mode won't help this. Game Mode further reduces the video processing, so in your case the video will get EVERN FURTHER ahead of the audio.

---

Typically, if the video is ahead of the audio, the problem is in the source -- but that doesn't quite fit what you are describing....

Old 08-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

I still haven't received a replacement from Sharp for the white dot issue. What i did receive was a voicemail from them saying they had nothing in stock to send me and would update me again next week. This is rediculous.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I still haven't received a replacement from Sharp for the white dot issue. What i did receive was a voicemail from them saying they had nothing in stock to send me and would update me again next week. This is rediculous.
Man, why don't you "get in their face" a bit and demand they fix it immediately, and if necessary send you a brand new set. Waiting for someone else's refurb like that is ridiculous. How long do they think you're supposed to wait? Good luck man... Hope it all works out soon...
Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
That's the same thing they did with me, a few days later I had an email showing my order. And it was an updated model new in the box. It took 3 or 4 weeks from start to finish to get my set. But I was cool with it, the white spots didn't make the old tv unwatchable.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
Man, why don't you "get in their face" a bit and demand they fix it immediately, and if necessary send you a brand new set. Waiting for someone else's refurb like that is ridiculous. How long do they think you're supposed to wait? Good luck man... Hope it all works out soon...
I would have but I was at work so I wasn't able to answer my phone. They left a voicemail filling me in in the situation. I will call them tomorrow to see what's going on.

Quote:
That's the same thing they did with me, a few days later I had an email showing my order. And it was an updated model new in the box. It took 3 or 4 weeks from start to finish to get my set. But I was cool with it, the white spots didn't make the old tv unwatchable.
That's good to know. I'm only mildly irritated since the tv is still watchable. I would be pretty pissed if I had an unusable set and they were doing this.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would have but I was at work so I wasn't able to answer my phone. They left a voicemail filling me in in the situation. I will call them tomorrow to see what's going on.

That's good to know. I'm only mildly irritated since the tv is still watchable. I would be pretty pissed if I had an unusable set and they were doing this.
By the way, how many and how big in diameter white spots did your respective sets develop? In which area of the screen? How noticeable are they with regular content?
I ask because I am starting to notice tiny, slightly "brighter" spots somewhat central on the screen. Not necessarily easily noticeable, but I did find them... Wonder how noticeable they need to be for the geek squad guys to recognize it as a defect...

Tags
New Lc60le847u 60in Led Lcd 1080p 3d Tv 240hz Lc60le847u , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , Sharp , Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv
Gear in this thread