Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 647 Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post
I would have but I was at work so I wasn't able to answer my phone. They left a voicemail filling me in in the situation. I will call them tomorrow to see what's going on.

That's good to know. I'm only mildly irritated since the tv is still watchable. I would be pretty pissed if I had an unusable set and they were doing this.
By the way, how many and how big in diameter white spots did your respective sets develop? In which area of the screen? How noticeable are they with regular content?
I ask because I am starting to notice tiny, slightly "brighter" spots somewhat central on the screen. Not necessarily easily noticeable, but I did find them... Wonder how noticeable they need to be for the geek squad guys to recognize it as a defect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 647 Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Z-Mad,

Mine are confined to the bottom third of the screen. I would say I probably have about 15-20 different dots when I examine up close. Some are small, maybe a pixel or two in size, but a few are much larger (clusters of pixels). One even looks like a tear and is about 1/2 inch long.

I first noticed them when I turned on my Xbox 360. I could see them against the light gray background of the Dashboard menu. I was standing maybe 8-10 feet away from the tv when I noticed them. There are currently three areas I can see from where I sit normally when light colored scenes are on the tv. It's not horrible but I have a feeling it will get worse.
post #633 of 647 Old 08-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Z-Mad,

Mine are confined to the bottom third of the screen. I would say I probably have about 15-20 different dots when I examine up close. Some are small, maybe a pixel or two in size, but a few are much larger (clusters of pixels). One even looks like a tear and is about 1/2 inch long.

I first noticed them when I turned on my Xbox 360. I could see them against the light gray background of the Dashboard menu. I was standing maybe 8-10 feet away from the tv when I noticed them. There are currently three areas I can see from where I sit normally when light colored scenes are on the tv. It's not horrible but I have a feeling it will get worse.
Thanks for the details. I have a small grouping of 3 bright spots fairly in the center of the screen, indeed noticeable on light colored screen, if one looks closely enough; and another one that's maybe a 1/4" line (or a tear you are describing) in the lower left corner... Hmmm, I have to think about what to do. They are not exactly noticeable during moving scenes or darker scenes, but the fact that they are there and that I can see them under specific conditions even if only so slightly, makes me nervous, also from the perspective that they might get worse. I still have another 2 years of coverage with my extended Best Buy warranty, so I am considering if to call Geek Squad now, or wait just a bit longer and see if they become more noticeable...
post #634 of 647 Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

If I could some how be guaranteed it wouldn't get worse I'd probably just keep the set. For the hell of it I just threw up a white screen to see if it's gotten any worse and there are indeed more dots and two more of the tear type formations (although smaller). The dots seem to be working their way upward.

Sharp called again this morning and said they still have no stock to send me. They wouldn't even give me an ETA. It could be days, it could be weeks. So I took to social media and posted a message on their Facebook page summarizing my experience so far with their customer service. Within hours I received a phone call that they are sending me a brand new in box LC70LE650U ... mine was the Costco model #.

I called Costco and confirmed that the rest of my 18 months of warranty will remain for the replacement TV. It's too bad I had to post on their Facebook page to get this result but I'm happy I'm getting a new set.
joe221 likes this.
post #635 of 647 Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
If I could some how be guaranteed it wouldn't get worse I'd probably just keep the set. For the hell of it I just threw up a white screen to see if it's gotten any worse and there are indeed more dots and two more of the tear type formations (although smaller). The dots seem to be working their way upward.

Sharp called again this morning and said they still have no stock to send me. They wouldn't even give me an ETA. It could be days, it could be weeks. So I took to social media and posted a message on their Facebook page summarizing my experience so far with their customer service. Within hours I received a phone call that they are sending me a brand new in box LC70LE650U ... mine was the Costco model #.

I called Costco and confirmed that the rest of my 18 months of warranty will remain for the replacement TV. It's too bad I had to post on their Facebook page to get this result but I'm happy I'm getting a new set.
I am not surprised. That's why I suggested "getting in their face" a bit. They'll try to get away with as much as possible as long as one remains complacent. See, they know what's the right thing to do, and as soon as you posted on their facebook they had to act properly... Anyway, glad to hear you are getting a new set Now I have to figure what to do with geek squad. My manufacturer warranty is already up, so I'd be dealing with geek squad and Best Buy...
post #636 of 647 Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

If I were in your shoes I'd start the process with the Geek Squad. Why waste warranty time on a TV you know is faulty? Just my two cents.
post #637 of 647 Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
If I were in your shoes I'd start the process with the Geek Squad. Why waste warranty time on a TV you know is faulty? Just my two cents.
Yeah, you're right. That's what I was thinking in the end too. I'll just call Geek Squad and see what they say... Thanks...
post #638 of 647 Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
Yeah, you're right. That's what I was thinking in the end too. I'll just call Geek Squad and see what they say... Thanks...
Z,

Having dealt with a BestBuy EW, twice, I'd say: if the set is working fine otherwise and you have to look hard to see the problem, wait. It's going to get worse and you will end your EW at the point of replacement. Then you will have to buy a new EW at full price on the replacement set. If you have a 4 year EW wait three as long as you aren't driven crazy by the spots. When that happens all bets are off.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #639 of 647 Old 08-20-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Z,

Having dealt with a BestBuy EW, twice, I'd say: if the set is working fine otherwise and you have to look hard to see the problem, wait. It's going to get worse and you will end your EW at the point of replacement. Then you will have to buy a new EW at full price on the replacement set. If you have a 4 year EW wait three as long as you aren't driven crazy by the spots. When that happens all bets are off.
Hey Joe,

Thanks, I see your point, and it's a good one. The spots are not exactly driving me crazy, but they are there. Mind you my set is a 640U, so it's already 2 years old (if one can call that old), so at this point they pretty much wouldn't have a replacement panel and are likely to offer a replacement with either this year's model or a different set altogether... If that becomes the case, I may even choose a different set altogether (maybe a Samsung or a Vizio) and get an even better picture quality on a new set. I don't mind paying a bit of a difference for it (although you are absolutely right that I would have to purchase a completely new EW for it without having exhausted the full duration of my existing EW), but I guess I'm fine with that if I can get a new and even better set for a small up-charge (in comparison)... I have already called Geek Squad just yesterday and they're sending a tech this coming weekend. Let's see, I'll keep you guys posted...
post #640 of 647 Old 08-20-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey Joe,

Thanks, I see your point, and it's a good one. The spots are not exactly driving me crazy, but they are there. Mind you my set is a 640U, so it's already 2 years old (if one can call that old), so at this point they pretty much wouldn't have a replacement panel and are likely to offer a replacement with either this year's model or a different set altogether... If that becomes the case, I may even choose a different set altogether (maybe a Samsung or a Vizio) and get an even better picture quality on a new set. I don't mind paying a bit of a difference for it (although you are absolutely right that I would have to purchase a completely new EW for it without having exhausted the full duration of my existing EW), but I guess I'm fine with that if I can get a new and even better set for a small up-charge (in comparison)... I have already called Geek Squad just yesterday and they're sending a tech this coming weekend. Let's see, I'll keep you guys posted...
Good luck Z, I known you'll get the right thing done. Although I did get an A-hole at a BB when my first set went nuts and lemoned. Eventually I got a good person at Culver City and he helped greatly. I think now it's all done through Geek so it's different. Tell us how it goes. I did my EW through SquareTrade for my Sharp, as my early Sharp "screw" experience meant I wanted nothing further to do with them. So far my Z-Maded TV is still looking great. I know based on history I will have those white dots at sometime. My big Mits died outside the EW, which sucked. I'll keep an eye on it but will delay the service as long as needed.
Joe

post #641 of 647 Old 08-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Good luck Z, I known you'll get the right thing done. Although I did get an A-hole at a BB when my first set went nuts and lemoned. Eventually I got a good person at Culver City and he helped greatly. I think now it's all done through Geek so it's different. Tell us how it goes. I did my EW through SquareTrade for my Sharp, as my early Sharp "screw" experience meant I wanted nothing further to do with them. So far my Z-Maded TV is still looking great. I know based on history I will have those white dots at sometime. My big Mits died outside the EW, which sucked. I'll keep an eye on it but will delay the service as long as needed.
Joe
Yeah, I'm hoping it will be a good enough experience that will resolve the dots issue and hopefully result in a new set. Manufacturer warranty doesn't apply anymore, so it's entirely on Geek Squad, and in case of panel issues (like dots, dead pixels and such) they really can't do much but replace the TV. Unless they somehow have 640U panels as replacement parts from Sharp, which would surprise me, especially since even Sharp just replaces the sets with such issues... Anyway, I'm hoping for the best

Hey, good to hear the Z-Madded set is still looking good, ha ha. Actually my Sharp has stayed pretty consistent over time too without much shifting. I checked it several times and the gray-scale as well as colors stayed accurate not needed any adjustment... So hopefully the calibration will hold for a long time
post #642 of 647 Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Me too! Maybe I'll pop in the WOW disk and check for spots? Or maybe I won't.
;-)

Oh and I like Z-Maded as in YOU made the set look as good as it does. :-D

Last edited by joe221; 08-20-2014 at 07:44 PM.
post #643 of 647 Old 08-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Me too! Maybe I'll pop in the WOW dick and check for spots? Or maybe I won't.
;-)

Oh and I like Z-Maded as in YOU made the set look as good as it does. :-D
You're probably better off not looking for the spots. You know how it is, once and if you find them, all of a sudden you keep noticing them all the time, lol

Thanks for the post, certainly glad I was able to get the best out of your set
joe221 and Long Hair like this.
post #644 of 647 Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're probably better off not looking for the spots. You know how it is, once and if you find them, all of a sudden you keep noticing them all the time, lol

Thanks for the post, certainly glad I was able to get the best out of your set
My previous RPTV lemons had white spots, black spots, color degradation, so I don't like seeing them much, either.

post #645 of 647 Old 08-24-2014, 10:21 PM

Btw, a quick update: Geek Squad stopped by this weekend, saw the white spots, and it was obviously not the first time they encountered it. Of course they confirmed it was a panel defect, and they are going to let me know if they have a panel as a replacement part they can come out and replace. I told them I would be rather interested in simply getting a new and better TV (and pay Best Buy more money for a better set), so they will put that in their report - let's see what happens. I'm hoping they might not have a panel for replacement anyway, which would mean new TV, and which would mean me shopping probably for a 75" set Let's see what happens...
nathan_h likes this.
post #646 of 647 Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Btw, a quick update: Geek Squad stopped by this weekend, saw the white spots, and it was obviously not the first time they encountered it. Of course they confirmed it was a panel defect, and they are going to let me know if they have a panel as a replacement part they can come out and replace. I told them I would be rather interested in simply getting a new and better TV (and pay Best Buy more money for a better set), so they will put that in their report - let's see what happens. I'm hoping they might not have a panel for replacement anyway, which would mean new TV, and which would mean me shopping probably for a 75" set Let's see what happens...
Good luck, Z.

post #647 of 647 Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post
Well, I called up Sharp's service center today to address my Dirty Screen Effect and white dot issues, and so far the experience has been quite the exercise in patience.

First I had to endure the agent's thick Indian accent, while he had me perform a series of powering-off / unplugging / holding down buttons on the side of the TV in order to run diagnostics and (unfortunately) reset all settings on my TV to its factory defaults.

Then he e-mailed me a pdf letter asking for me to include a photocopy or e-copy of the original receipt, and to take pictures of the following:
  • Take one full screen picture of the issue from a normal viewing distance.
  • Take one close-up picture of the issue.
  • Press the "Menu" button on the remote control and take a full screen picture with the Menu displayed.
  • Press the "Display" button on the remote control and take a full screen picture of the on-screen display.
  • Take one picture of the model & serial number sticker located on the back side of the unit.

So I took all the pictures and even a couple of short videos, but it was hard to get the DSE to show up. I ended up using a special test pattern to help bring out the effect. Albeit even then the effect didn't show up on the pictures & video very well.

So now I'll cross my fingers and hope that they deem it necessary to send out a tech. And then hopefully he'll see the effect well enough first-hand to warrant a replacement screen. I'll keep you informed... wish me luck!

Visor

UPDATE... first of all, sorry to everyone for the delay; I've been busy house shopping with my girlfriend and then going through the long and tedious process of buying / selling our properties.

So Sharp called me back about a week after I sent them the sample pictures and video. Regarding the white dot (there is really only one dot on my set, although another one is starting to form), they told me that this was "within the TV's parameters" and they would not replace my set because of this alone.

Regarding the DSE that both myself and kovach noticed, they couldn't see it in the photos & video I took of the test pattern. So now I need to find some material that will show the artifact more clearly and for longer than a split second. In viewing some movies recently, I think the opening pan shot in "Tears of the Sun" might be a good candidate.

Reviewing the recent posts, it's definitely concerning that other customers are receiving refurbished units. If that's the direction that Sharp Canada decides to go with my TV, then I'll definitely put the replacment unit through a battery of tests while the techs are on-site to ensure the DSE and white dots aren't there.

I'm hoping to perform a good video capture of the Tears of the Sun scene tonight and send it off to Sharp. Hopefully that'll be enough to finally send me a replacement.

Cheers,
Visor
nathan_h likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , New Lc60le847u 60in Led Lcd 1080p 3d Tv 240hz Lc60le847u , Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 60le650u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page