Official Sharp 60LE650U/70LE650U/80 Owner's Thread - Page 26 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 755 Old 03-04-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrpearrow View Post
Another victim here of the dreaded white dot and white line phenomenon on an LC70LE650U.

My replacement TV was delivered yesterday and as I expected from my conversations with Sharp, it was a refurbished unit.

The TV came in a well packaged shipping box, which I felt was even a better box than the one my original TV came in.

The delivery company removed the defective TV, assembled and placed the new TV, repackaged the defective unit and took it away.

We fired up the replacement TV and ran through the set up, before they left.

I started a slideshow of the pre-calibration color panels from a USB stick and we all looked the screen over for any problems.

None were observed.

The TV's plastic frame was covered with standard plastic shipping film, which was peeled off to reveal no scratches or other imperfections.

The paperwork and remote appeared to be brand new.

I suppose I could have refused the replacement TV, but saw no reason to at this point.

This unit looked and performed just as good, if not better, than my other TV when it was new.

I spent the rest of the evening fine tuning the channel lineup and tweaking a few basic settings.

My plan is to run the color panel slideshow all of the time we are not actively watching the TV for the next week or so.

I hope to be able to sit down and run through the calibration process this coming weekend when I have a couple of hours to tinker around.

As of this moment, I could not be happier with the replacement unit.

The process of getting this TV replaced could not have been easier.

I have to hand it to Sharp in that they made a good effort to take care of this problem to my satisfaction.

Our TV had been in service for the better part of nine months before I stumbled upon the white dot problem.

Normally, I do not make it a habit of getting nose-to-screen close to the TV, but I was making some adjustments to some room décor that placed me unusually close to the screen.

Once I first noticed the defect, it became hard to ignore, as my eyes were drawn to the white dots, especially when the video being displayed was more light than dark.

After doing some research into the matter, I was compelled to contact Sharp to determine the best course of action to resolve this issue.

I called the tech service line and detailed the problem I was having.

Sharp opened a ticket and had me perform a hard reset of the TV.

Once it was determined that the problem still existed after the hard reset, Sharp had me respond with an email that had attached to it a series of photographs I had taken showing the white dots and lines on the screen and other screen shots they requested.

In short order, they responded back and informed me that I was approved for a warranty replacement and that they would be handling the shipping of the refurbished unit, swapping out that unit with my defective unit and the return of the defective unit back to Sharp.

The only problem was they currently did not have a refurbished unit in stock and would have to wait until one was available.

I placed a follow up call after a 30 day wait and confirmed I was still in the queue to receive the refurbished replacement as soon as one was available.

I was satisfied with the response I received and indicated that I would continue to follow up on their progress.

On one hand, I felt somewhat good that they did not have a warehouse full of refurbs waiting to be exchanged.

But I was not going to wait around forever or allow this to fall between the cracks.

Thankfully, I received a phone call within the next week to schedule the delivery of the replacement unit.

Our area was impacted with an ice storm that prevented the shipping company from taking to the streets for a couple of days, but this was understandable, given the circumstances, and not a problem.

I would suggest that anyone experiencing this white dot issue with their TV and they are still within their warranty period, to not hesitate to contact Sharp and get the process started.

Even though I would have preferred to not have to deal with these issues, I feel that they handled their end to my satisfaction.

They did not indicate that this was a common problem with these units, but I would not have expected that confirmation to be volunteered, nor did I press for it.

We are pleased with the transaction at this time and we are going to move forward from this point and hope that this issue does not occur with this replacement unit.

So far, so good, but only time will tell.

I will post again if things take a turn for the worse.
Glad to hear it worked out so far. Still sucks to go through that process -- though it sucks far less than having a broken TV!

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 755 Old 03-09-2015, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post
Finally received the 70EQ series tv today. It was brand new, again, so that made me very happy. Screen looks great and I have to say I'm pretty happy. Sharp might have taken their time with my case but in the end they made it right in my eyes.

Still want to say the 70LE650U was a great tv. I would've been happy with it for years if the white dot issue didn't happen. Hopefully (knocking on wood) this new tv will be problem free.
How is the 70EQ working out? Sharp has just offered me this TV to replace my LE650U for the white dot issue.
post #753 of 755 Old 03-22-2015, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wondering if anyone has seen the white spots issue on the 80 inch model ? Seems like this is more of an issue on the 60 to 70 inches ? Am I right ?
post #754 of 755 Old Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardes3 View Post
Wondering if anyone has seen the white spots issue on the 80 inch model ? Seems like this is more of an issue on the 60 to 70 inches ? Am I right ?
They probably sold ten times as many 70 inch as 80 inch models, that year. That was a big price jump at that time. So I would expect to see lots more reports of issues on the 70 inch model -- not because it was more prone to trouble but because there were many more around.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
New Lc60le847u 60in Led Lcd 1080p 3d Tv 240hz Lc60le847u , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , Sharp , Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page