Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 705 Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovach View Post

I've had this TV (the 60" version) for a few weeks now and am quite happy.

The only thing I just noticed today while watching a hockey game when panning across a bright area like the ice was sort of a light very faint oval...in maybe the middle 3rd of the screen. Almost like a dust oval about an inch thick on the screen.

Is this maybe a symptom of the edge lit backlighting? I've only heard clouding referred to in dark scenes, and yes some of this is evident too but nothing extremely annoying; I'm wondering if this is the complete opposite effect on light scenes.

I did notice too from looking at this from the side it's not exactly perfectly flat and rigid, that is the top edge, if shined a laser level across it wouldn't be perfectly straight and in fact if looking at the panel in whole directly from the side may appear slightly twisted by an extremely small fraction of an inch. Now I know it's mostly a big hunk of plastic, not steel, so some of that may be normal, not sure. Thoughts??

Unfortunately only noticing these things a good month after having this I no longer have the box if I want to exchange it. :-(

Ok, seems it's not clouding I'm seeing but the DSE (dirty screen effect) that seems as prevalent as clouding or flashlighting. About the only time I notice it is fast panning across a very bright surface like a hockey ice rink. I'm thinking I could've got something much worse. I guess I'll keep it as that's my only complaint, very happy with everything else about the TV.

I didn't exactly set out to get the best TV possible (I just don't think they last long enough to justify the cost) or I would've got one backlit rather than edgelit; I just wanted one with a good picture that didn't have a huge glare problem and for the most part this satisfies that. I can't even get a picture of it where you can see it so it's relatively faint.

Any other opinions?? I don't want to get into constant returning because I find it just in a different spot with every TV. But if you think this may be more rare than common that's certainly an option I'd consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 705 Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingtaiche View Post

I think that is a pretty decent price considering it seems like the 60LE640u price has jumped to 1499 in the last week.
paXMwh
3rd party sellers always try to gouge people with the older models.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #93 of 705 Old 11-06-2013, 11:38 PM

Bought lc60le650u within last 2 weeks at Fred Meyers where they did price match for same model listed at Costco. Since having it home, utilized the noted cal. settings of zmad and others. Have been impressed so far except regular basic analog cable does not look very good. The issue I have since yesterday is upon turning on tv some of the remote buttons do not work. Channels, smart function, Netflix buttons do not function. If tv turned off and unplugged from wall socket and plugged back in 30 sec, then the button functions return and everything works normally. If tv turned off again.....same issue again. Left it unplugged for a while, same issues repeat. WiFi reset. is there a systems reboot/ reset that can be used. Any one that can help would be appreciated. edit Nov 12, tried having sharp tech unsupported help. Apart from a few procedures and different button input and unplugging.....no change. Suggested I either wait for serversice or take it in myself. Last ditch try......reset it with intent to return to retailer. Turned it on again and tv functions as per normal. Problems solved. If all else fails, reset and start all over.
post #94 of 705 Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone get a heavy pixeling effect while watching Netflix? I have been when watching breaking bad and seem to get heavy pixeling in shadowed areas. Maybe it is my internet connection as I only have 1mb speed.
post #95 of 705 Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Stygz.....I too have heavy pixels initially while starting watching Netflix both on tv and on my HTC phone.....I think its all part of the internet ....regardless of speed as the same is at home or work with faster service. Usually it smooths out within seconds though. Hope that helps.
post #96 of 705 Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 PM

How do you change your settings for 720, 1080i to make cable better?
post #97 of 705 Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know why the 650 would be so much less than the 640? From what I can tell the 650 is pretty much the same thing with no major changes just newer? Would think pricing would be other way around...
post #98 of 705 Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole351 View Post

Does anyone know why the 650 would be so much less than the 640? From what I can tell the 650 is pretty much the same thing with no major changes just newer? Would think pricing would be other way around...
The only companies that have the 640 anymore are small 3rd party companies and they are trying to gouge customers. That is normal.

post #99 of 705 Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stygz View Post

Does anyone get a heavy pixeling effect while watching Netflix? I have been when watching breaking bad and seem to get heavy pixeling in shadowed areas. Maybe it is my internet connection as I only have 1mb speed.

At 1MB I'm amazed you're getting any solid picture, let alone some pixelation. Yes, up your speed.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #100 of 705 Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrob View Post

How do you change your settings for 720, 1080i to make cable better?

That is a function of your cable box. It could be in a regular or hidden menu. You will probably notice little is any difference between the two settings. Generally the default setting is passed through. Now if your cable sucks, that's a different problem.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #101 of 705 Old 11-20-2013, 04:43 AM

Can anyone speak to how poor the off-axis viewing is? I REALLY want to get this TV but one of the viewing spots in my living room is probably 50-60 degrees off center as it's very spread out. Is the picture drastically altered thus ruining viewing, or just slightly noticeable?
post #102 of 705 Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Can anyone speak to how poor the off-axis viewing is? I REALLY want to get this TV but one of the viewing spots in my living room is probably 50-60 degrees off center as it's very spread out. Is the picture drastically altered thus ruining viewing, or just slightly noticeable?
I was just watching mine...Imho, i myself notice no off axis viewing issues, until you are near the extreme angles. I too occasionally need to view the screen from greater angles and bought a good swivel mount when I bought the tv,to eliminate any issues. So far, except for aiding in the install of wires and having access to wall behind tv when running new wires, haven't needed to swing the tv to view it from the other angle(more than 45 degrees). Not one of my complaints. Others...but have been corrected.
Hope that helps.
post #103 of 705 Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 AM

Yes, definitely helps - thanks!

Went to BB and Costco yesterday - I could tell how much degradation there was in Costco with the really bright lights on the 70". Seemed fine in BB though on the 60" in a darker room (in fact seemed to do better than some of the surrounding models?) My room is probably closer to the BB lighting than Costco - so I'm not as worried anymore smile.gif
post #104 of 705 Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 60LE650 is $999 now.

post #105 of 705 Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovach View Post

Ok, seems it's not clouding I'm seeing but the DSE (dirty screen effect) that seems as prevalent as clouding or flashlighting. About the only time I notice it is fast panning across a very bright surface like a hockey ice rink. I'm thinking I could've got something much worse. I guess I'll keep it as that's my only complaint, very happy with everything else about the TV.

I didn't exactly set out to get the best TV possible (I just don't think they last long enough to justify the cost) or I would've got one backlit rather than edgelit; I just wanted one with a good picture that didn't have a huge glare problem and for the most part this satisfies that. I can't even get a picture of it where you can see it so it's relatively faint.

Any other opinions?? I don't want to get into constant returning because I find it just in a different spot with every TV. But if you think this may be more rare than common that's certainly an option I'd consider.

Ok, made a warranty call...Best Buy sent the Geek Squad out, they put in for an exchange. Not seeing any of the issues I noticed with the first one, in fact the picture seems much better with the same exact settings, making me think there was a serious defect with the first one.
post #106 of 705 Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 650u from best buy. What's everyone's final thoughts? 745u is tempting too.
post #107 of 705 Old 11-24-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fist-of-freedom View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 650u from best buy. What's everyone's final thoughts? 745u is tempting too.

If you want to get the warranty it's cheaper at amazon and costco. But the tv price itself is great...just ordered one Friday!
post #108 of 705 Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:

If you want to get the warranty it's cheaper at amazon and costco. But the tv price itself is great...just ordered one Friday!

The question that I keep asking is, can the differences be seen on the more expensive screens with greater refresh rates , when reading all of the adjustments suggested to get the tv to the most optimal setting, requires turning off those same features that people paid extra for. Just asking?? As to the warranty from Costco (square trade), it normally covers the last 3yrs of 5, manufacturer covers first 2 yrs. If you didn't buy the tv there, is still available for less than amazon. Same 5 yr warranty for under $1000 is $60, and will be $107 on amazon. Just my thoughts.
post #109 of 705 Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 PM

Does anyone have this tv wall mounted? I'm going to have to do it. Was wondering how it looks being 3" thick (I currently have a Samsung ultra-thin mounted)
post #110 of 705 Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have this tv wall mounted? I'm going to have to do it. Was wondering how it looks being 3" thick (I currently have a Samsung ultra-thin mounted)
I have mine on an adjustable mount that results on it being almost 12" from the wall at times...hard to tell when you are sitting in front of it. Don't spend much time looking at it from the sides. Looks good on the wall either way, also more secure...especially with the kids. Good luck. Make sure to invest in a good and sturdy mount and spend the time properly mounting it on the wall. Haste makes for a really bad day.
post #111 of 705 Old 11-28-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Im a 50" KURO owner looking for something larger to replace it with but so far IM not finding too many choices that impress me. I like the size options for the Sharp(650 line) and Katzmaier at CNet did give the set a decent review which is good. Its hard to make a proper assessment at any of these stores since NONE of them have the TVs setup correctly and the feeds they give them are dodgy at best. Really pisses me off. Its like dude - can you set these up a little better and have some blu-ray feeds? Geesh.

Anyways, the 70" 650 didnt look too bad at Sears the other day but the viewing angles and black level performance concern me. Being a plasma guy means these two issues are crucial for me. 3D is useless, Smart TV features are also of no concern. I just want a big screen with a reasonably good picture. I know Ill never get KURO performance from a lower cost LCD but I also dont want to settle too much. A bigger screen doesnt help if the image quality doesnt cut it.

The Sharp was next to a pricier 64" Samsung and a 65" Toshiba model. The Sammy was probably best overall but in the store that hardly counts. The Sharp appears to be the best value and the 5" extra screen makes a big difference too. This is tough though. In some regards I should probably just get a Panasonic 65" plasma since that will be closer to what IM used to. But, I dunno, Im not sold on those either.

Has anyone here gone from a Pioneer plasma or another good plasma to the Sharp 650 recently? If so, Id like to hear about it.
post #112 of 705 Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought the LC-80LE650U, loving it as an upgrade from my Samsung 71" DLP. Wish there was a proper forum for this model of television, the 650U series. Overall, very happy, off axis is good (you will lose contrast at extreme angles but the image is still clear). Very pleased overall with this purchase, finally able to watch 24p movies, and the extra size is great - of the screen, of course it is very thing compared to the old set.

Wallpaper mode is very cool, not usable at night to me just too bright, but during the day it's like your own personal art gallery, recommend loading alot of impressionist image and letting it go.

One criticism - not sure why they went with the gloss black side bezels when the top and bottom are brushed and therefore matte, and the screen is matte. The reflections I want to be gone with the set are gone, except on the bezels.

I was worried about color saturation with a matte screen - not a problem at all here.

Great set!
post #113 of 705 Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandehdtv View Post

Try these:

AV Mode: Standard
OPC: OFF
Backlight: +6
Contrast: +34
Brightness: -6
Color: +3
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +2
Color Temp: Med-Hi to Low depending on your preference
Motion Enhancement: OFF
Active Contrast: OFF
Gamma Adjustment: -2
Film Mode: OFF
DNR: OFF

The cnet settings were a bit washed out for me - but these worked great - thanks!!
post #114 of 705 Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What advanced settings do you use to correct the picture.
post #116 of 705 Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 17

I am in the process of trying to determine the proper picture settings/calibration.  I haven't done much of this before, and from my reading the WOW disc would be helpful.  I think I am going to order that.  

Any other tips/suggestions would be much appreciated.  :)

I did find this other thread concerning 60" picture settings.  The links are busted so I am reposting for convenience, and also including a link to the original thread as this wasn't my work.  FYI, at this time and point I have not had a chance to test any of these.

Original Thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488826/sharp-lc60le650u-lc70le650u-picture-settings

Updated Links (that are broken in the original thread):

1.  http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sharp-lcd-tv/sharp-le650u-picture-settings.html

2.  http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/calibration-guide/sharp-lc60le650u.html

3.  http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-589931/sharp-lc-60le650-picture-settings/

post #117 of 705 Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 17

Here is a link to the manual in PDF format.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/83899.pdf

I tried attaching as a file, but it exceeded the size limitations.  Later on, if the above link changes or goes down, please PM and I will try to help you by emailing a copy.

post #118 of 705 Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just picked up the LC-70LE650U yesterday. I must say that in the first 12 hours of playtime so far I'm very impressed; the picture quality's looking good (albeit I've only done a quick calibration using Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics). I've set the AV Mode to "Game", as it appears to be the only mode that completely disables Motion Enhancement.

I'm pleased to report that my set has no clouding issues whatsoever. I'm very relieved about that, as this was my #1 worry after reading posts from this thread among others. I'll admit that the screen isn't 100% uniform, but it's just as good (if not better) than the uniformity of my old CCFL-backlit Sony KDL-52W3000 set. In a dark room with the screen almost black, I can see just a hint of light leakage around the edges, but nothing serious enough to be distracting while watching dark scenes from a movie.

One thing I've noticed is when the screen goes completely black, the backlights appear to shut off in order to give the image a deep black look. I don't mind this, but I've seen a couple of instances where the backlights flashed on and off during a completely black scene, so I'm wondering if there's a way to disable this feature? I've already turned off power saving as well as OPC, but the backlights still turn off whenever a completely black screen appears.

Meanwhile, there is no input lag that I can detect while in Game mode. However, once switching to other modes, the lag becomes very apparent. It felt like it took a good quarter of a second for the game to respond to my controls. This would adversely affect any game I was playing. On my XBox 360 I tried Call of Duty: Ghosts, Forza 4, and Pinball FX2 and they were all unplayable in any mode outside of Game.

I use my Sony STR-DG820 a/v receiver for audio, so I didn't listen to the TV speakers for very long. What I heard wasn't great (very tinny) so I'm glad I have it hooked up to my a/v receiver.

Anti-reflectivity was excellent (and from what I understand, it's the best that's out there). It's almost as good as the heavy-matte screen on my old Sony KDL-52W3000. Compare this with the Panasonic S60 I tried out back in July, where the reflections were so bad that it was picking up the image being reflected back by a couple of picture frames behind me at night. tongue.gif I agree that the bezels and stand should've been matte instead of glossy; the stand tends to reflect the image, which is a little distracting at night.

What's missing is proper cable management. All that's on the back of this set is a small cable tie that's meant for the power cable. It doesn't appear to be detachable (at least not for this model... the LE857 units apparently have a detatchable version) and the tie is on the power cord side instead of the video connections side, so trying to gather all the cables into this one tie would be difficult.

Also, it would've been nice for the TV to be able to play .mkv files through DLNA. Since the TV supports .mkv playback through USB, I don't understand why it doesn't support this through DLNA as well. At any rate, I've hooked up my old WD TV Live from 2009 for this purpose.

BTW, can this thread be renamed to be an "Official" thread for the LE650 models? This thread has the most posts for this model (115 and counting) so I vote the thread title to be changed.

Cheers,
Visor
post #119 of 705 Old 12-16-2013, 04:33 PM

UPDATE 1/1/2014

My replacement came from Amazon, which was great about handling the return -- I simply told them I had image issues, and they arranged for the replacement, free of charge.

The replacement set is a lot better than the original.  I must have had a dud.  After calibrating this new set according to Z-Mad's settings, there is no pixelation during football, and the clouding is significantly reduced compared to my original set.  There's still some clouding that I notice in dark scenes, but it's within an acceptable level.  As people have said elsewhere, there will always be some clouding with these edgelit Sharps.

I'm very happy with the TV, especially given the price, and will hang onto it.  I decided on this TV because it's being placed in a room with multiple windows and skylights, and the screen has lived up to its low-reflective reputation.  It also performs very well at night, when the room is dark.

ORIGINAL POST 12/16/2013

I received a new Sharp LC-70LE650U from Amazon last week, and got to play with it over the weekend.

Here's my problem: Sunday's NFL football looked horrible!  Close-up shots of the players look fine, but when they did the wide-angle shot showing a play, I saw pixels around the players, like I was seeing their auras or something.  Once the ball was hiked, their movement made the pixelation even worse.  Also, when they did a close-up of a referee calling a penalty, the pixels appeared along the ref's shoulder line and arms.  I'm guessing it's the image of the grass interacting (in a bad way) with the outline of the player's/ref's bodies.  There was also a halo of pixels around the FOX icon in the upper-right of the screen, and a line of pixels all along at the bottom of the screen where the green of the field hit the top of the scoreline box.  The issue lessened when the field was fairly uniform, like an indoor turf field, but watching the Bears-Browns game played on the multi-colored grass in Cleveland was maddening.

Any tips on how to get rid of these pixels?  Or is this just a weakness of this line of TVs?  If this can't be resolved, it's going to be a deal-breaker for me.

Otherwise, I think I've got my settings in a good place.  Blu-rays look great at 1080p.  TV shows on cable HDTV look good at 1080i.  Like others have reported, I found the cnet and lcdtvbuyingguide settings to be way off, possibly because of the firmware update.  I went to the official avsforum page for the LE640U, and started plugging in the various settings recommened by Z-Mad, who thankfully took the time to post an amazing amount of information.  I used the settings at Post #1170 (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399227/official-2012-sharp-lc-xxle640u-xxc6400u/1140#post_23457208), did a little tweaking from there, and found that in Movie mode the colors looked yellowed out so I inputted them into Standard and was happy.  (The pixelation issue occurs in both modes.)  Z-Mad has some other settings later in the 640U page, so I'm going to check those out.

All that being said, my panel has clouding in every corner, most pronounced in the lower-right where a 1.5-foot-long diagonal line of white comes up from the corner toward the center when the screen gets dark.  I called Amazon and they are sending a replacement, no hassle involved.

post #120 of 705 Old 12-25-2013, 10:17 PM

I will come back to read this whole thread tomorrow, just found it from a quick search. I bought the 60LE650U for $999 from my local Sears, and I bought it with $1000 worth of gift cards bought from my super market, so to get the fuel perks, I will get appx $75-100 worth of free gas to fill up my truck a couple times by buying it this way. So if I do end up wanting to return it, it will be good for Sears store credit only, since I used gift cards. I found that risk to be acceptable.
After watching 1080i HD DVR from Time Warner Cable the last few days, I was thoroughly impressed. PS3 games were as good as expected. Tonight I watched my first 1080p blu ray, and I was disappointed to find the clouding/light bleed is an apparent problem in my panel, in both the right and left lower corners, most prominently in the right lower corner. My question is, has everyone with an LE650 who experienced a lightbleeding/clouding issue, who then got a replacement tv of the exact same model tv, was the problem solved? Did everyone's replacement tv NOT have any of this issue? IE perfect uniformity? Is it just a roll of the dice with these edge lit leds? I just wonder if I should accept it as is and not bother returning it. I have a truck and can easily return it to Sears, I've only had it a week. I'm just thinking if I should go to a Samsung led or *gasp* a plasma, with no uniformity issues, and suffer with reflections and glare when its' bright and sunny. But this is cloudy Ohio where I live, and not often sunny lol. Anyway, just wondering if I go get a new 60LE650 exchanged at Sears, if I'm going to set it up and see the same clouding/bleeding BS, except maybe at a different corner or part of the screen.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , New Lc60le847u 60in Led Lcd 1080p 3d Tv 240hz Lc60le847u , Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 60le650u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page