Sony 4K & LG 4K in North Dallas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
To anyone in North Dallas the Star Power Expo has the Sony and LG 4k sets on display. Went and checked it out today and the Sony was VERY impressive but I didn't get a chance to see what it looked like without native 4k content. It's hard to believe being able to be 18" away from a 84" tv and still not being able to see pixels. The LG just only had upscaled content but still looked extremely crisp and clear. Couldn't really give a proper comparison because they weren't next to each other and were under different lifting conditions. I highly recommend you check them out if you have the opportunity, nothing like seeing it in person. Unfortunately no OLEDs were there.

PSN ID: javant86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for sharing your experience.smile.gif It's no doubt a real treat for the eyes to actually see both 84" displays in person.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 232
We have a Sony 4K tv on display here in Blaine Minnesota. Had a chance to see it and was very impressed. But the price? Wow!
post #4 of 4 Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I also went to the Starpower Expo so here is my opinion on the sets, for what it is worth.

I viewed both sets and while I did notice a better picture than the 1080p displays, I can't say I saw anything that blew me away. I should note that it was very busy while I was there so I was not able to determine the resolution of the content on the Sony set (the Sony rep was surrounded by people). I did spend about five minutes sitting in front of the Sony from a distance of about 6-8 feet. It looked very crisp, showing content off the PC attached to the TV, of a city scene. As Kamoflage mentioned as well, I did not notice any pixels even at VERY close distances. All that being said, I would not consider the 4k technology to have enough wow factor at this point to make a jump (assuming I had that amount of coin to spend, which I certainly do not).

The LG display was equally as crowded. It also looked crisp, though I was not able to sit in front of this TV like the Sony.

I will say the Sony 4K projector showing Open Range in the JBL Synthesis room looked VERY nice. Definitely worth a trip to see that projector and the Synthesis system in action. Very Cool! (I know, off topic but I had to mention it).

Point being, for me anyways, I only saw a minor incremental quality improvement when looking at the displays from normal home viewing differences. So for now, pretty to look at, but not where my money would go if I had the means to purchase in this category.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page