Skyvue Outdoor TV's - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 05-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Looks really great! Glad you like the set. And your red brick looks nice. Mine, for or some reason, really sticks out in a bad way. It just doesn't match our backyard at all.

Did the monoprice mount fit without modification?

For the sopa opera effect, there's a setting in the menu. I believe it's menu -> picture settings -> (forget the name but it's one of the few setting options). I believe default is on high, which will cause the soap opera effect, so you can set it to either low or off. I have mine set to medium I believe.

I'm out for the weekend but off hand I recall the following settings: audio set to "surrond". It's noticeably louder and sounds more dynamic on this setting. The contrast feature I have set to "auto". For the picture setting, I believe I have it set to "standard". One more setting I can recall...I have the noise reduction set to "high".

That's what I recall off hand. I'm still tinkering with the settings but so far I really like the picture.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

I was at Disneyland this weekend and Nintendo had a big outdoor display for their U console. They used Skyvue TVs. Cool.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #33 of 56 Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, thanks for the thread. I'm on the fence of going with the SKY7040 Skyvue or the 6560HD SunBrite. Did you guys consider other brands besides Skyvue and if so, what made you go with them? Did you upgrade the speaker bar or went with the included 40Watt one?

While I like the extra 5in ***that's what she said tongue.gif *** and the sound bar sounds great from your comments, I'm not sure I'll get as much use of the smart TV piece, so I'm not sure it is worth the extra grand I'll have to shell out for the skyvue.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to joining the club!
post #34 of 56 Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 AM
mnb

I looked at the others a little but skyvue seemed like the best price performance to me. I bought the 46 inch model so didn't have the option for the larger sound bar.

The standard 40 watt bar is definitely loud enough for my needs. I guess it would depend on how far away you are going to be.

Love the TV so far.
post #35 of 56 Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Hey gansito99,

Good news, I think your numbers are interchanged. The SkyVue 70" is actually $1,500 cheaper than the 65" Sunbrite TV. That's after the $500 Skyvue sale price. So for $1,500 less, you're getting a bigger, "smarter", and better (spec wise) tv.

Before purchasing, I was between a Sunbrite and Skyvue model. My friend has both sets, a 42" Sunbrite and 32" Skyvue (older model) in his backyard so I was able to do a real side-by-side comparison. Spec and performance wise, the Skyvue was superior. The only downside was that the Skyvue suffered from glare when in direct sunlight making the picture almost unseeable under those conditions. The Sunbrite, on the other hand, worked great in direct sunlight. But since my friend's Skyvue set was 4-5 years old, I purchased the Skyvue model in hopes they have since corrected this flaw. And I can confirm that they have. I've watched TV in all viewing conditions and the picture is perfect on the newer sets.

Check out the side-by-side comparison that Skyvue does at the bottom of this page (compares to Sunbrite): http://www.skyvue.com/content/46-led-smart-outdoor-tv-sky-4630. The data points are all quantitative so there's no hyperbole.

And the sound bar gets plenty loud. My backyard isn't huge, but I've got it at about 5% volume which is plenty volume.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #36 of 56 Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 AM

mnb, looks great. what was the mount you finally went with? Was it the monoprice mount you listed above?
post #37 of 56 Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 PM
mnb

It is the 46 inch set and yes, I went with the monoprice mount I referenced above.

It's not really an outdoor mount, but I'll keep my eye on it and replace it if necessary.
post #38 of 56 Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 PM

if you look at Skyvue's Specs you will see that they are the same specs of a Shape, no more or less.
all they do is enclose a TV in a weatherized cabinet. that's it.
the only companies at make TV's brighter and made for outdoors are the Sunbrites and Global Outdoor Concepts "MirageVision TVs
post #39 of 56 Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM
mnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Rep View Post

if you look at Skyvue's Specs you will see that they are the same specs of a Shape, no more or less.
all they do is enclose a TV in a weatherized cabinet. that's it.
the only companies at make TV's brighter and made for outdoors are the Sunbrites and Global Outdoor Concepts "MirageVision TVs

And you're of course not biased at all because you're a MV rep.

I did realize that this was a sharp panel before I bought it. It is not however just a sharp that you can go out and buy and then put in a waterproof case. It has no external speakers and they also add an anti-reflective coating that makes a huge difference.

I did a lot of research before buying and skyvue had the best bang for the buck and I've been very happy with it so far.
post #40 of 56 Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM

Matter of fact no I am not. Just that I’ve been in the outdoor TV business for many years and I love to inform people what they are purchasing when it comes to outdoor TVs.
Being that Global Outdoor Concepts and Sunbrite are the two oldest companies out there making outdoor TVs is one thing. But I noticed that there where claims that a Skyvue TV was brighter than a normal TV. Under their website they make no claim to have a brighter TV than what they put in their casing. Nowhere does it state they change the picture quality than a normal Sharp TV, just only that they take out a sharp and place in a cabinet. That’s it. Now if it was just as simple to place anti-glare screens in front of a normal TV don't you think everyone would do this and save thousands of dollars instead of purchasing a Skyvue? Sunbrite changes the backlight hardware making the picture brighter but washes out the colors. G.O.C. has a way to do this with Software and make the TV not just brighter but sharper with colors more vivid than the norm. now you might think that you picture looks good and it might under a patio but in direct Sunlight Mirage Vision TVs are the only TVs that can be placed in direct sunlight and see true colors. There is no way a normal TV can be placed in direct sunlight and be viewed. A normal Sharp can only push out 4,000,000:1 contrast. Which is not possible to be viewed in direct sunlight unless the picture was altered? Btw has any one seen any videos on Skyvue on YouTube as to what the TV looks like in direct sunlight? that's because there are none, while Sunbrite and G.O.C. are currently making videos all the time, so am I biased not when I still think that a Sunbrite is brighter than any Skyvue TV and there is proof of that just like G.O.C. has proof that there is a difference in picture.
if Skyvue ever made a claim that his TVs are brighter than any normal Sharp TV that would be enough to file a class act claim against the company but the owner will even tell you as many of the customers that have bought TVs from us state he never stated that he made a brighter TV, just a weatherized TV.
Point to fact.
When sharp displays their products at a tradeshow it’s always in dark environment settings since the Sharps are noted as the TV with the least amount of brightness. Their claim to fame is size and now that the new Vizio M-Series is out sharp is out the door with contract starting off at 10 million to 1 with an amazing screen.

So this TV you purchased might be fine for your settings but when it comes to major companies like Universal or the Military they choice our TVs.
and don't be fooled when people think that just because it cost more does it mean its better, in some cases companies have to raise prices over others that cant push the needed amount of TVs out to keep cost down.
post #41 of 56 Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Matter of fact no I am not. Just that I’ve been in the outdoor TV business for many years and I love to inform people what they are purchasing when it comes to outdoor TVs.
Being that Global Outdoor Concepts and Sunbrite are the two oldest companies out there making outdoor TVs is one thing. But I noticed that there where claims that a Skyvue TV was brighter than a normal TV. Under their website they make no claim to have a brighter TV than what they put in their casing. Nowhere does it state they change the picture quality than a normal Sharp TV, just only that they take out a sharp and place in a cabinet. That’s it. Now if it was just as simple to place anti-glare screens in front of a normal TV don't you think everyone would do this and save thousands of dollars instead of purchasing a Skyvue? Sunbrite changes the backlight hardware making the picture brighter but washes out the colors. G.O.C. has a way to do this with Software and make the TV not just brighter but sharper with colors more vivid than the norm. now you might think that you picture looks good and it might under a patio but in direct Sunlight Mirage Vision TVs are the only TVs that can be placed in direct sunlight and see true colors. There is no way a normal TV can be placed in direct sunlight and be viewed. A normal Sharp can only push out 4,000,000:1 contrast. Which is not possible to be viewed in direct sunlight unless the picture was altered? Btw has any one seen any videos on Skyvue on YouTube as to what the TV looks like in direct sunlight? that's because there are none, while Sunbrite and G.O.C. are currently making videos all the time, so am I biased not when I still think that a Sunbrite is brighter than any Skyvue TV and there is proof of that just like G.O.C. has proof that there is a difference in picture.
if Skyvue ever made a claim that his TVs are brighter than any normal Sharp TV that would be enough to file a class act claim against the company but the owner will even tell you as many of the customers that have bought TVs from us state he never stated that he made a brighter TV, just a weatherized TV.
Point to fact.
When sharp displays their products at a tradeshow it’s always in dark environment settings since the Sharps are noted as the TV with the least amount of brightness. Their claim to fame is size and now that the new Vizio M-Series is out sharp is out the door with contract starting off at 10 million to 1 with an amazing screen.

So this TV you purchased might be fine for your settings but when it comes to major companies like Universal or the Military they choice our TVs.
and don't be fooled when people think that just because it cost more does it mean its better, in some cases companies have to raise prices over others that cant push the needed amount of TVs out to keep cost down.

Your name is MV Rep, and you quote manufacturer contrast specs. All I need to know biggrin.gif

BTW, sharp is not "going out the door". They are actually making a come-back with new technologies.
post #42 of 56 Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM

I work directly with Sharp and meet up with them at all tradeshows we do together and they are always amazed on what we did to their TVs.
unless they can do better than the new Vizio M-Series theres no chance in being the leader anymore. btw there is so much more than just contrast but what I am talking about is gammas, colors and brightness all at once. if you notice Sunbrite and G.O.C. talk about how they make the TVs brighter but where is the quote from Skyvue that makes no indication that they even make a bright TV?
if your looking to just secure a TV from water maybe that's ok, but why stop there when you can have brightness, Colors and weatherized for a lower price. how did you pass up G.O.C. in making this purchase. we show not only who we do business with but we tell you what we done to show you that its not a normal TV in a cabinet theres so much more science behind it. the officials for Sunbrite even came to our booth and was impressed. please feel free to contact the company on the website for any information to compare and send out to you if you wish. or just look up on YouTube at all the videos showing what an outdoor TV looks like in direct Sun.
post #43 of 56 Old 09-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I work directly with Sharp and meet up with them at all tradeshows we do together and they are always amazed on what we did to their TVs.
unless they can do better than the new Vizio M-Series theres no chance in being the leader anymore. btw there is so much more than just contrast but what I am talking about is gammas, colors and brightness all at once. if you notice Sunbrite and G.O.C. talk about how they make the TVs brighter but where is the quote from Skyvue that makes no indication that they even make a bright TV?
if your looking to just secure a TV from water maybe that's ok, but why stop there when you can have brightness, Colors and weatherized for a lower price. how did you pass up G.O.C. in making this purchase. we show not only who we do business with but we tell you what we done to show you that its not a normal TV in a cabinet theres so much more science behind it. the officials for Sunbrite even came to our booth and was impressed. please feel free to contact the company on the website for any information to compare and send out to you if you wish. or just look up on YouTube at all the videos showing what an outdoor TV looks like in direct Sun.
I took both images from the internet. The 1st is the back of a mirage.

This is the back of a Skyvue tv 50"

MV Rep, you tell me what looks better?
post #44 of 56 Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM

Well Pntbllxr it seems like you just join the form as of today and I see not introduction on who you are.

Now I seen this many times before as a competitor try to join on and say something and disappear after which I OK with it but to just come out from nowhere and start a form dispute is quite obvious to all.

This is an older model you are showing not like how our TVs are made today. Just because you can see a shell from the outside doesn’t me we don’t have protection that is inside. We protect the TV from the inside and out. As far as how strong yes the photo looks like a tank, but let’s face it if that is what sells we would all be driving tanks to work instead of thinking I rather have a super sports car. Even the most expensive car in the world doesn’t have air bags but does that make it cheap?
You see you may see only the shell but look closer at it. The thickness is showing on a Skyvue 46” at 4 1/8” and then need a wall mount adapter which I say is another 2” then a wall mount that is roughly 2”. That makes your TV now sticking out over 8” from the wall in a big cabinet not including the weight behind that is twice the weight of a MirageVision. Look at MirageVision TVs that are 2” thick and normal mounts can be used without having to pay for adaptors or high priced custom mounts.
One thing is that a Skyvue cannot be put in direct sunlight if needed meaning the TV is not powerful enough to be put outdoor to view the TV. They don’t make a claim to have a bright TV just a weatherized TV which I can say it looks like it could keep water out but there’s more to that to make it an outdoor TV.
Last thing is that Skyvue points out that we are a better TV then their TVs. How? Look at the website and click on compare. You will see they only compare to Sunbrite not ours. If they did it would make them look bad with price and specs all the way around so they just leave us out, I mean they know we are here but even they can’t make a better outdoor TV than us.
Stick to someone that has at least a warranty that is older than the company providing it. I see many come and go but we are one of the oldest and still leaders of innovation to outdoor TVs.

ny questions please feel free to contact me directly at 702-672-2099
post #45 of 56 Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 AM

I have been in the market for an outdoor tv for some time. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the info on SkyVues. I have done a lot of reseach over a lot of months and ended up going with a 46" Skyvue that I expect to arrive next week. If anyone else would like some additional reviews, I'll be glad to post my thoughts after I have it up and running.

I will say that I looked at and considered MirageVision in my buying process. But I would like to emphasize that even if I had been considering going with a MirageVision (I wasn't - their prices are certainly good, but the reviews are mixed, at best), MV Rep's performance in this thread and similar performances in other forums would have completely turned me off of the company. To me, it is extremely off-putting that someone who is supposed represent a company feels the need to come in, ruin a perfectly informative thread about a competitor's product with spam about his own, and be overly pushy and confrontational. Not to mention the failure to master even simple grammar. Simply put, if that's how MirageVision represents itself in a public forum, I'm quite pleased with my decision not to do business with them.
post #46 of 56 Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Well I have to say sorry bigskyirish we can’t please everyone on our products, in a matter of fact I have sent customers over to Skyvue when a color theme is needed. The reviews you have seen if your check the source is made on a website dedicated to Skyvue outdoor TVs and no one can leave a comment without it going through a gate keeper. My opinion on Skyvue is that it’s a good strong weatherized TV but not made for direct sunlight. Our TVs can’t handle abuse as much as Skyvue but we don’t have clients that have that problem. We have clients that need a thin, elegant TV that can handle outdoor environments. My job is not to post any bad threads on here at all, in a matter of fact I get more ghost members that jump right on and start badmouthing a company on its first day on a form and not just this form. Look Global Outdoor Concepts makes a great Outdoor TV and there’s a reason why we sell thousands a year and work with integrators. Like I stated I’m sorry for any mix feelings you may have, but if you based your sale on feelings rather than a product then that’s your thing.
It would be nice to see a company like C/Net or another major company would do a review on all outdoor TVs and provide Pros and Cons. I personally believe GOC has a better outdoor TV. I mean do you know any other company that sales the most advanced outdoor TVs including 4K TVs for the outdoors?
post #47 of 56 Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM

MV Rep - the point of my post was not to argue whether you have a better product or not. Maybe you do. I've seen good reviews about your product and bad reviews, just like I have about most outdoor tvs, including SkyVue. I chose SkyVue not because of "feelings," but because I thought it was the best product for my needs, based on the information available to me. I agree with you that it would be great if CNET or someone else would do a comprehensive review.

My point was that it is off-putting that you feel the need to ruin threads about competitors tvs by jumping in to pitch your own. Scroll back through this thread. It was a useful discussion about SkyVue tvs with members who have actually purchased SkyVues providing feedback. You jumped in, started pitching your own product and arguing with people and the thread died. If you want to start a conversation about GOC's tvs or even a conversation comparing GOC tv's to its competitors, start your own thread. There's no need to ruin a SkyVue-specific thread, or a Sunbrite-specific thread, or a Suera-specific thread, etc., by spamming it about MirageVision and then getting defensive about people "badmouthing" your company. This thread was about SkyVue until you got here and made it about something else.
GatorJZ likes this.
post #48 of 56 Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Well Pntbllxr it seems like you just join the form as of today and I see not introduction on who you are.

Now I seen this many times before as a competitor try to join on and say something and disappear after which I OK with it but to just come out from nowhere and start a form dispute is quite obvious to all.

This is an older model you are showing not like how our TVs are made today. Just because you can see a shell from the outside doesn’t me we don’t have protection that is inside. We protect the TV from the inside and out. As far as how strong yes the photo looks like a tank, but let’s face it if that is what sells we would all be driving tanks to work instead of thinking I rather have a super sports car. Even the most expensive car in the world doesn’t have air bags but does that make it cheap?
You see you may see only the shell but look closer at it. The thickness is showing on a Skyvue 46” at 4 1/8” and then need a wall mount adapter which I say is another 2” then a wall mount that is roughly 2”. That makes your TV now sticking out over 8” from the wall in a big cabinet not including the weight behind that is twice the weight of a MirageVision. Look at MirageVision TVs that are 2” thick and normal mounts can be used without having to pay for adaptors or high priced custom mounts.
One thing is that a Skyvue cannot be put in direct sunlight if needed meaning the TV is not powerful enough to be put outdoor to view the TV. They don’t make a claim to have a bright TV just a weatherized TV which I can say it looks like it could keep water out but there’s more to that to make it an outdoor TV.
Last thing is that Skyvue points out that we are a better TV then their TVs. How? Look at the website and click on compare. You will see they only compare to Sunbrite not ours. If they did it would make them look bad with price and specs all the way around so they just leave us out, I mean they know we are here but even they can’t make a better outdoor TV than us.
Stick to someone that has at least a warranty that is older than the company providing it. I see many come and go but we are one of the oldest and still leaders of innovation to outdoor TVs.

ny questions please feel free to contact me directly at 702-672-2099

No disappearing act here MV Rep. . .Still here. I was shopping around and definitely got some useful information from sunbrite, mirage and skyvue. I have been looking at reviews (forever it feels like) I was trying to justify spending over 4k on a tv to just leave it outside. Your response has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. RUDE. So with mirage out of the picture, it was a toss up between sunbrite and skyvue. sunbrite did not have brown or internet browser, i am kind of a techi and turns out a sales guy at skyvue recommended me to the 50" tv. They did not bad mouth their competitors at all, and were actually really helpful. When i receive it, i will let you guys know! fyi shipping was a little high, they said they ship it in a box-in-box design, like a tank and it is fully insured. made me feel better about my decision already!
gameyer11 likes this.
post #49 of 56 Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

It's been a while since I've posted. I just wanted to add that I'm still enjoying my Skyvue. I've watched countless football games in direct sunlight and it's always an enjoyable experience. I also love that it's built like a tank. When it rains...zero you-know-whats are given.

My next add will be some wireless headsets for me and the family. Not because the sound is poor on the Skyvue, it gets really loud, but because we watch movies later in the evening and some movies/shows (e.g., Game of Thrones)...let's just say you don't want your neighbors hearing the audio smile.gif.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #50 of 56 Old 11-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Im looking at buying the 60" skyvue.  I plan on using a 3rd party tv mount.  Do i have to buy the 3rd party mount adapater?

post #51 of 56 Old 12-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

From what I recall there is conflicting information. According to Skyvue, yes, you need the adapter. There's a user on this thread who purchased, I believe, a mono price wall mount and it worked perfectly. Maybe send that guy a PM to learn more about his experience.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #52 of 56 Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Thank's I'll try to PM him.

post #53 of 56 Old 12-04-2013, 12:31 PM

plauni - I have a 60" Skyvue and I bought their articulating mount, very stout and all stainless steel hardware.
It's this one here.... http://www.skyvue.com/content/60-articulatingtilt-mount
My friend has a 32" Skyvue and she used a store bought mount without any issues.
I guess it's somewhat dependent on the size/depth of the arms on the mount.
post #54 of 56 Old 12-04-2013, 02:01 PM
mnb

He did pm me and I'll put my replies here as well in case others are interested:

Based on the monoprice mount I bought, I didn't think I needed it.

However, I probably could have used it. I was able to get it to work by adding a few washers to get some depth. The end result is that I lost some tilting range, but the angle that it ended up at works fine for me.

If I had to do it again, I probably would have bought the adapter.

Also keep in mind that if you do end up using the adapter, it will push the tv that much more away from the wall.
post #55 of 56 Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM

Did you end up mounting this with the bracket from monoprice?  If so, did you need to purchase and adapter from Skyvue?

post #56 of 56 Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Sorry, should have read through the entire thread before asking that question.  Thanks for the information.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page