Skyvue Outdoor TV's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 62 Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a client who says he heard of Skyvue TV's and they are supposed to be really good. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they good? Don't want to get for a client if they aren't worth it.

Thanks.
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
https://www.facebook.com/SkyvueTV?ref=ts&fref=ts

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 62 Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM

I have one and I've been very impressed.
Excellent customer service, outstanding support and an overall quality product.

Surprisingly, the picture quality exceeded my current indoor TV. biggrin.gif
I can't wait for summer!cool.gif
post #4 of 62 Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 PM
mnb

They list these as high brightness TVs, do they seem any brighter than a normal led TV?

Just wondering how visible it will be on a bright day outside.

Thanks.
post #5 of 62 Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This past Saturday I installed a 46" Skyvue on my back patio (exposed to the elements). I'm really impressed with the build of this TV. The PQ looks amazing and it's way thinner than I thought it would be (it's thinner than my Samsug in the living room). Yesterday I watched it in direct sunlight and the picture was perfectly visible -- this was my biggest concern. I can't wait for football season!

Specs wise, the TV is impressive: wifi (although I ran an ethernet cable), smart tv (netflix, etc.), 120 hertz, included sound bar is great for outdoors, high contrast ratio. I also really like their "EZ Swap" design for down the road servicing.

I know this thread is a few months old but wanted to add some early impressions in case others are in the market.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #6 of 62 Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM
mnb

Thanks for posting this.

I have been on the fence with that exact same set.

So really must be brighter than a normal LCD if you can see it in direct sunlight? Or maybe it's the ar coating?
post #7 of 62 Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
mnb

Any chance you could post some pictures?
post #8 of 62 Old 05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post

Any chance you could post some pictures?

mnb,

I'll try snapping some pictures this afternoon. But it would actually be better if I could get a few pics tomorrow morning when the sun is shinning directly on it. The angle that my TV faces, it gets direct sun light until about 11:30 am.

Regarding visibility in direct sun light. Any TV, no matter how bright or type of AR coating used, will suffer a degradation of picture quality when in direct sun light. What was important to me was, is the picture viewable under these harsh conditions? And on this set it definitely is. Yesterday with direct sun light hitting I was clearly able to make out the show on ESPN. My buddy has an outdoor set up using an indoor Samsung model and you could barely make out the sporting event -- this was two weekends ago so my comparison is fairly recent.

And to answer your question, I believe it's a little of both (AR coating and brightness). The Skyvue uses an LED LCD panel which I believe provides a brighter picture. That coupled with the AR coating. Here's something that's interesting though. I have another buddy with a 32" Skyvue that he uses on his BBQ island. He purchased this set several years ago (he told 4-5 years ago) and his Skyvue is barely visible in direct sunlight. So they must have made some design changes along the way.

Standby for pictures...

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #9 of 62 Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

A couple more things before I forget. I purchased the following accessories which I highly recommend:

- the outdoor cover. It's really well made and fits the TV perfectly.
- RF remote extender from Amazon. If your cable box will be located behind walls.
- I needed a powered HDMI splitter which I got from monoprice for $23.
- articulating wall mount from SkyVue. A little more pricey than monoprice wall mounts but if you plan to use your own mount, Skyvue says you need to buy the adapter which will run you $110. Might as well buy their mount. Also monoprice didn't recommend using their mounts outdoors.
- I went with the included soundbar -- you can opt out and receive a credit of $120 bucks, but for the price I thought it was totally worth it. Unless you already have an outdoor audio set up that you can plug into, I highly recommend the soundbar.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #10 of 62 Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
mnb

I was planning in getting the cover as well as the IR extender ( the ones that replace your batteries). Definitely getting the sound bar too.

I'm assuming that the waterproof remote that comes with will not be able to control my cable box. That is what I've read at least. That it is not a multi-device remote. Which is pretty useless unless you are feeding the TV via an antenna.

I am planning on using a mono price mount. I think it may fit without the adapters from skyvue. The arms on the monoprice mount look almost identical to the arms that come with the skyvue one. I guess I'll find out. If not ill have to buy the adapter. I would just buy the skyvue mount to begin with but I need 180 degrees of movement, which theirs does not do.

I may try and swap out as many of the connectors on the mono price mount with stainless steel hardware. That will help as far as rust goes.
post #11 of 62 Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 PM
mnb

This is the mount I'm thinking will work. Doesn't it look pretty much like their swivel one except this one has more range?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8586&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
post #12 of 62 Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

For $40 it's worth a shot. If it doesn't fit you could always buy the adapter and still be a few bucks cheaper than the SkyVue articulating mount. I had an electrician install my TV (didn't want to mess with electrical outside). Since I had one opportunity I went with the mount that Skyvue sells just to be sure.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #13 of 62 Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 AM
mnb

Any luck with the pictures?

Although direct sunlight pictures would be good, also interested in how it looks when bright outside, but not necessarily directly in the sun.
post #14 of 62 Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

I snapped a few photos this morning on my cell. The pictures came out horrible (cell phone pics don't do well in really bright light) but it'll give you a sense for how it looks in daylight. I have to transfer the pictures to my computer and then I will post. Will try to get the up by this afternoon.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #15 of 62 Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Here are the pictures I snapped this morning. Unfortunately the cell phone pics came out overexposed due to the extreme light, but you at least get an idea for what the picture quality looks like. In my backyard, this would be the worst case scenario. Sun shinning directly and close to 100 degrees out. The actual PQ doesn't look as bad as the pictures depict -- the glare my camera picked up from the background makes it look worse than it actually is.

The second picture is probably the least flattering. I tried to find the worst angle that emitted the most amount of glare. For me it's tolerable because I can easily move left of right or tilt the screen to reduce the glare. Not a big issue.

The third pic shows you the depth of the TV. I was expecting it to be much thicker. Really happy with the form factor.

My backyard is a bit of mess at the moment as we're finishing up a reno, but when it's all cleaned up this weekend I'll take better pictures with my canon so you can see the overall aesthetics and PQ.

As an aside, where you put the TV will become a focal point. Now that we have the TV up the red brick is an eyesore. I plan to veneer it this weekend. Just a FYI in case you plan to put it in a less than appealing spot.

TV Glare.png 341k .png file

TV Glare 2.png 947k .png file

TV Glare side view.png 396k .png file
Attached Images
File Type: png TV Glare.png (341.3 KB, 418 views)
File Type: png TV Glare side view.png (395.7 KB, 295 views)
File Type: png TV Glare 2.png (946.8 KB, 291 views)

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #16 of 62 Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM
mnb

Thanks for posting. Looks pretty good considering how bright it is outside.

Funny, I'll probably be putting mine on the brick chimney as well. It should look fine.
post #17 of 62 Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

I actually didn't mind the brick previously but my wife has always disliked the look. After getting the TV up though I agree that it would look nicer if we were to reface it. What you can't see from the picture is the nearby fire pit with stacked stone veneer. The two materials clash and now it's more apparent since it's a focal point. That's probably why it sticks out. In another environment it would probably look perfectly fine. I guess I'll be dusting off the wet tile saw this weekend.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #18 of 62 Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 PM
mnb

Can you confirm that the waterproof remote will just control the TV? Anyway to get it to control a cable box?
post #19 of 62 Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure it controls the TV only and not the cable box. I'll tinker with it tonight but did not see a feature to control cable box.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #20 of 62 Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM
mnb

Sorry, one more question for you.

What type of fasteners did you use to mount to the brick?

Thanks.
post #21 of 62 Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post

Sorry, one more question for you.

What type of fasteners did you use to mount to the brick?

Thanks.

No worries. Actually I'm not sure because I had someone install it -- for $200 they ran the utilities, conduit for cables, and mounted the TV. I didn't catch if he used the fasteners that came with mount or substituted with ones made specifically for brick/masonry. Whatever he used it's solid because we both hung from it. What I'd suggest is asking monoprice (I like their live chat). Tell them you're going to install on brick and have a 46" tv. They'll recommend a specific one for you. Some of their mounts say "for brick install only" so it's good to double check. I can't wait for my first sporting event...been watching basketball by myself. Will be great to have friends over.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #22 of 62 Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM
mnb

With that mount do you actually get the ability to tilt up and down as much as they say? Looks like since the arms are attached in between where the TV bumps out that there is not much clearance to actually tilt.

I will run into the same situation with the mono price mount if I don't buy the adapter.
post #23 of 62 Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

I am able to tilt the TV down as far as the mount allows without obstruction from the back of the TV. I had to loosen the bolt that allows the TV to tilt, at first it was on too tight. But now I'm able to tilt it all the way. I believe Skyvue says this mount tilts up to 15 degrees.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #24 of 62 Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

I just wanted to add that we've been really enjoying the TV. The picture is nicer than my larger Samsung in my living room -- granted my Samsung is 4 years old, but with about the same major specs (1080p, 120 hz, etc.). I watched Madagascar 3 with my daughter this evening and the PQ was amazing. And the sound bar can get loud. I listen at about 10% volume and it sounds great. My only regret was not getting this TV sooner.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #25 of 62 Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 AM
mnb

Well, I hope you're right! I pulled the trigger two days ago. Will be here Monday.

I've been debating on getting a 'real' out door tv for a couple years now. Last year I bought a 47 inch vizio and put it in a waterproof small patio shed like container. It was okay for what we needed but because it has no ar screen, reflections were an issue. Also making sure to close and lock the box and open and unlock the box became a pain. Looking forward to just having something hanging on the wall that I can start up with a push of a button.

Can't wait to get this thing up and running!
post #26 of 62 Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats! You'll definitely enjoy your new TV. I too thought about using an indoor tv 'out', but wanted the convenience factor and AR properties of an outdoor set. You'll have to share some picture after you've got it up.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #27 of 62 Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

mnb, when you get yours set up let me know what you think about the sound bar. Holy cow it gets loud. I have my volume set to 6-7 on average, and it looks like it would go up to 100. I guess in really noisy areas it would be useful. It also gets louder if you set the audio to "surround" mode.

By the way, navigating to the apps (Netflix, etc.) is a bit wonky. If you can't figure it out let me know. Took me 20 mins and a beer to find it.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #28 of 62 Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM
mnb

TV is waiting for me at home. Was delivered today. Mount and long hdmi coming tomorrow. Hope to have it up and running by the weekend, I'll let you know my impressions.
post #29 of 62 Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
mnb

TV is up. Very happy with it. Even as bright as it is outside today, it's still watchable. That ar coating makes a huge difference.

I agree it's a little tough to get to the apps. It says you can program an app fav button but not sure how yet.

What settings are you using? For when its bright out I think the dynamic is the brightest, but not sure if I am missing a setting that could make it better.

Also noticed when watching last night that normal shows had the soap opera effect going. Do you know what I can turn off to fix that?

I'll upload some pics shortly.
post #30 of 62 Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 AM
mnb

Pics showing flat against wall and one showing the 90 degree ability of that mount.

photo 1.JPG 3030k .JPG file

photo 2.JPG 3221k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (2.96 MB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (3.15 MB, 233 views)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays