5 year old sony LCD better than any new tv ive seen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm new here, but I wanted to post this to see if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. I have a Sony 40v2500. I got it 5 years ago. Since then I haven't seen any new tv that has looked as good as the sony.

My parents bought a Samsung UN40ES6100 yesterday. After doing my calibration, it still doesn't look as good as mine. My tv always had a crisp image, HD looks fantastic, and SD quality looks great.

I tried out some .avi files i had on a thumb drive on the samsung, and they looked worse on the samsung, much blurrier. Black level on my sony looks better too.

I really don't know what it is. Maybe because my older sony is as basic as you can get. Before they starting adding all the extra motion features, etc.

Anyone have the same experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I owned a V2000. After that i bought a xbr4/5, after that a xbr8. The V2000 isn't anyway near those TVs.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
You havent seen many tvs in the past 5 years would be my guess. They had better tvs 5 years ago than that model.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG518 View Post

You havent seen many tvs in the past 5 years would be my guess. They had better tvs 5 years ago than that model.

+1

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgp View Post

i'm new here, but I wanted to post this to see if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. I have a Sony 40v2500. I got it 5 years ago. Since then I haven't seen any new tv that has looked as good as the sony.

My parents bought a Samsung UN40ES6100 yesterday. After doing my calibration, it still doesn't look as good as mine. My tv always had a crisp image, HD looks fantastic, and SD quality looks great.

I tried out some .avi files i had on a thumb drive on the samsung, and they looked worse on the samsung, much blurrier. Black level on my sony looks better too.

I really don't know what it is. Maybe because my older sony is as basic as you can get. Before they starting adding all the extra motion features, etc.

Anyone have the same experience?

Like someone else said, you obviously haven't seen all the tv's out there.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I just purchased a Sony 950. PQ is awesome

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Liked: 10
OP-
I agree with what your saying to some extent. I think the LED TV's have a better picture overall, but I have yet to see one where I don't see a little more motion blur than on either of my Toshiba's (42XV545u & 47ZV650u - both are CCFL). When my wife and I looked at the display sets at Best Buy, Fry's, etc, we saw the same thing on most TV's. I know the displays are not going to have any calibration or adjustments, but it was very noticeable on almost all sets. It was less noticeable on the higher end Samsung & Sony models.

We just purchased a Samsung UN40ES7500 and as much as I love the TV and the features, I can still see some degree of blur during fast motion scenes on any show. Its better now that I've used some of the settings from AVS, but the motion on our Toshiba sets are better on the same shows.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
^^Sony has the motion blur figured out. wink.gif my Sony 950 is excellent for sports no "motion blur". I also owned a Sony VW90ES and that also is excellent at sports...no motion blur. If that was the case of Sony having motion blur while watching sports a lot of consumers would be upset. I recommend doing some research before making a broad statement like that.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln

Tags
Samsung Un40es6100 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv , Toshiba Regza 47zv650u 47 Inch Lcd Hdtv Clearscan 240