Official 2013 Sony W802A series LED TVs (KDL-xxW802A) --- 47" and 55" --- Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1201 Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

OK. I believe I had that turned off. Before I continue, I would just like to say that I used the Monitor Performance screen of the THX Optimizer yesterday and a week before yesterday. How come the white portions were eye-piercing the week before yesterday? Could the shop I was in the week before yesterday have accidently shown me the wrong model? You'd think that with the settings I posted earlier today that you'd get the eye-piercing whites I'm talking about. I'm surprised how similar the R450A and W802A screens looked yesterday, compared to a week before yesterday!

Have you considered turning clear white on? I used It when I had the W8 and thought it made a much improved difference, haven't really needed it on my W9 tho...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1201 Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertjo View Post

Quote:

OK. I believe I had that turned off. Before I continue, I would just like to say that I used the Monitor Performance screen of the THX Optimizer yesterday and a week before yesterday. How come the white portions were eye-piercing the week before yesterday? Could the shop I was in the week before yesterday have accidently shown me the wrong model? You'd think that with the settings I posted earlier today that you'd get the eye-piercing whites I'm talking about. I'm surprised how similar the R450A and W802A screens looked yesterday, compared to a week before yesterday!

Have you considered turning clear white on? I used It when I had the W8 and thought it made a much improved difference, haven't really needed it on my W9 tho...
Will turning on Clear White brighten the other colors? Also, what does the Preferences>Scene Select do?
post #363 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Right now, I'm living with my older sister and her family. They have a 2010-model Bravia, which I believe is CCF backlit. It does have a lot of similar features to the LED backlit models, such as Adv. Contrast Enhancer, Black Corrector, Clear White, and Live Color. With my sister's 2010 Bravia, I get the best results with those things off. I also tried increasing the RGB bias. It made it a little brighter, but the colors weren't as ritch.
post #364 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

What about Preferences>Front Panel Illumination>Illumination LED? Does that mean the screen area? Or is that LED indicators on the frame outside the screen area?
post #365 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

What about Preferences>Front Panel Illumination>Illumination LED? Does that mean the screen area? Or is that LED indicators on the frame outside the screen area?

Just thing LED light at the bottom.

Under Scene Select you have:

Auto
Auto 24p sync
General
Cinema
Sports
Music
Animation
Photo
Game
Graphics

Some make the screen bright, some dim it.
post #366 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLyons1977 View Post

Quote:

Just thing LED light at the bottom.

Under Scene Select you have:

Auto
Auto 24p sync
General
Cinema
Sports
Music
Animation
Photo
Game
Graphics

Some make the screen bright, some dim it.
Will the choice you make from Scene Select affect what options are available in the picture settings/adjustments menu? I remember reading in one of the Sony manuals that in order to gain access to everything in the picture settings/adjustments menu, you had to set Scene Select to General. Wouldn't the custom settings I posted yesterday give off the brightest picture, without distortion?
post #367 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 11
I set mine up sunday and have light bleed in the corners.
post #368 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeptik View Post

I set mine up sunday and have light bleed in the corners.

If it's bad enough to send back anyway as defective, (and only if), maybe press lightly on the corners and see if you hear a faint popping sound and see if the bleed goes away?

Nutcase idea in general, but....FWIW, the 60" LM7200 (2012 LG model----one with a regular chassis/bezel, not the solid 1-peice facing glass of their other mid-high end models) had some folks able to "reseat" the tolerances (or something else magical happened---don't ask me) and the LED/lightguides no longer "leaked".

Don't blame me if this ruins anything. And for this reason alone, understand that I'm merely reporting on the LM7200 thread findings of posters there, and not suggesting anything at all, and in general recommending you do not try it.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #369 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM

I am thinking if this is the best Sony can do for the $ I will move on. I like the overall picture quality (not any better than the SXRD it replaced, just missing the tinge) but the spotlighting has to go. I looked at the panasonic plasma and it looked like I was staring at an old flourecent light, kind of raw and flickery. Is that normal for a plasma?
post #370 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 AM

Oh sorry, and thanks I will try punching the screen in the corners when I get home... That is after I waste an hour on the phone with Sony tech. Im sure they will have me turning the brightness down until the rest of the screen is too dark and then try to tell me its fixed. Hopefully I can find my old test pattern DVD somewhere.
post #371 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeptik View Post

Oh sorry, and thanks I will try punching the screen in the corners when I get home... That is after I waste an hour on the phone with Sony tech. Im sure they will have me turning the brightness down until the rest of the screen is too dark and then try to tell me its fixed. Hopefully I can find my old test pattern DVD somewhere.

When someone can find a TV with no light bleed let me know.
post #372 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

None of the PC Richard stores have the W900A at the time of this post. So when I went to them the first or second time, I'm thinking that they might have mistakenly shown me either the XBR-55HX950A or the XBR-55X900A. I went to two different PC Richard locations each time. My point is that I find it strange that after checking out a Panasonic S60 plasma, a Sony R450A, and a Sony W802a that at the first PC Richard location I went to the first week, the W802A looked the best. Yet at the second PC Richard location I went to the second week, all three TVs looked like the S60 and the R450A I looked at at the first location the first week. Something just doesn't add up!
post #373 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Will the choice you make from Scene Select affect what options are available in the picture settings/adjustments menu? I remember reading in one of the Sony manuals that in order to gain access to everything in the picture settings/adjustments menu, you had to set Scene Select to General. Wouldn't the custom settings I posted yesterday give off the brightest picture, without distortion?

I mean I don't know how bright you want. Haha. My setting levels are a bit lower then yours and its fine on my end.
post #374 of 1201 Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

None of the PC Richard stores have the W900A at the time of this post. So when I went to them the first or second time, I'm thinking that they might have mistakenly shown me either the XBR-55HX950A or the XBR-55X900A. I went to two different PC Richard locations each time. My point is that I find it strange that after checking out a Panasonic S60 plasma, a Sony R450A, and a Sony W802a that at the first PC Richard location I went to the first week, the W802A looked the best. Yet at the second PC Richard location I went to the second week, all three TVs looked like the S60 and the R450A I looked at at the first location the first week. Something just doesn't add up!
Jeff (or anyone else following this), it's not necessarily about how bright I want it. It's the inconsistancies that are bothering me, especially being that the supposed W802A I checked out at the first location the first week looked the best, even after I disabled all power saving features at the second location the second week. By the way, in case anyone is thinking that it would be a good idea for me to check out either the HX950A, W900A, or X900A, Sony doesn't make those series in a size which will fit on my bottom shelf. That's why I'm considering either the Panasonic TC-P42S60 plasma, the Sony KDL-46R453A, or the Sony KDL-47W802A.
post #375 of 1201 Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff (or anyone else following this), it's not necessarily about how bright I want it. It's the inconsistancies that are bothering me, especially being that the supposed W802A I checked out at the first location the first week looked the best, even after I disabled all power saving features at the second location the second week. By the way, in case anyone is thinking that it would be a good idea for me to check out either the HX950A, W900A, or X900A, Sony doesn't make those series in a size which will fit on my bottom shelf. That's why I'm considering either the Panasonic TC-P42S60 plasma, the Sony KDL-46R453A, or the Sony KDL-47W802A.
I was so glad when I got two opertunities to go on location and check out the TVs I'm considering. I figured that it would clarify things and I'd be able to walk out with a decision. Instead, I only ended up with another problem in the decision making process.
post #376 of 1201 Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 PM

Liked: 10
Hi guys, im a newbie and i bought the 55w802a, i was so happy until i read all this comments on this thread, it turn me down when i read that SONY was using LG screens on their TVs,and that the tv was not worth the $$$$$, so i had my tv for 2 weeks, picture is REALLY REALLY GOOD, only thins is the sound not really good, but ur buying a tv, not home theater, so after 2 weeks my tv shut off on me, 3 times, i call sony, they told me to check on the ECO mode, and i did, all the options under the ECO mode were set to off, so they told me to call back, but is a new tv and dont wanted to go the way, so i return it to the store and i got the samsung 55F7100, well BIG MISTAKE, even though it has the 240hz and the 720 motion thing, it does not compare at all to the SONY, i mean not even close, for some reason the sony look more rich and with more details in the image, even is only 120hz, i think is cause of SONYs video chip, i regret it, and i dont know if can return it back to the store and grab the sony again. frown.gif
post #377 of 1201 Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETORIOS1984 View Post

Hi guys, im a newbie and i bought the 55w802a, i was so happy until i read all this comments on this thread, it turn me down when i read that SONY was using LG screens on their TVs,and that the tv was not worth the $$$$$, so i had my tv for 2 weeks, picture is REALLY REALLY GOOD, only thins is the sound not really good, but ur buying a tv, not home theater, so after 2 weeks my tv shut off on me, 3 times, i call sony, they told me to check on the ECO mode, and i did, all the options under the ECO mode were set to off, so they told me to call back, but is a new tv and dont wanted to go the way, so i return it to the store and i got the samsung 55F7100, well BIG MISTAKE, even though it has the 240hz and the 720 motion thing, it does not compare at all to the SONY, i mean not even close, for some reason the sony look more rich and with more details in the image, even is only 120hz, i think is cause of SONYs video chip, i regret it, and i dont know if can return it back to the store and grab the sony again. frown.gif
You could always return the Samsung, tell the store that its picture quality wasn't as good, that you'll give the Sony another chance, and that it's possible that the particular Sony unit you got was just a fluke.
post #378 of 1201 Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are my settings:

Picture

Picture Mode = Custom

Backlight = Max

Picture = Max

Brightness = 50

Color = 50

Hue = 0

Sharpness = Min

Color Temperature = Neutral

Noise Reduction = Off

MPEG Noise Reduction = Off

Motionflow = Off

CineMotion = Auto 1

Advanced

Adv. Contrast Enhancer = Off

Black Corrector = Off

Gamma = Max

Clear White = Off

Live Color = Off

LED Motion = Off

3D Settings

Auto 3D = On

3D Signal Notification = On

Preferences

Eco

Power Saving = Off

Light Sensor = Off

Will what you choose for Scene Select change these actual settings? Also, is it possible that what you choose for Scene Select could maintain these settings, but still give different results, such as brighter whites?
post #379 of 1201 Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BETORIOS1984 View Post

I saw the W802a in person. This TV is better than the F8000 Samsung, leave alone the F7100.
BETORIOS1984 likes this.
post #380 of 1201 Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

I saw the W802a in person. This TV is better than the F8000 Samsung, leave alone the F7100.

Better is a relative term. From what I've seen with my own experience so far, the F8000 has indeed, as been promised, eliminated clouding this year. Can the Sony say that? And the F8000 has active 3D which has better resolution than passive. The Sony W800a has active which may rival Samsungs, though early reviews say the crosstalk is higher in the Sony than the Samsung.
post #381 of 1201 Old 05-23-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

Better is a relative term. From what I've seen with my own experience so far, the F8000 has indeed, as been promised, eliminated clouding this year. Can the Sony say that? And the F8000 has active 3D which has better resolution than passive. The Sony W800a has active which may rival Samsungs, though early reviews say the crosstalk is higher in the Sony than the Samsung.

800? You mean 900? The W802A is passive.

And I'm not sure what your experience with passive is, but if you haven't you've got to try it before passing judgement on the vertical resolution. It's truly surprising how smooth that thing is. I've seen both and I'll take passive any day of the week. And no, I never expected this.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #382 of 1201 Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 AM

After two weeks and trial and error, these are my setting for a relatively dark room, tv connected to uverse box hdmi:
Picture adjustment :
picture mode: sport
Backlight :8
picture: 90
brightness : 55
color: 85
Hue g2
color temperature: neutral
Sharpness : 40
noise reduction : off
Mpeg noise reduction:off
Dot noise reduction off
Reality creation : manual
Video area detection off
Resolution: 35
noise filtering:min
Smooth gradation :off
Motionflow off
Cinemotion off
Advanced settings
Black corrector: high
Adv. Contract enhancer: off
Gamma 0
auto light limiter off
Clear white low
Live color low
White balance: unchanged
Detail enhancer off
Edge enhancer off
Skin naturalizer off
Pro picture setup:
Dynamic range full
Sbm: on

Setting : preferences
Scene select : sports
Eco
Power saving : off
Scene select sync : off
Light sensor off

Well this is my two cents, I used this settings for cable box, spear & munsil hd bench mark and for sports: soocer and basketball were used for testing
Will post different settings for blu ray media
ask any question
post #383 of 1201 Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLyons1977 View Post

When someone can find a TV with no light bleed let me know.
I sent a picture of the spot lighting to Sony. Thier official stand on the issue is "this is called mura and it is normal". Aparently Sony's quality control level has dropped to the point that even thier $2000 TV will have inconsistent backlighting that we are expected to accept as "normal". I am going to contact someone a little further up the chain to see if they will verify the comments of the 2 phone techs I spoke with, If they do it will be good by Sony and hello Panasonic ST60.
post #384 of 1201 Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Liked: 16
Great news for all current or potential W802a series owners. This tv has officially been rated the new champion for gamers with only 6ms of tested input lag, via Trustedreviews.com.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #385 of 1201 Old 05-27-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony finally has an online I-manual for this series, which will help me set it up better next time I check it out at one of the stores. Through reading it, I discovered that there is also a KDL-42W800A model available for this set.

Another thing: This series uses an IPS panel, because IPS panels specificly come in sizes of 42 inches and 47 inches within the 40-50-inch size range.
post #386 of 1201 Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 AM

Sony lowered the price to $1300, might be time to pull the trigger!
post #387 of 1201 Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 AM

yeah,If I was to replace my tv, which I aint!, I would pass. thanks for your sharing 15.gif
post #388 of 1201 Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGunHD View Post

Yes this Tv is a console gamers dream come true with a tested input lag of only 6ms. As far as I'm concerned nothing will even come close to the performance of this set in gaming this year, making it the must have buy for Xbox One and PS4. I've just convinced myself that this is the tv I'm buying next week. I do understand the reviews slamming the black level but if its better or the same as my 3 year old Sony Ex720 than it shouldn't be a problem. Also it's the most awesome looking tv design wise.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #389 of 1201 Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGunHD View Post

Yes this Tv is a console gamers dream come true with a tested input lag of only 6ms. As far as I'm concerned nothing will even come close to the performance of this set in gaming this year, making it the must have buy for Xbox One and PS4. I've just convinced myself that this is the tv I'm buying next week. I do understand the reviews slamming the black level but if its better or the same as my 3 year old Sony Ex720 than it shouldn't be a problem. Also it's the most awesome looking tv design wise.
I said this before about its black levels. I compared it to a Panasonic plasma, and I am perfectly happy with the 802's black levels. I just hope I can get it to produce eye-piercing whites, like I got it to do the first time. Of course, the height between my bottom shelf and one shelf up from that is 26.5 inches, the exactly specified height of the KDL-47W802A with its stand attached. So if it turns out not to fit, I'll have to go with the KDL-46R453A, which might have its own benefits over the 802A resulting from its direct LED backlighting. I guess now it's simply a waiting game for at least the A/V section of the house to be finished up and to get the TV.
post #390 of 1201 Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 AM

Although Sony has not bothered to reply to my request for additional comments about the light bleed, my screen is now perfect. I think maybe it had something to do with shipping and the light guides. It got progressively better over the past 7 days. Having seen the ST60 and the W802 side by side I prefer the W802, I cant get used to the plasma flicker. Hopefully the screen stays nice because Sony phone tech is some of the worst I have ever dealt with.
Robertjo likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 55w802a 55 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Bravia 40inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx750 Kdl 40hx750
Gear in this thread - Hx750 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page