Official 2013 Sony W802A series LED TVs (KDL-xxW802A) --- 47" and 55" --- Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 1197 Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Member
 
LeeC22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, I went and sat on the floor in front of the W8 and W9 in PCWorld for 15 minutes. After some lengthy scrutinising, I couldn't see any real difference between the two sets. Certainly none to justify the extra cost of the W9. They both did exhibit very slight darkening around all 4 sides, about 1cm - 2cm wide at the edges, I hope I can get used to it. I've seen it on every one I have looked at, so I presume it is a result of the design in some way.

I'm quite convinced they must have thought I was mental though, as I sat on the floor, then wandered round the sets, tilting my head, peering over the top of sets further back. After doing that, I promptly came home, and searched for the best deal online.

For anyone in the North West/Midlands of England, DirectTVs has the KDL-47W805 for £879, complete with a 5 year Sony guarantee. You have to buy in-store though, they can't sell Sony sets online apparently. So I drove over there (only about 40 miles from where I am), ordered the set, and I just have to go back to collect it.

Now I just have to wait... not very good at waiting. Hopefully, it will be there tomorrow.

Certainly been helpful reading all the info in this thread, definitely helps towards making a good decision.
LeeC22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 1197 Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Member
 
Sehej Rana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1-Adobe View Post

Hey Guys I am new here.
y
I just recently purchased this TV and so far I am really unhappy with it.


When set to general settings the picture clarity looks awesome, but the colors are off (movies, tv, and video games). It seems to have issues with greens and yellows. It is hard to explain but it does not look right


I set it to the Cinema setting ( the one that seems popular right now). The colors look way better like they should, but you lose a lot of the picture clarity and you don't get that HD pop anymore.



Is this normal, or this thing broken?

Just purchased the tv this monday and I also faced the same issue when i changed my settings to cinema1 the picture became dark and dull and all colours seemed off. Than i found the problem the light sensor was on. By turning it off the whole picture completely changed. i had to dial down the back light all the way to 4 from 7. The picture also really pops. the only change i make to cinema1 is the backlight. For day time viewing i keep it at 5 and in dim lights keep it at 2. Hope this helps.
Sehej Rana is offline  
post #813 of 1197 Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Mr. Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeC22 View Post

Well, I went and sat on the floor in front of the W8 and W9 in PCWorld for 15 minutes. After some lengthy scrutinising, I couldn't see any real difference between the two sets. Certainly none to justify the extra cost of the W9. They both did exhibit very slight darkening around all 4 sides, about 1cm - 2cm wide at the edges, I hope I can get used to it. I've seen it on every one I have looked at, so I presume it is a result of the design in some way.

I'm quite convinced they must have thought I was mental though, as I sat on the floor, then wandered round the sets, tilting my head, peering over the top of sets further back. After doing that, I promptly came home, and searched for the best deal online.

For anyone in the North West/Midlands of England, DirectTVs has the KDL-47W805 for £879, complete with a 5 year Sony guarantee. You have to buy in-store though, they can't sell Sony sets online apparently. So I drove over there (only about 40 miles from where I am), ordered the set, and I just have to go back to collect it.

Now I just have to wait... not very good at waiting. Hopefully, it will be there tomorrow.

Certainly been helpful reading all the info in this thread, definitely helps towards making a good decision.
Very helpful post.
Thank you.smile.gif
Mr. Mojo is offline  
post #814 of 1197 Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Newbie
 
10DeeQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10DeeQ View Post

hi, i'm from Indonesia and i'm moving to a new home this week
im buying 2 HDTV 1 for living room and 1 for the bed room
i've done my research and most likely i'll buy Sony KDL-70R550A for the living room ( actually i wanted the Panasonic plasma 65VT60G but i'm afraid that there's too much light in the living room
and my elderly parents were the one who gonna use it more and they watch TVs all day long so i think the sony will be better for them
and for my bedroom im in a little bit of dillema here.
i've narrowed down my choices to

this sony KDL-47W804A ( i think this is the same as yours W802A only region differences ? )
or
last year model KDL-46HX855 (it comes with free bunchin,, i supposed its the speaker bar below the TV ? )

the price of both of the TV are the same
so i've no idea which one to choose as the last time i bought a TV is like 10 years ago and still going strong, its the Sony rear projection 46" .

which one should i get ?

i like the free "bunchin" from the HX855 design but i planned to put the tv on the wall in my bed room so i think it wouldnt be usefull for me.

please advice, thank you.


anyone that are experienced in HDTV care to advice ?
thhank you.
10DeeQ is offline  
post #815 of 1197 Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,931
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10DeeQ View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10DeeQ View Post

hi, i'm from Indonesia and i'm moving to a new home this week
im buying 2 HDTV 1 for living room and 1 for the bed room
i've done my research and most likely i'll buy Sony KDL-70R550A for the living room ( actually i wanted the Panasonic plasma 65VT60G but i'm afraid that there's too much light in the living room
and my elderly parents were the one who gonna use it more and they watch TVs all day long so i think the sony will be better for them
and for my bedroom im in a little bit of dillema here.
i've narrowed down my choices to

this sony KDL-47W804A ( i think this is the same as yours W802A only region differences ? )
or
last year model KDL-46HX855 (it comes with free bunchin,, i supposed its the speaker bar below the TV ? )

the price of both of the TV are the same
so i've no idea which one to choose as the last time i bought a TV is like 10 years ago and still going strong, its the Sony rear projection 46" .

which one should i get ?

i like the free "bunchin" from the HX855 design but i planned to put the tv on the wall in my bed room so i think it wouldnt be usefull for me.

please advice, thank you.


anyone that are experienced in HDTV care to advice ?
thhank you.

 

If that's the non-US variant of the US KDL-46HX850, then the 850 is technically a better TV.  I personally would take the W802 over it because I don't like active 3D and passive 3D is important to me.  However the level of importance I place upon passive 3D is somewhat rare....You haven't mentioned 3D, so the 850 seems the obvious choice (if it's the same set).  Over here at least, it's a very solid performer.


WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #816 of 1197 Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Newbie
 
scohen158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so after going crazy trying to figure out which TV to get I went with this one. I will have it in a week from tomorrow. So beyond the insane confusion reading review after review it almost sounds like every TV is crap lol. I have one question I am upgrading from a Sony KDL-32XBR6 to the 55 inch W802A. Can I at least expect the same picture quality just on a larger scale? If so I will be happy.

Thanks
scohen158 is offline  
post #817 of 1197 Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Member
 
VintageBullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I bought a M601D-A3R and I am noticing minor ghosting while playing games and watching movies. I'm looking at the 55" W802. Can anyone confirm if there is any ghosting and is the color on this tv rich and glorious ?
VintageBullet is offline  
post #818 of 1197 Old 09-07-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 137
This is for the Canadian folks, Best Buy Canada made a mistake on the pricing for this tv. The Sony W802A -70" for the same price of a 55"!

I would jump on that and make them give it to you for that insane price. biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #819 of 1197 Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Cla55clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

This is for the Canadian folks, Best Buy Canada made a mistake on the pricing for this tv. The Sony W802A -70" for the same price of a 55"!

I would jump on that and make them give it to you for that insane price. biggrin.gif

I didn't know the W802A even came in a 70" flavor.
Cla55clown is offline  
post #820 of 1197 Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

I didn't know the W802A even came in a 70" flavor.

Sorry my fault, it's not for the w802, they have that price for a 70" but you are right , there is no 70" W802, only 70"R550.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #821 of 1197 Old 09-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Member
 
j-rod21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey bud. I had same model Vizio and returned it for the 802. I really loved almost any still picture on the Viz...looked like art work it was so beautiful -- very impressive. However, whenever there was moving action on the screen, the picture more or less went to **** with jutter or carboard-type hyper motion flow. After seeing the 802 in store it was tuff to love the viz. Games were only ok on the Viz with slight but (in my opinion noticable) lag. The 3d was epic on the Viz, poss better than the 802 but then the screen was slightly bigger. Prometheus was a near spiritual moment for me and the gf very impressed however, the HObbit looked chunky and synthetic, Return of the Jedi looked just horrendous which was the final straw for me. Took it back and couldnt be more relieved that I did. Call of Duty in 3D is unlike anything I could have imagined -- in my opinion it is like an all new game experience...cannot say enuff good about that one. All the same movies mentioned looked significantly better, richer and more filmlike on the 802; as to Prometheus, I would have to re-watch it in it's entirety to make a fair comparison, I only watched a few select cool scenes and they were epic but lacked the intense hyper-augmentation of the Vizio which worked for that movie ONLY but not for other films. ALso, was not impressed by animation ex Ice Age and the like -- never seemed to get the picture to pop quite like the samsungs which was weird considering how much the Viz tweaked the picture in almost every other instance. Main reason I returned the Viz was that with all of the "features" which only worked in select situations could not be fully disabled, leaving me with a perpetually over-amp'd picture. Vizio is almost there but lacks the immensely powerful processing power of the Sony -- you can really feel the difference. Also, the 802 displays TV signals much better as well -- more like a proper CRT.
Hope it helps bro. Cheers!
j-rod21 is offline  
post #822 of 1197 Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Member
 
j-rod21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have good setting for watching NFL on CBS? I think CBS output resolution is 1080i. Using Time Warner Cable as my provider.
j-rod21 is offline  
post #823 of 1197 Old 09-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Newbie
 
gmcjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod21 View Post

Anyone have good setting for watching NFL on CBS? I think CBS output resolution is 1080i. Using Time Warner Cable as my provider.


I've been using these settings and they work really good for motion.
Scene - Sport
Backlight - 5
Picture -90
Brightness - 50
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Color Temp - Warm 1
Sharpness - 50
Noise Reduction - off
MPEG NR - off
Dot Noise - off
Reality Creation - Manual
Video Area Dection - off
Resolution - 15
Noise Filtering - min
Smooth Graduation - Low
Motionflow - Clear
CineMotion - Auto
Advanced
Black Corrector - off
Adv. Contrast - Low
Gamma - -2
Auto Light Limiter - off
Clear White - off
Live Color - off
White Balance - 0,0,-2,0,0,0
Detail Enhancer - off
Edge Enhancer - off
Skin Enhancer - off
gmcjj is offline  
post #824 of 1197 Old 09-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Member
 
LeeC22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Had my TV for a couple of days now, and on the whole, I am impressed with it.

Panel uniformity is not 100%, but the only real problem area, is in the bottom left corner. Given that the bottom of the screen is more likely to have irregular content, I can live with that. I could exchange it, but I could then end up with the problem at the top, which will show up against skies etc... As with every other W8/W9 set I have looked at, it has the same edge darkening all the way round, so I know I can't change it to get rid of that. I'd be amazed if one of these existed without that problem, but it's liveable with... just about. I have seen cases of DSE, but again, I think it's something I can tolerate, especially seeing as there doesn't seem to be a DSE free set in existence, based on what I have read.

Colour calibration is going to be a problem, because all the recommended settings I have seen up to now, are based on Warm 2, and I simply cannot stand any calibration based on warm settings. Too many years as a professional computer artist, with a 6500k calibrated screen. So I think colour settings are going to be down to my preference, rather than someone else's settings. I did try some of the recommended settings, but immediately did a reset, and went back to cool/neutral. I think I'm going to work on the same principle I do with PC monitors. I calibrate my monitors to the temperature I prefer, and that setting works for all content, games, art and movies. If it's right, it's right for everything. If it's not right compared to the "expert" review sites, then that's just the way it's going to be.

I can't be doing with switching in different "Scene" modes, depending on what I'm watching. If all my consoles/blu-ray players were on separate inputs, then it might work... but everything runs through my amp, so it all comes in through one input. So it's going to be one input = one setting. I've only got my PS3 for two games anyway, Minna No Golf 5 & 6, and they both look fine. Minna 5 supports 3D, and that works well. Only tried one other 3D Blu-ray up to now, and that works well. The included glasses are typically cheap Sony accessories, but they seem to work, so that's not too bad.

Sound quality is better than my old Samsung, it clearly pays to use a thicker case, to allow for bigger speakers. Response and startup time are decent, so no complaints there. Interface is the typically horrible XMB style, but once the set is set up properly, I won't spend much time in there. I don't bother with streaming services etc... so I have no need to go in there for them.

Mirroring my Xperia Tablet Z worked okay, once I had found the little square on the back of the tablet, that you had to rub the one-touch remote against. Although I immediately discovered something they don't make clear in the mirroring videos. It uses your wifi connection, so if you only have the wifi tablet, you can't use any internet services in mirrored mode... so much for big screen internet browsing.

I think it helps coming from four year old tech, because pretty much everything is better. So where some places might complain about mediocre black levels etc... compared to what I had, they are excellent. Given that I've just gone to a 3D, 47 inch set, with built in wifi and built in streaming services, for around a third of the price that the 40 inch Samsung cost, just four years ago, I have to say it was a worthwhile purchase. Just hope Sony doesn't butcher it with an update, like they have a habit of doing with their products.

Would I have paid the RRP of almost £1500 for it? No, I don't think I would, because Sony is typically overpriced... but at £879, it was worth buying.
LeeC22 is offline  
post #825 of 1197 Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Member
 
VintageBullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod21 View Post

Hey bud. I had same model Vizio and returned it for the 802. I really loved almost any still picture on the Viz...looked like art work it was so beautiful -- very impressive. However, whenever there was moving action on the screen, the picture more or less went to **** with jutter or carboard-type hyper motion flow. After seeing the 802 in store it was tuff to love the viz. Games were only ok on the Viz with slight but (in my opinion noticable) lag. The 3d was epic on the Viz, poss better than the 802 but then the screen was slightly bigger. Prometheus was a near spiritual moment for me and the gf very impressed however, the HObbit looked chunky and synthetic, Return of the Jedi looked just horrendous which was the final straw for me. Took it back and couldnt be more relieved that I did. Call of Duty in 3D is unlike anything I could have imagined -- in my opinion it is like an all new game experience...cannot say enuff good about that one. All the same movies mentioned looked significantly better, richer and more filmlike on the 802; as to Prometheus, I would have to re-watch it in it's entirety to make a fair comparison, I only watched a few select cool scenes and they were epic but lacked the intense hyper-augmentation of the Vizio which worked for that movie ONLY but not for other films. ALso, was not impressed by animation ex Ice Age and the like -- never seemed to get the picture to pop quite like the samsungs which was weird considering how much the Viz tweaked the picture in almost every other instance. Main reason I returned the Viz was that with all of the "features" which only worked in select situations could not be fully disabled, leaving me with a perpetually over-amp'd picture. Vizio is almost there but lacks the immensely powerful processing power of the Sony -- you can really feel the difference. Also, the 802 displays TV signals much better as well -- more like a proper CRT.
Hope it helps bro. Cheers!

Thanks, for gaming and movies I'll be watching/playing in 2D. Do you notice any motion blur ? I can't stand motion blur, even in the slightest. As soon as I see it I'm drawn to it and just stare at it.
VintageBullet is offline  
post #826 of 1197 Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Newbie
 
AwesomeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Sorry my fault, it's not for the w802, they have that price for a 70" but you are right , there is no 70" W802, only 70"R550.

There is a 65" W850A up for pre-order. Seems to be part 900A (TRILUMINOS) and part 802A (Motionflow™ XR 480)

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666597720
AwesomeD is offline  
post #827 of 1197 Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Member
 
vdubpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if i have a movie in file fomr mp4, will the sony tv play it if i plug it in via usb memory stivck

thanks
vdubpower is offline  
post #828 of 1197 Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Member
 
LeeC22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Had my TV for over a week now, and the reality is starting to set in. It's no longer the completely impressive set I initially thought. The main problem, is watching dark movies, in the dark. This really shows up some terrible black problems with the set. When the screen is mostly dark, things aren't too bad, but the minute any source of light appears on screen, no matter how small, or where... the whole screen increases in brightness, washing out every bit of black in view. I have tried everything to make it stop doing it, but nothing will. I also must have the light sensor on, or the blacks wash out even more.

For normal, varied contrast viewing, the picture is great... but dark scenes are starting to be a real pain. I've just watched American Horror Story on Blu Ray, and it's ruined a good percentage of the episodes, with this constant variation of brightness. If you turn the auto contrast off completely, then it's washed out all of the time.

I now understand why you can't buy this set online in the UK. It's so that you can't use the DSR as an excuse to return the set. I've seen this before with expensive tech, they obviously don't want to have people using and returning something so expensive. The moral of the story is, get a demonstration of the set, and make sure you get it demonstrated showing dark scenes. Problem is, the shops are usually bright, and that really affects the black levels.
LeeC22 is offline  
post #829 of 1197 Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Member
 
wanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im thinking of upgrading from my old Sony KDL-40U4000 which i have been very happy with. I'm leaning towards the KDL55w807.

I'll be using the TV for games and movie/tv so both low input lag and smooth movement with good picture quality is important. Sony's excellent low input lag is the main reason why I'm leaning towards this model.

In my local shop i noticed a lot of TVs that were lagging during 24p playback etc, wasn't able to try it with the w8 but it really worries me that it wont be able to handle all types of playback smoothly? I value stutter-free playback alot more than perfect blacks.

I also read Cnets review which only gave it a 3/5 and mentioned "the W802A isn't the best video processor. While it was able to get the full 1080 lines in moving resolution via Impulse mode (which inserts black frames), the lower light output and flicker make it difficult to watch. The TV also failed the 1080i film test with large artifacts in the scrolling lines. It was able to pass 24p cadence correctly, however."

So is the w8 line able to produce smooth playback?
Also, are the blacks really as bad as people seem to claim?

I'd very much appreciate any feedback from users that own a Sony w8xx.
wanner is offline  
post #830 of 1197 Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Newbie
 
xclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Woke up this morning and mine is stuck in a boot loop, then powers off with the notification led blinking 8 times. I've tried all the steps I could find on the Internet but she won't stay on so a call to Sony is needed.

Sadly Sony support isn't open until Monday but I'm very disappointed that this set didn't even make it past 5 months of moderate use. Hopefully there's some sort of warranty out of the box since this unit was a warranty replacement for my old Sony that lasted 5 years,
xclaw is offline  
post #831 of 1197 Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Member
 
wanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanner View Post

Also, are the blacks really as bad as people seem to claim?

Maybe a stupid question... Compared to my ~5 year old KDL-40U4000, will the blacks of the W8 series be a step up or down?
wanner is offline  
post #832 of 1197 Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Newbie
 
xclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanner View Post

Maybe a stupid question... Compared to my ~5 year old KDL-40U4000, will the blacks of the W8 series be a step up or down?

Step up.
xclaw is offline  
post #833 of 1197 Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Newbie
 
Sicamore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
updated my settings from the previous page.

Picture Mode Cinema 1
Backlight Min
Picture 90
Brightness 51
Color 47
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 2
Sharpness 48
Motionflow Standard

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Low
Gamma 0

everything else off.

couldn't find anything to solve the frame dimming issue but blacks are very good while it is activated. i wish it were just a toggle that we could enable permanently but i guess i'll have to live with it since i wanted a set that had the least input lag with motionflow on while gaming because my eyes are sensitive to blurring and this tv handles it very well.

edit: didn't like my new settings so i reverted back to cnet's settings except for less backlight, more picture, and ACE low.
Sicamore is offline  
post #834 of 1197 Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Member
 
Sehej Rana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys just an update on my W802 as i have had it now for two weeks exactly. So far have faced no major issues with my set keeping my fingers crossed. For people concerned about black levels on this model let me tell you its not much of an issue i also have a non 3D LG tv at home which i purchased about 3 months back and the black levels on the sony are way better. Though i think the Samsung F6400 has better blacks but i preferred the PQ on the sony especially while playing SD content. i conducted the black level test at night with the lights off and playing "The Dark Knight Rises". Sound quality is as good or as bad as the next flat panel display. Ran DSE tests from you tube i think i saw some DSE but it was hard to make out. Will test further from other sources. Tested the 3D with Tintin really enjoyed it

Now to the problem:

My tv is on a table top which is stuck to the wall on that same wall i have an air conditioner. Now whenever i put on the air conditioner after about half an hour my set develops some minor light bleed on both the bottom left and right side corners of the screen and its only visible when there is complete darkness or when the lights are dim. The first time i saw this i called up the Sony service centre and asked them to come in and have a look. The guy did show up and guess what no light bleed. i did fell a little foolish at the time as the guy also waited for about half an hour for the problem to occur again but it just didn't. the next day at night when the air conditioner was turned on the problem occurred back again. Could the air conditioner be responsible for it?. I know some of you may be thinking that cause of the daylight the sony tech would not have been able to see the light bleed but i can control sunlight in the room where i have placed my tv set and even during the day i can make the room fairly dark. Now to answer the other question why i just didn't go for a plasma when i could control my light well it was my first choice but cause of demand for plasma sets in my country i was asked to pay a booking amount and wait for a month for the model to arrive and that also if they had that model in stock otherwise i could adjust that amount for any led tv of the same company. So now am here with a Sony.

The Question:

Is there anyway i can change the resolution of the videos being played on you tube on the tv cause at the moment when i play them they always end up being low resolution?
Sehej Rana is offline  
post #835 of 1197 Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 
gatorboi352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeC22 View Post

Had my TV for over a week now, and the reality is starting to set in. It's no longer the completely impressive set I initially thought. The main problem, is watching dark movies, in the dark. This really shows up some terrible black problems with the set. When the screen is mostly dark, things aren't too bad, but the minute any source of light appears on screen, no matter how small, or where... the whole screen increases in brightness, washing out every bit of black in view. I have tried everything to make it stop doing it, but nothing will. I also must have the light sensor on, or the blacks wash out even more.

For normal, varied contrast viewing, the picture is great... but dark scenes are starting to be a real pain. I've just watched American Horror Story on Blu Ray, and it's ruined a good percentage of the episodes, with this constant variation of brightness. If you turn the auto contrast off completely, then it's washed out all of the time.

I now understand why you can't buy this set online in the UK. It's so that you can't use the DSR as an excuse to return the set. I've seen this before with expensive tech, they obviously don't want to have people using and returning something so expensive. The moral of the story is, get a demonstration of the set, and make sure you get it demonstrated showing dark scenes. Problem is, the shops are usually bright, and that really affects the black levels.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The only work around, and its only partially, is to turn off the ACE and Black Corrector entirely and just suffer from less impressive blacks the entire time instead of good blacks and extreme contrast shifts when brightness is introduced into the scene.
gatorboi352 is offline  
post #836 of 1197 Old 09-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Newbie
 
johnslymy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does any one know how to play youtube videos @ 1080p res. on this ?
johnslymy is offline  
post #837 of 1197 Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Newbie
 
xclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like an actual factory reset managed to fix my issues.

Just so others are aware, you do the below steps when it's sitting at the "no input detected" screen. Press up on the remote and then keep pressing the power button on the back of the unit. The reset happens in like the blink of an eye.
Quote:
Using the Sony Remote control, pointed towards the IR sensor on the KDL47W802A, press and hold the UP ARROW.

On the side of the KDL47W802A, while still holding the Up arrow button on the remote, TAP the KDL47W802A Power button several times until the message "RESET" is displayed in the bottom left corner of the KDL47W802A.

Release the Up Arrow AFTER you see the "RESET", and wait for 1 minute, while the KDL47W802A completes the reset procedure.

Managed to get through a few hours of hockey last night with no issues, I've got my fingers crossed it remains stable.
xclaw is offline  
post #838 of 1197 Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Newbie
 
billyblak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehej Rana View Post

My tv is on a table top which is stuck to the wall on that same wall i have an air conditioner. Now whenever i put on the air conditioner after about half an hour my set develops some minor light bleed on both the bottom left and right side corners of the screen and its only visible when there is complete darkness or when the lights are dim. The first time i saw this i called up the Sony service centre and asked them to come in and have a look. The guy did show up and guess what no light bleed. i did fell a little foolish at the time as the guy also waited for about half an hour for the problem to occur again but it just didn't. the next day at night when the air conditioner was turned on the problem occurred back again. Could the air conditioner be responsible for it?

Although I don't have W802A (yet) I cant relate to your problem. I have an old DLP tv up against the wall with a closet AC unit. Whenever that AC turns on/off tv screen goes blank for a few seconds then comes back on; sometimes screen gets messed up and I have to turn it off and on again. I guess a big electric appliances create a pulse of electromagnetic field or some sort when powering up/down.
billyblak is offline  
post #839 of 1197 Old 09-19-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,931
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblak View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehej Rana View Post

My tv is on a table top which is stuck to the wall on that same wall i have an air conditioner. Now whenever i put on the air conditioner after about half an hour my set develops some minor light bleed on both the bottom left and right side corners of the screen and its only visible when there is complete darkness or when the lights are dim. The first time i saw this i called up the Sony service centre and asked them to come in and have a look. The guy did show up and guess what no light bleed. i did fell a little foolish at the time as the guy also waited for about half an hour for the problem to occur again but it just didn't. the next day at night when the air conditioner was turned on the problem occurred back again. Could the air conditioner be responsible for it?

Although I don't have W802A (yet) I cant relate to your problem. I have an old DLP tv up against the wall with a closet AC unit. Whenever that AC turns on/off tv screen goes blank for a few seconds then comes back on; sometimes screen gets messed up and I have to turn it off and on again. I guess a big electric appliances create a pulse of electromagnetic field or some sort when powering up/down.

 

Some time ago I suggested people try pressing on the facing bezel, if needed as a last resort.  Someone recently reported that it worked perfectly to remove bleeding (I believe in this thread actually).  I actually got the idea in the first place from the 2012 LG 60LM7200 thread where it helped several people.  Pressing gently on it produced a subtle "snap" or "click" and suddenly things were good.

 

Note: I'm not suggesting you do this.  I cannot.  It's up to you to do anything to your set, and I will not be responsible for anything that happens to it.

 

However, it stands to reason that if a physical re-seating of the bezel can change bleed, that a temperature change might change the dimensional characteristics of the panel enough to similarly widen tolerances causing the same effect.


WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #840 of 1197 Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Newbie
 
betterdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my 55" today. I love the thing to death already, but one thing is driving me a bit nuts. There is a slight vertical black bar that is visible during any point where the TV is black/dim. I took a photo.

279392

Is this something that will get better over time, or should I have Amazon replace it.

Thanks!
betterdavid is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 55w802a 55 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Bravia 40inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx750 Kdl 40hx750
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off