Official 2013 Sony W802A series LED TVs (KDL-xxW802A) --- 47" and 55" --- Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1202 Old 01-16-2014, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim brice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Haven't heard of any flickering issues with regards to ACE.

95% of the time in my experience with the Bravia sets, the software updates they put out are simply to update the Internet Content[/qu

i know updates are usually for internet content, i was just mentioning the update.

but really you don't notice like flickering or light fluctuation in a dim room while viewing for example something in H-stretch with ACE on at any setting? I have noticed it with beyond two souls for ps3 and L.A. NOIRE for ps3 hell any thing with bars really.

Plus on top of it i don't know if it is called DSE or what but when i play like free roam games or anything i can look up at the sky with i can see faint almost invisible black lines when i pan the camera around or even look up or down this had been on all 6 or 7 unit's iv'e had so any opinions?

also sony has offered me 1,029.85 very weird with the 85 cents i think haha, so if the units i have been getting seem defected also i'm sure you know all of them have had the light pouring from the bezel which i call "light leakage" what do you think i should do take the refund? (which i think is pretty low) i can probably get more if i posted the tv on ebay. or should i get another 802? and sony wont give out the r550a which is stupid because it is cheaper.

and if i take the refund ( i know what everyone will say its my own preference) should i get a cheaper or entry level plasma while i still can? the st6o is a crazy price like 2,000 dollars 1,600 dollars for a used one. And i'm sure a lot of you guys here know that it was originally 900 dollars.

thanks in advanced for your thoughts.

wow thanks man that's the first time i ever heard of banding. i always just called it DSE and then explained it to my friends why it is more noticeable on my tv because it is bigger then their unit and brighter then a CCFL obviously then they ask what is a CCFL notice why my signature says " i miss CCFL'S" lol. I know that there is more to explain but i'm sure we all know how non tv nerds are lol.(Plus is it normal that my friend's notice and talk so much crap about my 802a when they all have like Vizio's and Dynex's and Emerson's urghhh....) like are **** is better i dish out 1,800 on tv's lol.

I mean i feel as if my panel has a combination of DSE and banding. Do you think the 802a has it less bad then others like Samsung or LG for example? I have tried every company this year (2013) except for Samsung so i am currently thinking of a Samsung plasma before time runs out. I only say Samsung plasma because i have had the st60 and got rid of it like a dumb a** just because of a little IR before the break in period very dumb move of me because as we all know panny's are now very expensive due to the loss =( i just cant get over the st60 going for 1,600 dollars used WTF. Plus because of the article i just found on CNET "Samsung plasma wins CNET's accidental burn-in test" you can check it out here if you haven't already.

I also use smart suite's a lot so if anyone know's a good plasma with a smart suite please fill me in thank you. sorry in advanced for any flaws in my posts i have two kids one which is 4 and the other 3 plus my fiance hates that i spend my time posting here so i need to do this quickly lol.

Why, Sony? Why?...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1202 Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaAlexis6 View Post

Ugh! I thought I had figured out the audio.. I have all my players, ps3, etc connected to a Sony soundbar.. The prob is that I have TWO audio's going off at once, the TV volume, and my Soundbar. How do I get soundbar ONLY? Sometimes it works to go to TV, but I get NO HD audio, like TrueHD..

Help anyone!

If you have a Sony sound bar and a Sony TV all it should take is an HDMI cable and Bravia Sync enabled on your TV. This should not only allow for audio out of the sound bar only, but also turn the sound bar on and off whenever you power on or off the TV. And yes, TrueHD audio as well.
post #1083 of 1202 Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM

I just read over my post and it's kind of confusing so i apologize again for mistakes.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1084 of 1202 Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 PM

yea, that's exactly how I have it set up and I do turn the bar on. I just dunno why it keeps putting out 2 audios at once... I wanna disable the TV, and just use the Soundbar.

Display: Sony KDL-55W802A
Sound Bar: Sony HT-CT150
Players: Sony BDP-S5100
Sony BDPS1000ES
Oppo BDP-83
PS3 Slim

post #1085 of 1202 Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 PM

Hi! I'm from Argentina and I've just bought this set (47W805 in my country) online at Sony Store. I don't have it with me yet (maybe in a few days) but I have to say that after reading most of this thread I'm a little worried. So many bad experiences with this TV! Are the black levels so bad for watching movies at night? I didn't go for the LG 47LA6200 because of the banding and the DSE that so many people experienced, I just got tired of reading the same problems over and over again. I thought this set was better at that, but not according to this thread. Fingers crossed, hoping to get a good TV.
binari0 likes this.
post #1086 of 1202 Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:

yea, that's exactly how I have it set up and I do turn the bar on. I just dunno why it keeps putting out 2 audios at once... I wanna disable the TV, and just use the Soundbar.

Odd, yeah something else is definitely up. Only thing i can think of is either its a really old HDMI cord (v1.2 or lower) or theres some setting on the sound bar that needs to be activated or adjusted.
post #1087 of 1202 Old 01-17-2014, 12:10 AM

so now i'm considering taking the check from Sony and getting the Samsung PN51F5500 i'm just worried that it will be to bad during the day obviously i can't get an ST60 anymore its a bummer.

All i know is that i am tired of not having good uniformity and non black loading screens at night. good day.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1088 of 1202 Old 01-17-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:

All i know is that i am tired of not having good uniformity and non black loading screens at night. good day.

Yeah... if that's what you're tired of, I'd advise avoiding LED sets entirely. Sad, but true.
j-rod21 likes this.
post #1089 of 1202 Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Yeah... if that's what you're tired of, I'd advise avoiding LED sets entirely. Sad, but true.

Indeed it is because LED has potential. So I actually just got done selling my 802a to Sony for $1,029.85 and I think I'm leaning toward the PN51F5500 just because it seems like it's the best plasma that is still available for a decent price.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1090 of 1202 Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicho Garcy View Post

Hi! I'm from Argentina and I've just bought this set (47W805 in my country) online at Sony Store. I don't have it with me yet (maybe in a few days) but I have to say that after reading most of this thread I'm a little worried. So many bad experiences with this TV! Are the black levels so bad for watching movies at night? I didn't go for the LG 47LA6200 because of the banding and the DSE that so many people experienced, I just got tired of reading the same problems over and over again. I thought this set was better at that, but not according to this thread. Fingers crossed, hoping to get a good TV.

+1 here, is a bad buy? cherrs
post #1091 of 1202 Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM

@gatorboi352 ~ I figured out something last night. I was having that 2 audio problem with standalone blu-ray players, but on my PS3 it works perfectly with the soundbar, and NO TV audio at all.. just the bar, which is what I want, need.. Maybe I have to enable some settings on the blu-ray players themselves? PS3 is fine.

Display: Sony KDL-55W802A
Sound Bar: Sony HT-CT150
Players: Sony BDP-S5100
Sony BDPS1000ES
Oppo BDP-83
PS3 Slim

post #1092 of 1202 Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM

hi guys, I just bought the 47w802a and love the tv for everything except sports. Fast movement in general looks bad. I've been playing with the settings for 3 days and nothing is right. I' waited a while to make the right purchase and I'm ready to return... Anybody find this an issue too?
post #1093 of 1202 Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat 14 View Post

hi guys, I just bought the 47w802a and love the tv for everything except sports. Fast movement in general looks bad. I've been playing with the settings for 3 days and nothing is right. I' waited a while to make the right purchase and I'm ready to return... Anybody find this an issue too?

Yes I have. Even with everything turned off it looks bad. This is why I'm going plasma, I'm so sick of led I've tried all the mid-level/kinda high end models for 2013 and they all have clouding and grey screens. I suggest going plasma while you still can, it's pretty much a wrap with panosonic.

But the Samsung 5000 series are nice. 1,799 for the F5800 and 797 for the F5500.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1094 of 1202 Old 01-18-2014, 02:49 PM

I'm actually trying so hard to find a smart veira but they are sold out everywhere and I don't have 3,000 dollars, it's ridiculous how much money even RETAILERS are charging for what's left of Panasonic!

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1095 of 1202 Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi everyone, new to the forums but have been looking through and reading every ones experience.

I had a question about mounting this TV to the wall, from what I understand a VESA mount wont work? Does anyone have any experience with mounting this thing?

Also extreme long shot im sure but does anyone else own this tv and a STR 840? For some reason it appears like they dont play nice with each other very often, its extremely aggravating having 2 sony products that refuse to work with each other.

post #1096 of 1202 Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 AM

Hi Wowzors,

I just wall mounted mine this weekend and had to replace my existing VESA wall mount to accommodate the 802.

You can find a PDF located here that shows the specifics for the mount requirements:

http://community.sony.com/sony/attachments/sony/manuals/85/2/KDL55W800Aseries_cutsheet.pdf

Essentially you look for a mount that will accommodate 300 x 300

I picked up a Rocketfish 40" - 56" Full Motion Flat-Panel TV Wall Mount (RF-TVMFM03) for 99 bucks Canadian. Bestbuy and Futureshop had them here.

There were no problems mounting it to a standard wood stud wall, and it didn't block any ports or connections on the TV.

I'm sure Monoprice would have many more options as well.  

post #1097 of 1202 Old 01-20-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:

@gatorboi352
~ I figured out something last night. I was having that 2 audio problem with standalone blu-ray players, but on my PS3 it works perfectly with the soundbar, and NO TV audio at all.. just the bar, which is what I want, need.. Maybe I have to enable some settings on the blu-ray players themselves? PS3 is fine.

Hmm it does sound like that could be the case. Makes sense that the PS3 would work as it too has Bravia Sync built in. Can you link me to the exact model sound bar you have? I'd like to learn more about it as I am looking for better sound from my bedroom Bravia.
post #1098 of 1202 Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Indeed it is because LED has potential. So I actually just got done selling my 802a to Sony for $1,029.85 and I think I'm leaning toward the PN51F5500 just because it seems like it's the best plasma that is still available for a decent price.

I wish I would have seen this earlier. After sending back 2 tv's Sony agreed to let me "upgrade" to the 60r550a which is what I have in my living room and which I like much better. Both have their pros and cons but the cons on this set far outweigh its pros for me.
post #1099 of 1202 Old 01-22-2014, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi,

How do you deal with the reflectiveness of the screen?

I’m watching the TV with a bias light behind the TV and a floor lamp on in the room in order to avoid eye fatigue and enhance the black performance.

The light is behind me lateral up and does not directly reflect in the screen.

However, the raised light level in the room makes it so that whenever there a scene with darker areas, that area of the TV acts like a mirror and i can seem myself or elements of the room reflected in the TV somewhat underimposed the image being displayed. 

This is terribly distracting.
Did you find ways to mitigate this?

Thanks!

post #1100 of 1202 Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post

I wish I would have seen this earlier. After sending back 2 tv's Sony agreed to let me "upgrade" to the 60r550a which is what I have in my living room and which I like much better. Both have their pros and cons but the cons on this set far outweigh its pros for me.

Crazy because I almost did that too. Now reading that you find more problems in the 550a I'm glad I'm getting the check. It has been nothing but a sea of exchange's for me the last year involving LED so this is why I'm just going to get a plasma while they are still available. I really am trying to get my hands on a Panasonic but they are so rare.

The PN51F5500 is still only 749 dollars.
j-rod21 likes this.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1101 of 1202 Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM

Hi someone can tell me how to do subtitles in 3D? With the plex or serviio at a work?
post #1102 of 1202 Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Crazy because I almost did that too. Now reading that you find more problems in the 550a I'm glad I'm getting the check. It has been nothing but a sea of exchange's for me the last year involving LED so this is why I'm just going to get a plasma while they are still available. I really am trying to get my hands on a Panasonic but they are so rare.

The PN51F5500 is still only 749 dollars.

I just got the ZT60. It is amazing. I saw a few VT's on amazon for around 3200. As long as it is tax free + free shipping, that is prob as good a deal as you're gonna find. Pic is epic, no lag that I could tell when playing bf4 on my ps4. I have my 802a in the bedroom exclusivly for vids but might sneak some games on the plasma here & there once I get it passed the 200 - 300 hour mark. No fan noise, slight buzz characteristic of the plasma (can only hear if I mute all volume and stick my head behind the unit), bright as needs to be. Still love my 802 tho, and will enjoy both for years to come. I see owning both as division of labor; plasma for epic film viewing, 802 for razor sharp videogaming. Both sets execute either function sufficiently, but I want the best of both worlds.
post #1103 of 1202 Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Hi, ive got the 55 inch, ive got it hooked up to a htpc via hdmi, and i could see horizontal static lines (faint grey) throughout the screen. This is visible at 2m away from the tv. I managed to get a upclose screen shot of it.

any idea?

its appearing when viewing tv channels, ps3 and pc.

post #1104 of 1202 Old 02-05-2014, 12:17 PM

New owner of the KDL47W802 here. I see so many diferent setting calibrations. I tried the cnet settings and was not really feeling that set up. So far im feeling the vivid and sports settings, but I cannot get it right. It's either too much on one channel compared to another channel. The tv looks great on game mode as is, but im sure that could use some tweaking as well to acheive optimum performance. My main concern would be what i can see through my cable box. I'm using rocketfish Hdmi cables on the cable box and xbox, if it helps.  Any full detailed cailbrations list out there that are sure to get the most out of this tv? I have the Disney WOW dvd. And it seems to be very good, but still overwhelming with the back and forth. It's like you can get one screen shot but the on the next it just changes everything up again. Just looking for some sure set numbers that work for the most part. I'm about to explose with all these settings and options. I can relate to the fact that although this is a great set, it is missing that little umph in the visual display department. I guess i should have done a little bit more research, before jumping out the window and purchasing this set. I am however a big sony fan and do love their products. I saw best gaming tv and was solf on that. I just want to get the maximum performance out of this tv. The ideal setting for this set all seem to be pretty dark, it seems. I have the 40z4100 model in my bedroom and it is still holding up. Anyways any help, would be appreciated.Digital Trends seems to have a good one, but the calibrations that they have up seem to be incomplete. They don't state what picture mode they are using for their calibrations, it's just a little confusing. Thanks again.

post #1105 of 1202 Old 02-05-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
If you like the TV on Vivid you're not going to get much help here from a settings standpoint. The Disney WOW disc is a good disc to use. Just take your time with it and keep tweaking. There are going to be some variations in the picture based on the input but you should be able to land on a good setting for the majority of what you watch. Be patient and keep working on it

JohnG
post #1106 of 1202 Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod21 View Post

I just got the ZT60. It is amazing. I saw a few VT's on amazon for around 3200. As long as it is tax free + free shipping, that is prob as good a deal as you're gonna find. Pic is epic, no lag that I could tell when playing bf4 on my ps4. I have my 802a in the bedroom exclusivly for vids but might sneak some games on the plasma here & there once I get it passed the 200 - 300 hour mark. No fan noise, slight buzz characteristic of the plasma (can only hear if I mute all volume and stick my head behind the unit), bright as needs to be. Still love my 802 tho, and will enjoy both for years to come. I see owning both as division of labor; plasma for epic film viewing, 802 for razor sharp videogaming. Both sets execute either function sufficiently, but I want the best of both worlds.

yea but i got rid of the 802a because gaming kinda sucked on it in my opinion i'm a gamer not a videophile, and i hated games on the 802a i may be a bit of a perfectionist but the terrible greyish/bluish blacks and light leakage from the bezel were just not cutting it for me. It's really funny actually i didn't want to say this but since i gave the 802a to ceva and have been waiting for the check to come, i borrowed a 32' dynex from my mother to hold me over lol its a terrible tv but the blacks are better and off viewing angles are much better then the 802a plus no light leak! If that isn't a kick in the teeth then tell me what is......

ill upload some pics of this funny dynex on my set up it looks so out of place in my nice living room lol, I also would like to take some pics during the day with my black out curtains closed, so maybe someone could tell me if it is dark enough for a plasma. I'm going Samsung most likely and i know they are bright for plasma's, so i don't know i'm really just looking for that good motion from a plasma and great blacks. I play a lot of survival horror games and dark adventure games etc. and plus i love to look at a true black loading screens lol.

I mean these false refresh rates just make everything look bad even still when you turn off cinemotion and motionflow. And that was one of the cases with the Sony every time you pan the camera around you get multiple issues... excessive banding (vertical and horizontal), motion artifacts around the character model's head and body,really bad aliasing even with edge enhancer set to high. As you can see the cons far out weigh the pro's compared to a plasma, which by the way i have found that they were the original best selection for gaming.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1107 of 1202 Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenek3 View Post

Hi, ive got the 55 inch, ive got it hooked up to a htpc via hdmi, and i could see horizontal static lines (faint grey) throughout the screen. This is visible at 2m away from the tv. I managed to get a upclose screen shot of it.

any idea?
its appearing when viewing tv channels, ps3 and pc.

sorry every 802a has this problem iv'e had 8 and they all had it =(...

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1108 of 1202 Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canilive View Post

New owner of the KDL47W802 here. I see so many diferent setting calibrations. I tried the cnet settings and was not really feeling that set up. So far im feeling the vivid and sports settings, but I cannot get it right. It's either too much on one channel compared to another channel. The tv looks great on game mode as is, but im sure that could use some tweaking as well to acheive optimum performance. My main concern would be what i can see through my cable box. I'm using rocketfish Hdmi cables on the cable box and xbox, if it helps.  Any full detailed cailbrations list out there that are sure to get the most out of this tv? I have the Disney WOW dvd. And it seems to be very good, but still overwhelming with the back and forth. It's like you can get one screen shot but the on the next it just changes everything up again. Just looking for some sure set numbers that work for the most part. I'm about to explose with all these settings and options. I can relate to the fact that although this is a great set, it is missing that little umph in the visual display department. I guess i should have done a little bit more research, before jumping out the window and purchasing this set. I am however a big sony fan and do love their products. I saw best gaming tv and was solf on that. I just want to get the maximum performance out of this tv. The ideal setting for this set all seem to be pretty dark, it seems. I have the 40z4100 model in my bedroom and it is still holding up. Anyways any help, would be appreciated.Digital Trends seems to have a good one, but the calibrations that they have up seem to be incomplete. They don't state what picture mode they are using for their calibrations, it's just a little confusing. Thanks again.

you only found reviews stating that this was the best gaming tv because of the low input lag it's like 8 ms or something. But in all honesty i really think it doesn't even matter iv'e gamed on all kinds of 2013 models' this year all heavy hitters including some from Sony,LG,and Panasonic i did not notice any differences as far as the speed goes when i am aiming the cross hairs to for example a knee cap, or legs on a necromorph in dead space.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #1109 of 1202 Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 AM

New firmware update any knows the changuelog?

Enviado desde mi LG-L9
post #1110 of 1202 Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 PM

I heard this TV does not pass through DTS 5.1 audio. So if I play mkv files (with DTS 6 channels) using the TVs media player there is no way I could get 5.1 audio with the HT-SS380? No chance at all?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 55w802a 55 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Bravia 40inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx750 Kdl 40hx750
Gear in this thread - Hx750 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page