Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklude97 View Post

I have the same problem^^

I got my problem figured out.

On my receiver, there is an "HDMI control" option and it needs to be set to on. Then on the tv, the Simplink needs to be turned on as well. Mine was defaulted to off. With the Simplink on you can choose which speakers you want to play the audio, and I chose the receiver. The tv knew what to do from there. Now when I play something from the smart tv section, the tv switches my receiver from the "sat/cable" input to the "tv" input and the sound is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1270 Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
was your tv on game mode? game mode seems to make light bleeds worst. actually your screen looks similar to what I had on the lm8600; and ended up returning it. although they allowed to exchange for another set, i kindly declined the offer. light bleeding on the la7400 is only a hair better than the lm8600. my set (55la7400) has the bezel behind the screen. it feels squishy when gently presses the screen.

curious, has anyone try the WOW calibration disc for this tv yet?
post #273 of 1270 Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

My TV in general looks pretty good anyway with barely any clouding when micro dimming is active.

Generally, how your TV looks during the day is how it will look if you turn off all the lights in your room at night and leave the bias lighting on.

On my TV, when watching anything in the dark with black bars on the top and bottom it really is not a true black at all. It is kind of lit up. Once you turn on the LED lights those bars instantly become inky black making it look like the lights behind the black bars are completely off.

If your TV looks good in the daytime it will look just as good in the dark. If your TV looks really bad in the daytime hours in a lit up room I do not know if it will cover it up for you. I would not keep an LED TV that does not at least look good in the daytime as that is suppose to be it's time to shine. Also, this LG is not a low budget TV so I would not excpet it if daytime viewing looked bad.

I will try one out. A whole kit for $15, can't beat that. The lighting looks nice regardless. Just hope it does not take too long to arrive.

Thanks
post #274 of 1270 Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by newaver View Post

I will try one out. A whole kit for $15, can't beat that. The lighting looks nice regardless. Just hope it does not take too long to arrive.

Thanks
It won't perform a miracle if your screen is terrible but should give you the same daytime type viewing at night and yes it does look good regardless.

Just so you know, Samsung's micro dimming works way better then LGs so I do have a more uniform screen to start with.
post #275 of 1270 Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 PM

Liked: 15
It would be great if other owners could chime in with regards to any buffering they do (or don't) experience streaming HD content. I don't see the point in getting a smart TV if I have to continue to turn on my PS3 every time I want to watch Hulu or Amazon Prime.
post #276 of 1270 Old 06-20-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J.R.#4 View Post

It would be great if other owners could chime in with regards to any buffering they do (or don't) experience streaming HD content. I don't see the point in getting a smart TV if I have to continue to turn on my PS3 every time I want to watch Hulu or Amazon Prime.

Streaming Youtube and Netflix is fine, no buffering for me. Really just depends on your internet, I would think. Only problem I have is HD Netflix does not look HD.
post #277 of 1270 Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
post #278 of 1270 Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM

the pq looks no better than 480 using a built-in netflix app on this tv; and it seems this tv isn't that responsive, or may be 33% slower than the 55lm8600 (both have similar specs). the pq on netflix looks hd 720 with ps3 stand alone.
post #279 of 1270 Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I had a picture of the oh yeah, but didn't want to make it look like I agreed.  It's LG kool aid.  LOL.......

Careful...LG might stop selling panels to Sony..

Ha.  But two issues (not in order):

1. It's still NOT 100% clear who is making those panels for Sony.  It's using the FPR tech, but it's been pointed out that AUO has licensed that as well from LG.  One person stated that only the Sony XBR X900 is using the AUO FPR (note: not directly from LG).  So in that case, it's an AUO panel.  Sometimes it seems that AUO is in everything.

2. Even if LG did directly manufacturer and sell the panels to Sony for their R & W lines (I think they did), it's not clear WHAT that means.  Does it come with the LED's and lightguides, or is it only the LCD array with film?  It's possible for the lighting to be added later.  This is why that distinction is important: it's the lose tolerances inherent in the lighting system that causes flashlighting and bleed, which is what plagued the LG line and AFAICT doesn't show up in Sonys to nearly that degree.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #280 of 1270 Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Quote:

Thanks
It won't perform a miracle if your screen is terrible but should give you the same daytime type viewing at night and yes it does look good regardless.

Yeah, bias lighting is fantastic.  It won't make it quite "daytime viewing" (without dynamic sensors a screen will still seem much brighter at night than it would during the day) but the results are really amazing.

Right now, I'm actually using a small 40w "decorator" bulb plugged into a socket-adapter which is plugged into an outlet strip behind my TV.  It makes these cool looking shards of light behind the TV and balances everything.

Totally not the long term solution, but it could be.  I've had a lightbulb behind my TVs for years.  I discovered it on my own and then rushed to avsforum to tell people just to learn that it's an old idea.  LOL....

Just so you know, Samsung's micro dimming works way better then LGs so I do have a more uniform screen to start with.

.................................................."micro dimming"?  Are we comparing edge lit TVs here?

You mean their edge "local dimming"?  This is usually limited to large vertical swaths from the top or bottom, and are not "micro" regions like full array gives you.  The longer I look into this, the reason is still that they haven't found a way to tunnel the light guides up and around each other to independently reach the middle of the screen.

Besides, that's not screen uniformity anyway.

If you had *NO* dimming at all, you could have superior uniformity.  If you had the best micro dimming in the world you could have terrible lighting uniformity.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #281 of 1270 Old 06-21-2013, 07:58 PM

The ghosting and vertical banding seems to have gone away after turning the Local Dimming to Low or Off. The flashlighting is still in two corners, but we do not notice it pulsing, like before.

Still debating whether it is worth it to exchange. I am just covering up a problem with turning off features on the TV. Then again I might get a worse set than this one . Oh what to do...Calgon take me away.
post #282 of 1270 Old 06-22-2013, 09:06 AM

When changing Inputs the picture will automatically change settings. For example when I turn on my WDTV Live it automatically changes to ECO from ISF Expert 1. Is there a setting to turn this off ?
post #283 of 1270 Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:

When changing Inputs the picture will automatically change settings. For example when I turn on my WDTV Live it automatically changes to ECO from ISF Expert 1. Is there a setting to turn this off ?

You need to program your settings for each input.
post #284 of 1270 Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM

hi,

if you please i have a silly Question if you allow me to ask,
does this TV playes mkv movies?smile.gif
post #285 of 1270 Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 PM

Spent much of the last two days playing around with the 55" LA7400, side by side with a Sony 50" R550A in my living room. Thought I'd share some brief thoughts that might be helpful to some, as both of these sets have been found on sale lately (the LG for ~$1K, the Sony for ~$800-900).

PQ: Picture quality was comparable for me on these sets once calibrated. (For calibration I used an old DVE disc for the Sony, and pretty much stuck with the picture wizard for the LG). Satisfying black levels on both (coming from a Panasonic plasma, I was prepared to be disappointed, but they are both good). Sony had better vertical off-axis viewing, whereas the LG had slightly better horizontal off-axis viewing. Some very minor light bleeds on both units--the Sony on the bottom left, the LG on the bottom right. But they are only really noticeable during certain scenes when the room is very dark and you're in 'critical viewing' mode. Neither bothered me enough to go through the hassle of re-packaging and gambling with another unit. I found both sets looked best with pretty much every single picture enhancement turned off, except local dimming for the LG.

Smart TV: As opposed to some, I didn't find the LG's magic remote gimmicky in the least. Instead, I found it very useful and powerful. The Smart functions on the LG just outclass the Sony in every way. Not only is the Sony poorly organized (as mentioned by myself and others previously), but the interface is clunky and old looking. I also found the DLNA performance on the Sony to be slow, especially navigating through folders. It also didn't handle a number of files in my library. The LG had *far* better DLNA performance, including high quality 1080p files and 3D files as well. The LG has been so good that I have disconnected my HTPC (a trusty Revo 3610) for now and will see whether I can go without a separate box for my library. Note: I'm using the built-in media streamer on my Synology NAS, which the LG found and can navigate fast enough as to not frustrate me. It's tough giving up the sleek XBMC interface on the Revo, but simplifying the setup and reducing how many things are plugged in is a good tradeoff IMO.) The LG also has a great voice-input command system and powerful search function, and it interacted well with my TWC set-top box. The LG has better apps (though Amazon VOD is notably missing so far), and faster performance. Web browser was good for quick lookups, and having PIP with web browser and TV or whatever other input is a nice feature.

Streaming: No lag for me (as opposed to some user reports and at least one professional review), but I have good internet speeds and a fast router (ASUS N90 or something like that). Hulu PQ was great, as was Youtube (even though I couldn't figure out what setting the Youtube app was using, it looked at least 720p quality). While clunky, the Sony didn't lag streaming content from Hulu or Amazon either. However, the zippier performance gives the LG the edge.

Looks: Both are great looking sets. I think the LG looks a *little* sleeker with the thinner bezel but both are attractive. I'm using these on stands and like the Sony's lower overall profile compared to the LG.

3D. Nemo looked jaw-droppingly nice on both sets. I think the Sony had a more subtle 3D image overall, and it had more ability to tweak 3D effect levels (though the default ones always looked best to us). I think I may slightly prefer the more subdued 3D on the Sony compared to the LG, as the latter was more pronounced and jumped out of the screen more. The glasses on both were comfortable, but I did like that the Sony's would clip on to my eyeglass frames.

Gaming: This was a concern for both. but on the appropriate 'gaming' modes both sets worked well. I would give the Sony a slight edge here. On gaming mode, the Sony had no noticeable lag and very low jagginess in fast-pased FPS. Coming from a plasma it was a slight step down but I have to say that I like the LED PQ for gaming a lot. The LG had no noticeable lag either, but the jagginess was more pronounced when panning quickly across the screen. I changed the input label to 'Game' and 'PC' for the HDMI input from my PS3, and they are similar, except that PC seems to lock out even more picture options than the Game input label, and requires its own calibration. I tried all the various picture modes on the LG to make the picture improve. Eventually, I found that not all games are equally demanding, and many games look really stunning with all the processing turned off *except* for the motion setting, which I prefer to leave on minimum (called 'smooth', I think). I find this really makes things smooth and gives the image a nice punch on the LG without negatively affecting input lag. On some games, though, turning on the motion processing lead to some image artifacts. In Borderlands, for example, the lowest 'smooth' motion setting makes panning look nice but the crosshairs in the middle of the screen jitter / skip around during fast pans. Nonetheless, on other games (even FPS games), leaving the motion setting on minimum really helps. I'd encourage you to try it. (I never turned on any other picture processing setting to keep the input nice and lag free.)

Overall: Despite being more expensive, and even a little too big for our current setup, it was an easy decision keeping the LG. The Sony was nice and had better / more stable performance for gaming, and we would actually prefer the 50" to a 55", but it just felt like a lot more basic, utilitarian unit when placed next to the LG. If Smart functions / DLNA mean nothing to you, then you might as well go for the Sony because the PQ was just as good to my eyes. But if those are features you value to some extent, then the LG just feels like it's in another category.

Hope some of you find this helpful.
post #286 of 1270 Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Overall: Despite being more expensive, and even a little too big for our current setup, it was an easy decision keeping the LG. The Sony was nice and had better / more stable performance for gaming, and we would actually prefer the 50" to a 55", but it just felt like a lot more basic, utilitarian unit when placed next to the LG. If Smart functions / DLNA mean nothing to you, then you might as well go for the Sony because the PQ was just as good to my eyes. But if those are features you value to some extent, then the LG just feels like it's in another category.

Hope some of you find this helpful.

As the thread-creator, I gotta thank you for a very well thought out review.

Absolutely gonna be helpful for many people.

One of the things I'd mention is that none of the smart TVs seem to hold a candle to the guys that do nothing but that as external hardware (like Roku).  It's pretty much been the generalized rule of thumb in AVS reviews that if streaming is important to you, don't evaluate it's effectiveness on the set: get a Roku or similar instead.

J.J.R.#4 likes this.

post #287 of 1270 Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:

One of the things I'd mention is that none of the smart TVs seem to hold a candle to the guys that do nothing but that as external hardware (like Roku).  It's pretty much been the generalized rule of thumb in AVS reviews that if streaming is important to you, don't evaluate it's effectiveness on the set: get a Roku or similar instead.

I just wish you could actually buy just a plain backlit TV with great picture quality anymore. Everything comes smart and edge lit, so you don't know if your paying for the features or the functions you will never even use on a TV.
post #288 of 1270 Old 06-23-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWPayton View Post

Quote:

I just wish you could actually buy just a plain backlit TV with great picture quality anymore. Everything comes smart and edge lit, so you don't know if your paying for the features or the functions you will never even use on a TV.

Seriously though, what I want is a dumb-ass display with an absurdly fast connection (not HDMI).  Something capable of 480 fps native (and possibly BLS control).  Then we could have 3rd party devices to manage things like interpolation/bls/color control, etc., etc., etc.  THEN we'd have the best of the best of the best.

AVSforum would release THEIR firmware for that box, and we'd all contribute ideas and algorithms.

Not that I'm a fan of free software though.  The best bet is always commercial.

post #289 of 1270 Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:

The ghosting and vertical banding seems to have gone away after turning the Local Dimming to Low or Off. The flashlighting is still in two corners, but we do not notice it pulsing, like before.

Still debating whether it is worth it to exchange. I am just covering up a problem with turning off features on the TV. Then again I might get a worse set than this one . Oh what to do...Calgon take me away.

I'm pretty much in the exact same situation. It seems the bright spots have gone away or calibrations are hiding them more, the only thing that I'm still not sure I'm happy with is the black levels in the dark. It seems some sources handle it better than others, for example watching Alias on the built in Netflix app the blacks seemed more grey on the dark scenes, but on my LOTR Fellowship bluray the black bars at the top and bottom seemed deeper black or at least consistent.

It does seem odd to me that all of the calibrations I've read for this tv, and others basically tell you to turn off all of the picture features. I feel like local dimming set to low is the happy medium for handing the hotspots while not causing the brightness level to change too drastically between scenes (what I believe you noted as pulsing) and causing you to notice it.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the set, because I do enjoy the picture in a bright room. I'm going to experiment with the led ambient lighting behind the tv that someone else suggested for watching at night, I think that that will solve my black level issue and if done right I think it can add to the overall experience.

One question, and I apologize if someone has already covered it, how are you changing an input to game or PC mode? I tried digging through the Q.menu but I didn't see any PC settings. I'm looking to test different settings with my xbox. So far I haven't noticed any lagging or picture quality issues, which was one of my concerns before buying this TV based on reviews. Thanks for any help
post #290 of 1270 Old 06-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Seriously though, what I want is a dumb-ass display with an absurdly fast connection (not HDMI).  Something capable of 480 fps native (and possibly BLS control).  Then we could have 3rd party devices to manage things like interpolation/bls/color control, etc., etc., etc.  THEN we'd have the best of the best of the best.

AVSforum would release THEIR firmware for that box, and we'd all contribute ideas and algorithms.

Not that I'm a fan of free software though.  The best bet is always commercial.

I wasn't trying to mock you, I was being dead serious. I might be one of the lone people in it but I don't care about thinness, smart or even 3D. I just want a 2D picture that is uniform, but you can't get that these days with edge lit and smart things just drive the price up.
post #291 of 1270 Old 06-23-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBowmanVT View Post

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the set, because I do enjoy the picture in a bright room. I'm going to experiment with the led ambient lighting behind the tv that someone else suggested for watching at night, I think that that will solve my black level issue and if done right I think it can add to the overall experience.

Trust me: chances are you're going to love the effect.  To experiment with it, don't go nuts at first.  Take any old flashlight (the big kind with a lantern battery is best) and sit it straight up and down behind the set.  It won't be even lighting, but it will give you the sense of what bias lighting is all about.  The screen will be clean and the bright white will seem bright white but won't hurt your eyes, but yet the blacks will balance out better.  Dunno how else to put it.  I find the effect uncanny.

post #292 of 1270 Old 06-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Got mine today!! I love it! No dead pixels or light bleed I can find, looks amazing!

My only issue is...I can't get audio from my smart applications to play on my AV received. I tried setting the audio to external speaker, even running an HDMI cable from the TV into a different port on the received but no luck...does anyone have any idea if this can be accomplished?
post #293 of 1270 Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Got mine today!! I love it! No dead pixels or light bleed I can find, looks amazing!

My only issue is...I can't get audio from my smart applications to play on my AV received. I tried setting the audio to external speaker, even running an HDMI cable from the TV into a different port on the received but no luck...does anyone have any idea if this can be accomplished?

I have an optical out to my receiver and it plays everything fine (including smart apps). Wait... does this thing even have an HDMI out?
post #294 of 1270 Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 PM

Does anyone know how to set the 20pt White Balance described in this review's calibration settings?

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-la7400-picture-settings.html

It says: "Calibration of the LA7400 really pushes the TV to looks its best. The 20pt White Balance is worth the time it takes to set", so I'm thinking there's a way to input all the IRE values, but when I checked earlier I didn't see anything.
post #295 of 1270 Old 06-25-2013, 02:16 PM

I got this TV last week at Microcenter. So far enjoying it smile.gif

Has anyone connected it with FIOS Cisco DVR Set top box?
The TV displays what programs are currently live using the information from Set top box, but when I ask it to
switch it to that program/channel via Magic remote, it does not do it. I can still do channel up/down on Magic remote
and the channels change on the Set top box and TV.

Any idea what could be wrong?

I have connected the TV via Sony Home theater system to the FIOS box. Should i connect the TV directly to the
FIOS set top box?

Thanks
post #296 of 1270 Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know how to set the 20pt White Balance described in this review's calibration settings?

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-la7400-picture-settings.html

It says: "Calibration of the LA7400 really pushes the TV to looks its best. The 20pt White Balance is worth the time it takes to set", so I'm thinking there's a way to input all the IRE values, but when I checked earlier I didn't see anything.

Its under IRF expert I believe, one of the display modes (standard, vivid, cinema..etc) under advanced settings I believe.

That is a very YMMV due to lighting conditions and the TV itself, no two TVs are really alike calibration wise. I tried it and personally hate warm2 on any set so I just tweaked standard a little and it looks great
post #297 of 1270 Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Does anyone know what the 'motion eye care' does? I can't tell a difference on or off...
post #298 of 1270 Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know what the 'motion eye care' does? I can't tell a difference on or off...

LG's Manual is pretty useless. Most of the settings aren't even mentioned, let alone explained. I did a quick google search a few days ago and not much. confused.gif
post #299 of 1270 Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 PM

i think you need a web camera to utilize that feature?
post #300 of 1270 Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 PM

"I changed the input label to 'Game' and 'PC' for the HDMI input from my PS3, and they are similar, except that PC seems to lock out even more picture options than the Game input label, and requires its own calibration. "

this may be a d*mb question, a lot of us (novices) is curious exactly how you accomplished this?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page