Official 2013 LG xxLA7400 Owner's Thread. - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1269 Old 12-22-2013, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
According to the AVS HD 709 calibration disk, when I set the picture to have an aspect ratio of 16:9, I'm getting about 2% overscan. The fix is to set the TV's aspect ratio to "Just Scan" instead.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1269 Old 12-22-2013, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

According to the AVS HD 709 calibration disk, when I set the picture to have an aspect ratio of 16:9, I'm getting about 2% overscan. The fix is to set the TV's aspect ratio to "Just Scan" instead.
James can you provide me your calibration settings please? Would greatly appreciate it!
post #813 of 1269 Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is a software upgrade on the set. Has anyone done this upgrade? good or bad results?
post #814 of 1269 Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer55 View Post

There is a software upgrade on the set. Has anyone done this upgrade? good or bad results?
Does it say 5.00.30?
post #815 of 1269 Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgenius View Post

James can you provide me your calibration settings please? Would greatly appreciate it!

UPDATED March 13, 2014:

These are my recommended settings based on calibration with both the Disney WOW disk and the AVS HD 709 disk.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 85 (Personal preference; not a result of calibration)
Contrast: 89 (night); 83 (day)
Brightness: 52 (night); 61 (day)
Sharpness: 13
Color: 57
Tint: G4
Color Temp: C5

Dynamic Color: Off
Black Level: Low
Local Dimming: Turn off to avoid occasional white flashes.
TruMotion: User [De-Judder: 3, De-Blur: 10]
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

The AVS HD 709 calibration disk and the related patterns manual are free downloads. I think I downloaded and burned the AVCHD version because I only have a DVD burner, not a Blu-ray disk burner.

I recommend going through the AVS HD 709 calibration disk in the following order:
  1. There's an option on the top right of the home screen labeled "HDTV Calibration." That's actually a 4-part HD Nation tutorial on TV calibration. It's worth watching both before and after you calibrate your screen.
  2. After watching the tutorial, go back to the home screen and select the "Basic Setting" option on the top left of the home screen. That has the core set of patterns to help you calibrate.
  3. Finally, the top middle of the home screen has "Misc. Patterns." Within these miscellaneous patterns, it's worth going through section A ("Additional"). This helps make sure you're not clipping (omitting) any expected colors. Since I don't have a blue filter for color adjustments, I made special use of the A4 pattern to try to make sure my color setting is somewhat in the ballpark.

My updated calibration settings can be found here.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #816 of 1269 Old 12-22-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 11
JP, how do you switch settings between standard viewing and movie viewing? Do you really use the magic remote's "home" button and change each one by one?

Thanks.
post #817 of 1269 Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I hope to get the Disney WOW calibration disk after Christmas vacation.

My 55" has Local Dimming setting, so not sure it's a different panel to the 60". I've heard people say it, but never found anything on LG website saying they're different. Maybe your menus are different though?

I'm not an expert either, but I have and used the Disney WOW Blu-Ray Disc and thought the picture was bland after calibration. AVS calibration was also bland for me. Whites were not bright enough and contrast was too low for my liking. Ended up setting everything manually using Standard (User). Presets are all garbage and Expert(1) has limited options. Using 20 pt White.

My room is dark to medium, never bright, so your mileage may vary but this is what works for me. One setting for everything (other than backlight in 3D mode, which changes automatically once set).

Main Settings:
Energy Saving = Off
Backlight = 75 (Backlight in 3D = 100)
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 25
Color = 65
Tint = 0
Color Temp = C20

Advanced Control:
Dynamic Contrast = Medium
Dynamic Color = Low
Super Rsolution = Medium
Gamma = Medium

Picture Option:
Noise Reduction = Low
MPEG Noise Reduction = Low
Real Cinema = Off
Motion Eye Care = High
LED Local Dimming = Medium
TruMotion = Smooth
De-Judder =3
De-Blur = 3 (Any other settings for De-Judder and De-blur gets Judder with PS3 and Sports)
Aspect Ratio = 16:9

3D Settings:
3D Mode = Manual
3D Depth = 12
3d Viewpoint = -10
3D Pattern Recognition = On
3D Sound Zooming = Off
3D Normal Image View = Off
3D Image Correction = Left/Right
post #818 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark41 View Post

My 55" has Local Dimming setting, so not sure it's a different panel to the 60". I've heard people say it, but never found anything on LG website saying they're different. Maybe your menus are different though?

According to both Amazon and Crutchfield, the 60" panel is direct lit while the 55" and 47" panels are edge lit. I don't know how much else is different, but that sounds like a pretty big difference to me. I don't know whether this results in different ideal calibration settings.
Quote:

I'm not an expert either, but I have and used the Disney WOW Blu-Ray Disc and thought the picture was bland after calibration. AVS calibration was also bland for me. Whites were not bright enough and contrast was too low for my liking. Ended up setting everything manually using Standard (User).

On HD Nation, one of the hosts is a certified TV calibrator. (One host is the video guy and the other is the audio guy.) They have occasionally mentioned that many people don't initially like properly calibrated TVs. People tend to prefer the look of artificially vibrant TV settings. While artificially vibrant settings may look nice, they don't accurately reproduce the original image. An audio equivalent is boosting your E.Q.'s treble and bass. Most people prefer the sound, but it's not an accurate reproduction of the original source.
Quote:

Ended up setting everything manually using Standard (User). Presets are all garbage and Expert(1) has limited options.

I found I get completely different calibrated settings depending on the Picture Mode I choose. The settings I mentioned above were done using Standard picture mode. Using ISF Expert1 my settings are quite different.
Quote:

Real Cinema = Off
. . .
Aspect Ratio = 16:9

Are these settings for a composite connection? I'm finding that for an HDMI connection I have no ability to adjust the Real Cinema option. (I don't even know what that setting does.) Also, I found that the 16:9 option results in about 2% overscan. "Just Scan" is better for HDMI connections, but is unavailable for Composite connections.
Quote:

Noise Reduction = Low
MPEG Noise Reduction = Low

I spent over a decade with noise reduction enabled on my previous TV. "Of course I don't want video noise," I thought. Then one day on HD Nation they mentioned that noise reduction blurs the image. I then went into my settings and turned off noise reduction. I was surprised how much sharper the image was. It appears that's all noise reduction is really doing: blurring the pixels together. That said, if your cable company obviously over-compresses the signal, you may want MPEG Noise reduction on.

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #819 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staple View Post

JP, how do you switch settings between standard viewing and movie viewing? Do you really use the magic remote's "home" button and change each one by one?

Thanks.

When you apply a picture setting, it applies only to the given input source. I think the picture settings are unique for each individual TV channel as well, but I'm a cord-cutter so I can't confirm that. So, for example, you could have one picture setting for ESPN (sports) and a different picture setting for HBO (movies).

In my case I expect to use my Roku (HDMI1) primarily for TV content viewing and my new Blu-ray player (HDMI2) primarily for movies. So, I can set different picture settings for each. When I switch between input sources, the picture setting changes automatically. I don't see a way to set a consistent picture setting for the Smart TV content. If anyone knows how, please let me know.

At some point soon I hope to buy a new AV receiver, in part because my current one doesn't support HDMI. At that point all my sources will come into the TV via a single HDMI port (HDMI1). Then I probably won't be able to use different picture settings for the Roku and the Blu-ray player. (Note: Having both a Roku and a Smart TV is overkill, but I had the Roku first.)

I don't know of a way to take a picture setting and apply it globally to all sources.

As for switching input sources, the Q.MENU button is one quick way to do it. However, now I'm preferring to just move the pointer to the lower-left corner of the screen. The "My Apps" icon pops up. I click it to show the My Apps menu. I have "Input List," "Settings," and "User Guide" as my first three apps. I then click "Input List" to load the app for changing input sources. If anyone knows an easier way to change input sources, please let me know.

As I'm getting used to this TV more, most of the pet peeves I mentioned earlier are fading in importance.

For those who haven't seen it, HD Nation has a review/discussion of the LG LA7400 here (starting at 5:44).

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #820 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The 60" panel is direct lit while the 55" and 47" panels are edge lit. I don't know how much else is different, but that sounds like a pretty big difference to me. I don't know whether this results in different ideal calibration settings.

I can't answer if the settings differ from direct lit to edge lit, or even from one panel to the next of the same size/technology. No 2 components are identical. The more components, the more 2 sets are not identical. So seems logical to me that settings may not be identical either - but they should give you a decent starting point.
Quote:
While artificially vibrant settings may look nice, they don't accurately reproduce the original image. An audio equivalent is boosting your E.Q.'s treble and bass. Most people prefer the sound, but it's not an accurate reproduction of the original source.

That's actually a very good analogy. Being a bit of an audiophile and having been around live music most of my life, I'd argue that the original source (disc) has little to do with sounds in real life.

Music isn't played in stereo or surround sound - but must be converted and mixed to play through your speakers. Each instrument plays separately, but is lumped together when recorded. I tend to use FLAC or WAV files (supposedly lossless file formats, but nothing is truly lossless) to save my music, and adjust my equalizers to the most realistic sound possible. The problem is that studios use different recording levels etc., meaning it's very difficult to find a setting that works for everything. I can tell live if a drummer is using Paiste or Zildjian cymbals, but often can't on a music CD until I adjust frequencies/equalizer.

The same applies to video. Many different images, lighting (artificial and natural), etc. is lumped together to play through your hardware. I'm trying to get the more realistic presentations than the original source offers. Seems strange to me that anyone would want original source duplication unless it is more accurate to real life - and it rarely is.
Quote:
I found I get completely different calibrated settings depending on the Picture Mode I choose.
Same here, which is why I stated what I'm using and why. I find that a customized Standard view gives me the best settings for my situation.
Quote:
Are these settings for a composite connection?

I only use HDMI connections for Blu-ray, PC, and PS3. No composite connections. No cable provider, antenna only for free to air (Australia) for normal and HD digital content. Hard drives connected via USB for Time Machine II (time shifting and recording). My movies and TV series are stored on external drives connected to the PC via E-SATA. I tend to use my PC for everything other than the evening news and occasional sports.
Quote:
Also, I found that the 16:9 option results in about 2% overscan. "Just Scan" is better for HDMI connections, but is unavailable for Composite connections.

I'd read your post about overscan and looked up a couple definitions. Still don't really understand it. When using the computer I have no overscan obviously. Since my TV uses PAL setting, it's not a concern for me?
Quote:
I spent over a decade with noise reduction enabled on my previous TV. "Of course I don't want video noise," I thought. Then one day on HD Nation they mentioned that noise reduction blurs the image. I then went into my settings and turned off noise reduction. I was surprised how much sharper the image was. It appears that's all noise reduction is really doing: blurring the pixels together. That said, if your cable company obviously over-compresses the signal, you may want MPEG Noise reduction on.

I tried all settings and found that Low gives me what I prefer. When turning off Noise reduction edges tend to get jagged, higher settings makes the picture too soft. Comes down to personal preference I guess.
post #821 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
lip sync issue confirmed to be the 1080/24hz issue on ps4, changing to 60hz fixed the issue. issue wasn't the 60LA7400
post #822 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Edge Lit? Doesn't the LA7400 series all have Local Dimming? Look under "Technical Specifications":

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60LA7400-led-tv

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LA7400-led-tv

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LA7400-led-tv

Am I missing something?

Click For My Website -

post #823 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks like the newest update - updated the Netflix app to its new UI. Very nice ! Check it out. smile.gif
post #824 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klopez3709 View Post

Looks like the newest update - updated the Netflix app to its new UI. Very nice ! Check it out. smile.gif
Really.....I didn't notice any difference after the newest update.
post #825 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Shan- update 5.03. 06? Just was updated to my set today. I really wish LG would give us update notes.
post #826 of 1269 Old 12-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Edge Lit? Doesn't the LA7400 series all have Local Dimming? Look under "Technical Specifications":

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60LA7400-led-tv

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LA7400-led-tv

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LA7400-led-tv

Am I missing something?

According to CNET, local dimming is available on both edge-lit and full-array LED TVs, so I don't understand what point you're making.

I'm just going by what Amazon and Crutchfield say for the 60LA7400. The 60" model has been a mystery all year with LG and retailers even posting incorrect photos it.

Here's what Crutchfield says:

47LA7400: LED (edge-lit w/ local dim)

55LA7400: LED (edge-lit w/ local dim)

60LA7400: LED (Direct-lit w/ local dim)

Here's what Amazon says about the LA7400's LED backlighting: "Edge LED+(60" Direct LED w/ Dimming)"

That said, the 60LA7400 is prone to flashlighting which, as I understand, is common on edge-lit LED TVs. The 60" model also seems quite thin for a direct-lit TV.

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #827 of 1269 Old 12-24-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:

When you apply a picture setting, it applies only to the given input source. I think the picture settings are unique for each individual TV channel as well, but I'm a cord-cutter so I can't confirm that. So, for example, you could have one picture setting for ESPN (sports) and a different picture setting for HBO (movies).

In my case I expect to use my Roku (HDMI1) primarily for TV content viewing and my new Blu-ray player (HDMI2) primarily for movies. So, I can set different picture settings for each. When I switch between input sources, the picture setting changes automatically. I don't see a way to set a consistent picture setting for the Smart TV content. If anyone knows how, please let me know.

At some point soon I hope to buy a new AV receiver, in part because my current one doesn't support HDMI. At that point all my sources will come into the TV via a single HDMI port (HDMI1). Then I probably won't be able to use different picture settings for the Roku and the Blu-ray player. (Note: Having both a Roku and a Smart TV is overkill, but I had the Roku first.)

I don't know of a way to take a picture setting and apply it globally to all sources.

As for switching input sources, the Q.MENU button is one quick way to do it. However, now I'm preferring to just move the pointer to the lower-left corner of the screen. The "My Apps" icon pops up. I click it to show the My Apps menu. I have "Input List," "Settings," and "User Guide" as my first three apps. I then click "Input List" to load the app for changing input sources. If anyone knows an easier way to change input sources, please let me know.

As I'm getting used to this TV more, most of the pet peeves I mentioned earlier are fading in importance.

For those who haven't seen it, HD Nation has a review/discussion of the LG LA7400 here (starting at 5:44).

Everything goes through my Onkyo to HDMI 1 so I have to change settings each time I switch inputs. Your "my apps" idea is good though since for some silly reason I can't get to the q.menu when I hit the q.menu button on the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasim Pathan View Post

lip sync issue confirmed to be the 1080/24hz issue on ps4, changing to 60hz fixed the issue. issue wasn't the 60LA7400

Is the 24hz issue the same on the ps3? I couldn't find how to change it to 60hz. What changes when I do make the switch?
post #828 of 1269 Old 12-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

According to CNET, local dimming is available on both edge-lit and full-array LED TVs, so I don't understand what point you're making.

I'm just going by what Amazon and Crutchfield say for the 60LA7400. The 60" model has been a mystery all year with LG and retailers even posting incorrect photos it.

Here's what Crutchfield says:

47LA7400: LED (edge-lit w/ local dim)

55LA7400: LED (edge-lit w/ local dim)

60LA7400: LED (Direct-lit w/ local dim)

Here's what Amazon says about the LA7400's LED backlighting: "Edge LED+(60" Direct LED w/ Dimming)"

That said, the 60LA7400 is prone to flashlighting which, as I understand, is common on edge-lit LED TVs. The 60" model also seems quite thin for a direct-lit TV.

That's what I was missng. I did not know that local dimming was for edge-lit. Thanks.

Click For My Website -

post #829 of 1269 Old 12-24-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

i'll have to check on the ps3, but on ps4 it was in video settings, set 1080p/24 to OFF.

regarding local dimming, you can have it on both edge lit and direct lit led, it just means they can turn off the led's individually whether on the perimeter of the screen or spread all around behind the screen. i don't see any flashlighting on the 60, i am leaving local dimming to high.
post #830 of 1269 Old 12-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:

i don't see any flashlighting on the 60, i am leaving local dimming to high.

My 60LA7400 didn't have any flashlighting when it first arrived on Wednesday, but I've started to get some in the corners over the past two days. So far it's not anything that affects images on the screen. I hope it's not something that gets progressively worse over time.

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #831 of 1269 Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Does anyone know if there is an inherent difference between isf expert1 and isf expert2? I am using the same settings for both and swapping between them I see a difference in the picture. For example, 1 seems a little darker than 2. There is no mention of it in the manual.

I originally thought that one is for day and the other night but I'm not sure. Watching some blu rays during the day in a bright room, the picture seems dark to me. Anyone have suggestions on which setting(s) to tweak to brighten the picture without over saturation?
post #832 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Is there anything I can do about the following issue, other than return it? You can see in the lower right edge of the screen that there is flashlighting or light bleed...I'm not familiar with the proper terminology, but it's annoying. This makes widescreen movies almost impossible to watch. I have tried turning down the backlight, turned off the local dimming, but nothing changes this. I am still within my 30-day return period, btw.

I have the same flashlight effect as radio81 on the 60la7400. The same place and maybe a little worse. I got it from PC Richards(wish I would have waited) and it seems like they have no returns on tv's over 50".

Any ideas on how to fix/improve it? I like the tv besides this issue. Going to try bias lighting behind the tv. I was messing with the local dimming last night but didn't notice any difference on the picture at all from adjusting it low, medium, high, off.
post #833 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 PM

I was just in Best Buy tonight looking at the 55LA7400. Based on what I've read I was ready to buy but just wanted to see it first. They had videos from the LG website running on the TV. The problem was the picture looked awful. The edges of everything were kind of jagged, fuzzy or blurry. I mean really bad. Anything that was a straight line was jagged. I wanted to ask a sales rep to put something else on to see if the source was the issue or the TV but after a half hour of not being able to get help I left.

I've not seen this online as an issue but wanted to check with people who have it. It was big enough of an issue that I would never buy it without being able to see something else on it.

Can anyone let me know if they've seen this?
post #834 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 05:11 PM

I also have the same issue with flash lighting at the bottom right corner when viewing the t.v. in a dark room. I'm thinking about returning it to micro center and just eat the 15% restocking fee. Is there a fix for flash lighting other than to return it?

post #835 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

i have the same flashlighting, lower right hand corner, it was bad when i got the set, i have almost made it go away by pushing gently on the corner with microfiber cloth and loosing the two screws in the back quarter turn. its barely noticeable now.
post #836 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 07:43 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

i have the same flashlighting, lower right hand corner, it was bad when i got the set, i have almost made it go away by pushing gently on the corner with microfiber cloth and loosing the two screws in the back quarter turn. its barely noticeable now.
You didn't massage it?
post #837 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

lol. yes. its goofy but it worked. i think it has something to do with how much they torque the screws into the screen.
post #838 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

post #839 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Are there screws on the bottom in the back? The only ones I found are underneath, smaller, and don't look the same as the ones on the back and side.

I tried putting a light behind the tv and that made it almost unnoticeable. Waiting for the bias lighting kit...
post #840 of 1269 Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

they are on the back, not bottom of the tv, don't loosen too much,
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page