Official 2013 LG xxLA7400 Owner's Thread. - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1274 Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
popsmear, is yours the 60 inch? looks like flashlighting issue is more prevalent on the 60. did you try increasing the local dimming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1274 Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Forgot to mention that yes, it is the 60 inch. I have "LED Local Dimming" to off, but I believe I tried it differently. I will try it again when I get home and see. 

post #903 of 1274 Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasim Pathan View Post

popsmear, is yours the 60 inch? looks like flashlighting issue is more prevalent on the 60. did you try increasing the local dimming?

So, the local dimming does not affect the severe lower right flashlighting. The general flashlighting I see on a full black screen does not bother me at all, and its hard to notice when something is actually playing. I am not sure if the dimming affected this or not.

As I search the thread this seems to be a very common issue. Here is a picture from Radio81 that is very close to mine (the spot is exactly the same however):

The Fix? Return it :/

Though apparently you were able to massage yours out...

post #904 of 1274 Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If it is something that you notice everytime you watch, then return/exchange it. The only issue I know is that exchanging is a gamble - you may have the same problem or the exchanged set could be worse. I hope you end up winning.smile.gif
post #905 of 1274 Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Liked: 10
Yep same here. Tapping about 6-8 inches left and a little up from it helped. I have the backlight set to 38-40 for everything. Local dimming helps if it's a dark scene. Bias lighting is great and would use it even if this issue didn't exist. I can't return mine so it's not an option. 60" panel.

Also I don't notice it at all with the new settings except when the changing setting black screen comes up. (Local Dimming doesn't seem to affect the menu screens)
post #906 of 1274 Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Purchased the 55LA7400 having volume issue with set, and not sure if it is my cable box or there is some volume setting on tv that is disabled. Cable Box is Scientific Atlanta, volume control thru cable box does not adjust volume at all.

We do not have any external speakers, HDMI cable is going to cable box, cable box volume is at highest level(30), when we use Magic remote to increase volume it will only go so high. We have 24" TVs with higher volume capability than the 55". 

I asked at MicroCenter, called LG, nobody can figure out why I can not seem to get a higher volume. My next step is returning cable box to get a new one to see if it is the box itself.

Any ideas?

post #907 of 1274 Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 AM

Finally managed to get the ARC working on 55LA7400 and Denon 2312!

Have been searching high and low for solutions to get smartTV content to play thru the Denon, and after countless search and even resetting my Denon (which still failed), I finally manage to resolve it.

Connection:
VERIZON FIOS Motorola STB -> HDMI -> Denon -> TV
Denon HDMI control set to "On"
TV under sound setting set to "external speakers"

And the key that solved my problem: setting the Simplink to ON. This was my first LG TV so I was very new to the simplink terms and could not find where this feature was. Sorry if this was known to many here.....but it really took me 3 days to find it.

Simplink can be found under the INPUTs Apps, below the screen, when they show you the multiple input source. Switch all the options to "On", and I can now play back youtube via Denon. I have to choose TV as the source for the Denon. And now when I turn off the TV, it also turns off the Denon (but not vice versa).

To switch to cable, I have to select the right source for the Denon, and it will play back accordingly.

Hope this info helps.
post #908 of 1274 Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM

Arc and Calibration

Hello, I have had this TV (60LA6400) for about three weeks now.

I tried getting ARC to work (On a Pioneer Elite SC-71 receiver) with no luck. I know ARC works on my pioneer (and with my setup) since I have two other TVs (A Samsung and a Sony Bravia) where ARC works flawlessly. So it is DEFINITELY a problem of the LG TV, I have also tried five different HDMI Cables, ranging from USD 5 to USD 125 dollars, no luck. I ended up using an optical connection, you get better sound that way anyway...

Regarding the calibration, I followed the instructions to do the full White 20 point calibration and ended up with less-than-satisfactory results (See http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-la7400-picture-settings.html)

After doing all those settings, the overall screen looks good, until you have a really dark image (for example, the hobbit, where Bilbo is underground with Gollum) Everything that should be a dark gray or dark brown becomes a blotch of what I would describe as pastel colored brown. I dont know what settings to play with without breaking the rest of the calibration.

Any clues?

Thank you!
post #909 of 1274 Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxManiac View Post

Arc and Calibration

Hello, I have had this TV (60LA6400) for about three weeks now.

I tried getting ARC to work (On a Pioneer Elite SC-71 receiver) with no luck. I know ARC works on my pioneer (and with my setup) since I have two other TVs (A Samsung and a Sony Bravia) where ARC works flawlessly. So it is DEFINITELY a problem of the LG TV, I have also tried five different HDMI Cables, ranging from USD 5 to USD 125 dollars, no luck. I ended up using an optical connection, you get better sound that way anyway...

Regarding the calibration, I followed the instructions to do the full White 20 point calibration and ended up with less-than-satisfactory results (See http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-la7400-picture-settings.html)

After doing all those settings, the overall screen looks good, until you have a really dark image (for example, the hobbit, where Bilbo is underground with Gollum) Everything that should be a dark gray or dark brown becomes a blotch of what I would describe as pastel colored brown. I dont know what settings to play with without breaking the rest of the calibration.

Any clues?

Thank you!

For the ARC: Did you activate simplink? Accessed from the "Input Device" app, bottom of screen.
post #910 of 1274 Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Arc and Calibration

Any clues?

Thank you!

I tried that calibration too but didn't like the results. I wonder if it's different for every panel?

Usually for the blotchy pixelated dark areas it's because the brightness is too high. Try setting the brightness to mid-low 30s. You can adjust it up from there until you see them again. I think mine is 38 or 40ish.
post #911 of 1274 Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CY Tan View Post

For the ARC: Did you activate simplink? Accessed from the "Input Device" app, bottom of screen.

Sir... you are a genious.

I cannot believe that that setting could be SO hidden... It cost me about 10h (about 4h of those with the absolutely USELESS LG support) so many tears, blood and sweat. ARC works perfectly now. DAMN LG....

Thank you so much =)

smile.gif
post #912 of 1274 Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Finally managed to get the ARC working on 55LA7400 and Denon 2312!

Have been searching high and low for solutions to get smartTV content to play thru the Denon, and after countless search and even resetting my Denon (which still failed), I finally manage to resolve it.

Connection:
VERIZON FIOS Motorola STB -> HDMI -> Denon -> TV
Denon HDMI control set to "On"
TV under sound setting set to "external speakers"

And the key that solved my problem: setting the Simplink to ON. This was my first LG TV so I was very new to the simplink terms and could not find where this feature was. Sorry if this was known to many here.....but it really took me 3 days to find it.

Simplink can be found under the INPUTs Apps, below the screen, when they show you the multiple input source. Switch all the options to "On", and I can now play back youtube via Denon. I have to choose TV as the source for the Denon. And now when I turn off the TV, it also turns off the Denon (but not vice versa).

To switch to cable, I have to select the right source for the Denon, and it will play back accordingly.

Hope this info helps.

Yes, LG doesn't tell you, but apparently you have to enable SimpLink to get ARC to work. SimpLink is LG's brand name for HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). HDMI CEC needs to be enabled in both the TV and the receiver for ARC to work.

So, since you have a Denon receiver, I'm wondering if you also experience this problem. If so, have you figured out a solution. So far, no one has. Here's a summary of the problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterwolfes View Post

I've got a question about the ARC functionality on this TV. I have a Denon AVR-1712 which supports ARC. I have my set top box and blu ray player both going directly into my receiver and then the receiver feeds these to the TV through HDMI. So I only have 1 HDMI going out to the TV.

With this set up, my cable and blu ray both have the sound coming through my home theater system and I want the streaming stuff (Netflix and Amazong, etc) on the TV to also come through the home theater. so I enabled ARC and simplink, I turn HDMI control on in the AVR-1712. When I do this, the TV takes over the receiver. It allows me to control the volume with the Magic Remote (when I hit the volume button it says Home Theater on the bottom right and shows the volume going up). And when I do this, the volume does go up on the receiver. Everything seems to work fine when I put on Netflix. The sound goes through the ARC output and comes out the receiver.

Then I go back to cable or my Blu Ray and that is where I have the problem. The sound never switches back. It seems to get stuck on the ARC setting and the only way I can get it to go back to playing the sound for my set top or blu ray player is to go back through my receiver's settings and disable the HDMI control (which is kind of a pain).

Does anyone know if there is a setting or something I am missing here? Should the ARC functionality be able to turn itself on and off automatically or is it something I need to do every time myself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

Are you saying that if you press the "TV Audio" button on the receiver's remote and then press its "Blu-ray" button, you continue to get sound from the TV instead of the Blu-ray player?
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterwolfes View Post

That's exactly what I'm saying.
post #913 of 1274 Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightTo View Post

I tried that calibration too but didn't like the results. I wonder if it's different for every panel?

Usually for the blotchy pixelated dark areas it's because the brightness is too high. Try setting the brightness to mid-low 30s. You can adjust it up from there until you see them again. I think mine is 38 or 40ish.

RighTo, after playing a lot... I figured that in the very last IRE setting,
IRE 5
RED 10
GREEN 8
BLUE -50

Seemed to give great results. (I wonder if it was a print mistake, original value in the guide is +50). I have most of my settings as the guide recommends. I tried the Brightness settings you suggested but the blotches were still there. After setting the IRE 5 values to what I posted it looks really good but not what I would consider perfect. So if you or anybody else has some suggestions, they are more than welcome.
post #914 of 1274 Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

Yes, LG doesn't tell you, but apparently you have to enable SimpLink to get ARC to work. SimpLink is LG's brand name for HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). HDMI CEC needs to be enabled in both the TV and the receiver for ARC to work.

So, since you have a Denon receiver, I'm wondering if you also experience this problem. If so, have you figured out a solution. So far, no one has. Here's a summary of the problem:

I read those comments before. My Denon froze at TV input once, and hung....no response to any buttons pressed. Plug out the mains and it worked again.

Again my setup.
Only ONE HDMI from Denon to LG TV.
BD, PS3, Xbox, Wii Verizon STB, all connected to Denon.

What DOES happen is when I first turn on the system, whichever source I choose for the Denon, the LG will switch the source back to TV.....this happens for the first few seconds. After that, I can still switch source with the corresponding audio.

Have not experienced what was described by the other posters you quoted. I must add that my magic remote is set to control the verizon box and not the Denon...not sure if that matters.
post #915 of 1274 Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

simplink works for the ps4 (need to turn on HDMI link in settings menu) however magic remote don't function within ps4 apps (like netflix)
post #916 of 1274 Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:

I read those comments before. My Denon froze at TV input once, and hung....no response to any buttons pressed. Plug out the mains and it worked again.

Again my setup.
Only ONE HDMI from Denon to LG TV.
BD, PS3, Xbox, Wii Verizon STB, all connected to Denon.

What DOES happen is when I first turn on the system, whichever source I choose for the Denon, the LG will switch the source back to TV.....this happens for the first few seconds. After that, I can still switch source with the corresponding audio.

Have not experienced what was described by the other posters you quoted. I must add that my magic remote is set to control the verizon box and not the Denon...not sure if that matters.

That's awesome! Thanks. I was really starting to worry about getting a Denon receiver to go with this TV. That said, I've now got my old pre-HDMI receiver wired up nicely so the gains from buying a new receiver would be limited. All HDMI devices get plugged directly into the TV, and then the TV passes audio to the receiver via optical.
post #917 of 1274 Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:

simplink works for the ps4 (need to turn on HDMI link in settings menu) however magic remote don't function within ps4 apps (like netflix)

FYI, I am absolutely loving using the Logitech Harmony 650 remote. I strongly prefer it over the Magic Remote. I long rejected the idea of paying $60+ for a remote, but I grabbed it from Best Buy on a Black Friday special. One thing it can't do is operate the TV's extremely slow web browser. It also maxes out at operating five devices. I'm at the max right now: TV, receiver, Blu-ray player, Roku, DVD/VCR.

By the way, how are you liking the PS4?
post #918 of 1274 Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

ps4 is nice, i have it hooked up with a darbee video processor and PQ is amazing with LG. i have a 650 as well and setup is a bit complicated so i have a few remotes i use. i got the 650 to run 12 devices, the way to trick it if you have an older remote, i have a broken 550 with a cracked LCD, i program every thing with the 550, then swap the 650 at the last minute and it loads everything including the 12 device control into the 650 (or setup a profile with the 550 and then restore that to the 650 and everything works great)
post #919 of 1274 Old 01-12-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:

i have a 650 as well and setup is a bit complicated so i have a few remotes i use.

I don't understand why people say the Harmony 650's setup is complicated. I found it extremely easy. I just went to setup.myharmony.com and told it which devices I own. It recognized all of them. It even had a configuration profile for my decade-old receiver. I then modified a few buttons to better fit the way I use my devices and was done. It's great pressing a single button and having three devices power on and configure themselves properly.
post #920 of 1274 Old 01-12-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

sorry meant to say my setup is complicated, not the setup of the remote. BTW you can cast with chrome browser right to the TV, i have been playing some 4k videos to the TV and it looks great.
post #921 of 1274 Old 01-12-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:

RighTo, after playing a lot... I figured that in the very last IRE setting,
IRE 5
RED 10
GREEN 8
BLUE -50

Seemed to give great results. (I wonder if it was a print mistake, original value in the guide is +50). I have most of my settings as the guide recommends. I tried the Brightness settings you suggested but the blotches were still there. After setting the IRE 5 values to what I posted it looks really good but not what I would consider perfect. So if you or anybody else has some suggestions, they are more than welcome.

Thanks a lot for this tip. I had purple haze in dark scenes and by making this change, the expert setting is now fixed. Thanks again.
post #922 of 1274 Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:

BTW you can cast with chrome browser right to the TV, i have been playing some 4k videos to the TV and it looks great.

We can do that without buying a ChromeCast? How does that work? Does it only work with Google sites like YouTube? I'd love to do that with cbs.com.
post #923 of 1274 Old 01-13-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

zerodebt: thanks for the tip, will try it. i know its possible to cal out because i don't see the blue blocking artifacts on the quick AV settings.
JP: you don't need a chromecast, just install the chromecast software from google, it will detect the tV automatically, just to check i unplugged to chromecast dongle and it streamed just fine. only quirk is that some videos won't load unless i back out of the youtube app, which seems to engage when you do casting from the laptop or phone. (you may have to install the phone app, which does the same thing)
post #924 of 1274 Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:

JP: you don't need a chromecast, just install the chromecast software from google, it will detect the tV automatically, just to check i unplugged to chromecast dongle and it streamed just fine. only quirk is that some videos won't load unless i back out of the youtube app, which seems to engage when you do casting from the laptop or phone. (you may have to install the phone app, which does the same thing)

I can't get it to work. I'm trying from a Windows 7 PC running the Chrome browser. I installed the Google Cast extension. It says "No cast devices found."

What streaming technology is being used, DLNA or Miracast? I'm assuming DLNA. Windows doesn't support Miracast. How do you tell the TV to display the casted content? Do I need to launch a particular app on the TV (e.g. SmartShare)? Or perhaps does it get recognized as a source device in the Input List?

If a Chromecast dongle isn't needed, why did you have one plugged into your TV?
post #925 of 1274 Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

did you install the LG remote app on your iphone? it will ask for a pairing code, maybe that enables the TV as a device. on my chrome browser it shows the LG as a listed device to cast to.
post #926 of 1274 Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

post #927 of 1274 Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:

did you install the LG remote app on your iphone? it will ask for a pairing code, maybe that enables the TV as a device. on my chrome browser it shows the LG as a listed device to cast to.

Do you need to pair the TV and your computer Chrome Browser? Or it automatically detects the TV?
post #928 of 1274 Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

i only paired it with the phone, i didn't do anything on the laptop, it just showed up as a device on the icon, see the photo above. i think on the pc the only thing you need is the chromecast extension and the tv has be part of the wifi network.
post #929 of 1274 Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:

i only paired it with the phone, i didn't do anything on the laptop, it just showed up as a device on the icon, see the photo above. i think on the pc the only thing you need is the chromecast extension and the tv has be part of the wifi network.

OK, here's where I am:

On the TV, both Wi-Fi Direct and Miracast are enabled.

On Windows 7 Home Premium, I have the Google Chrome browser with the Google Cast extension installed. Also, in the Windows Control Panels -> Network and Sharing Center -> Choose Homegroup and Sharing Options -> Choose media streaming options, I have "[TV][LG]60LA7400" set to "Allowed".

On Apple iPod Touch, I have the following Google apps installed: YouTube, Chrome, and Chromecast. I also have the LG TV Remote app installed and paired with the TV.

I have successfully gotten the iPod's YouTube app to cast video to the TV, but I have not yet had success with the Chrome or Chromecast apps. From Windows, I have gotten the Chrome browser to cast a video from YouTube.com to the TV, but it's very finicky. The Google Cast extension is only occasionally recognizing the TV. This is huge progress, though. I still don't know if videos from non-Google sites (e.g. CBS.com, Hulu.com) will ever work.
post #930 of 1274 Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

JP, i notice the youtube app launches better when you completely out of the smart apps and youtube app, ie launching from TV mode. its a bit flaky but still 100x easier to use that the built in youtube app for searching.

btw the chromecast dongle works much easier, i just have all my hdmi ports tied up.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page