Official 2013 LG xxLA7400 Owner's Thread. - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1263 Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im considering mounting the TV on the wall and noticed that the ethernet port is directly on the back of the TV, unlike the HDMI ports on the side. Did anyone have trouble with the cable getting in the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1263 Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by samops03 View Post

Im considering mounting the TV on the wall and noticed that the ethernet port is directly on the back of the TV, unlike the HDMI ports on the side. Did anyone have trouble with the cable getting in the way?

I think most users from reading used the built in wifi instead of ethernet. As far as your getting in the way question i cant answer since i never wall mount. Especially on these sets where 20 degrees takes a hit on contrast
post #993 of 1263 Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 PM

I haven't seen anyone mention it so maybe I got a bad set. Does anyone notice a lot of vertical banding? We got the set last week and have been watching a lot of the winter Olympics and it has been dreadful.

This should demonstrate the issue if you have it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmqhAtdjE0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
post #994 of 1263 Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hifidig-

Funny I was about to post the exact same question. I have had my set for two months and had never noticed the vertical lines. Now I have been watching the Olympics and it is very noticeable. Seems to show up on light backgrounds. Now I see it all of the time. I stopped by Best Buy and the associate said the board is bad. Unfortunately I'm passed my 30 day return and I had no idea that LG charges $100 to send a tech to repair. Last LG I buy if that's the case. I will be calling tomorrow.
post #995 of 1263 Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post

Hifidig-

Funny I was about to post the exact same question. I have had my set for two months and had never noticed the vertical lines. Now I have been watching the Olympics and it is very noticeable. Seems to show up on light backgrounds. Now I see it all of the time. I stopped by Best Buy and the associate said the board is bad. Unfortunately I'm passed my 30 day return and I had no idea that LG charges $100 to send a tech to repair. Last LG I buy if that's the case. I will be calling tomorrow.

Let us know what they say, I have only watched hockey during the Olympics so far and haven't noticed anything. I keep noise reduction at low, local dimming at low, and dejudder at 2 and deblur at 10
post #996 of 1263 Old 02-14-2014, 05:38 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by samops03 View Post

The AV, ethernet, and antenna connections are all mounted on the flat part of the screen and pointing straight back, above the stand guard. The stand guard sticks out an inch more. The set should not be mounted flat against the wall either, usually a gap of 1/2-2 inches is provided by the mounting bracket. So none of the back connections should create any problem with wall mounting.

They may be a bit hard to get at, depending upon your setup, if you should want to add or remove them later on. Tilt brackets help tremendously in that regard and allow you to mount higher to eliminate the viewing angles. It's really all about personal preference.

Most people would also drill a hole in the wall for cable management to avoid unsightly cables hanging below the set. Placing that hole directly behind the connections will allow even more room for accessing them and help to avoid 90 degree angles on the cabling.
post #997 of 1263 Old 02-15-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I have noticed that the YouTube app for this TV experiences significant overscan. I'm trying to watch a series of video lectures and the text on the professor's slides is getting cropped. I minimized the problem by pressing the remote's 123/Q.MENU button and selecting "Original" as my picture size. (The default picture size was "Full".) "Original" has the least overscan of the available options, but the overscan is still significant.

I compared the LA7400's YouTube app to the nearly identical YouTube app on the Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-ray player. For the Blu-ray player's HDMI input, I have the aspect ratio set to "Just Scan". Using the Blu-ray player's YouTube app I get no overscan problem whatsoever.

I can watch the same scene on the same video on both the TV's YouTube app and the Blu-ray player's YouTube app, and it becomes quite obvious that the TV's YouTube app crops off the horizontal edges of the video.

The videos I'm watching are 4:3. I have not yet tested with 16:9 videos. Nor have I tested to see if other apps experience the same problem.
post #998 of 1263 Old 02-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Liked: 12
Just a quick question for all of the owners out there. I just received my replacement set for the intermittent flashing issue I had. All looks pretty good so far, but while moving it to more properly center it on my stand, I noticed thematic e covering the panel rattles inside of the bezel.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I don't remember this with my previous set, but I am not sure the same circumstances ever existed. It actually vibrates a little when my sub gets very loud.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

S. Egli
post #999 of 1263 Old 02-16-2014, 03:27 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEgli View Post

...but while moving it to more properly center it on my stand, I noticed thematic e covering the panel rattles inside of the bezel.

I'm not sure that I understand your question. On my 55" there is no way to move the set to center it on the stand. It has a go/no go type of stand which has no room for adjustment.

The plastic stand cover is very tight and does not rattle. In fact it took a bit of fiddling to get it to fit back on correctly, hard to get both sides to latch again - it's that tight. If this is what is rattling, did you put the 4 screws back in which hold it in place?
post #1000 of 1263 Old 02-16-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:

Just a quick question for all of the owners out there. I just received my replacement set for the intermittent flashing issue I had. All looks pretty good so far, but while moving it to more properly center it on my stand, I noticed thematic e covering the panel rattles inside of the bezel.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I don't remember this with my previous set, but I am not sure the same circumstances ever existed. It actually vibrates a little when my sub gets very loud.

Thanks,

S. Egli

I decided to return this set as my Panasonic st60 absolutely blows this tv out of the water. I originally bought this LG set because it is better for a bright room which it was. But after 8 days and all the tweaking in the world nothing made the picture look better. I too noticed that my screen inside the bezel actually had flex, went to best buy and so did there floor models, but other sets like Samsung and Vizio didn't have flex. I think it has something to do with how the screen is put together by LG. Anyway mine rattled too and I felt it was cheap and bad PQ. Sorry owners I guess I am a plasma guy still until OLED is cheaper and there is no more screen uniformity problems.
post #1001 of 1263 Old 02-16-2014, 01:25 PM

Well I found out LG only charges a travel fee if you live in BFE which I do not. I will be calling tomorrow to get this vertical ghosting or whatever you call it fixed. You don't notice it most of the time but once the background turns light and the camera starts panning it's very evident.
post #1002 of 1263 Old 02-16-2014, 04:42 PM

Was about to buy this tv after having
It in my amazon cart for a month or so. Seems to be discontinued.

Anyone have an idea when 2014 models will hit the stores?
post #1003 of 1263 Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

I have noticed that the YouTube app for this TV experiences significant overscan. I'm trying to watch a series of video lectures and the text on the professor's slides is getting cropped. I minimized the problem by pressing the remote's 123/Q.MENU button and selecting "Original" as my picture size. (The default picture size was "Full".) "Original" has the least overscan of the available options, but the overscan is still significant.

I compared the LA7400's YouTube app to the nearly identical YouTube app on the Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-ray player. For the Blu-ray player's HDMI input, I have the aspect ratio set to "Just Scan". Using the Blu-ray player's YouTube app I get no overscan problem whatsoever.

I can watch the same scene on the same video on both the TV's YouTube app and the Blu-ray player's YouTube app, and it becomes quite obvious that the TV's YouTube app crops off the horizontal edges of the video.

The videos I'm watching are 4:3. I have not yet tested with 16:9 videos. Nor have I tested to see if other apps experience the same problem.

YouTube app sucks on this TV....it was fine before the last 3 or 4 updates.
Like you said it cuts off the edges. I have the same settings as urs
post #1004 of 1263 Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsdad1 View Post

Was about to buy this tv after having
It in my amazon cart for a month or so. Seems to be discontinued.

Anyone have an idea when 2014 models will hit the stores?

The 60" model is still in stock on Amazon. Back in December someone in this thread noticed that the 47" and 55" models were disappearing from all stores.
post #1005 of 1263 Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma7820 View Post

I decided to return this set as my Panasonic st60 absolutely blows this tv out of the water. I originally bought this LG set because it is better for a bright room which it was. But after 8 days and all the tweaking in the world nothing made the picture look better.

I haven't seen the st60 and this TV with the same content side by side. The LG LA7400's picture presets are crap, but once calibrated properly the picture looks great. I have posted my calibrated settings here. The motion blur on this TV bugs me. I haven't seen 24 fps content on a similarly-sized plasma for comparison.
post #1006 of 1263 Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks,

S. Egli

Hi,

I saw your previous post about the intermittent flashing issues.  Are you still experiencing this with your new, replacement set?  Thinking about exchanging for a new one before my return period is up.  For me, it happens a couple times at the most every hour.  A little annoying.

Thanks!

post #1007 of 1263 Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifidig View Post

I haven't seen anyone mention it so maybe I got a bad set. Does anyone notice a lot of vertical banding? We got the set last week and have been watching a lot of the winter Olympics and it has been dreadful.

This should demonstrate the issue if you have it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmqhAtdjE0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hi,

I notice this a lot when I play FIFA 13 on my PS3.  You can see the black vertical banding a lot if you stare at the green field when playing.  Especially noticeable when the field moves side to side rapidly.

post #1008 of 1263 Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen the st60 and this TV with the same content side by side. The LG LA7400's picture presets are crap, but once calibrated properly the picture looks great. I have posted my calibrated settings here. The motion blur on this TV bugs me. I haven't seen 24 fps content on a similarly-sized plasma for comparison.

Hi

What are your Advanced Control and Picture Option settings? Thanks in advance.

post #1009 of 1263 Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Yep. That's exactly what I'm seeing.
post #1010 of 1263 Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy13 View Post

Hi,

I saw your previous post about the intermittent flashing issues.  Are you still experiencing this with your new, replacement set?  Thinking about exchanging for a new one before my return period is up.  For me, it happens a couple times at the most every hour.  A little annoying.

Thanks!

The new set has the same issue and I agree with you, it's 2 to 3 times an hour on average, although my previous set did it 5 or 6 times an hour once.

This new set also has terrible DSE/banding. There are some perfectly vertical lines that are so visible, its very distracting. One good thing about this set is flash lighting is almost nil. I am at my wits end and will probably return it. Now I am just trying to find something to replace it with.

I am looking at the Sony KDL-55W900A or the Samsung 60 inch 7100.

What a pain....
post #1011 of 1263 Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy13 View Post

Hi

What are your Advanced Control and Picture Option settings? Thanks in advance.

I didn't modify any of the Advanced Control settings. For the most part, the calibration disks only have tools for calibrating brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, and tint. In addition, when calibrating contrast (white levels), if light gray shades look pink instead of gray then in means color temperature is set too high. I did my calibration using the Standard picture mode. If you use a different picture mode, then you will get entirely different picture settings when calibrating.

As for the Picture Option settings, I have noise reduction and MPEG noise reduction turned off. That's personal preference because noise reduction works by causing a slight blurring effect. Motion Eye Care is turned off because I didn't like it's dimming effect. I currently have local dimming turned off because I suspect it may be related to the white flashes some of us have been seeing. I also don't notice any visual benefit to the local dimming options. I have Black Level set to Low because that seems to obviously result in darker black levels. My preferred TruMotion settings are now De-Judder: 3, De-Blur: 10. That seems to somewhat reduce (but not eliminate) motion blur/judder while mostly avoiding the soap opera effect.
post #1012 of 1263 Old 02-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I didn't modify any of the Advanced Control settings. For the most part, the calibration disks only have tools for calibrating brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, and tint. In addition, when calibrating contrast (white levels), if light gray shades look pink instead of gray then in means color temperature is set too high. I did my calibration using the Standard picture mode. If you use a different picture mode, then you will get entirely different picture settings when calibrating.

As for the Picture Option settings, I have noise reduction and MPEG noise reduction turned off. That's personal preference because noise reduction works by causing a slight blurring effect. Motion Eye Care is turned off because I didn't like it's dimming effect. I currently have local dimming turned off because I suspect it may be related to the white flashes some of us have been seeing. I also don't notice any visual benefit to the local dimming options. I have Black Level set to Low because that seems to obviously result in darker black levels. My preferred TruMotion settings are now De-Judder: 3, De-Blur: 10. That seems to somewhat reduce (but not eliminate) motion blur/judder while mostly avoiding the soap opera effect.

Hey  James,

Has turning off Local Dimming stopped the flashing for you?  If that's it, I wouldn't have a problem knowing it was traced to something like this and not a potential fault that was going to bite me somewhere down the line.

By the way, how is the "DSE" on your set?

S. Egli

post #1013 of 1263 Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry this was probably answered a few times but what are some good settings for "PC"? All I have is just 1 PC input. Close enough is sufficient I usually like the results I get off my Spyder from there. 60LA7400 replacing a 2007 Samsung.
post #1014 of 1263 Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Hey  James,

Has turning off Local Dimming stopped the flashing for you?  If that's it, I wouldn't have a problem knowing it was traced to something like this and not a potential fault that was going to bite me somewhere down the line.

By the way, how is the "DSE" on your set?

S. Egli

Turning off Local Dimming has not completely stopped the flashing. This is just anecdotal, but I may see it less often with lower Local Dimming settings and more often with higher settings. The problem with testing is that the flashing seems random, so if I see it less often for a period of time it's hard to know if that's because of a settings change or if it's just the nature of randomness. I definitely often see a flash at the very moment when I change my Local Dimming setting. So, if I'm in the settings controls and I change Local Dimming from Off to Low, I will often (but not always) see a white flash at that moment. (I think someone else on here said he sees a flash when a video stream changes bitrate, so it may be due to a change in video processing in use, rather than specifically local dimming.)

I have never seen flashing like this on an ordinary laptop LCD screen, so I'm running on the assumption that it's caused by something that is different between a dumb LCD screen and a TV. What is different? Local dimming, TruMotion, LED backlights. Anything else?

One thing that occurred to me today is that this TV uses a pulse backlight to reduce motion blur. LG says this is a 240 Hz TV, but it's really 120 Hz with a pulse backlight. Most high-end TVs use a pulse or scanning backlight to double the motion resolution. Perhaps we're seeing one of the pulses that is out of sync or too powerful. The pulse backlight is part of the TruMotion feature. Two possibilities for minimizing the problem may be to either turn off TruMotion or reduce the Backlight level. These are just hypotheses; I haven't tested them yet.

One thing you could try is watching the TV for an extended period in Game Mode with the Backlight turned down to 50. Game Mode turns off most processor-intensive video processing. If the flashing is related to a processor-intensive setting being temporarily pushed beyond its limit, Game Mode might help you identify that. Game Mode causes major motion blur and isn't something you'd want to do permanently, but it might help for testing. If the flashing is caused instead by the backlight being pushed beyond its reasonable limits, turning down the backlight setting might help. Ideally you want to find a state in which the flashing occurs, then find another state in which it doesn't occur, then systematically test to see what difference between the two states is the cause of the flashing.

As for DSE, I don't see it at all when watching the TV normally. The Disney WOW calibration disk has some tests that demonstrate the color uniformity (or lack thereof) of the panel. Those tests showed that the TV has color uniformity issues. One test is a solid magenta color that fills the screen. If the screen isn't uniform, the color will vary between reddish and purplish shades of magenta. With that test I clearly saw that the panel's color was not uniform. In normal viewing, however, I don't see any DSE.
post #1015 of 1263 Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte View Post

Sorry this was probably answered a few times but what are some good settings for "PC"? All I have is just 1 PC input. Close enough is sufficient I usually like the results I get off my Spyder from there. 60LA7400 replacing a 2007 Samsung.

I don't understand the question. Any setting should work with a PC. If you play PC video games using the TV, then you would definitely want to use the TV's Game Mode picture setting.
post #1016 of 1263 Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Downloading a firmware update but as usual, no clue what's new or what's changing.
post #1017 of 1263 Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't understand the question. Any setting should work with a PC. If you play PC video games using the TV, then you would definitely want to use the TV's Game Mode picture setting.

PC is the input but its mostly just TV/Movie viewing

I got a bit better results playing around with it for about an hour this morning. I'm not 100% on the spyder results it seems to make it too dark and blow out shadow detail. I guess "close enough" is fine for PC use but for TV... Just found these I will try later (this is what I was asking)

Post Calibration Picture Settings
•Picture Mode ISF Expert 1
•Backlight 85
•Contrast 90
•Brightness 53
•Energy Saving Off
•H Sharpnes 10
•V Sharpness 10
•Color 60
•Tint 0

Expert Mode
•Dynamic Contrast Off
•Super Resolution Off
•Color Gamut Range Standard
•Edge Enhancer Off
•Color Filter Off
•White Balance 20pt (See Table)
•Color Temp Warm2
•Method 20pt IRE
•Pattern Outer
•Aspect Ratio Just Scan

Picture Option
•Noise Reduction Off
•MPEG Noise Reduction Off
•Black Level Low
•Real Cinema Off
•Motion Eye Care Off
•LED Local Dimming Off
•Tru Motion Off

20pt White Balance
IRE Red Green Blue
100 (130 Luminance) -32 0 2
95 -28 -13 -7
90 -16 0 8
85 -9 -6 -9
80 0 -8 -7
75 -1 -16 -17
70 -1 -14 -12
65 -6 -24 -20
60 -10 -21 -13
55 -16 -24 -18
50 -16 -21 -15
45 -18 -21 -18
40 -15 -20 -14
35 -17 -18 -17
30 -15 -17 -17
25 -16 -17 -19
20 -18 -19 -24
15 -20 -18 -26
10 -18 -18 -50
5 10 8 50
post #1018 of 1263 Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Turning off Local Dimming has not completely stopped the flashing. This is just anecdotal, but I may see it less often with lower Local Dimming settings and more often with higher settings. The problem with testing is that the flashing seems random, so if I see it less often for a period of time it's hard to know if that's because of a settings change or if it's just the nature of randomness. I definitely often see a flash at the very moment when I change my Local Dimming setting. So, if I'm in the settings controls and I change Local Dimming from Off to Low, I will often (but not always) see a white flash at that moment. (I think someone else on here said he sees a flash when a video stream changes bitrate, so it may be due to a change in video processing in use, rather than specifically local dimming.)

I have never seen flashing like this on an ordinary laptop LCD screen, so I'm running on the assumption that it's caused by something that is different between a dumb LCD screen and a TV. What is different? Local dimming, TruMotion, LED backlights. Anything else?

James,

Thanks for your comments.  Unfortunately, the DSE on this set is terrible.  As i said, i gained in some areas and definitely lost in others.  I think i could live with the occasional flashing if i knew it wasn't a precursor to something going out on the set that i would have to have repaired.

I was wondering if you have any "Energy Savings" enabled on the TV?  I have (USER) setting of Minimum.  I am wondering if this could have anything to do with it.  I "think" I usually notice the flashing in scenes with a mixture of dark/shadow areas and high contrast.  It could be the Local Dimming or Energy Savings trying to compensate?

I personally like the TV, it's feature set and the overall picture (although I know there are better), for this price, so I would like to keep it.

Stay tuned....

post #1019 of 1263 Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 AM

Anyone notice anything different with the new firmware (v.05.04.14) ??

My TV started prompting me to install this updates yesterday....but I haven't yet.

post #1020 of 1263 Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbe425 View Post

Downloading a firmware update but as usual, no clue what's new or what's changing.
Picture looks so soft now....after the update.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page