Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer55 View Post

Does anyone have settings for the 55" after updating the firmware?

I saw James' settings, but I believe they are for the 60" and it seems there are some differences between the settings depending on the screen size.

Thanks.

Here are expert calibration settings that appear to have been done using the 47LA7400.

I'm not sure how similar or different the 60" panel is from the 47" and 55". Amazon and Crutchfield both claim that the 60" panel is direct lit, but LG filed documents with the EPA claiming that the 60" panel is edge lit. The 60" model looks too thin to be direct lit. The 47" and 55" panels are unambiguously edge lit.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Some people posting calibration settings are clearly not using the blue filter when calibrating color and tint. If you're not using the blue filter, then yer doin' it wrong! eek.gif
Sting5920 likes this.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1083 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello everyone,

I started watching Game of Thrones on Blu-Ray (Disc 1 containing Episodes 1 and 2 tonight). I am noticing a REALLY BAD Judder effect on all panning scenes, and when people move around quickly. It is especially noticeable on far off shots where the camera is panning across a large distance.

Has anyone else seen this? It is TERRIBLE, almost makes you have motion sickness watching it!

PLEASE HELP!
post #1084 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality View Post

Hello everyone,

I started watching Game of Thrones on Blu-Ray (Disc 1 containing Episodes 1 and 2 tonight). I am noticing a REALLY BAD Judder effect on all panning scenes, and when people move around quickly. It is especially noticeable on far off shots where the camera is panning across a large distance.

Has anyone else seen this? It is TERRIBLE, almost makes you have motion sickness watching it!

PLEASE HELP!
Its almost like a really bad laggy game. Like the picture is VERY jumpy. Like every frame has a delay or something.

I am playing the Bluray from my PS4 through my receiver to the 60LA7400.
post #1085 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

This happened to me too just yesterday while (re-)calibrating my TV. Turning the TV off and on didn't fix the problem. After I shut off the TV and all connected devices (including my Blu-ray player), then turned them all on again, the problem fixed itself. This problem never occurred before yesterday.

Yesterday I also experienced a problem with the settings options freezing while I was adjusting them. It happened numerous times. It has never happened before.

I'm guessing LG recently pushed out a bad update.

I'm also experiencing the problem where the Black Level option is grayed out and stuck on auto. I tried your suggestion of turning everything off but that didn't do it for me. I'm coming from plasma so that is one of the most important settings for me!

On another note thank you very much for posting your settings. I used to use the "expert" settings posted on lcdtvbuyingguide and was excited changing all those white balance settings but when it was all said and done it looked horrible on dark scenes.
post #1086 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiezee View Post

Under Expert 1 some of those tabs or sections are not there for instance  De-Judder, De-Blur, dynamic color. What settings would you recommend under expert 1 settings?

The Expert 1 settings for De-Judder and De-Blur are under Picture Option, TruMotion. Changing TruMotion setting brings up the other options, such as Smooth and User (where you can manually change both settings).

The only difference I've noticed between Expert 1 and Standard is that the Expert 1 has Expert Control with White Balance and Color Management. Others can chime in if I've missed something.

The nice thing about this interface is that you can experiment on a mode that you won't use. Say you want to use Expert 1, you can experiment with Standard to get settings where you want, then manually plug them into Expert 1 when you're happy with the setup. The settings for each mode will stay as you've entered them, so no worries about losing your settings. You can always choose Reset Picture from any mode to go back to defaults for that mode too. smile.gif
post #1087 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I am noticing a REALLY BAD Judder effect on all panning scenes, and when people move around quickly.

Have you got TruMotion enabled with De-Judder and De-Blur set to smooth (3-3)? It's under Video Options, Picture Option, TruMotion. That solved all judder problems for me with PS3, sports, and movies.

Edit: You may have to play around a bit with De-Judder and De-Blur settings as it appears all sets don't react the same.
post #1088 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 09:38 PM

I've seen several people state that the 60" is direct or back lit, but never found any LG documentation to support the claim. Always wondered about that though. Maybe they saw the "Backlight" and "LED Local Dimming" settings and assumed it was direct/back lit? The 55" has those settings as well, and the terms are a bit confusing. smile.gif
post #1089 of 1269 Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark41 View Post

I've seen several people state that the 60" is direct or back lit, but never found any LG documentation to support the claim. Always wondered about that though. Maybe they saw the "Backlight" and "LED Local Dimming" settings and assumed it was direct/back lit? The 55" has those settings as well, and the terms are a bit confusing. smile.gif
As far as I understand, it's edge lit, with back-lit local dimming,
dark41 likes this.
post #1090 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:

Its almost like a really bad laggy game. Like the picture is VERY jumpy. Like every frame has a delay or something.

I am playing the Bluray from my PS4 through my receiver to the 60LA7400.

And your TruMotion setting is . . . ?

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #1091 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfry71 View Post

Yes the user mode is checked even tried resetting the settings but no luck. Comes with virtually no user instructions. Just want to be able to set the black level to low

Did you figure it out? I have the same problem.
post #1092 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 AM

No I have not. When im watching regular tv the black level is stuck on auto motion eye care is stuck on off (both greyed out) but when im using the blue ray player the black level function works but the (motion eye care and real cinema) function is greyed out and stuck on off. I guess im going to call LG and talk to an tech person to see if this issue can be fixed
post #1093 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Sounds like a Tv issue on the greyed out part. I have the 60 and I haven't had those issues. As far as the blurring I keep my tru motion off or set it to 1 and 10. I have found this keeps the judder or blur to a minimum.
post #1094 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM

My problem is the vertical banding on lighter scenes. If it's white like the Olympics or light green like golf when the camera pans the vertical banding is bad. Trying to decide whether to get it fixed while it's under warranty if this isn't normal.
post #1095 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonith View Post

Did you figure it out? I have the same problem.
post #1096 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 AM

No I have not when im watching regular tv the black level is stuck on auto and motion eye care is stuck on off but when im using the blue ray player the
black level option is working but the real cinema and motion eye care is both greyed out and stuck on off
post #1097 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks JP
James Parsons likes this.
post #1098 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:

No I have not. When im watching regular tv the black level is stuck on auto motion eye care is stuck on off (both greyed out) but when im using the blue ray player the black level function works but the (motion eye care and real cinema) function is greyed out and stuck on off. I guess im going to call LG and talk to an tech person to see if this issue can be fixed

Don't assume that just because something is greyed out that there's something wrong with the TV. Based on my inspection just now, it seems that what gets greyed out is based on a combination of your input source and your picture mode. It seems intentional. For example, the whole point of Game mode is to disable stuff that uses extra processing, so TruMotion and Real Cinema get disabled.

Here is a list of what my TV shows as greyed out and what the greyed out option is set to. These are organized by Input Source, Picture Mode, and Setting:

HDMI (Blu-ray & Roku powered on)

Standard / Vivid / Eco
Real Cinema: Off

Game
TruMotion: Off

Cinema / ISF Expert 1 / ISF Expert 2
Motion Eye Care: Off

AV (DVD powered on)

Standard / Vivid / Eco
Nothing greyed out

Game

TV (No signal)

Standard / Vivid / Eco
Black Level: Auto
Real Cinema: On

Game

Notice a few patterns here:
  1. Standard, Vivid, and Eco always have the same greyed out settings for a given input source.
  2. Cinema, ISF Expert 1, and ISF Expert 2 always have the same greyed out settings for a given input source.
  3. Cinema, ISF Expert 1, and ISF Expert 2 always disable Motion Eye Care.
  4. Game mode always disables Real Cinema and TruMotion.
  5. TV input source always sets Black Level to Auto.

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #1099 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

Don't assume that just because something is greyed out that there's something wrong with the TV. Based on my inspection just now, it seems that what gets greyed out is based on a combination of your input source and your picture mode. It seems intentional. For example, the whole point of Game mode is to disable stuff that uses extra processing, so TruMotion and Real Cinema get disabled.

Here is a list of what my TV shows as greyed out and what the greyed out option is set to. These are organized by Input Source, Picture Mode, and Setting:

HDMI (Blu-ray & Roku powered on)

Standard / Vivid / Eco

Game

AV (DVD powered on)

Standard / Vivid / Eco
Nothing greyed out

Game

TV (No signal)

Standard / Vivid / Eco

Game

Notice a few patterns here:
  1. Standard, Vivid, and Eco always have the same greyed out settings for a given input source.
  2. Cinema, ISF Expert 1, and ISF Expert 2 always have the same greyed out settings for a given input source.
  3. Cinema, ISF Expert 1, and ISF Expert 2 always disable Motion Eye Care.
  4. Game mode always disables Real Cinema and TruMotion.
  5. TV input source always sets Black Level to Auto.
post #1100 of 1269 Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:

post #1101 of 1269 Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Has anyone tried the THX tune-up calibration tool on your set?  It's free in the Apple App Store and Google Play for now.  I didn't know about until yesterday and it did make a difference on my set for the better.  I had the color down too low.

You use the camera on your device and it applies the necessary filters for color and tint.  Maybe not the same as WOW, but not bad.  Also does 5.1 sound, but i haven't tried this yet.

S. Egli

post #1102 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 AM

I have a Bluray player, PS3 and PS4 connected to the tv all via HDMI. The tv and magic remote recognize all of them as I am able to switch them on/off with it and even move through their menus using the magic remote. The thing bothering me is that when I bring up the virtual remote on screen, on the upper part where I have the tabs for changing input, they are labelled PLAYER HDMI1, UNKNOWN HDMI2 and UNKNOWN HDMI3. Is this normal that the tv does not recognize the PS3 and PS4 and is labelling them as unknown? Help pls.
post #1103 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Liked: 13

Lets change this up for a moment!!!!  Any thought why our 7400 series didn't even show or place in the top 9 reviewed of this web site?

HDTV: LG 47LA7400
Blu-Ray Player: BP530 3D Surround
Keyboard: Logitech K400R
OTA only - Antenna: Ebay junk - [works great]
AV Receiver: Denon AVR 1713 5.1 3D
Center Speaker: Cambridge Audio S50
Front Left Right: Cambridge Audio S70
Surround: Acoustimass® 5 Series II system
Sub-woofer:  Yamaha

post #1104 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebeq View Post

I have a Bluray player, PS3 and PS4 connected to the tv all via HDMI. The tv and magic remote recognize all of them as I am able to switch them on/off with it and even move through their menus using the magic remote. The thing bothering me is that when I bring up the virtual remote on screen, on the upper part where I have the tabs for changing input, they are labelled PLAYER HDMI1, UNKNOWN HDMI2 and UNKNOWN HDMI3. Is this normal that the tv does not recognize the PS3 and PS4 and is labelling them as unknown? Help pls.

You can name each of the inputs yourself. Just look at the bottom of the screen when you bring up the INPUT MENU using the Magic Remote...there is an option you can select to assign any of several names to each of the devices connected to the TV.
post #1105 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Yes, it's normal.

I'm guessing you're using HDMI-CEC (a.k.a. SimpLink) to recognize these devices. In this case, the TV knows what controls these devices have, but it doesn't know what these devices are. If you want, you can launch the Input List app and press the "Change Device Name" button at the bottom of the screen. Then you can give these devices generic names like "Blu-ray" or "Game". It's not perfect, but it's better than "Unknown".

Alternatively, in the Input List app, you can press the "Set the Universal Control" button. Using this technique, you can specify the exact make of your DVD/Blu-ray player, set-top box, home theater in a box, or sound bar. Using this technique, the TV will have more complete knowledge of the device's controls than the HDMI-CEC technique above. This technique will only recognize one device of each type. Furthermore, it won't recognize devices that don't fit into one of these four categories. So, for example, I have both a DVD player and a Blu-ray player connected to my TV. I can only set the universal control for one of these two players. Also, I have a Roku, but it doesn't fit into one of these four device categories, so I can't set the universal control for my Roku. A similar problem probably exists for your PlayStations.

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #1106 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting5920 View Post

Lets change this up for a moment!!!!  Any thought why our 7400 series didn't even show or place in the top 9 reviewed of this web site?

I don't understand what you're referring to.

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #1107 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 10:34 AM

Liked: 13

I was surfing and came across this

http://www.avsforum.com/a/avs-forums-top-9-lcd-tvs

but now see its regarding LCD not LED

me bad again!

HDTV: LG 47LA7400
Blu-Ray Player: BP530 3D Surround
Keyboard: Logitech K400R
OTA only - Antenna: Ebay junk - [works great]
AV Receiver: Denon AVR 1713 5.1 3D
Center Speaker: Cambridge Audio S50
Front Left Right: Cambridge Audio S70
Surround: Acoustimass® 5 Series II system
Sub-woofer:  Yamaha

post #1108 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:

me bad again!

I don't know if that was sarcasm or if you really don't know......confused.gif
James Parsons and Sting5920 like this.
post #1109 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

me bad again!

An LED TV is a specific type of LCD TV. As the article says in the introductory paragraph, "Virtually all LCD TVs these days use LED illumination."

The article notes the common limitations of LCD (including LED) TVs that have been a complaint of mine:
Quote:
All LCD TVs suffer from some inherent problems that are addressed in various ways—and that plasmas don't have in the first place. For example, LCDs have a hard time achieving really deep blacks, which can be helped by dynamically dimming the LEDs, either all at once or with local dimming. Also, LCDs exhibit motion blur—objects in motion appear more blurry than they do on plasma.

Why isn't the LG LA7400 on the list? I don't know. Look at how the list was generated:
Quote:
The LCD TVs in this buying guide were selected as the best 1080p models available in 2013 by consulting various review outlets such as CNET, Consumer Reports, Sound and Vision, and rtings.com as well as AVS reviews and owner threads and a special call out to members for their top picks.

In the "special call out to members," none of us spoke up in favor of the LA7400. (I didn't even own the TV at that point.)

CNET was obviously a major source for the list. CNET didn't review the LA7400 series at all, so using CNET as a source the LA7400 didn't even show up at the starting line.

The list claims to use Consumer Reports as a source, but the Sharp LE650 was ranked quite low by CR even though it's on the list. The Sharp 70LE650U was ranked #30 by CR in the 60"+ category. It was, in fact, the lowest-ranked of the recommended models. The Sharp 50LE650U was ranked #25 by CR in the 46-52" range, and wasn't even recommended. By comparison, the LG 55LA7400 was ranked #5 by CR in the 55-59" range, tied with a 4K Sony TV.

Sound and Vision gave the LA7400 a 4-star rating for value, but dinged it's 2D picture quality rating due to its relatively bright black levels and lack of picture uniformity.

HD Nation really liked the LA7400, but the list didn't use HD Nation as a source.

The list also didn't use Amazon.com owner reviews as a source. The LA7400 has outstanding ratings on Amazon. In fact, the LA7400's average rating is higher than that of every TV on the list except for the Sony KDL-55W900A which only comes in a 55" size.
Sting5920 likes this.

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #1110 of 1269 Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I did not manually assign names to my input devices and have Simplink enabled. My input devices are listed as:

My normal TV Antenna input as "Antenna", and my PC as "HDMI1". These input devices do not show the Simplink logo/name.

However my LG Blu-ray player as "HDMI3 BD_Player" and my PS3 as "HDMI2 PlayStation 3". Both of these show the Simplink logo/name.

The PS3 and Blu-Ray player have always displayed this way, so it's not specific to any software version.

So according to other posts, it does not appear that there is a "normal" display pattern for these devices.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page