post #1231 of 1254 Old 05-17-2014, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi All.

My thoughts on this tv (55LA7400)

Pros:

Beautiful design and pleasing to look at on or off.

Very good HD picture with balanced image quality

SD upconversion is good maybe very good .. exceeded my expectations

magic remote not bad ...

color and skin color reproduction good

3d awesome..kids loved it and so did i...no cross talk...pure pleasure

good viewing angles

Smart features very good but sluggish at times

streaming from my computer..steaming HD movies with no buffering

Cons:

Very reflective screen...bad for room with windows

Horrible screen uniformity

blooming at edges (disappointed with a US $1500 set)

average black levels

voice search limited to web search (why cant we switch channels with voice command...switch input...come on LG)

No direct switch on remote to select input ( really bugs to go to smart menu for every thing)

Bottom line:

When viewing normal tv...it is excellent (SD,HD content, 3D )

...in dark scenes...the ugly screen uniformity, blooming and average dark levels are real disappointments.

if you are a pixel peeper like me...stay away unless you are on a budget.

if you are an average (normal) user...its a very nice set full of features and overall very good picture quality with a lot of added features like NFC...WiDi etc etc. hard to beat at this price point.

Hope it helps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1254 Old 05-21-2014, 04:39 PM

Liked: 12
I updated the software & now youtube takes forever to load & all it does is studded when I try to watch a video. The same video works smoothly on every other device I have. LG screwed something uo I hope they fix it.

Is there a way to go back to a previous version of the software?
post #1233 of 1254 Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 AM

Hi

try ( problem after update) menu option. i had seen it somewhere. it might help. Or ask LG online support chat. it does work.

but frankly i have no idea as i have not updated my firmware. i am still at previous version.

hope that helps

post #1234 of 1254 Old 05-22-2014, 02:05 PM

LG tech support was completely useless, worst I've ever experienced.
post #1235 of 1254 Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 AM

Hi guys, I really need your help. I own the 42inch version of this tv and I am interested in purchasing the new LG soundbar LN4540. However due to lack of space, I can only place it on the tv stand. I need to know if somebody else use this setup because I need to know if it fits on the tv stand and if the soundbar is stable enough since it will not be on a flat surface. Where I live, it is impossible to find a shop with a 42LA740 tv on display so I cannot check by myself. My setup would be like this picture, although I want the soundbar to be placed more deeply in the tv. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post #1236 of 1254 Old 05-24-2014, 08:47 PM

Regarding the screen clouding issue . . .

So, I've got a 42" in the office, [2] 55"s in the formal living and master bedroom, but the 60" in the downstairs entertainment room is the only one with lower left - upper right clouding problem. Am I just lucky that the 60" is the only problem child? Amazon is willing to refund/replace and I am trying to decide whether to replace with another LG 60", or get another 55" which I think would be big enough, or just switch to a Sammy?
post #1237 of 1254 Old 05-31-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Picked up a 60LA7400 last week at Microcenter for $1100. Did some research and found professional cal data here.......

All I can say is WOW, Best looking display I've seen. Refinishing my basement and have been looking for a deal on a new HDTV for a couple of weeks until I got an email on the 15th with this deal. Jumped on it right away with the thought that I could return it if it was not that great. Needless to say this ain't going back!!

post #1238 of 1254 Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 PM

I sadly seem to be growing a bit more dissatisfied by the day. We got 4 of these for our new house: a 42", two 55"s, and a 60". The 60" has had the milky-cloudy black problem primarily lower left and upper right since right after I got it. It was initially only noticeable when doing a screen switch when the screen is blank but now is becoming problematic while watching any darker scenes, especially watching a bluray dvd. Now one of the two 55"s has it too. I have noticed clarity inconsistency on both 55"s and the 60" and since motion blur problems is much more noticeable on the bigger screens they seem to actually require some help from software but I cannot seem to find a Trumotion setting that I can stand either. I just have Trumotion OFF on my 42" but motion blur problems aren't noticeable on it. I also have noticed a problem that is probably related to the 3D capability even though it occurs in 2D programming. Occasionally, I have noticed out of focus problems where, for example a scene with 2 people, neither the character in the foreground nor the one in the background are in spot on focus. My 42" display in the office is the only one I am currently happy with. But, it is also the least watched too so perhaps that is why [??].

I think Amazon is willing to do a refund but what alternative would be recommended?

Beyond my growing complaint list, the picture quality in general and the feature set is still hard to beat for the money . . .

Any suggestions appreciated.
post #1239 of 1254 Old 06-06-2014, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by canonmutant View Post

I have noticed clarity inconsistency on both 55"s and the 60" and since motion blur problems is much more noticeable on the bigger screens they seem to actually require some help from software but I cannot seem to find a Trumotion setting that I can stand either. I just have Trumotion OFF on my 42" but motion blur problems aren't noticeable on it.

After trying numerous TruMotion settings, I strongly recommend a user-defined setting of De-Judder: 3, De-Blur: 10.

I would suggest that it's probably not wise to get the same make and model for all your TVs. Sure, you get a consistent user experience which is a big plus, but you also may get consistent problems. If, for example, LG pushes out a bad update that bricks the TV, then all your TVs get bricked. If LG has manufacturing quality-control problems, then all your TVs have quality-control problems. IMHO, the best protection against universal problems is to think like a mutual fund and diversify.
post #1240 of 1254 Old 06-06-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

After trying numerous TruMotion settings, I strongly recommend a user-defined setting of De-Judder: 3, De-Blur: 10.

I would suggest that it's probably not wise to get the same make and model for all your TVs. Sure, you get a consistent user experience which is a big plus, but you also may get consistent problems. If, for example, LG pushes out a bad update that bricks the TV, then all your TVs get bricked. If LG has manufacturing quality-control problems, then all your TVs have quality-control problems. IMHO, the best protection against universal problems is to think like a mutual fund and diversify.

Yeah, sadly I got the 42" first at our old home late last year and was so happy with it I got the same model 55s and 60 in March once we moved to our new home.

What I really don't get is how the picture can look so amazing generally but have certain spots/areas that almost look 480 like the processor can't keep up with the entire screen at 1080P. That and the out of focus problems. Just no part of certain scenes are in spot on focus - again seems like a 3D processing problem even though it's not a 3D program or DVD when it happens. Both these problems are naturally much more noticeable on the bigger screens. The 42" is just generally a keeper.

BTW, I've experimented a lot too and currently have Trumotion set to USER Dejudder 2 and Deblur 10 which is about as good as it gets, IMHO, helping some but it's still struggling mightily to keep up with fast moving scenes.

LG Tech Support sent me a "boiler plate" response blaming "my cables, my A/V equipment, and my broadcast" quality. Really helpful!

The other thing I would recommend to anyone else is do NOT buy them from Amazon when they are coming from different suppliers thinking if you have a problem you can get help from Amazon. They just referred me to the 3 different suppliers the units actually came from . . . much nicer to deal with ONE company if there is a problem especially if LG is going to ignore you when you try to talk to them?
post #1241 of 1254 Old 06-08-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:

What I really don't get is how the picture can look so amazing generally but have certain spots/areas that almost look 480 like the processor can't keep up with the entire screen at 1080P. That and the out of focus problems. Just no part of certain scenes are in spot on focus - again seems like a 3D processing problem even though it's not a 3D program or DVD when it happens. Both these problems are naturally much more noticeable on the bigger screens.

I don't have any such problem on my 60LA7400. It does kinda sound like you've got 3D enabled. You do realize you can enable 2D to 3D conversion for any programming by pressing the 3D button on the remote, right?
Quote:

BTW, I've experimented a lot too and currently have Trumotion set to USER Dejudder 2 and Deblur 10 which is about as good as it gets, IMHO, helping some but it's still struggling mightily to keep up with fast moving scenes.

I used to use De-Judder: 2, De-Blur: 7. Any De-Judder setting above 2 usually causes occasional artifacting problems and the soap opera effect, so De-Judder: 3, De-Blur: 7 didn't look good. I found that by kicking the De-Blur setting up to the maximum, it suppresses the artifacting problem and the SOE is so mild it doesn't bother me. That's why I use De-Judder: 3, De-Blur: 10. For me, that's the sweet spot. Motion bothered me for a long time until I tried that setting.
post #1242 of 1254 Old 06-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

I don't have any such problem on my 60LA7400. It does kinda sound like you've got 3D enabled. You do realize you can enable 2D to 3D conversion for any programming by pressing the 3D button on the remote, right?

Yes I do . . . I wish it was that simple. rolleyes.gif

[Maybe I already mentioned this but] Focusing is only a problem when there is a scene like with 2 people, one foreground and one background, and neither are in "spot on" focus. Focusing problems are not apparent in scenes where there is a lot going on. I think I first noticed it watching the bluray version of Contact where there are lots of cases where like Jodie's child character "Jena" is just in a scene "with dad, David Morse" or Jodie "with McConaughey" or "with Hurt" and it's apparent neither character is in focus. That said, this model seems to add more depth to a 2D picture even when 3D conversion is NOT enabled so again I think this could be a processing hiccup.
post #1243 of 1254 Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:

[Maybe I already mentioned this but] Focusing is only a problem when there is a scene like with 2 people, one foreground and one background, and neither are in "spot on" focus. Focusing problems are not apparent in scenes where there is a lot going on. I think I first noticed it watching the bluray version of Contact where there are lots of cases where like Jodie's child character "Jena" is just in a scene "with dad, David Morse" or Jodie "with McConaughey" or "with Hurt" and it's apparent neither character is in focus. That said, this model seems to add more depth to a 2D picture even when 3D conversion is NOT enabled so again I think this could be a processing hiccup.

I don't see how the TV could make stuff out of focus. You're sure it's not out of focus in the original source material, right? (Usually in a scene with one person in the foreground and one in the background, one should be in focus and the other should be out of focus—unless the cameraman is transitioning from one person to another, in which case they should both be out of focus. Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of Contact to verify what any of the scenes should look like.)

Can you take a photo of a scene (perhaps zoom in to highlight the out-of-focus problem) and post the photo to this thread?
post #1244 of 1254 Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
anyone having issues connecting to the network, tried resetting router, hard wire, reset TV power. all other networked devices working fine. was working since December without issue.
post #1245 of 1254 Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 PM

so i've been watching the World Cup soccer games and the TV is really bad at showing the vertical lines (?). It is highly noticeable when looking at the grass. Has there been a fix or something to reduce this? It is also noticeable when watching a movie or scene with white, for example on a snowy mountain. Other than that, the set has been great using JP's settings.
post #1246 of 1254 Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy13 View Post
so i've been watching the World Cup soccer games and the TV is really bad at showing the vertical lines (?). It is highly noticeable when looking at the grass. Has there been a fix or something to reduce this? It is also noticeable when watching a movie or scene with white, for example on a snowy mountain. Other than that, the set has been great using JP's settings.
those lines are from the backlight, on bright scenes you can see the backlight pretty clearly. it was bugging me a bit, so i turned the backlight down, better but not gone..

btw my network issues still continue, i was able to connect once after overnight power off to the tv but next power up the wifi/hardline was lost again. i think its a firmware bug, others with LG having issues.
post #1247 of 1254 Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 PM

I luckily picked one of these up overseas (usually we get stuck with Asian models with little support on AVS). I'm impressed so far. The remote is evil, but I'll get used to it.

I can't stand True Motion, but for sports from Satellite, is it recommended to be on? I'll have to try later when I get home.

Will dig through this thread for suggested settings.

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. IK
post #1248 of 1254 Old 06-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBro540i View Post
Picked up a 60LA7400 last week at Microcenter for $1100. Did some research and found professional cal data here.......
All I can say is WOW, Best looking display I've seen. Refinishing my basement and have been looking for a deal on a new HDTV for a couple of weeks until I got an email on the 15th with this deal. Jumped on it right away with the thought that I could return it if it was not that great. Needless to say this ain't going back!!
thanks BBro, went to the link u posted and changed all my settings to what they suggested. TV looks MUCH better now. The vertical lines on the soccer field is greatly reduced. Much happier with the TV. thanks!

I would suggest other owners to give these settings a try!
post #1249 of 1254 Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

in case anyone was wondering about the network connectivity issues and sluggishness of the tv, i found the cause to be the chromecast installed on the HDMI port, after i removed it the tv was back to normal again. i think something to do CPU getting too loaded slowing everything down.
post #1250 of 1254 Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasim Pathan View Post
in case anyone was wondering about the network connectivity issues and sluggishness of the tv, i found the cause to be the chromecast installed on the HDMI port, after i removed it the tv was back to normal again. i think something to do CPU getting too loaded slowing everything down.
Glad you got it sorted out.
post #1251 of 1254 Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the same lines on mine in bright light scenes and everyone I've talked to said it was banding. I'm calling LG tomorrow as I'm still under warranty. Should not be there no matter how bright you put it.
post #1252 of 1254 Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

i think the banding is only visible when screen is panning left and right, it was very bad during world cup, don't see it much in regular tv watching. may have something to do with the motion control (smootihng, etc), btw my tv lag issue is back, looks like there is something wrong, it takes 4-5 seconds before any remote control operation registers with the tv. ie volume, mute, etc.
post #1253 of 1254 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You are correct in that it is only visible during panning but I have my motion off and it's still there.
post #1254 of 1254 Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
You are correct in that it is only visible during panning but I have my motion off and it's still there.
If banding/white lines are related to panning with motion, then having Motion Eye Care turned off would only make the problem more noticeable. That's exactly what Motion Eye Care is there to prevent. I think the sweet spot for de-judder varies slightly from one set to another, but I see absolutely no lines on my set in any situation. I dialled mine in with Gran Turismo 5 with the X1 Prototype running in B-Spec. You'd be hard pressed to find a more challenging motion benchmark. These are my settings under Picture Option:
Noise Reduction - Medium
MPEG Noise Reduction - Low
Black Level - Low
Real Cinema - Off
Motion Eye Care - High
LED Local Dimming - Off
TruMotion User (3-3)

If you can't dial yours in, I'd look for a warranty replacement. Shouldn't be difficult to eliminate this problem - if it's indeed related to motion/panning and not a hardware problem.

Quote:
btw my tv lag issue is back
As for the connection issues, have you tried the latest software updates, or rolling yours back if the problems started after an update?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page