Official 2013 LG xxLA7400 Owner's Thread. - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1288 Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
software update

tried to update my tv with usb flash drive w/ the upgrade guide was unsuccessful. wonder what went wrong. what file to use? thanks
Software_File(Version_05.06.05).7z.003

Software_File(Version_05.06.05).7z.004

Software_File(Version_05.06.05).7z.005

Software_File(Version_05.06.05).7z.006

Software_Upgrade_Guide(English).pdf

Software_File(Version_05.06.05).7z.001

Software_File(Version_05.06.05).7z.002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1288 Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus123 View Post
wonder what went wrong.
Best way is to do it from the TV settings to ensure you get the correct update.

If you must update from USB;

You're in the USA?

You unzipped it before copying it to USB?

I'd try the highest number (6) first and work my way backwards.

When I tried to download the manual as .pdf it said site was down for maintenance from 12:00 to 17:00 Korean time.
post #1263 of 1288 Old 09-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark41 View Post

You're in the USA?

When I tried to download the manual as .pdf it said site was down for maintenance from 12:00 to 17:00 Korean time.
I think those files have already been unzipped, can not unzip them further. The guide instructed to put these files in a folder named "LG_DTV" on a USB flash on step 3 and plug a USB flash into the tv, and nothing happened as if the tv doesn't see these files. Thanks for the help.
post #1264 of 1288 Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasim Pathan View Post
i think the banding is only visible when screen is panning left and right, it was very bad during world cup, don't see it much in regular tv watching. may have something to do with the motion control (smootihng, etc), btw my tv lag issue is back, looks like there is something wrong, it takes 4-5 seconds before any remote control operation registers with the tv. ie volume, mute, etc.
Perhaps your remote batteries have gone week. This is one of the reasons for delayed remote response as these are RF remotes.
post #1265 of 1288 Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Hi

Can some one please comment on new firmware that had been available since 2-3 months. Has anybody updated.?? Any improvements? Comments please??
post #1266 of 1288 Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
not the batteries the lag was occurring with both the magic remote and the harmony touch. new batteries/full charge on both. i think i am going to skip LG on the next go around after reading about what they did on the webOS tv.
post #1267 of 1288 Old 09-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
My HTPC is my gamer with E8500 overclocked to 4.0GHz - so a bit faster than your C2D - still not nearly as fast as an i3 or i5. I don't use Steam though, so no idea what it requires.

I had some problems getting DIVX videos to play with the LG player, so been using KMPlayer on my PC for playing movies ever since. I use the USB for Time Machine (recording, pause, rewind etc).

Hope you're happy with the soundbar.
I'm looking at the LG BH7540TW 5.1 set with blu ray player @$470 vs LG NB 4540 4.1 sound bar @$408.
Don't see any review on the BH 7540TW but AV Forums has a review on the 4540, which got a 8/10 score.
Any thoughts ?

p/s: DiVX videos need an additional registration process right ? There's a DiVX setting in the menu which prompts for registration.
post #1268 of 1288 Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoma View Post
I have no comment on those sound systems since I have no experience with them, other than AVS forums are one of the better resources for valid users' opinions. I wouldn't buy something solely based upon their recommendations, but they would definitely be a factor in my decision.

As for DivX, and from memory, I needed to download a registration file from DivX website, copy it to USB, and connect it to the TV to register the TV as a player. It was still hit and miss, some would work and then I'd get another error for an unregistered player. The original file would no longer work for registration, and I couldn't get newly downloaded registration files to work either. Again, that's if I remember correctly. I don't get that error using my PC media players.

I do remember that when downloading the latest (at the time, roughly a couple months ago) version of DivX Player to my computer it attempted to install Conduit, which at best is spyware and at worst is a virus - depending upon your opinion of malware. Have been boycotting DivX ever since. So user beware! You don't want that crap on your system.

I just installed the latest LG software update for Australia yesterday which was the 1st time it popped up as available, and through the TV's wireless connection v4.26.03. I see no difference in anything from v4.25.02. Everything was working fine before the update and still is. USA software may well be a different version altogether though.
post #1269 of 1288 Old 09-26-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
in case anyone was wondering about the network connectivity issues and sluggishness of the tv, i found the cause to be the chromecast installed on the HDMI port, after i removed it the tv was back to normal again. i think something to do CPU getting too loaded slowing everything down.
U DO NOT NEED Chromecast for This model!

my 55inch model support HULU, NETFLIX, YOUTUBE Chromcast function ! You do not need a chromecast to send the video to the TV. It can be sent directly to the TV. I am so happy for the new update recently, because the HULU works with the Chromecast function now. It is a super nice for Ipad now. I barely use my apple tv now. I can send hulu, netflix, youtube video to the tv directly from my ipad too!

And an Plex user made a PLEX Client for this tv too, it still buggy but it works now.
post #1270 of 1288 Old 10-09-2014, 06:48 AM

Liked: 13
My Hulu Plus shudders even as I have turned down the stream as far as the LG dialog box allows - Netflix and Amazon apps work fine - Hulu says my DSL is too slow for their content, and Hulu claims my success with Netflix is due to their stream file sizes are smaller than HULU???
Faster DSL is not economically feasible at my location
Pausing the stream does not appear to spool the content for viewing later - plus it locks the display
Is there a better way to use the HULU plus app with my 1.5 Mg max download speed?

Kind Regards
Rick

HDTV: LG 47LA7400
Blu-Ray Player: BP530 3D Surround
Keyboard: Logitech K400R
OTA only - Antenna: Ebay junk - [works great]
AV Receiver: Denon AVR 1713 5.1 3D
Center Speaker: Cambridge Audio S50
Front Left Right: Cambridge Audio S70
Surround: Acoustimass® 5 Series II system
Sub-woofer:  Yamaha

post #1271 of 1288 Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting5920 View Post
Hulu claims my success with Netflix is due to their stream file sizes are smaller than HULU???
Rick
I don't have HULU Plus. And I haven't had USA DSL for a long time. But if they stream their content in High Definition, it's very possible that they are correct about your connection speed being too slow.

If I remember correctly, DSL 1.5 (or 1500 as my ISP called it back in the day) downloads at a max speed of 170kB/s or so - depending upon how far you are from the exchange. You can test that with most downloads.

The recommended minimum for the sites who stream in HD which I'm familiar with is 400kB/s (EG: NFL Game Pass). Even with my ADSL2+ speed of 1mB/s (I'm about 4 miles from the exchange), HD content occasionally acts up and eventually clears up again.

Anything which streams jittery on your browser (EG: Internet Explorer or Firefox), which is setup better than most devices for streaming, will stream jittery on every other device. I wouldn't know any way to get around that, sorry. HULU should have minimum requirements posted for their paid subscriptions, but that's no help to you now.
post #1272 of 1288 Old 10-11-2014, 07:00 AM

Post Calibration

So which calibration setup does everyone use? My experience is that the settings from http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...-settings.html makes the colors come out uneven and even looked off to my fiancée.
post #1273 of 1288 Old 10-12-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
not the batteries the lag was occurring with both the magic remote and the harmony touch. new batteries/full charge on both. i think i am going to skip LG on the next go around after reading about what they did on the webOS tv.
Did you ever get this straightened out?
I'm battling the sams thing... actually thought it was my harmony until my daughter lost it and i tried the smart remote.
post #1274 of 1288 Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

no tv still lags, im replacing it with sony x9B. all problems started after a firmware upgrade back in april. any ideas how to do factory reset. i think issue is the processor has something taking cpu cycles and slowing everything else down. the wifi + wired networking don't work anymore. i am still under warranty but i don't want to bother. i stopped using the tv's audio and run external audio. PQ however is still fantastic, i had some clouding early on and some backlight bleed but that all went away after a month of usage. the sluggishness and lack of network is in-excusable though..
post #1275 of 1288 Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
any ideas how to do factory reset
Settings, Option, scroll down to Factory Reset.
post #1276 of 1288 Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

You're in the USA?

I am almost 100% positive you flash the lowest number first and so on and so on up to highest number one at a time unzipped on a usb stick.. Read the firmware installation pdf files really good first. It is a pain this way, but if the tv does not find the upgrade you have no choice except to wait for it. Which could be days or weeks.

Last edited by Sound & Vision; 10-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.
post #1277 of 1288 Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks. i think i tried that , i don't think its low level reset. i'll try again. the USB update never worked for me. i tried all the files, some of the files, different sticks, different file formats, fat32, exfat, etc. tv refused to see the update on the stick.
post #1278 of 1288 Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
I am almost 100% positive you flash the lowest number first and so on and so on up to highest number one at a time unzipped on a usb stick..
I should have worded that better. The highest number is the latest update. You only need to go backwards from that if the TV cannot see that update - in which case I'd go backwards until I found one that it did find. There's no need to go back further than any version which installs properly.

There should be no reason that you can't skip updates, so no need to start with the lowest number.

And as the OP stated, there does not appear to be a way to unzip these files, even though they are .7z, which is the file extension for files compressed with 7-Zip. This is another reason I'd steer clear of updating in this manner, as the way LG is using this format is deceiving.
post #1279 of 1288 Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
thanks. i think i tried that , i don't think its low level reset. i'll try again. the USB update never worked for me. i tried all the files, some of the files, different sticks, different file formats, fat32, exfat, etc. tv refused to see the update on the stick.
It may not be a complete factory reset including firmware, but it's the only way I know about and I've never needed to try it. Hope it sorts out your problems, otherwise I'd be on the phone to LG support. I couldn't deal with not having network wired and wireless, as that's the main way I use my set.

I'm unable to find an Australian version for online updates to see if my TV can see them, but as I said above - the file format makes me question just how they should work. Good luck!
post #1280 of 1288 Old 12-02-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

found the cause of at least the smart apps and network not running, tv hangs in a deadspot for wifi (intermittent) confirmed replacement x900b does the same thing. have to run ethernet. also most of sluggishness is gone, likely the cpu was tied up trying to connect to wifi. FYI for others having the same problem with the LG.
post #1281 of 1288 Old 12-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Regards,

Can anyone help me with the original factory firmware for my LG 55LA7400 as its wifi (it connects and suddenly disconnects and gives a msg to do something with AP Stuff on router) I never changed the settings on my router! wifi connectivity isn't working and the overall speed f the system is too slow. The problem started after 3 months of automatic firmware update through wired net connection! can anyone help?
post #1282 of 1288 Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey, guys. I have an opportunity to buy the 55LA7400 from a guy for $500 this evening. This guy is wanting to get a 4k tv and that's why he's letting it go at the price. Anyway, I'm a pretty big gamer so I'm just wondering if this set will serve me well? I'm coming from a 2010 Philips 47PFL3605H so I'm assuming it's going to be a large leap in overall quality from that. I just wanted to make sure that games aren't flat out unplayable or anything. Thanks!
post #1283 of 1288 Old 12-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheb View Post
I'm a pretty big gamer so I'm just wondering if this set will serve me well?
Great for me on PS3. I don't do online games but can't see where that would be any different. Some report judder on games. Just setup true motion to specs listed on this thread and you shouldn't have any problems at all. For that price you can't go wrong.
post #1284 of 1288 Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Great for me on PS3. I don't do online games but can't see where that would be any different. Some report judder on games. Just setup true motion to specs listed on this thread and you shouldn't have any problems at all. For that price you can't go wrong.
Thanks! I only occasionally play online. Reading through a bit of this thread had me worried I shouldn't pick up the set, but then I tell myself that if I'm coming here, I should expect to find out the nitpickiest of issues. Not to say that they aren't unfounded but they probably wouldn't affect someone like me who isn't quite as discerning.
post #1285 of 1288 Old 12-09-2014, 07:19 PM

You could have them turn it on and make sure the picture suits your needs - no flash lighting, check the remote control works properly, etc..

I think typically it's only the problems that you'll find posted online. Rare that someone bothers to post that everything is working as expected (as mine is). So going by that, I think there are very few problems with the LA7400 - just don't see a lot of problems listed online. But as you say, some people are more discerning than others.
post #1286 of 1288 Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
You could have them turn it on and make sure the picture suits your needs - no flash lighting, check the remote control works properly, etc..

I think typically it's only the problems that you'll find posted online. Rare that someone bothers to post that everything is working as expected (as mine is). So going by that, I think there are very few problems with the LA7400 - just don't see a lot of problems listed online. But as you say, some people are more discerning than others.
I went to check it out last night. He turned it on for me and the picture was TERRIBLE. I assumed we were on an SD channel so I asked him to turn it to an HD channel. He fiddled with the controller and found one. It looked just as bad. I happened to look behind the TV and saw how he had his Dish box connected: composite cables. After that I realized I was fine. Everything else seemed to work. I paid him the money and took it home. All I did was plug it up last night and watch a little of Louisville and Indiana. It looked really nice. If I can talk my wife in to letting me use it fully now instead of only at Christmas, I'll work on the calibration and settings. Are the LCD TV Buying Guide settings considered the best? If not, what would you recommend?

As an aside, the guy was getting one of the newer model Vizio 4k models as a Christmas present. I hope Santa puts an HDMI cable in his stocking.
post #1287 of 1288 Old 12-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Are the LCD TV Buying Guide settings considered the best? If not, what would you recommend?
This post was my project for the night.

My opinion is that settings vary drastically according to user preference. Some people swear by calibration settings and trust them over their eyes. Personally, I find all calibration settings a bit bland on the picture and the color is a bit off (EG; on my set with the LCD TV BG settings, bananas are green instead of yellow, red apples are burgundy, and the brightness is too bright giving me headaches). If I had to choose a favourite calibration tool, I'd pick the Disney WOW disc, but it's not free. You could start with the LCD TV BG settings and tweak until you're happy with it. Or you could plug my settings in and tweak. Either one should give you a decent starting point. It's easy to reset to default if you need to start over.

A few things from memory;
*Make sure its on Aspect Ratio: Just Scan - 16/9 tends to have over scan issues on USA sets.
*For gaming, if you get controller lag you'll want video Game Mode to eliminate it - the only draw back I've found is that TruMotion is greyed out and turned off in Game Mode. My PS3 is connected via wireless. My PC is connected via HDMI. Both get some controller lag on some games, but none of my games have had both judder and controller lag, making it easy to switch back and forth from Standard and Game Modes. Your mileage may vary.
*Each video Mode saves it's own settings. So say you calibrate on Standard, all other Modes stay at their default settings until you change them manually. Bit of a pain to setup if you use more than 1 Mode, but only needs to be done once for each. I've seen absolutely no difference in the picture from 1 Mode to the next with the same settings. Again, your mileage may vary.

My current settings for Game Mode (User) are below. Occasionally I switch to Standard Mode (User) with the same settings if I'm getting judder on PS3 with Gran Turismo 4 and the Red Bull Prototype in B-Spec. The only difference is that TruMotion is greyed out in Game Mode and not in Standard Mode. As you can see, my settings are drastically different for some settings to the LCD TV BG calibration settings. They're very close to the Disney WOW disc calibration:

Picture:
Energy Saving : Off
Picture Mode: Game Mode (User)
Backlight: 40
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 58
Sharpness: 25
Color: 75
Tint: R10
Color Temp: C20
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

Advanded Control:
Dnyamic Contrast: High
Dynamic Color: High
Super Resolution: Medium
Gamma: High

Picture Option:
Noise Reduction: Medium
MPEG Noise Reduction: Low
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off
Motion Eye Care: High
LED Local Dimming: Off
TruMotion: Off (for GT4 and the Red Bull Prototype which suffers from judder but not controller lag, I use Standard Mode with TruMotion ON, De-Judder 3 and De-blur 3)

No sense in posting my white balance settings because they are only available in Expert Mode, which I never use.

Quote:
the guy was getting one of the newer model Vizio 4k models as a Christmas present. I hope Santa puts an HDMI cable in his stocking
Amazing what some people will do, and then complain that the picture isn't right. I doubt he'll see any difference on a 4k TV with composite connection. But he'll probably THINK it looks soo much better.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Edit: I'll add this link that James Parsons (hope I spelled that properly) provided for the AVS calibration tool. Haven't used it myself, but think you burn it to CD and then use it to calibrate. It has a blue filter similar to the Disney WOW disc. The LCD TV BG calibration does not include this filter.
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Last edited by dark41; 12-10-2014 at 09:15 AM.
post #1288 of 1288 Old Today, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Arrow

Quote:
Are the LCD TV Buying Guide settings considered the best? If not, what would you recommend?
If you search this thread, you'll see plenty of calibration setting suggestions for the LG LA7400. Also, be aware that the AVS Forum has its own free downloadable calibration disc image. I recommend it strongly.

Quote:
I happened to look behind the TV and saw how he had his Dish box connected: composite cables. . . . As an aside, the guy was getting one of the newer model Vizio 4k models as a Christmas present. I hope Santa puts an HDMI cable in his stocking.
Not only will this guy not be getting 4K with his expensive 4K TV, he won't even get HD with his expensive 4K TV. He probably still buys his movies on DVD.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page