post #181 of 1269 Old 06-08-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjaymofo View Post

Picked up my 60' LA7400 today. Exactly the same issue. it has a black stand and black bezel which is not a cinema screen and looks completely different then the LA7400 being advertised on LG's website and on the website (the Brick.ca) that I ordered it from. Model # on the back of the tv states it is an LA7400.

I really like the TV but one of the reasons I bought it was for the cinema screen. i would return it but i Assume the replacement would be the same. Talk about false advertising!

Can anyone confirm they have actually received a 60' LA7400 with a silver stand and cinema screen bezel?

Seriously, if it were me I would move on, but I tend to over-react. I'm getting angry (by proxy) for you when reading this. Looks are ALWAYS an important consideration when buying a TV. This isn't some $300 item going into the garage. See if your local Best Buy has one on display with the cinema facing glass. If they do, tell them you'll buy it if you can check in the box first that it truly is. They might be as surprised as you to hear this is going on. I would have sworn that the units I saw look like the bezel-less ones.

A google image search yields both types. Grrrrrr.......

Also, it's interesting: This is what they did with the 60LM7200.....a departure from the smooth look and an inch or so bezel all around.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1269 Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All. Managed to check out a LA7400 at a local store. Here is the deal, the model with the silver stand has the bezel BEHIND the screen, the model with the black stand has the bezel outside of the screen. The bezels are both the same width. half an inch (thanks to klopez3709 for measuring his LA7400 with the silver stand!) and the screens both have exactly the same viewable screen dimensions. It could just be me, but it seemed like the silver version had more of a reflective, glass-like screen than the black version.

after seeing both versions, they both have their pros and cons, I personally like the black version better. I think the silver version would stand out a little more when watching in a dark room (the silver would reflect the light from the screen). But when the lights are on, the silver version looks really nice and stands out from other TV's. Even so, I (and the wife) are much happier with the black version.

It's good to know that LG did a "re-design" with the LM7200 as well, they have obviously done the same with the LA7400. For a minute there I thought they might be selling a lesser model and passing it off as an LA7400 (thanks to tgm1024 for pointing this out). I still think LG should be updating their website AT THE VERY LEAST, to reflect this change.

As suggested by tgm1024, I'm very happy with my purchase and moving on, now that it is clear that LG has simply re-designed the LA7400. Some people will prefer the silver model and some will prefer the black model, but all and all they are the same TV. Again, the picture and features are awesome.

Thanks to all that helped with figuring this mystery out!
klopez3709 likes this.
post #183 of 1269 Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Glad you solved the mystery, BigJay!

-Kathie
post #184 of 1269 Old 06-08-2013, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
does anybody have the bezel in front of the screen on the 55" version? i checked out many display models from local stores of the 55", the bezel is behind the plastic glass. the plastic glass/screen of the 60" version may be too big to be held in place if the bezel is behind it. i would be disappointed also if the dessert menu shows tiramisu, the actually item shows up as pan cakes instead. actually the siliver frame doesn't reflect much light since it looks more like gun metal silver too me. does bluetooth keyboard work on this tv?
post #185 of 1269 Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 14
I'm finally able to log into the LG website again so I registered my TV from the purchase back in March. haha

Weird thing though and this may have been touched on several times I have no idea... when I click into the My LG section and the new LA7400 it says 1 year Netflix Gift Subscription under the picture of my TV. Is this something I got from buying this TV and if so, how do I activate it? I am currently paying month to month Netflix and it would be nice to not have to pay that for a year smile.gif

Anyone know?
post #186 of 1269 Old 06-08-2013, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
yes, as of 6/8 the free sub from LG changed from free 1 yr of MLB.com gameday to free 1 yr netflix

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #187 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 10
I previously inquired about light bleed in top right corner of my new 55la7400, although it has been brought to my attention this is "normal" for this kind of panel... I have read a lot of posts from users saying this model eliminated this is issue. 7400 owners please give me feedback as tonwether yours has this, or if it is just reduced from symptoms that were far worse in previous models. Exchanging for the same issue would be a big hastle, due to transportation and distance. Thanks in advance. Please direct me to any pics of what normal light bleed on a 7400 looks like if available. Thanks again.
post #188 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55tv View Post

I previously inquired about light bleed in top right corner of my new 55la7400, although it has been brought to my attention this is "normal" for this kind of panel... I have read a lot of posts from users saying this model eliminated this is issue. 7400 owners please give me feedback as tonwether yours has this, or if it is just reduced from symptoms that were far worse in previous models. Exchanging for the same issue would be a big hastle, due to transportation and distance. Thanks in advance. Please direct me to any pics of what normal light bleed on a 7400 looks like if available. Thanks again.

I may have some - but not very noticeable to my eye. I had bad bleeding issues from both the LM6700 and the LM7600 so I am aware. No viewing distraction from me from this set.

-Kathie
post #189 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klopez3709 View Post

I may have some - but not very noticeable to my eye. I had bad bleeding issues from both the LM6700 and the LM7600 so I am aware. No viewing distraction from me from this set.

-Kathie
Any pix? Mine is a cloudy mess when first booting up, then it levels off to only top right corner, I assume with backlight dimming tech on etc. thanks.
post #190 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM

the light bleeds on my previous lm8600 was so severe. it created the illusions if the white curtains were stuck and partially hang opened on the top corners in a dimmed room. ended up returning it to the store. light bleeding of the la7400 has slightly improved over the lm8600. kinda hard to describe but the other way to put it as if an artist brushes the light over the screen evenly & natually which it helps diminishing the distractions. it's acceptable. i've moved on since.

btw, the la7400 contains a bluetooth module (bm lds401) according to a sticker on the back of the tv. does this mean, i can use the sony ps3 headset or bluetooth keyboard?
post #191 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:

the light bleeds on my previous lm8600 was so severe. it created the illusions if the white curtains were stuck and partially hang opened on the top corners in a dimmed room. ended up returning it to the store. light bleeding of the la7400 has slightly improved over the lm8600. kinda hard to describe but the other way to put it as if an artist brushes the light over the screen evenly & natually which it helps diminishing the distractions. it's acceptable. i've moved on since.

btw, the la7400 contains a bluetooth module (bm lds401) according to a sticker on the back of the tv. does this mean, i can use the sony ps3 headset or bluetooth keyboard?
post #192 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Any pix? Mine is a cloudy mess when first booting up, then it levels off to only top right corner, I assume with backlight dimming tech on etc. thanks.
I don't have any pics of my screen when any bleeding would show. After all the returns and exchanges to get my personal best TV, I don't worry about any minimal bleeding now. My husband is still in shock that I am finally happy with my purchase. He's not the gadget junkie that I am. smile.gif.
post #193 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

So glad you were able to exchange and are now happier. This is the fourth set i exchanged/traded up for and as i said, i couldn't be happier... And i even got a recent price match of $200 off. smile.gif

One thing i found very helpful when exchanging is taking pictures of all my settings for easier setup. Here is a small example:

Hi, can you share your picture setting plese?
post #194 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi All. Managed to check out a LA7400 at a local store. Here is the deal, the model with the silver stand has the bezel BEHIND the screen, the model with the black stand has the bezel outside of the screen. The bezels are both the same width. half an inch (thanks to klopez3709 for measuring his LA7400 with the silver stand!) and the screens both have exactly the same viewable screen dimensions. It could just be me, but it seemed like the silver version had more of a reflective, glass-like screen than the black version.

after seeing both versions, they both have their pros and cons, I personally like the black version better. I think the silver version would stand out a little more when watching in a dark room (the silver would reflect the light from the screen). But when the lights are on, the silver version looks really nice and stands out from other TV's. Even so, I (and the wife) are much happier with the black version.

It's good to know that LG did a "re-design" with the LM7200 as well, they have obviously done the same with the LA7400. For a minute there I thought they might be selling a lesser model and passing it off as an LA7400 (thanks to tgm1024 for pointing this out). I still think LG should be updating their website AT THE VERY LEAST, to reflect this change.

As suggested by tgm1024, I'm very happy with my purchase and moving on, now that it is clear that LG has simply re-designed the LA7400. Some people will prefer the silver model and some will prefer the black model, but all and all they are the same TV. Again, the picture and features are awesome.

Thanks to all that helped with figuring this mystery out!

Well, it sounds like you're happy, so I'm afraid to clarify.

But heck. I'll clarify just in case I was misunderstood. I'm not sure if I was or was not:

When I said "move on", I meant move on to a different display or vendor....I don't like this changing things for the hell of it crap that LG seems to think is A-OK. Sure, it functions the same, but a big part of it is looks.

When I said that the 60LM7200 had a departure, I didn't mean that they offered both styles (like it sounds like they're attempting here with the 2013 7400). I meant that they had a clearly defined cinema look on their high end displays all except for the 60LM7200. Perhaps the physics of its size....dunno.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #195 of 1269 Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Fyi, I was at my local Fry's today and they had the following LG model's on display, 6200, 6900, 7400, and 8600. Only the 55, 60 LA8600 have the borderless panel. The others have the 1/2" black border. I also read a review on LG from CES that stated the 6900, 7400, and 8600 would have the new borderless design for 2013

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #196 of 1269 Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

Heh sorry guys, honestly i've had very little time to even use the TV since i got it outside of Netflix with my father a few times (And of course no complaints there)

I havent been able to do any gaming or anything just yet...

I found out i did have local dimming on and turned that off and tried other settings but i am still getting the light bleed from all four corners. Because of the position of all the light circles in the corners though i cant help but wonder if that is somehow deliberate... its very subtle and the light shifts a bit if i move around the room. I've also seen where if i move the remote across the screen when its full black i have seen very lightvertical bar of light bleed or i dont know what you would call it.. but it reaches from top to bottom where the pointer icon is. Kinda weird.

Doesn't bother me at this point though.

Saw the same issue on the 2012 model 55LM640 and I think it was very annoying.
post #197 of 1269 Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

Heh sorry guys, honestly i've had very little time to even use the TV since i got it outside of Netflix with my father a few times (And of course no complaints there)

I havent been able to do any gaming or anything just yet...

I found out i did have local dimming on and turned that off and tried other settings but i am still getting the light bleed from all four corners. Because of the position of all the light circles in the corners though i cant help but wonder if that is somehow deliberate... its very subtle and the light shifts a bit if i move around the room. I've also seen where if i move the remote across the screen when its full black i have seen very lightvertical bar of light bleed or i dont know what you would call it.. but it reaches from top to bottom where the pointer icon is. Kinda weird.

Doesn't bother me at this point though.

Saw the same issue on the 2012 model 55LM640 and I think it was very annoying.

It's the effect of local dimming on edge lit TVs where the emitters (LEDs) are along one side (top or bottom) and the TV throttles down all but the ones lining up with the pointer. You get a vertical corridor of full light, which can only "mostly" be blocked by the LCD grid, as apposed to the left and right of the pointer which have the light dimmed before it gets to the LCDs.

post #198 of 1269 Old 06-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Ac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

Hi, can you share your picture setting plese?
Actually I have nothing written down- just pictures of my LM7600 settings that I used for reference while setting up the 7400.
post #199 of 1269 Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Ac
Actually I have nothing written down- just pictures of my LM7600 settings that I used for reference while setting up the 7400.
can you share those pictures?
post #200 of 1269 Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

can you share those pictures?
Please provide me email and I will send to you.
post #201 of 1269 Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM

Has anyone tried to play FPS games (e.g. latest COD, or latest BattleField ) on this set? I see that amazon's reviews does not recommend this screen for gaming..
post #202 of 1269 Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

But heck. I'll clarify just in case I was misunderstood. I'm not sure if I was or was not:

When I said "move on", I meant move on to a different display or vendor....I don't like this changing things for the hell of it crap that LG seems to think is A-OK. Sure, it functions the same, but a big part of it is looks.

When I said that the 60LM7200 had a departure, I didn't mean that they offered both styles (like it sounds like they're attempting here with the 2013 7400). I meant that they had a clearly defined cinema look on their high end displays all except for the 60LM7200. Perhaps the physics of its size....dunno.

Thanks for clarifying...The border is the same on both, half an inch. The only difference is that the border is under the screen on the silver model and on top of the screen on the black model. As my TV was manufactured in April 2013, I assume that all LA7400's manufactured after a certain date will be black with the bezel on top of the screen. I'm sure you might be able to find stores that stock the original design but if in fact they have stopped making them with the silver and bezel under the glass they will become hard to find shortly and the black model will be everywhere.

Although, the bezel under the screen looks slick, I would WAY prefer to have the black model over the silver. I also went back and checked the silver version and the screen definitely looks more reflective and glass-like (I may be crazy, but just my opinion). No matter what the TV looks like, I still would have bought this product as I am a fan of LED technology over plasma (just MY preference, let the debate begin) and I think LG makes the best LED TV's currently being sold in my price range and I did A LOT of research. I just got excited about what I thought it was going to look like and at first was disappointed that it didn't look like what I was expecting it to. Again, I thought it was some kind of packaging mix up and I was sold a lesser TV than the LA7400 but I am totally convinced this is the reality for LA7400 manufactured after a certain date. It is shocking to believe companies can get away with doing this.

I plan on calling LG and voicing my opinion about advertising one thing and then selling something else that looks very different, I don't expect them to do anything about it, as it appears other members have voiced their concerns and have been told what amounts to "too bad for you, we can do anything we want". Disgraceful customer service and not the way you should be treating someone that spent thousands of dollars on your product, but I find this is unfortunately the attitude of most big companies these days. That being said even if they offered to give me a silver model, I wouldn't want it, I'll stick with what I have because I actually prefer the re-designed black LA7400. But it doesn't sound like they would ever make this kind of offer. Instead, they will make the customer deal with the problem which resulted from their false advertising.

Again, I'm really very happy with this TV. Picture is awesome, audio is amazing, one of the best looking and sounding tvs I've ever owned. I have not noticed any light bleed at all, btw (and I have local dimming set to "Low".
post #203 of 1269 Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 AM

post #204 of 1269 Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 AM

I've had my la7400 for about two weeks now. I love the picture and the 3d. Everything I've tried works perfectly with the exception of playing video files either streaming or from a connected USB drive. Wonder if anyone else here is running into the same issue.

The TV will not play mkv, or mp4 files with the correct aspect ratio. It plays 1.85:1 movies as 4:3 and 2.35:1 with black borders around the full picture instead of just the top and bottom. The only option to change the picture size in SmartShare mode on the TV is full or normal, neither of which resolve the issue.

I've tried this through streaming and through a connected USB drive and the issue happened in both cases.

The files play perfectly on my LG BP530 Blu Ray player and my computer. If it's not an issue with the files or streaming, then it must be something wrong with the playback on the TV. I'm trying to get my movie collection onto a hdd, but if I can't play through the TV it's not very useful!

Is anyone else having this issue?
post #205 of 1269 Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

UPDATE...

As of today, LG has changed the picture of the LA7400 on their US website. It is now showing a picture of the re-designed black model with the bezel on the outside of the screen. I guess This confirms that the LG has changed the original design of this tv. Interesting. Better late then never.

Their Canadian site is still showing a picture of the original design with the bezel behind the class and the gun metal stand.

Btw...I have tried playing back .mkv and .mp4 files using DNLA with no aspect ratio issues. I will test playing back these files from USB as well.
post #206 of 1269 Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:

UPDATE...

As of today, LG has changed the picture of the LA7400 on their US website. It is now showing a picture of the re-designed black model with the bezel on the outside of the screen. I guess This confirms that the LG has changed the original design of this tv. Interesting. Better late then never

Their Canadian site is still showing a picture of the original design with the bezel behind the class and the gun metal stand.

Btw...I have tried playing back .mkv and .mp4 files using DNLA with no aspect ratio issues. I will test playing back these files from USB as well.

The 55 still has the silver stand on LG's site. I wonder why they made the change - if its just the 60 that was re-designed.
post #207 of 1269 Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I picked the 55" up tonight and am having trouble with the PS3 connected to the set. Every time I turn off the TV it turns off the system and it launches in recovery mode and I can't figure out why it is doing this.
post #208 of 1269 Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I picked the 55" up tonight and am having trouble with the PS3 connected to the set. Every time I turn off the TV it turns off the system and it launches in recovery mode and I can't figure out why it is doing this.

Nevermind figured it out! It was my new monster powerstrip has 4 outlets that are green powered, so whatever is attached to the master outlet controls connected devices. Turn off TV turn off system.
post #209 of 1269 Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM

Ive been playing around with this tv and like someone else missed out on the promotional period of MLB.tv. Oh well.. baseball sucks anyways.

One very annoying problem with this tv is that it doesnt save/remember your wireless password. So every time you turn it on you need to go through the process again.

For a smart tv it is very forgetful. Every other piece of hardware in the house including my other smart tv handle this flawlessly as anyone would expect. LG support is also useless and cant accept the fact that there is something wrong with their tv and not my network... once again oh well... I changed my wireless password to something very simple in the meantime.
post #210 of 1269 Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM

I havent been able to do any gaming or anything just yet .thank you lJNb
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page