Official 2013 LG xxLA7400 Owner's Thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1248 Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
The first recipient reporting in about the 2013 LG LA7400, AVS member "Splattered", ran out of time to start a new thread. He had this to say in the LM7600 thread, so I started this one with his information in it.

Thanks to Splattered for all of this!!!!! Huge help!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

Sorry guys i am just WAY too busy to start any kind of an actual thread right now.. i didnt even end up taking good pictures while unboxing it. I took a bunch of quick pictures and when i went back to look at it they were blurry! Turns out the baby smudged the lense on my phone camera (Samsung Galaxy S3) which sucks because they would have otherwise been very clear haha

Things ive noticed about the TV so far... packaged totally different in the box. It doesnt include the white plastic strip pieces on the sides of the TV now that you had to take off after you have it all set up.

The TV bezel/casing whatever seems slimmer than the 2012 model, no i did not break out a ruler and get all OCD on it. Don't have a lot of time sorry guys.

The stand is now just one long piece that you screw into the bottom back of the TV. If you want to adjust the angle of the TV you have to be able to move the whole TV, stand included, by using the tiny wheels on the bottom of the stand. Kind of weird. (Also, my stand doesnt align flush with the back of the TV on the ends where you screw it in. The center is flush against the TV but the ends raise up away from the TV a tiny bit. I don't know if thats an issue with my stand and i didnt put it together totally right or a manufacture defect or what but i unscrewed it and checked it and put it back on... same... left it for now)

They only give you four pairs of 3D glasses in one big fat box rather than 6 pairs in three separate smaller boxes.

The Remote is totally different this year over last years model. I've seen pics on the net that makes it look super similar to the 2012 models except for being silver. Well no, the production model i received is shorter and fatter and has a large round edge on the top... it now has additional buttons around the scroll wheel which are useful and means you have one or two less clicks to get into menus i guess. At one point the TV paused and said it was updating the remote software and i had to wait 30 seconds to resume use of the remote/TV. The remote definitely feels better in my hand than the previous remote did.

The Firmware for the TV is current out of the box, sorry i didnt take note of what version its actually at. It's like 3.06.20 or something like that.

They skimped on connections... 3 HDMI and there is no longer an adapter port for component/composite video connections. Now it's ONLY a single component and it all plugs directly into the TV. It has 3 USB 3.0 ports above the HDMI ports. I don't remember if thats the same as last year or not. I would have much rather had one less USB port and had an additional HDMI port instead. Oh well.

The power cable to the TV is not automatically plugged into the back now when you take it out of the box. It has a three prong connection that you push up into the tv. The end that plugs into the wall/surge protector is now a flat style end that saves space if you plug it into the wall. Don't know if i'm explaining it right but i'm sure you guys get the idea. The wall end is also three prong and the round prong seems longer than usual to me. Could be my imagination though.

The initial setup seems a tiny bit more thorough now... you can put your zip code in during setup now and it will suggest things pertaining to your region i guess? Some of the choices like the type of cable box are listed differently than they were on the 7600. For example, the 7600 listed mine as a cisco/scientific american but now the 7400 only lists it as a scientific american and luckily i remembered what my 7600 used. It just says Cisco on my actual DVR. I'm sure most people will be ok though.

The arrow icon is slightly different... its still red with the white border but its a bit more rounded on the sharp edges and almost has a 3D appearance compared to the flatter arrow from the 2012 model. In fact i just noticed that when you make selections on the screen the arrow tip tilts down as if the top point is touching what you're trying to select. Was the 7600 the same? I already don't remember haha

The menus are all very quick now and i did notice the new tile system but i didnt play with it yet. Sorry. I dont know how the speeds are for this dual core processor vs the LM8600 from last year, sorry i can't do any comparisons there.

I have not looked at or messed with the NFC Tag feature yet. I dont even remember what its for but there is a tiny booklet or something that comes with the instruction manual just for the NFC thingie. Havent opened it yet.

I kept hitting the 1,2,3 Menu button so i could change the picture type to "game" to remove all the extra processing on my Xbox 360 source but it just kept bringing up the cable DVR controls... at the top of the virtual DVR controller you can change input type and there is also the gears/settings icon but i couldn't click on it! Was pissing me off... i figured out that you have to press the "Smart" button on the remote itself and accept terms on a couple of pages, and THEN you have to get to the settings menu by clicking on the Smart button on the remote and you can then change the audio/video settings.

I downloaded and tried out the LG Remote app off of the google play store. The remote App works awesomely, you can even change it to a screen that has a little arrow that you move around with your finger and it reflects on your TV and i didnt see much lag between the two. For some reason it says that the 2nd screen portion of the App isnt available on my phone!? Its a Galaxy S3... you'd think out of any current phones it would be supported? Weird. Oh, you can also hit a game controller icon and your whole screen becomes a virtual controller with the joystick and four buttons. I haven't tried that but i thought it was pretty nifty. I'm sure all of this is the exact same as what people were already using with the 8600 though. New to me.

Ok as for the light bleed issues that i had with 3 different panel/TVs... with the 7600 i had bright spots or hot spots or whatever you want to call it. Usually along the top and/or in the corners. With this new 7400 i dont see those bright spots. However, i do see whole sections on the corners middle sides that appear to be a little brighter.. and i was like CRAP! But then i moved around in the room and the spots changed or lessened etc. They even appeared to go away. Huh? I don't know, i havent messed with it enough yet. Maybe i have to change some video settings around or something? As long as it doesnt have the bright ass spots in the corners etc though i am perfectly happy with this TV.

Ok even though the pics are blurry garbage i'll upload them anyway, sorry its all i have right now smile.gif

Here is the TV after pulling the outer upper box piece off. The stand is one big piece that fits in one long styrofoam piece along the top of the TV. The manual/remote/glasses is now just sitting down in front.

The Manual/Glasses/Remote all come in separate bags but they are all sealed into one piece along the top.

The Stand is just one long piece now as you can see below. You just screw it into the tv with two screws on either end.

This is all we get as far as connections go now... boo LG! frown.gif

A couple pictures of the remote, top close in and the side.

My son playing Dance Central 3 on the 360... dunno why i'm throwing this one in but what the hey smile.gif

That's probably it for now folks... tons of other people will probably have this model in a week or two and someone will be able to put up a good official thread.

Hopefully, he'll have time to report in with more information as time progresses!

Thanks again Splattered!

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1248 Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Splattered, Any updates now that you have been using for close to a week ? Do you notice any input lag, or blurring when gaming ? Can't wait to hear updated thoughts.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #3 of 1248 Old 03-13-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Heh sorry guys, honestly i've had very little time to even use the TV since i got it outside of Netflix with my father a few times (And of course no complaints there)

I havent been able to do any gaming or anything just yet...

I found out i did have local dimming on and turned that off and tried other settings but i am still getting the light bleed from all four corners. Because of the position of all the light circles in the corners though i cant help but wonder if that is somehow deliberate... its very subtle and the light shifts a bit if i move around the room. I've also seen where if i move the remote across the screen when its full black i have seen very lightvertical bar of light bleed or i dont know what you would call it.. but it reaches from top to bottom where the pointer icon is. Kinda weird.

Doesn't bother me at this point though.
post #4 of 1248 Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks for the update but I must say the 55LM8600 on Amazon for $1449.99 is looking more and more tempting. The 55LA7400 is on Amazon (finally) but I think it's going to a while before anyone wants to give on the current asking price of $2099.99. A $650 difference is significant. Damn my childish desire to have the newest crap out! tongue.gif
post #5 of 1248 Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbe425 View Post

Thanks for the update but I must say the 55LM8600 on Amazon for $1449.99 is looking more and more tempting. The 55LA7400 is on Amazon (finally) but I think it's going to a while before anyone wants to give on the current asking price of $2099.99. A $650 difference is significant. Damn my childish desire to have the newest crap out! tongue.gif

I think if you emphasize "crap" in your mind, you'll feel better. :-P

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #6 of 1248 Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Done and done! Got me a 55LM8600 on the way! Not sure why I agonized over this so long. I saved $650 over the 55LA7400. I still get a dual core CPU and voice recognition...woohoo! rolleyes.gif The 7400 has the new and improved remote and supposedly an improved interface for the SMART features. I think the stand is better on the 8600 since it swivels. From splattered's review, the entire TV and stand on the 7400 must turn. Also the 7400 only comes with 4 pairs of glasses not six like the 8600. Anyway, I'm happy. Here's to hoping I get a good one:)!
post #7 of 1248 Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Done and done! Got me a 55LM8600 on the way! Not sure why I agonized over this so long. I saved $650 over the 55LA7400. I still get a dual core CPU and voice recognition...woohoo! rolleyes.gif The 7400 has the new and improved remote and supposedly an improved interface for the SMART features. I think the stand is better on the 8600 since it swivels. From splattered's review, the entire TV and stand on the 7400 must turn. Also the 7400 only comes with 4 pairs of glasses not six like the 8600. Anyway, I'm happy. Here's to hoping I get a good one:)!

Hey good for you man! Must be a relief!!!!!!!!

As for me, I just found out that the Sony R550A 60" will be $1750 at B&Hphoto. So I'm holding out to see how Sony does.

PULEEZE report back to the 8600 thread with any success or failures. There just aren't enough of the "happy people" chiming in.

post #8 of 1248 Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I'll soon be deleting my LA7400 posts in the forums of other TV models (because this one now exists), I thought I'd just get out of the way and post in *this* thread how much I hate the drippy bump in the center bottom bezel.

I've said elsewhere that it looks like freakin' TV acne.

And here was my solution to it (involving my circular saw):
LL

There. Now all is right with the world.

post #9 of 1248 Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM

I really dont mind the little bump at all.. don't notice it. The LG logo on the bump lights up for a split second when i turn the TV and then goes back off but thats about it smile.gif
post #10 of 1248 Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Checked out this tv today at best buy. Picture looks really good, definately brighter, at least how they have it set up , compared to the 7600 below it. Now I have to decide what to do. Like many, really considering jumping on a 8600 model for 1400 range, this was 2099, but came with sound bar, and bluray player. The 7600 might be ok, but seems like it may be underpowered , as far as the processor with smart features. I imaging price will come down a bit soon, but the 8600 is 700 bucks cheaper right now.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #11 of 1248 Old 03-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 11
My local store just got the f8000 and the lg la7400, the 7400 looks a whole lot worst than my lm7600. Was thinking of getting it and selling the 7600 but they had the 7400 side by side with the Sony hx750 I'm dissappointed in the lg.

On display was the 60lm7200 and I think I like the picture of the 7200 more than the 7400.

I also tried out the magic remote the interface is still laggy like my 7600 interface unfortunately

Currently Using:
SONY 55HX750
LG 55LM7600
B&W Panorama 1
post #12 of 1248 Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM

I took the plunge and got this TV with the sound bar with sub and 3D blu ray player bundle. Yes it was more than I wanted to pay but I must say I love this TV. Splattered did a decent review but if anyone has questions let's hear em.
post #13 of 1248 Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I took the plunge and got this TV with the sound bar with sub and 3D blu ray player bundle. Yes it was more than I wanted to pay but I must say I love this TV. Splattered did a decent review but if anyone has questions let's hear em.

Any flashlighting?, or other problems noticed?
post #14 of 1248 Old 03-25-2013, 01:01 PM

No flashlighting and I'm looking like crazy. I have been watching different shows and the family watched the Life of Pi 3D Blu Ray. There were many scenes that were dark for the most part. The blacks are not jet black but they are very good. I'll post some pictures ASAP.
post #15 of 1248 Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 AM

I do have slight flashlighting in all four corners still but it doesnt bother me... its very subtle and appears to shift if i move my head around in front of the TV. I don't even see it anymore unless i try. Perfectly happy with this TV now.
post #16 of 1248 Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 AM

It took me a while but I finally found a DVD that played with the black bars at the top and bottom (Minority Report). It was about 11 p.m. and all the lights were out in the house. I have light bleed in the bottom corners. The right side seems a little greater than the left. I had to stare at it to really notice and as I actually got into the movie I didn't realize it was there. Much like splattered said, I'm totally happy with this TV. If I only notice light bleed when it's totally dark in the house and when there are black bars on the top and bottom..while I'm staring at the corners...I can live with it. Most of the time the picture is full screen and when it is it's so damn beautiful! There are sooo many settings to adjust picture quality is crazy. I used the calibration settings for the LM7600 but didn't care for them so I used the Picture Wizard II. Hopefully some pro settings will be out for this TV in the near future.
post #17 of 1248 Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 10
Hey dbe425. I just wanted to ask you a ? what do you mean by light bleed on the corners on the tv. I just bought this tv on Monday and i love it. it's a great tv with awesome picture and setting. The Blu ray player and sound bar were a great deal.. I picked this tv because i like passive better then active 3d and the picture did take some adjusting but i think i got pretty good. In time there will be calibration on this model and i know i will be able to adjust the picture better. but what dose light bleed mean how do check if my tv dose that.
post #18 of 1248 Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM

Honestly...if you have to ask what is light bleed then you are in a good place. I don't want to get long winded but in 2010 I purchased one of the 2010 Samsung LED TVs. It was one of their mid range models. I had never heard the terms light bleed or clouding and didn't until I started shopping for the TV I just purchased. When I did I immediately ran to my Samsung (which is still a fabulous TV) to check if it had these issues. There is clouding when the TV comes on and goes off. Other than that it's a beautiful picture.

Anyway to answer you question... In an edge-lit TV such as the LA7400, the leds are in the edge all around the TV. There are times when the light output of the leds spills on to the screen. The edges and corners are where you may see it the most. Clouding (I believe) is when you have lighter spots in random areas on the screen.

I have seen some extreme examples which without a doubt should result in a return but a little flash lighting or clouding is almost to be expected in this type of TV. If you want to see if you have it then I would advise you find a movie that shows in letterbox format (black bars at the top and bottom). Watch it when the rooom is totally dark. The perfect situation would be if the bars look totally black but if you have light bleed or clouding the bars may not be as dark in certain areas. At any rate it sounds like you have a good TV so enjoy.
post #19 of 1248 Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

........OR......just be a cranky bastard like the rest of us. Both ways work. smile.gif

post #20 of 1248 Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 AM

well i have some bleeding on the corners of the tv only. but i really don't even noticed them unless i'm looking for them. But for the most part i believe the tv is fine and like you said it almost a giving with edge lit led tv. so i;m not worried and if it ever gets out of control it all good i bought a 5 years warranty from LG premium care at a pretty good price of 209.99+tax. OR should i be worried dbe425
post #21 of 1248 Old 03-30-2013, 12:04 PM

No need for worry especially since you got the 5 year warranty!
post #22 of 1248 Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 PM

it's on only on one corner of the screen which at the bottom left corner. I did notice maybe it because also in that same corner when you put the mouse pointer on there it turns on my apps function. what do you think it only on one little corner and like i said it barely noticeable only if i'm there look at it. before i started reading this thread i did 'nt notice anything until i got the 101 on light bleed. So that being said i would of never noticed anything if i did come to the forum mean it not bad at all. I was watch a you tube video last night on light bleed and that was so bad. mine is no where near that at all.
post #23 of 1248 Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It took me a while but I finally found a DVD that played with the black bars at the top and bottom (Minority Report). It was about 11 p.m. and all the lights were out in the house. I have light bleed in the bottom corners. The right side seems a little greater than the left. I had to stare at it to really notice and as I actually got into the movie I didn't realize it was there. Much like splattered said, I'm totally happy with this TV. If I only notice light bleed when it's totally dark in the house and when there are black bars on the top and bottom..while I'm staring at the corners...I can live with it. Most of the time the picture is full screen and when it is it's so damn beautiful! There are sooo many settings to adjust picture quality is crazy. I used the calibration settings for the LM7600 but didn't care for them so I used the Picture Wizard II. Hopefully some pro settings will be out for this TV in the near future.

You seeing any clouding?

post #24 of 1248 Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 PM

no just little bit of bleeding and like i said it's not really noticeable unless i am there looking for it. If i had guest come be my apartment all they would see is wow what a bad ass y=tv you have.
post #25 of 1248 Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Wow its crazy that this TV is still so new that the thread hasn't even taken off yet... i pop in every now and then to check it out and its still quiet :P
post #26 of 1248 Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

Wow its crazy that this TV is still so new that the thread hasn't even taken off yet... i pop in every now and then to check it out and its still quiet :P
Your one of the first to own this tv, give us updated impressions, pictures. How is the motion, notice any blurring, how bright is the tv ? I'm interested in picking up a new tv, but I use these threads to sell me on an item, as I want to make sure I can get something that I will be happy with. People impressions are what I trust more than a paid reviewer. One last thing, you notice any input lag while gaming ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #27 of 1248 Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 17
Can you folks comment on the black levels and the off angle viewing. I currently have a Samsung F8000 and am considering returning due to poor off angle viewing, stutter, and auto dimming.
post #28 of 1248 Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 PM

Sorry like i said i'm not a professional reviewer... i've noticed zero input lag setting the input to "Game" so far i can't be happier with it as far as gaming goes.

As for Motion, Black Levels, Etc well i turn all that extra stuff off and just use it for gaming and basic movie watching haha so i'm probably not the best person to ask to give impressions.

I run this TV with everything extra disabled...
post #29 of 1248 Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 AM

Don't know for how long it will last but the price has dropped from 2099 just under 1800. I think LG has MMP pricing so not going to be a lot of different advertised pricing. My wife and I went TV shopping last weekend had been looking for a 60 inch size plasma or LED. When we were remodeling the room I tried a cardboard cutout nailed to studs on the wall and 60 seemed right in an empty room. (Bigger is better right) . Our current TV we are using in the room is small and on it's way out. We went shopping because it needed to be replaced and she wanted to save money on a 2012 model.

With price for last years models and not many 2012 LED left in my price point 2000 or under in the feature ranges I wanted (Better than entry level panel). Plasma were the only bargains left.
She actually picked out a Samsung 64" plasma. She really liked the bezel color she said. I think the price had a lot to do with it which was several hundred less than other sets like the 55LA7400.
But when we got it home it was hard to believe how big it was. Who thought 4 inches would make so much difference. It did not look anywhere that big in the store. It over powers the room.
Never thought I say that my wife picked to big of a TV. But we both hate it. Not the color or picture which absolutely amazing on the plasma. Especially from the hall way leading to the room.

But for us it's just to big to watch comfortably in the room. We sit about 10 - 12 feet away. Looks to big for the wall it overpowers everything in the room. We only had 10 days to exchange so we went back last night and the 55 inch 55la7400 was price dropped to same as what we paid for the plasma. She picked the LG and the salesman seemed to be very high on the LG which was mounted right next to Samsung 55. He liked the IPS panel and he made a point to demo the masters on direct TV in 3D that was on at that time. It was pretty amazing.

I will be exchanging the plasma for the LG today. I hope that 55 inch will not seem small as it does in the store. The sizes just don't look that big in the store. But she was afraid the 60 would be to big and the LG 60 has not been released yet.

Since there no professional reviews I am also hoping that it is as good as the 55lm7600 that cnet reviewed last year.

I will try posting a layman's review after I get it installed.
post #30 of 1248 Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Confirmed. The 55LA7400 is now $1799 (Amazon / SBA / Prime)

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55LA7400-55-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00BBAFYWW

The 60" version is $2599, but claims "usually ships in 2 to 5 weeks" which I'm guessing is code speak for "It won't be released for 2 to 5 weeks".

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page