post #361 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashii View Post

First, really apreciate your effords to improve the PQ to the no pro's. Second, although I want to calibrate the TV's as good as I can I suffer really hard on stuttering/juttering problems found on older models (I found ES impossible to watch due the continous juttering on sports shows).
How bad are this effects on this year ? Can anyone upload to youtube some tests with soccer,golf or tennis? Sports are usually is the best way to detect all this problems. How bad are this year's sets?

I find motion handling quite good. You must have skipped over this earlier post - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/150#post_23136803

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I did some more contrast work and it was a little better than a week ago.

Picture mode Movie
Backlight 7 Anything less lowered White luminance too much
Contrast 90 Plus or minus a couple clicks won't make any difference
Brightness 47 The perfect setting on this F8000, set with a Pluge pattern and verified with the meter

Note that all dynamic settings were turned off.

ANSI Contrast 2727 Black 0.011 FtL White 30.9 FtL

Buzz

post #363 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Please show the reference where Samsung says Cal-Day & Night voids the warranty. The modes are available, just like ISFccc in Panasonic, Sharp, and Pioneer Kuro for calibrators to get the most out of the display.

I've posted contrast numbers several times in this thread.

From everything I've read online it is an internal company policy at Samsung. You are ok if an authorized certified technician accesses it though. I pulled this from warranty out of manual:

"The warranty does not apply to any product that has been damaged or rendered defective as a result of any of the following excluded reasons, namely:
● as a result of accident, misuse, or abuse;
through the failure to use this product for its normal purposes;
● by the use of parts not manufactured or sold by Samsung;
● by modification without the written permission of Samsung;
● by damage resulting from transit, neglect, power surge or failure"

I've also came across you can delete the log...while others say its hidden:

"Control-> Sub-Option-> View Log

Log Types (Defect, NVRAM, Diagnosis)
View Log
Delete Log"

Also reference this cnet thread on what a Samsung representive says about accessing service menu.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-581363/un65eh6000-picture-mode-movie-color-temp-warm2/?tag=rb_content;contentMain#message5402477

Granted buzz, you ARE a calibrator..it would just stink for a person who isn't to enable 2 more modes and find out they voided there warranty through the vague directions on what voids warranty.

As far as contrast I should have specified, I didn't want to use the wrong numbers when determining peak Ftl, I see darkest black is .011. I also see you just posted up another adjustment with contrast ratio circled for that particular setting(thanks). When people compared tv's do they use the highest luminance that can get without clipping(noticed early you mentioned 84ftl)? Just curious. Granted as you are never going to watch it with settings like that, would be pointless. I'm not a professional as you can tell biggrin.gif
post #364 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Also reference this cnet thread on what a Samsung representive says about accessing service menu.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-581363/un65eh6000-picture-mode-movie-color-temp-warm2/?tag=rb_content;contentMain#message5402477

Granted buzz, you ARE a calibrator..it would just stink for a person who isn't to enable 2 more modes and find out they voided there warranty through the vague directions on what voids warranty.

The Sammy guy is a tech rep, not an attorney. Speaking of which, I can hear the defense attorney now..... "Service menu entry codes and the use of Cal modes is found everywhere in public forums throughout the Internet. If there is indeed a problem why have you not noted it specifically in the warranty document? Certain other display manufacturers have made service menu entry impossible without special service remote controls. Why haven't you done this as well?" etc. etc. etc. I don't recall seeing that anyone has lost a warranty "because he entered the service menu". There are a plethora of folks, however, who had to pay techs to recover the mistakes made while in the service menu. Like I said in my SM entry tutorial earlier in this thread (paraphrased), "Follow my directions exactly and don't do anything else!" wink.gif

Quote:

As far as contrast I should have specified, I didn't want to use the wrong numbers when determining peak Ftl, I see darkest black is .011. I also see you just posted up another adjustment with contrast ratio circled for that particular setting(thanks). When people compared tv's do they use the highest luminance that can get without clipping(noticed early you mentioned 84ftl)? Just curious. Granted as you are never going to watch it with settings like that, would be pointless. I'm not a professional as you can tell biggrin.gif

Pay zero attention to advertised contrast ratios. They're all BS.

In order to get 84 FtL the Backlight was turned up to max, and as Backlight increases, Blacks as well as Whites increase in luminance to some extent. White is set at a level consistent with the viewing environment. Higher levels can induce eye fatigue. Black is then adjusted to the point just before further control reduction starts to crush near black down into black causing a loss of shadow detail. The measured black level at this point is what it is and there is nothing further to be accomplished shy of deviating from the standards the TV is being calibrated for in the first place.

Hope that helps.

Buzz

post #365 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I find motion handling quite good. You must have skipped over this earlier post - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/150#post_23136803

Thanks, I read all posts long this thread. I was said last year that juttering was low on ES series but when I saw the set on local shop I was amazed how clear I saw the cuts and suddenly velocity changes on the image but no the shop seller. Some other people on my side at local shop didn't saw the stuttering/juttering. That mean that, or some people is no sensitive to this effects or I 'm too much. Until the set arrives to my local shop I hope to see some images on video reviews (difficult to find yet).
Again thank you for you detailed info.
post #366 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I did some more contrast work and it was a little better than a week ago.

Picture mode Movie
Backlight 7 Anything less lowered White luminance too much
Contrast 90 Plus or minus a couple clicks won't make any difference
Brightness 47 The perfect setting on this F8000, set with a Pluge pattern and verified with the meter

Note that all dynamic settings were turned off.

ANSI Contrast 2727 Black 0.011 FtL White 30.9 FtL

Did you have to change any of the White Balance settings?
post #367 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickstv View Post

Did you have to change any of the White Balance settings?

There was probably a click or two worth there but nothing that would be visible. In another week I'll have 250-300 hours on the TV and the components will have done much of their settling by then. At that point I'll adjust for my first post where only the 2 point White Balance controls were used and not the 10 point or the CMS. I expect it to be reasonably accurate with those settings for a long time after that.

Buzz

post #368 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:

When you enable Day / Night Cal in the service menu, is it enabled for all HDMI inputs or just the one you are using at the time of engagement? Notice in your picture, it shows HDMI 1.
post #369 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 PM

Just enabled Cal Night/Day and set it up. I like the idea of being able to quickly select which setting would be best for lighting in room instead of relying on ECO sensor.
post #370 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Just enabled Cal Night/Day and set it up. I like the idea of being able to quickly select which setting would be best for lighting in room instead of relying on ECO sensor.

Does it show up for each input source?
post #371 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickstv View Post

Does it show up for each input source?

yes

Buzz

post #372 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

I'm not sure if enabling Cal-Night/Day is worth sacrificing warranty with Samsung?

*edit*
My TV is on the wall to close to see but I'm curious for the US guys...next to the serial number, what model panel number is it?

With at least one calibration done, can someone do the math and post up the actual contrast values?

Yeah, that's a very valid concern I believe. I would like those cal modes available, but I would not feel comfortable going into the service menu, and risk Samsung voiding the warranty if I ever need to rely on it.
post #373 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please show the reference where Samsung says Cal-Day & Night voids the warranty. The modes are available, just like ISFccc in Panasonic, Sharp, and Pioneer Kuro for calibrators to get the most out of the display.

I've posted contrast numbers several times in this thread.

I remember reading this a while back too. There was a whole article about Samsung claiming they will void your warranty if they see the service menu has been accessed. I think CNET may have run the article but I can't remember for sure. Unfortunately I cannot find the link at the moment.

Now, I don't know that they can legally do that. I'm just saying that I've definitely read an article about Samsung's claims, and the article suggested it might not be a good idea to do it based on Samsung's stance on it. I really don't see how they could do that, since how would they know if you had a pro-calibration that activated the modes for you? How could they ever prove you did it, and how could you disprove it? The whole thing doesn't make any sense.

But the same can be true for retail stores that sell fancy glass items and put up a sign saying "you break it - you buy it". In the area I live in, it's against state law to try and force a customer to pay for an item that is accidentally broken in store. But that doesn't stop many stores from trying to scare people. And I'm sure they have threatened many customers into actually paying, even though they legally can't. Same for Samsung here - they may not legally be able to do that - but that might not stop them from trying to scare us with threats.

You may want to read this review from a customer though on an older set - the customer describes a conversation with a Samsung rep that told him/her that because they accessed the service menu, their warranty on the tv was now void:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-226bw/4864-3174_7-32327967-22.html

Also read an old wiki page that mentions this at the top:

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Service_Menu
post #374 of 7607 Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM

I really think its an internal policy by Samsung. As long as you don't screw anything up while in the service menu and you end up needing to use the warranty for a completely unrelated reason...just don't mention it/be evasive and you should be ok. I REALLY like having 3 different settings that are functional.

Took a few photo's with my iphone(last one is with DSLR, but dark pictures I can't seem to get great settings for it, it wants to soak in to much light):

No Smart LED

Smart LED low

Smart LED standard

Smart LED high

Smart LED on low...but its not a dark scene so doesn't matter really. Note, this was DSLR picture.

These settings are the ones under Cal Night recommendations. The only thing I tweaked was Smart LED. I would have done black precision but its block when streaming from DLNA content.
AGUSTINFOREVER likes this.
post #375 of 7607 Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Adgrimes.. Thanks
post #376 of 7607 Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sammy guy is a tech rep, not an attorney. Speaking of which, I can hear the defense attorney now..... "Service menu entry codes and the use of Cal modes is found everywhere in public forums throughout the Internet. If there is indeed a problem why have you not noted it specifically in the warranty document? Certain other display manufacturers have made service menu entry impossible without special service remote controls. Why haven't you done this as well?" etc. etc. etc. I don't recall seeing that anyone has lost a warranty "because he entered the service menu". There are a plethora of folks, however, who had to pay techs to recover the mistakes made while in the service menu. Like I said in my SM entry tutorial earlier in this thread (paraphrased), "Follow my directions exactly and don't do anything else!" wink.gif
Pay zero attention to advertised contrast ratios. They're all BS.

In order to get 84 FtL the Backlight was turned up to max, and as Backlight increases, Blacks as well as Whites increase in luminance to some extent. White is set at a level consistent with the viewing environment. Higher levels can induce eye fatigue. Black is then adjusted to the point just before further control reduction starts to crush near black down into black causing a loss of shadow detail. The measured black level at this point is what it is and there is nothing further to be accomplished shy of deviating from the standards the TV is being calibrated for in the first place.

Hope that helps.

From the link posted above form adgrimes:

"My client is not comfortable to let me get into the service menu. I showed your message , but he don't want to deal with warranty void issues as one of his colleague faced issues with samsung support for similar kind service menu calibration by authorized service technician. Samsung support team refused and voided his support as service menu was touched during calibration."

Regardless of legality, it sounds to me, since I've read about this happening several times now, that Samsung tends to scare people away from the service menu, and if at all possible, will take any opportunity they can to void your warranty based on your accessing the service menu, if they get the opportunity to. Remember, the tv does keep logs of when the service menu was accessed.

Most people would rather not have to get an attorney involved over a warranty claim, as going through a warranty repair is hassle enough, without needeing to get a lwayer involved. It's clear to me that Smsung doesn't want people in the service menu, so personally I would not want to take that chance. At least if you get a pro calibration, and you keep your receipt for the work, that should prove based on the logs of the tv that you didn't go into the service menu, because the logs will show the date of the service menu as being the same date of the calibration. Without a way to prove it wasn't you, it will be your word against Samsung. It may not be legal, but that doesn't mean they won't try to void your warranty coverage all the same.
post #377 of 7607 Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfibre View Post

I use PLEX server and the PLEX app to stream 1080p mkv movies to the TV, but it seems that in all picture modes the black bars on top and bottom are gray and not completely turned off as when I have a source connected with HDMI. Cinema Black option is always grayed out, not available. Is that normal?

It appears when using any app or even streaming a DLNA source, Cinema Black option is greyed out. Can anyone think of a reason?? I feel like this has been addresssed somewhere but remind me, is there a negative to running cinema black during wide screen content?

Sad, plex had me excited but then I realized I had a synology 213+ nas that has a PPC processor that isn't supported by any builds.

A user that has PC mode enabled, can you post which settings you no longer have access to? When I have game mode on, I am missing the following:

Forced into standard mode only. You loose 10P white Balance options, HDMI Black Level, Film Mode, and Auto Motion Plus.

Maybe PC mode you don't loose as much? If you don't loose as much, is there a negative to having all sources as "PC"? Remember I'm running only 1 hdmi from denon currently.
post #378 of 7607 Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Remember, the tv does keep logs of when the service menu was accessed.
....because the logs will show the date of the service menu as being the same date of the calibration.

Eagle, sorry to short the qoute up, but what about just accessing the log feature(I posted this earlier)?

"Log(View Log)

View Log
Delete Log"

Pretty sure I read its the defect log somewhere?
post #379 of 7607 Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eagle, sorry to short the qoute up, but what about just accessing the log feature(I posted this earlier)?

"Log(View Log)

View Log
Delete Log"

Pretty sure I read its the defect log somewhere?

Well, that would maybe keep the log clear so that couldn't be used against you. But I wonder, don't you need to be in the service menu to get to that log in order to delete it? The fact that it's been deleted at some point - is that enough to raise suspicion on Samsung's part?Why would it be deleted if the user wasn't in there and snooping around, and then deleted the log to hide it?

Or is there no trace you've been in there and no evidence of the log being deleted?

I just wish they let us have these modes enabled in the first place. Why on earth should we not have access to them? It makes zero sense. What harm is there in letting us have access to 2 other custom modes? Why put us in this position? Of course I would like to enable these too if I end up with the set - I'm just scared - Samsung can be brutal, and I say that from first-hand experience.
post #380 of 7607 Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

post #381 of 7607 Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM

*edited* to reflect fw 11.16
Game mode settings not available:
Picture Mode: Standard only
Picture Options:
Film Mode
Auto Motion Plus

Advanced Settings:
10p White Balance (forced off)
Motion Lighting

PC Mode settings not available:
Picture Mode: Entertain OR Standard only
Color
Tint
Picture Options:
Digital Clean View
MPEG Noise Filter
Film Mode
Auto Motion Plus
Smart LED
Cinema Black

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast
Black Tone
Flesh
RGB Only Mode
Color Space (Forced Native)
10P White Balance
Expert Pattern
Motion Lighting

Entering PC Mode:
Source
Move Up/Right and select Tools
Drop Down List of Names Appears
Select PC

Note: PC mode can only be accessed on sources not assigned to a "Samsung" device(i.e. Samsung Bluray) or any input set up with their universal remote system...it renames source forcing a keyboard naming option that does not enable PC mode. Simply select HDMI 1/2/3/4, select tools(top right), a drop down list should appear, select PC and select it. This mode/dropdown list is ONLY accessible from HDMI's that weren't previously assigned to a Samsung Product or your universal remote. If you wish to assign PC mode to a port previously assigned to STB, just delete the universal remote settings.
post #382 of 7607 Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've just discovered quite a few grayed out options as well while streaming movies direct from my NAS/Media server, even in movie mode. What could possibly be the reason for this? Frustrating.

Samsung UN55F8000
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Bowers and Wilkins 683
Bowers and Wilkins HTM-61
Definitive Tech XTR-20BP
Definitive Tech Supercube 2
8TB Iomega Media Server
post #383 of 7607 Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

At least if you get a pro calibration, and you keep your receipt for the work, that should prove based on the logs of the tv that you didn't go into the service menu, because the logs will show the date of the service menu as being the same date of the calibration. Without a way to prove it wasn't you, it will be your word against Samsung. It may not be legal, but that doesn't mean they won't try to void your warranty coverage all the same.

First of all, I've never heard of anyone getting their warranty voided because of service menu access. Secondly, there is no 'license" to access the SM granted by a THX or ISF certification. It was never even mentioned in class. You are making assumptions. Pros access service menus all the time in displays that require it because of the location of the controls. It's no big deal. We just don't mess with anything else in there and neither should you. If you want to press the issue further, start a separate thread please.

Anyone wanting the additional modes in the F8000 need do nothing more than follow the little tutorial I wrote. It takes 2 minutes. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/180#post_23142413

Buzz

post #384 of 7607 Old 04-08-2013, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this TV since we are giving the ES8000 to our son who is moving out, just checking if amazon is the way to go for best price?

Samsung UN55F8000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV

thanks!
post #385 of 7607 Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First of all, I've never heard of anyone getting their warranty voided because of service menu access. Secondly, there is no 'license" to access the SM granted by a THX or ISF certification. It was never even mentioned in class. You are making assumptions. Pros access service menus all the time in displays that require it because of the location of the controls. It's no big deal. We just don't mess with anything else in there and neither should you. If you want to press the issue further, start a separate thread please.

Anyone wanting the additional modes in the F8000 need do nothing more than follow the little tutorial I wrote. It takes 2 minutes. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/180#post_23142413

I'm not making assumptions. I'm not the one pressing the issue here. You don't seem to like that I'm having a different opinion here. There are literally dozens of threads all over the internet from concerned owners that have heard of Samsung threatening to void the warranty from accessing the service menu. You're acting like I'm the only one who has ever suggested this. It's all over the internet. Obviously this concern grew from somewhere. And I know what I read. There was an entire article about this very concern from a respected tech site posted maybe a year ago give or take if if I'm remembering the date correctly. I read the article myself, and the takeaway at the end was basically owners should be very cautious about entering the service menu, as there is a risk of Samsung voiding the warranty based on the access, if they want to. I have posted links to two different places int he past 2 days from owners that either they personally or someone they knew has been denied warranty after Samsung discovered they were in the service menu.

And you fail to notice what you said in your own post above. "Pros access service menus all the time.". Yes, they do - and they are pros. - Samsung has stated that pros are allowed to - because they're pros. It's very obvious that Samsung doesn't want owners to go in there. I don't see how you can argue differently. Will they ever know? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how things go when it comes time for a warranty repair.

I don't see why you're so offended that I'm suggesting that people use discretion and consider the consequences of going in there. There is certainly valid cause for concern. I'm just trying to keep some owners from discovering this the hard way. By the way, it isn't only Samsung that does this. I was in a different thread earlier for another tv manufacturer where there is also discussion of them voiding their warranty if their service menu is accessed. It's clear manufacturers are simply using it as an excuse to find reasons to void people's warranty. That should be enough to think twice about it.

That's all I'm saying on the matter. People can decide for themselves if they want to chance their $2,000 - $3,000 tv's warranty just to unlock the cal day/night settings. Samsung is not very helpful when you call looking for service, and I can say that based on many months of experience dealing with them for my old defective set. I suggest people don't give them any more reasons to make it difficult on them if they need to call on the warranty.

Here's an idea - how about owners call Samsung and ask them if they mind them going in and enabling cal day/night? I guarantee they will say absolutely no - don't do it unless you're a pro. That should be all they need to know that's it's not a great idea to be in there, since Samsung clearly doesn't want us in there.
post #386 of 7607 Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those to lazy to read through:

Game mode settings not available:

Picture Options:
HDMI Black Level (forced normal)
Film Mode
Auto Motion Plus

Advanced Settings:
10p White Balance (forced off)
Motion Lighting

PC Mode settings not available:

Picture Options:
Digital Clean View
MPEG Noise Filter
HDMI Black Level
Film Mode
Auto Motion Plus
Smart LED
Cinema Black

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast
Black Tone
Flesh
RGB Only Mode
Color Space
10P White Balance
Expert Pattern
Motion Lighting

Thanks for posting the short version for everyone! You might want to add to that the missing color and tint options though in the basic picture settings. They're also unavailable in pc mode, but available in game mode.
post #387 of 7607 Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahOlin View Post

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this TV since we are giving the ES8000 to our son who is moving out, just checking if amazon is the way to go for best price?

Samsung UN55F8000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV

thanks!
greystoneappliance.com has it for a good bit less. http://www.greystoneappliance.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-240Hz-3D-LED-HDTV-p/un55f8000.htm

Perhaps Amazon would price match it? My BestBuy price matched it on my F8000.

~Bill
post #388 of 7607 Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

greystoneappliance.com has it for a good bit less. http://www.greystoneappliance.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-240Hz-3D-LED-HDTV-p/un55f8000.htm

Perhaps Amazon would price match it? My BestBuy price matched it on my F8000.

YMMV Amazon has a very strict policy for price matching and I doubt they will. I tried multiple different ways with 0 luck.
post #389 of 7607 Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM

Hi Everyone!

So after going through a Sony HX729 and HX850, I was able to get a refund from Sony as I had a horrible experience with them.mad.gif

I first purchased the 55ES8000 with which I was pleased at first. Unfortunately as the first week went by I started noticing flash lighting on the corners and a lot of banding. Needless to say, I went back to Best Buy and had it returned and paid the difference to get the 55F8000. rolleyes.gif

My experience with the F8000 has been amazing so far. No issues found as of yet (no flash lighting, no banding) Uniformed brightness throughout panel. 3D is amazing when coming from the previous Sony TV's that I had. 2D picture is gorgeous and makes watching a movie a truly pleasant experience. Even my wife that normally doesn't care about the image and all the features of the TV noticed the huge difference of quality when she first saw this TV.

I will have Best Buy come down to calibrate the TV soon and will post more of my impressions as time goes by.
AGUSTINFOREVER likes this.
post #390 of 7607 Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

HDMI1 1D AdvancedColorManagementReport_AVS.pdf 415k .pdf file
Page 3:
The Amplitudes dE chart shows that the F8000 amplitude tracking is not good at all. What is being measured at the 100% saturation point is how bright the color is relative to what it is supposed to be as input stimulus is reduced. For example, take Red at 100% saturation and reduce the brightness to 75%. The chart shows that the dE which was very good at 100% brightness with a dE of about .5 is increased to a poor dE of over 13 when stimulus is reduced to 75%.

What to do?
About a year ago ChromaPure calibration software enabled the ability to calibrate using 75% saturation patterns as well as 100%. This makes perfect sense as many (most) consumer displays are not capable of reaching all of the 100% points anyway so when using the display controls in an effort to reach them many aspects of the picture are pulled away from standards. Most content is in the 25 to 75% range anyway so calibrating at 75% brings out the "duh?" factor. I calibrated the F8000 at 75% saturation and the result can be seen on this report. vive la différence....

6Apr 75 Sat Cal AdvancedColorManagementReport_AVS.pdf 386k .pdf file

If you are having your F8000 professionally calibrated you might want to refer him or her to this post before you spend your money.

Amplitudes dE with display calibrated at 100% color saturation relative to 75%
Great post. The ES8000 has the same issue with amplitude tracking and I spent a lot of time considering best path forward. For all the DIY'ers out there, I got best results by doing full calibrations at 100% saturation/100% luminance, 75% saturation/100% luminance, and 75%sat/75%lum and then identifying where the biggest divergences were and taking the average of the three measurements to reduce overall average amplitude error. Subjectively, I tried to keep absolute errors below around 6% but in certain cases you just take what is available. This is obviously time consuming but I did get to a place that I am happy with in the end.

Also, in terms of subjective evaluation of calibration, I found the images in this post very helpful - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466036/calibrators-lets-talk-shadow-detail

Cheers
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page