Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4411 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Member
 
Chigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin View Post

I would like someone's recommendation as well as to what model I should get. I recently bought the 65" M-series Vizio 3D TV and it is going back. After watching some movies with darker scenes I started seeing these white clouds, come to find out after coming to these forums, it is pretty standard with LEDs. I have two plasmas, this was my first LED, so I wasn't expecting this issue. Anyway, so I've been reading about dimming and these Samsungs are suppose to fix the flashlight issue better and I've narrowed down to the F8000 or the F7100, or possibly back to plasmas and get the Samsung F8500 plasma.

I can't live with what I'm seeing in the four corners of my Vizio, is the way Samsung handles this problem with edge-lit LEDs better? I'd much rather pay the extra money for the F8000 if it is a better TV. This is going into my game room where I watch a lot of movies and play a lot of Playstation. Thanks.

Will the new TV be going in the same room where you previously had one of your plasmas? Can you control the lighting in this room? If so, and if you have been satisfied with the performance of the plasma in that room, then you may want to stick with plasma. If you are sensitive to the issues of LED lighting and you want the absolute best performance (deep blacks, accurate colors, good screen uniformity, and good off-angle viewing) in dim to dark lighting, plasma is likely the best option. I would look at the Samsung F8500 you mentioned, as well as the current plasmas from Panasonic. On the other hand, if you have a room with lots of windows/ambient light, and want a TV that will display great picture in a lit room without sacrificing too much in the dark, the F8000 is it. If you have the budget, I would definitely spring for the F8000 over the F7100. See my post a few posts back; I've had both the F6300 and the F8000 in my room recently, and it was no contest--the F8000 had much better black levels/contrast and better uniformity. While I have not had the F7100, the reviews/comparisons from reputable sites like CNET have indicated that it offers only marginally better performance than the 6300. The F8000 simply offers better dimming/light control, and is widely considered the best edge-lit LED made so far. No LED is completely free of all light uniformity issues, but the F8000 minimizes them to almost nothing, and it’s the best in its category. I don’t think you would be disappointed, but just in case, buy form a retailer with a good return policy so you can try it in your room and take it back if not satisfied.
Chigo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4412 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakzz View Post

Well ufo here on the forum dont agree with you on theese numbers and said this:

That testing is complete rubbish. Do not take anyones input lag results with any grain of truth unless they are using the LB input lag tester. The fact that he actually believes he is getting 33ms input lag with motion processing on rolleyes.gif
Edited by *UFO* - 1/14/14 at 2:23am

I would like to get my hands on an updated f8000 just to show everyone that input has in-fact not changed. Samsung would not "fix" the f8000, and leave all other models in the dust. Im sorry, but the input lag on the f8000 has not changed. You are simply getting used to the higher lag.
*UFO*

Then you're saying my high shutter speed camera is fabricating numbers? I'm not getting used to high lag, I'm getting lower lag thanks to firmware updates and my camera confirms this. I can play competitively either on my low input lag fast response time monitors or my F8000 just as well. So if YOU don't believe the numbers my camera captured, then that's too bad.

Input lag depends upon how fast the picture can be processed by the processor and firmware. If *UFO* is familiar with how software and hardware work together, he'd understand that optimization and stream lining and threading can in fact reduce the time it takes to do processes. On paper, the processors between the top end TV's are rather similar yet one can get a lower input lag than the other. That is due to software differences and NOT hardware differences. Give Samsung the time and attention and they can easily update firmware to be faster and more efficient.

I already put a disclaimer on my original input lag post and reinforced several times that the TV was only displaying the input lag clock and thus no motion processing was needed which would reduce the average input lag time considerably. I even went on to say that if I had a movie playing in the background next to the clock the input lag would spike more than likely. Does it matter? No, because there are no lip sync issues and no serious competitive gamer looking for low input lag plays games with motion enhancers on.

If you're going to quote people, quote the entire post because I already had this disclaimer in the original post and yet it was cut out of your critique. Maybe you just didn't read it.
DRN94 is online now  
post #4413 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

That's too bad. Input lag depends upon how fast the picture can be processed by the processor and firmware. If *UFO* is familiar with how software and hardware work together, he'd understand that optimization and stream lining and threading can in fact reduce the time it takes to do processes. On paper, the processors between the top end TV's are rather similar yet one can get a lower input lag than the other. That is due to software differences and NOT hardware differences. Give Samsung the time and attention and they can easily update firmware to be faster and more efficient.

I already put a disclaimer on my original input lag post and reinforced several times that the TV was only displaying the input lag clock and thus no motion processing was needed which would reduce the average input lag time considerably. I even went on to say that if I had a movie playing in the background next to the clock the input lag would spike more than likely. Does it matter? No, because there are no lip sync issues and no serious competitive gamer looking for low input lag plays games with motion enhancers on.

If you're going to quote people, quote the entire post because I already had this disclaimer in the original post and yet it was cut out of your critique. Maybe you just didn't read it.

Well he had answered you here in the thread to, so you can discuss the mather with him smile.gif

I went for the Sony since its way better for gaming smile.gif
snakzz is offline  
post #4414 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakzz View Post

Well he had answered you here in the thread to, so you can discuss the mather with him smile.gif

I went for the Sony since its way better for gaming smile.gif

That's fine and dandy you chose the Sony but no where has anyone provided evidence to back up your statement of it being "way better" for gaming. So if you don't need evidence or proof in your judgements and decisions than that's your problem.

And I don't have to discuss anything with anyone. I'm able to play highly competitively and do the same 30 kills and 2 death matches on my F8000 like I could do on my old Sony CRT. So if you're going to be an input lag number stickler rather than base your decision on whether or not you can actually play the game with skill and reaction, then I don't know what to tell you. A TV may be a few miliseconds faster than another but does that take away my ability to kick ass? Nope.
DRN94 is online now  
post #4415 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

That's fine and dandy you chose the Sony but no where has anyone provided evidence to back up your statement of it being "way better" for gaming. So if you don't need evidence or proof in your judgements and decisions than that's your problem.

I choosed based on the tv reviews where the Sony had way lower input lag in all and also displaylag.com smile.gif
snakzz is offline  
post #4416 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Just to add my 2 cents..

I have been playing "lego Super heroes" on the PS4 on my F8000 and it is great. The visual are great. The sound is great. I also, don't see any lags. When I press the button for something to do (move a direction, hit someone, etc.), it is at same time.. To me, if there is any lag difference it isn't that noticeable. I am enjoying the PS4 on the F8000. smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is offline  
post #4417 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

Just to add my 2 cents..

I have been playing "lego Super heroes" on the PS4 on my F8000 and it is great. The visual are great. The sound is great. I also, don't see any lags. When I press the button for something to do (move a direction, hit someone, etc.), it is at same time.. To me, if there is any lag difference it isn't that noticeable. I am enjoying the PS4 on the F8000. smile.gif

Exactly. If anyone truly thinks 10 milliseconds of input lag makes a difference in reaction time or skill is delusional. Unless you're a professional Counter Strike player who plays for a sponsored team, the F8000 is more than fast enough for even the most competitive gamers.
DRN94 is online now  
post #4418 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Member
 
doyoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TV input lag is only part the chain of events that determines overall response time to a gaming event. The average human response time is about 200 ms. If you're playing a multiplayer game that uses remote servers, the ping time to the server introduces lag which could be 30 ms to 100 ms or more. A little bit of lag can be also be caused by using a wireless connection to the game console and using a wireless game controller. So even if one TV had a 20 ms reduction in input lag over another TV, it's only a small percentage of the overall lag.

Add to that the method by which the multiplayer game determines hit detection, which is an approximation at best, and that 20 ms becomes even less of an issue. One recent example of problematic hit detection is Battlefield 4. The forums for this game are filled with complaints about the game's questionable hit detection, which will never be perfect.

If you're really so hung up on input lag for a display device, you should be playing a multiplayer game on a PC that has a beefy graphics card to maximize frame rate and use a wired mouse and keyboard and a gaming monitor.
DRN94 likes this.
doyoid is offline  
post #4419 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Precisely why I game on a GTX 670 with a high DPI mouse and mechanical keyboard. Since the F8000 is an extended display for my computer, I can easily switch to it for a large screen experience if I so desire. Coming from my main high speed native 120hz gaming monitor, the F8000 is practically identical in lag response. Anyone getting riled up about tiny number differences clearly hasn't experienced it for themselves. There is no discernible input lag difference when gaming competitive multiplayer or casual single player.
DRN94 is online now  
post #4420 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
m6speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I set my input for my ps4 as pc, I had it as game and normal and the lag between the controller and what happens on tv was awful, as pc it's just right.
m6speed is offline  
post #4421 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6speed View Post

I set my input for my ps4 as pc, I had it as game and normal and the lag between the controller and what happens on tv was awful, as pc it's just right.

What picture settings are you using on the F8000?
DRN94 is online now  
post #4422 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Newbie
 
Rlukas79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just picked up an open box UN65F8000.  I've used the settings that are on page 1 and still find the picture to look somewhat soft.  Also I have the latest firmware and according to what some people are saying, that when upgraded to the latest firmware, it killed the "HD picture".  Is that a known issue?

Rlukas79 is offline  
post #4423 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Newbie
 
m6speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post

Just picked up an open box UN65F8000.  I've used the settings that are on page 1 and still find the picture to look somewhat soft.  Also I have the latest firmware and according to what some people are saying, that when upgraded to the latest firmware, it killed the "HD picture".  Is that a known issue?

v1118? I updated today and the pic seems softer, there were updated settings somewhere in the middle of this thread
m6speed is offline  
post #4424 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Member
 
keeso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post

I got a new 55 inch F8000 a few days ago. One thing I noticed is that the Cinema Black option is not available when using the TV's built in Smart Hub apps like Netflix, Hulu and so on. Anyone else noticed this and why would this option be disabled? I have to use my Blu Ray player in order to get all my picture options which is a silly thing to have to do.
This issue had been addressed before. I have emailed both samsung and the app makers petitioning them to make these settings available. Samsung claims it's up to to app maker to add them. The more people they hear from the more likely it will be fixed.
adgrimes likes this.
keeso is offline  
post #4425 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

Then you're saying my high shutter speed camera is fabricating numbers? I'm not getting used to high lag, I'm getting lower lag thanks to firmware updates and my camera confirms this. I can play competitively either on my low input lag fast response time monitors or my F8000 just as well. So if YOU don't believe the numbers my camera captured, then that's too bad.

Input lag depends upon how fast the picture can be processed by the processor and firmware. If *UFO* is familiar with how software and hardware work together, he'd understand that optimization and stream lining and threading can in fact reduce the time it takes to do processes. On paper, the processors between the top end TV's are rather similar yet one can get a lower input lag than the other. That is due to software differences and NOT hardware differences. Give Samsung the time and attention and they can easily update firmware to be faster and more efficient.

I already put a disclaimer on my original input lag post and reinforced several times that the TV was only displaying the input lag clock and thus no motion processing was needed which would reduce the average input lag time considerably. I even went on to say that if I had a movie playing in the background next to the clock the input lag would spike more than likely. Does it matter? No, because there are no lip sync issues and no serious competitive gamer looking for low input lag plays games with motion enhancers on.

If you're going to quote people, quote the entire post because I already had this disclaimer in the original post and yet it was cut out of your critique. Maybe you just didn't read it.

DRN you have no idea how the FI on these tv's work. It does not matter if the screen is all black with just 1 white pixel, the processing lag will not change. It is still creating more frames. If what you were saying was true, then the LB lag tester would be testing tv's extremely low when in fact, it tests tv's to be on average twice as slow as the camera method. So for example, if you test a tv at 20ms with the camera method, it will likely clock in at around 40ms with the LB input lag tester. Again, nothing has changed with the input lag. It still has the same ~46ms in game mode, while being slightly faster in PC mode. I think you have mistaken "unplayable" for "not ideal". Of course you can still play FPS games and be at the top of the scoreboard with 46ms. You end up getting used to the lag. The human brain is an amazing thing. The problem here is that there is better out there, and you want to strive for the lowest input lag possible. Again, all that matters is that you like it. Not trying to put this tv down, just stating facts. Like I said, I recently tested an f7100 that had the latest firmware and it was still at the ~42ms quoted by displaylag.com, and Samsung would not just fix the f8000 and forget about the others.
*UFO* is offline  
post #4426 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

DRN you have no idea how the FI on these tv's work. It does not matter if the screen is all black with just 1 white pixel, the processing lag will not change. It is still creating more frames. If what you were saying was true, then the LB lag tester would be testing tv's extremely low when in fact, it tests tv's to be on average twice as slow as the camera method. So for example, if you test a tv at 20ms with the camera method, it will likely clock in at around 40ms with the LB input lag tester. Again, nothing has changed with the input lag. It still has the same ~46ms in game mode, while being slightly faster in PC mode. I think you have mistaken "unplayable" for "not ideal". Of course you can still play FPS games and be at the top of the scoreboard with 46ms. You end up getting used to the lag. The human brain is an amazing thing. The problem here is that there is better out there, and you want to strive for the lowest input lag possible. Again, all that matters is that you like it. Not trying to put this tv down, just stating facts. Like I said, I recently tested an f7100 that had the latest firmware and it was still at the ~42ms quoted by displaylag.com, and Samsung would not just fix the f8000 and forget about the others.

My camera doesn't lie. The F8000 was consistently 5ms to 10ms behind my other 22ms display. Basic arithmetic says we can add the difference to the reference display's input lag of 22ms.

and I know more about how the F8000 responds to picture processing. The anti-blur algorithms only detect and process motion when there is motion on screen, its not like black frame interpolation that is occurring all the time. So yes, lag time depends upon what is being displayed at a given time WITH motion enhancers on.
In game mode, it doesn't matter if motion is on the screen or not as you've said, so my input lag test still stands which I will again remind you that over 4 firmware updates have been applied since displaylag and you tested your F7100. And displaylag doesn't revisit their initial lag readings and no where does any logic say the firmware updates or optimization efforts are aimed at all ranges of Samsung TV's. You're some how taking your outdated, misinformed assumption and putting it forth as fact right now.

I don't care if displaylag is out of date or you way back when tested a DIFFERENT TV. I'll believe MY camera and my own eyes and observation. And that says input lag is sub 30ms on game mode.

I don't blame you for the skepticism but you can take outdated info on the internet if you'd like. I'll take my up to date firmware and 1/200 of a second shutter speed which made the numbers clear as day.

In fact, give me a moment and I'll do yet another input lag test for the new firmware AND post the pictures as proof for you.
blacknyc likes this.
DRN94 is online now  
post #4427 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

My camera doesn't lie. The F8000 was consistently 5ms to 10ms behind my other 22ms display. Basic arithmetic says we can add the difference to the reference display's input lag of 22ms.

and I know more about how the F8000 responds to picture processing. The anti-blur algorithms only detect and process motion when there is motion on screen, its not like black frame interpolation that is occurring all the time. So yes, lag time depends upon what is being displayed at a given time WITH motion enhancers on.
In game mode, it doesn't matter if motion is on the screen or not as you've said, so my input lag test still stands which I will again remind you that over 4 firmware updates have been applied since displaylag and you tested your F7100. And displaylag doesn't revisit their initial lag readings and no where does any logic say the firmware updates or optimization efforts are aimed at all ranges of Samsung TV's. You're some how taking your outdated, misinformed assumption and putting it forth as fact right now.

I don't care if displaylag is out of date or you way back when tested a DIFFERENT TV. I'll believe MY camera and my own eyes and observation. And that says input lag is sub 30ms on game mode.

I don't blame you for the skepticism but you can take outdated info on the internet if you'd like. I'll take my up to date firmware and 1/200 of a second shutter speed which made the numbers clear as day.

In fact, give me a moment and I'll do yet another input lag test for the new firmware AND post the pictures as proof for you.

I do not think you are understanding what I am saying. I tested an f7100 less than 2 weeks ago. Secondly, the camera method is inaccurate and shows as being twice as faster then it really is. For example, the w900a was measured to be around 9ms of input lag with the camera method, while being around 20ms with the LB input lag tester. So your 22ms with the camera method sounds about right because if you double it, you get close to the 46ms quoted by displaylag.com. In other words, the lag is still the same, it has not changed.

Here is a link to show how inaccurate the "high speed camera" method is: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm Look at the difference between the camera method and the LB input lag tester. So in essence, yes, your camera does indeed lie.
*UFO* is offline  
post #4428 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I do not think you are understanding what I am saying. I tested an f7100 less than 2 weeks ago. Secondly, the camera method is inaccurate and shows as being twice as faster then it really is. For example, the w900a was measured to be around 9ms of input lag with the camera method, while being around 20ms with the LB input lag tester. So your 22ms with the camera method sounds about right because if you double it, you get close to the 46ms quoted by displaylag.com. In other words, the lag is still the same, it has not changed.

Here is a link to show how inaccurate the "high speed camera" method is: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm Look at the difference between the camera method and the LB input lag tester. So in essence, yes, your camera does indeed lie.

That link does not at all give the methodology or explanation of why a reference monitor with high speed camera is inaccurate because as far as I'm concerned, that is the visible difference between the displays which is what your eyes actually see in practice of both input lag and pixel response. I'm not using a lag free CRT as a reference monitor of 0ms either, my reference monitor is a TN panel with known 22ms input lag. The camera method shows what your eye balls are seeing so if the F8000 is trailing by 4 or 5 milliseconds by camera (basically eye) then that's the true difference in input lag.

Also, no where does Samsung or anyone imply that the firmware changes affect all TV ranges the same way. The F7100 has a dual core vs the quad core F8000. So the firmware versions/operating systems are inherently and intrinsically different. I still can't fathom how you're comparing two entirely different televisions and some how thinking the two are indicative of each other.
DRN94 is online now  
post #4429 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Member
 
doyoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I do not think you are understanding what I am saying. I tested an f7100 less than 2 weeks ago. Secondly, the camera method is inaccurate and shows as being twice as faster then it really is. For example, the w900a was measured to be around 9ms of input lag with the camera method, while being around 20ms with the LB input lag tester. So your 22ms with the camera method sounds about right because if you double it, you get close to the 46ms quoted by displaylag.com. In other words, the lag is still the same, it has not changed.

Here is a link to show how inaccurate the "high speed camera" method is: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm Look at the difference between the camera method and the LB input lag tester. So in essence, yes, your camera does indeed lie.

I hate to get into the middle of this since I feel that quibbling over 20 ms here or there for an input lag measurement doesn't make an appreciable difference to a gamer who uses a console connected to a TV. There are other factors that more seriously impact response time for a mutliplayer game. (See my post above.) However, the LB method doesn't always result in a measurement that's twice as slow as the camera method. The website you mention shows the result for the Samsung UN46F8000. For that TV, the camera measurement is actually 2 ms slower than the LB method. The measurement for this TV was 43 ms using the LB method.

I don't know which firmware was used in the measurement, but the website shows an overall date of October 4, 2013, for the database. You claim that Samsung would not issue a firmware update that would reduce the input lag on the F8000 series TVs without also doing the same for other models. This is just your speculation since you have no way of knowing this. A counter-argument would be that the Sony W900a is considered a direct competitor to the Samsung F8000, and it might be in Samsung's interest to continue to reduce the input lag to compete with the Sony. However, like you, I have no way of knowing this.
doyoid is offline  
post #4430 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
sideout99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Culver City, Ca.
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoid View Post


I hate to get into the middle of this since I feel that quibbling over 20 ms here or there for an input lag measurement doesn't make an appreciable difference to a gamer who uses a console connected to a TV. 

I'd like to see this whole "quibble" just go away  LOL

Also, as doyid states, seem to be a fair amount of conjecture going on to.

 

Peace,

 

Side

sideout99 is offline  
post #4431 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Member
 
arrow201's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi F8000 fans from Toronto,

Picked up a 60 incher a week ago, and loving it so far ...knock on wood !!!

My panel is a TH01, I'm not so deep into calib as a lot of you guys. Basically turned off the "effects", contrast and color were a little high,
...doing minor adjustments here and there as I go on ...great picture !

Works great with a Synology NAS, so far streams flawlessly over WiFi. Kind of a pain it doesn't do proper FF / RW with mkvs ...can swipe the remote pad
for some seconds, but limited.

Apps work fine, browser works great with the Logitech K400 keyboard ...wish all apps worked with the keyboard !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Pavelot View Post

A Few Q's, fellows:
- is it normal for over air hd antenna in Toronto , when pressing the GUIDE BUTTON on smart remote to take from 10 to 20seconds to display one page of tv broadcast programing??? ( It also during that time, cuts signal of current channel. Isnt this tv a 4core processor behemot? This is unacceptable an frankly annoying like hell considering 6yr old visio would take less than 5 sec)

Yes ! Remember this is not through software but via PSIP of each channel, when you press guide, each channel has to be scanned to pick up it's guide info. This is the same with my other TVs.
Notice when you first turn on your TV, hold down the pad that you will only see the guide for the viewed station. That's why it takes so long ...bummer ...an alternative maybe to save as
a fav in the browser, Zap2It ( http://www.zap2it.com/ ) or Titan TV ( http://www.titantv.com/ )
I have no plans to go back to cable, OTA gives a better picture than cable !!!

Also curious what is new in 1118 ?
arrow201 is offline  
post #4432 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
sideout99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Culver City, Ca.
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow201 View Post

Hi F8000 fans from Toronto,

Picked up a 60 incher a week ago, and loving it so far ...knock on wood !!!

My panel is a TH01, I'm not so deep into calib as a lot of you guys. Basically turned off the "effects", contrast and color were a little high,
...doing minor adjustments here and there as I go on ...great picture !

Works great with a Synology NAS, so far streams flawlessly over WiFi. Kind of a pain it doesn't do proper FF / RW with mkvs ...can swipe the remote pad
for some seconds, but limited.

Apps work fine, browser works great with the Logitech K400 keyboard ...wish all apps worked with the keyboard !
Yes ! Remember this is not through software but via PSIP of each channel, when you press guide, each channel has to be scanned to pick up it's guide info. This is the same with my other TVs.
 
I also run a Synology NAS.  Yeah, flawless.  As far as FF / RW, I dont like the smart pad remote.  Pad too sensitive.  Mine also came with a full remote but it is junk.  I bought this one, works great, pause, FF, RW
 
 
Also, for typing, like login/password, the keyboard works, no ?  Been awhile since I used.
sideout99 is offline  
post #4433 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Member
 
arrow201's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the link ...looks like a good remote

BTW, anyone able to load adobe flash player ? Going to the adobe website, says it's Linus O/S ...Android underneath ?
arrow201 is offline  
post #4434 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I just saw the movie "how to train your dragon" in 3d on blu and all I got to say is WOW. Just WOW!

The black was true black on the dragon and the scene movements of the dragons flying and fighting were just amazing!

The movie rocks and the tv handles it like a pro!

Wow!

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is offline  
post #4435 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I just saw the movie "how to train your dragon" in 3d on blu and all I got to say is WOW. Just WOW!

The black was true black on the dragon and the scene movements of the dragons flying and fighting were just amazing!

The movie rocks and the tv handles it like a pro!

Wow!

I feel like the Smart LED dimming is more aggressive since the 1118 update. I'm watching Heat and the night scenes have incredibly deep blacks while maintaining the bright areas. Very impressive to see. The color accuracy on the F8000 really makes these older films shine. Glad you're equally impressed by the F8000 as I am!
DRN94 is online now  
post #4436 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 07:50 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

I feel like the Smart LED dimming is more aggressive since the 1118 update. I'm watching Heat and the night scenes have incredibly deep blacks while maintaining the bright areas. Very impressive to see. The color accuracy on the F8000 really makes these older films shine. Glad you're equally impressed by the F8000 as I am!

Yes, I love the F8000. Money well spent! smile.gif

Now, if only they (Samsung) could get more apps in their app store. That is my only negative. Might have to get a roku 3 to get more apps. lol.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is offline  
post #4437 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
AGuy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

I feel like the Smart LED dimming is more aggressive since the 1118 update. I'm watching Heat and the night scenes have incredibly deep blacks while maintaining the bright areas. Very impressive to see. The color accuracy on the F8000 really makes these older films shine. Glad you're equally impressed by the F8000 as I am!

I should go update and see. I've noticed leakage with the lights off during a lot of dark films. Riddick was especially bad. It's perfectly fine with the lights on, though.
AGuy01 is offline  
post #4438 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Newbie
 
golferphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got my 65 in a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. The picture is superb using buzz's settings (thanks!). Since it arrived, I have basically had it directly connected to the STB (ATT UVerse) and blu ray player (LG) and now I am working on getting everything running through my Onkyo 717. Which is where I have run in to questions.

i have run 2 HDMI connections (1 each) from the STB and BR to the receiver and 1 output HDMI from the receiver to the TV. All good for sound and picture from cable and blu ray.
Trying to use the smart apps HBO go specifically I get the correct picture but the STB sound. I have an optical cable from the TV to the receiver, but still get the STB sound.

So, how should I be connecting so that I can get STB, BR, and smart apps sound thru the Onkyo? I have assigned the optical in to the STB on the receiver.

BTW I would like to continue using my Harmony One remote to control everything as my wife is REALLY not willing to learn a whole new remote scheme.
golferphil is offline  
post #4439 of 7492 Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Just felt like posting some pictures of flesh tones. The amount of detail on faces is exquisitely displayed on the F8000. And the skin tones are very convincing and just right without the orange/red sun burn effect on over saturated TVs.











DRN94 is online now  
post #4440 of 7492 Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
excellent pictures. You didn't remove the light from the samsung logo? I went to the menu and got rid of that light. smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off