Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmitchelluk View Post

Your not lucky !!!

I know mad.gif

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman View Post

I got the 55" F8000 on Wednesday, discovered banding on it last night, I'm sorting a replacement at the moment.

Is the banding all you noticed?
post #453 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Is the banding all you noticed?

I posted this before I found the banding, I though it was a keeper.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1745399-ue-f8000-owners-thread-part-1-a-35.html

What's the score with this screen mirroring gimmick, will it work with a Galaxy S2 or a Tab 2?

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
post #454 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Yea that's what I'm doing now but would like my Harmony to work with it. My thoughts are use the HDMI4 hex code from Remote Central - teach it to a learning remote that uses IR - then teach the Harmony.

Other option is to change my TV to a Samsung that has 4 HDMI inputs - then relearn all the "smart hub" stuff etc from the ES8000 remote I purchased on Amazon to use with the F8000.
Can you set up a "sequence" ? Have it automatically hit source enough times to get to hdmi 4...be warned though sequences are limited to 10 times.

I too have my harmony 650 remote setup to es8000 but I have it all setup to hdmi1 and I'm treating my receiver as a "switch" pretty much.

I have sequences setup to change cal day/night/movie all assigned to a button.
post #455 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Has anyone with an F8000 that also uses a Harmony Remote figured out how to get the TV to switch to HDMI4 using the Harmony? HDMI1-3 commands are fine and work.

I set my Harmony One up using a UN55ES8000 since Harmony didn't have the F8000 in the DB yet. Which was fine until I plugged my old A35 HD-DVD player into HDMI4 - I cannot use the Harmony to switch to that input as the ES only had 3 HDMI inputs not 4 like the F8000. I cannot learn from my F8000's touch remote either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe another Samsung model with 4 HDMI's so I can change my TV setting in my Harmony setup to access the HDMI4 command? Wonder if I can buy that supposed "regular" remote the Euro F8000's came with?

I'm stumped short of paying for a support call to Harmony.

Many thanks.
Either setup your Harmony by selecting the UN55D8000 instead of the ES8000 or set it up temporarily for use with the D8000. Use another remote that is capable of learning the command for HDMI 4 and then learn the Harmony this command from that remote after you returned it's setting to the ES8000. That's the way I did it.
post #456 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Thanks adgrimes and RedGrant for the replies! Gonna try the D8000 thing - then learn the SmartHub stuff from my ES8000 remote. Thank you both again!

~Bill
post #457 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
Can anyone tell what was added to the owners manual update from 4-11-13? The size is just a little bigger than the one from 3-26-13. I've looked through it twice, but could not see any changes.
post #458 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 PM

To do smart hub, I set mine up as an "activity" as I had to change source to my TOS in(receiver) as it was TOSlink out on the actual TV. I "learned" the smarthub button by hitting rainbow button on the actual touch remote, training harmony.

Harmony needs to get this setup already!
Quote:

I posted this before I found the banding, I though it was a keeper.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1745399-ue-f8000-owners-thread-part-1-a-35.html
Isn't that the UK forums...different hardware for European TV's correct? Obviously if you find banding, try an exchange don't just settle.
post #459 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

To do smart hub, I set mine up as an "activity" as I had to change source to my TOS in(receiver) as it was TOSlink out on the actual TV. I "learned" the smarthub button by hitting rainbow button on the actual touch remote, training harmony.

Great minds must think alike! I set up Smart Hub as an activity as well - however - something with ARC was causing my Onkyo 609 to keep turning itself back on between 5-15 minutes after turning everything off - so I just disabled ARC in my Onkyo and ran a toslink from the TV audio out to the Onkyo and set up the Harmony to switch to the correct input for toslink when I want to use Smart Hub.

~Bill
post #460 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Great minds must think alike! I set up Smart Hub as an activity as well....

When I want to browse my DLNA, right now I hit my smart hub activity, then just hit source button to select the DLNA.

I just tried something new though, I set up a custom sequence to open my DLNA. Basically I set it up as a standard actvtivity for it to power on tv/reciever. Set the TV to TV source, set the source on reciever. Then I added a custom activity after(NOT limited to 10 commands) to change source the correct amount of times to goto my DLNA. cool.gif

So you COULD set up a custom activity to change settings like cinema black or game mode(shoot I'm going to have game mode become enabled whenever I hit "play xbox")
post #461 of 7879 Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 99
Quote:

Isn't that the UK forums...different hardware for European TV's correct? Obviously if you find banding, try an exchange don't just settle.

Do we know if the European sets have different panels than the US?
post #462 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Do we know if the European sets have different panels than the US?
Not for panels no, you should hit up a UK member on other forums find out what panel was used. What did uk version have for es.
post #463 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 10
I noticed Amazon now sells the un65f7100 panel. I may be late to the party but first time seeing a 65" F series? Amazon does say its out of stock. Interesting pricing as its less than the 65" ES8000.
post #464 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I qualify for a free Best Buy Geek Squad free calibration. They neglected to let me know I qualified for one. Its free and if I don't like it, I can just ensure they don't really tinker with service menu and use the settings available in standard menu....therefore making it easier to get back to settings similiar to Buzz's.

I had Geek Squad calibrate my ES8000 a couple of weeks ago.

They do not go into the service menu - just the user menu that you have access to. For a start, they don't really have time for much else. My calibration took less than an hour and I was aware ahead of time it would be a bit quick and dirty.

That said, the agent was fairly good and it was pretty clear the difference between out of the box and his calibrated settings. I had only configured Standard myself following an amateur (but very thorough) calibration setting list from this site and the agent configured my Movie mode on all inputs which was just factory default.

I got a before and after report which showed (in the gamut at least), how his settings had got the colors closer to where they were supposed to be.

Anyway, don't expect the comprehensive calibrations that the pros on here offer but it certainly doesn't do any harm and is good for a freebie.
post #465 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimpete View Post

I had Geek Squad calibrate my ES8000 a couple of weeks ago.

They do not go into the service menu - just the user menu that you have access to. For a start, they don't really have time for much else. My calibration took less than an hour and I was aware ahead of time it would be a bit quick and dirty.

That said, the agent was fairly good and it was pretty clear the difference between out of the box and his calibrated settings. I had only configured Standard myself following an amateur (but very thorough) calibration setting list from this site and the agent configured my Movie mode on all inputs which was just factory default.

I got a before and after report which showed (in the gamut at least), how his settings had got the colors closer to where they were supposed to be.

Anyway, don't expect the comprehensive calibrations that the pros on here offer but it certainly doesn't do any harm and is good for a freebie.

So they come to do a calibration and they don't even unlock the cal day/night modes for you? Like I said before, I'd be scared letting those guys in the service menu anyways, but if I'm going to bother with a calibration, I want those modes unlocked. I'm still trying to figure out why those additional modes are hidden in the first place. Why can't they just make them available as additional custom modes right out of the box? They're already there, so why bury them in the service menu? What harm could possibly come from people having 2 extra user modes? What, do they think that would cause "confusion"? How about they just tell us in the manual they include 2 extra custom modes for day and night custom settings?

Glad to hear that you're happy with what they did for you though. At least they didn't screw anything up.
post #466 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 AM

Has anyone else experienced strange things with the cinema black? especially set on high, brightness pops on the picture and intermitent vertical lines appearing in the bars plus strange light artifacts appearing in the bars?

post #467 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

On the US sets, we don't have low, med and High - we only have on and off for Cinema Black. I have read elsewhere that in the European models, med and high do really weird things with the brightness fluctuating constantly. this is what I worry about with the US version - since we have only on and off, I wonder how on behaves for us? Even pro reviews said the EU models do strange things with Cinema Black turned on.
post #468 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Just went back to best buy to ask about calibration and a new price match as greystone appliances dropped their prices again--I saved another $64 dollars! I think they did it bc I am a premier member. $2269 now before tax.
post #469 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:

On the US sets, we don't have low, med and High - we only have on and off for Cinema Black. I have read elsewhere that in the European models, med and high do really weird things with the brightness fluctuating constantly. this is what I worry about with the US version - since we have only on and off, I wonder how on behaves for us? Even pro reviews said the EU models do strange things with Cinema Black turned on.

Ok thanks. I've never seen anything like it to be honest, set to high there's aggressive brightness pops, all hell breaking loose within the black bars (lines, artifacts etc) and a sort of hazy clouding intermittently appearing on the picture near to the black bars. It also brightens the whole picture maybe 2 clicks on the brightness button. I'm not at all impressed with this feature.

post #470 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Just played 2 hours on game mode and PC mode if Bioshock Infinite on Xbox 360. I'm not impressed with how the game plays but I feel like its the way game was made--it reacts quickly(might even be instantly..it's close if not in game mode). It's easily playable, what I notice is when first scrolling it would go right away but when I stopped holding joystick all the way over, it would keep going a little bit.

I wonder if I'm just not overly picky with lag. When I would hit change source, edit name, named it PC(hdmi 1)...the majority of my color options were still available unlike what Eagle noticed in store. Motion lighting and Film mode was only 2 settings---is it possible I wasn't putting pc mode on?

When I play BF3 I can't tell a difference from my old tv, but I've only played Bioshock on the F8000. I'll be returning it tonight(redbox game).
post #471 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How do you get to PC mode?

XBOX: xxx GR1MM xxx
PS3: GR1MM
post #472 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Entering PC Mode:
Source
Move Up/Right and select Tools
Drop Down List of Names Appears
Select PC

Note: This mode/dropdown list is ONLY accessible from HDMI's that weren't previously assigned a Samsung Product or your STB.
post #473 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just played 2 hours on game mode and PC mode if Bioshock Infinite on Xbox 360. I'm not impressed with how the game plays but I feel like its the way game was made--it reacts quickly(might even be instantly..it's close if not in game mode). It's easily playable, what I notice is when first scrolling it would go right away but when I stopped holding joystick all the way over, it would keep going a little bit.

I wonder if I'm just not overly picky with lag. When I would hit change source, edit name, named it PC(hdmi 1)...the majority of my color options were still available unlike what Eagle noticed in store. Motion lighting and Film mode was only 2 settings---is it possible I wasn't putting pc mode on?

When I play BF3 I can't tell a difference from my old tv, but I've only played Bioshock on the F8000. I'll be returning it tonight(redbox game).

When I went into PC Mode in the store, I took a note of what was disabled - most all settings were greyed out, just as I listed previously. This was consistent with PC mode from last year.

The only options available in PC mode were:

- backlight
- brightness
- contrast
- color temp
- gamma
- white balance

Color and Tint were greyed out, as were all other options, immediately upon naming HDMI source to PC. This means I couldn't even adjust basic color saturation with the color control.

It's likely you didn't have it in PC mode. I made that mistake too at first, when I was trying to figure out how to engage it. You can go in and edit the source name to anything you want, by manually entering a name, so you could call it, say, "PC", but that is not putting it into PC mode. I don't know that I can remember how I got to that menu, because I was fumbling with it for a while, but if I remember correctly, I hit source, which popped up a drop-down menu from the top of the panel, then I swiped my finger in a downward motion on the touch remote, which brought up some new options - one of those options allowed me to rename the source - but from a drop-down list - and one of the names on the list was "PC". This is what you select to get it into PC mode. If you named it by manually entering "PC" on the screen keyboard, then it isn't in PC mode. It must be selected from that drop-down list. I may be missing a step in there somewhere in terms of what I hit first, but I believe that's basically what I did to get it into PC mode.
post #474 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmitchelluk View Post

Your not lucky !!!

BANDING on a 55" ????? God help us, my expectations for the 75" are starting to dwindle.
post #475 of 7879 Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Smaller panels can certainly get banding too. My 46" ES7500 last year had banding, but it was what I would consider pretty mild compared to the other issues it had.
post #476 of 7879 Old 04-14-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:

When I went into PC Mode in the store, I took a note of what was disabled - most all settings were greyed out, just as I listed previously. This was consistent with PC mode from last year.

The only options available in PC mode were:

- backlight
- brightness
- contrast
- color temp
- gamma
- white balance

Color and Tint were greyed out, as were all other options, immediately upon naming HDMI source to PC. This means I couldn't even adjust basic color saturation with the color control.

It's likely you didn't have it in PC mode. I made that mistake too at first, when I was trying to figure out how to engage it. You can go in and edit the source name to anything you want, by manually entering a name, so you could call it, say, "PC", but that is not putting it into PC mode. I don't know that I can remember how I got to that menu, because I was fumbling with it for a while, but if I remember correctly, I hit source, which popped up a drop-down menu from the top of the panel, then I swiped my finger in a downward motion on the touch remote, which brought up some new options - one of those options allowed me to rename the source - but from a drop-down list - and one of the names on the list was "PC". This is what you select to get it into PC mode. If you named it by manually entering "PC" on the screen keyboard, then it isn't in PC mode. It must be selected from that drop-down list. I may be missing a step in there somewhere in terms of what I hit first, but I believe that's basically what I did to get it into PC mode.

Took this from manual makes it look like it has to be hdmi 2? Also maybe menu you refer to is the remote setup option?

Also I tried to skype tonight....apparently skype will not goto external speakers? I can get sound only if I turn on TV speakers before turning on skype. I'm running a digital out(toslink) to my receiver from tv. Every other app so far has worked fine.
post #477 of 7879 Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I know mad.gif

I am waiting to see what the 60" F8000 will bring. Right now, I am starting to lean away from the F8000 and looking more at the Plasma 60"F8500. Magnolia had all sizes of the F8500 on display and my mouth hit the floor! I have never seen such a crisp, sharp, detailed, and blacks that would make you proud picture! There was a VT50 right beside it and the picture was much sharper on the F8500. Take that statement for what it is worth, but I put the VT on THX Cinema and the F8500 on Movie Mode and made some adjustments, with the help from a Magnolia guy, and I was floored when a scene from Game of Thrones was showing. It was Almost breathtaking. I did not get that when I spent 3 hours looking at the F8000. I will see how the 60"F8000 looks before I make my final decision. Hopefully by that time, the ZT will be out and then I will make my decision.
post #478 of 7879 Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Took this from manual makes it look like it has to be hdmi 2? Also maybe menu you refer to is the remote setup option?

Also I tried to skype tonight....apparently skype will not goto external speakers? I can get sound only if I turn on TV speakers before turning on skype. I'm running a digital out(toslink) to my receiver from tv. Every other app so far has worked fine.

They only mentioned HDMI 2 as an example. You can do the same thing with any of the HDMI ports:

"For example, to switch to a game console connected to the second HDMI connector..."

I used the tools menu as they described above to change to PC mode.
post #479 of 7879 Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

I am waiting to see what the 60" F8000 will bring. Right now, I am starting to lean away from the F8000 and looking more at the Plasma 60"F8500. Magnolia had all sizes of the F8500 on display and my mouth hit the floor! I have never seen such a crisp, sharp, detailed, and blacks that would make you proud picture! There was a VT50 right beside it and the picture was much sharper on the F8500. Take that statement for what it is worth, but I put the VT on THX Cinema and the F8500 on Movie Mode and made some adjustments, with the help from a Magnolia guy, and I was floored when a scene from Game of Thrones was showing. It was Almost breathtaking. I did not get that when I spent 3 hours looking at the F8000. I will see how the 60"F8000 looks before I make my final decision. Hopefully by that time, the ZT will be out and then I will make my decision.

Just remember that plasma is not the miracle technology some would have you believe. I have tried plasmas from both Samsung and Panasonic, and they have their own issues. Just like LED, they can look stunning in the store in the Magnolia room, and they sure can look gorgeous in your home too, but they are not without issues. Brightness fluctuations, ABL, heat, buzzing, image retention, line bleed - all of those things can be an issue with plasma. Just be sure you know the drawbacks of each format. Both technologies have their strengths and weaknesses. Plasma loves to brag about blacks but would rather not mention how it handles full-screen bright images.
post #480 of 7879 Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Has anyone else experienced strange things with the cinema black? especially set on high, brightness pops on the picture...

Yes. I have the 55 and once or twice in the course of a movie, the whole screen very briefly gets brighter. So I turned it off. It really doesn't do very much with my Movie settings (which are far from factory.)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page