Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum
First ... 161  162  163 164  165  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread
aizen79's Avatar aizen79 10:15 AM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

Can you elaborate some more.. Not familiar with ATI settings. smile.gif
Sorry...meant that my laptop has ATI card which is run by CCC(ATI software). in the settings of this software theres an option to change the HDTV settings where u choose the maximum supported resolution which, in my case is limited by the AV receiver to 1920by1080p @ 50hz(not 60hz). By default, the hdmi tries to connect at a resolution of 1920by1080p@60hz to the tv but since my av receiver isnt able to support this, no signal is sent to the tv.......my thinking anyway

TD-4's Avatar TD-4 10:21 AM 02-08-2014
My panel is a TS01 which I thought would be ok based off of previous posts, but I guess no panel version is safe.
rocknrobn26's Avatar rocknrobn26 11:04 AM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizen79 View Post

Hi guys sorted it out. Its related to the ATI settings. cheers guys
Good! I just tried my iPad and it worked fine.
rick_q's Avatar rick_q 11:26 AM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD-4 View Post

My panel is a TS01 which I thought would be ok based off of previous posts, but I guess no panel version is safe.

how can you tell what kind of panel you have?
seansingh7326's Avatar seansingh7326 11:27 AM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

I'm watching my Friend's full array LN55A950 again and it still strikes me that despite his TV being 5 years old it still appears to have a higher contrast ratio than the F8000. Blacks are just stupid deep no matter what the program and where on the screen. Text on black backgrounds give a huge sense of pop that I just don't seem to get on my F8000. If I upgrade again before OLED then it'll be to another LED but one with a much much lower black level. I'm so frustrated with the contrast ratio!

Can anyone please give me a little bit of consolation? confused.gif

seansingh7326's Avatar seansingh7326 11:28 AM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

try using dynamic contrast on high
sideout99's Avatar sideout99 11:35 AM 02-08-2014
Quote:

For those interested, you can see my "game room / home theater room" --> http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2333763/gameroom-hometheater/

note: when I watch TV, the room is dark. No lights are on. I have the sofa reclined. smile.gif

TV is not on during the daytime. Mostly used in the evening for either watching network channels or watching blu ray movie or playing PS4 game.

I currently play "Lego Super Heroes" game with the kids. It is a kid game, but I kid you not, it is a tough hard game.. We are still trying to figure things out. Highly recommended! smile.gif

My panel is US02.

Nice game room.  What night is poker night ?  I'm coming over.  Personally, TV looks little high to me, I like mine at eye level.  But I guess it helps with the sofa reclined. 

HPQ's Avatar HPQ 12:00 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout99 View Post

Nice game room.  What night is poker night ?  I'm coming over.  Personally, TV looks little high to me, I like mine at eye level.  But I guess it helps with the sofa reclined. 

Thanks. I only watch TV with the sofa reclined. I need my legs extended to watch a long movie. Much more comfortable that way..

The TV is actually positioned correctly. I think the picture doesn't really capture the depth distance properly since I took it from a sitting down position on the sofa. If it is a little bit lower then it will interfere with the poker table..

As for poker, yeah, with the small kids around, we haven't had a poker night in a while.. Kids will do that! lol..

smile.gif

Glad you liked my setup..
sideout99's Avatar sideout99 12:00 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

i was curious so i played with the different settings. I like movie and I like natural but standard and dynamic was just too bright..

Interesting find.. when I move to natural, I see more grain in the background while in movie mode no grain is seen at all. I would prefer to not see the grain.

For me, from less light to most light it was movie - natural - standard - dynamic.. (followed exactly how the menu had it)..

and yes, I have backlight at 3. I double checked it. smile.gif

Also the room is dark. No lights on.

Ah, you edited your post, the original "i was curious so i played with the different settings. I like movie and I like natural but standard and dynamic was just too bright..

hmm, i have to investigate natural more now."  I have actually thought Natural showed some promise perhaps worth investigating more.  And yes, grain is not good.

HPQ's Avatar HPQ 12:02 PM 02-08-2014
yeah, no matter what when i change to natural, I get grain.. It is very strong. I can't help but notice it. With movie mode, no grain. nothing!

Standard while it does show contrast better it is just too bright for my eyes. One plus, there is no grain thou!

Dynamic - who ever puts this setting? not even sure why it is an option.. Just terrible. . It is just way out there. lol.
HPQ's Avatar HPQ 12:04 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post

how can you tell what kind of panel you have?

It is on the box. For me, it is next to the serial number details on the box. Also, if you have it on a stand, you can look at the back of the tv. It should be there as well.

Mine is US02.
sideout99's Avatar sideout99 12:05 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

Dynamic - who ever puts this setting. It is just way out there. lol.

Might as well stare into the sun  LOL

HPQ's Avatar HPQ 12:05 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

Might as well stare into the sun  LOL

I agree. The worst setting ever! Man, you have to be blind to use that setting. Everything is terrible!
HPQ's Avatar HPQ 12:09 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD-4 View Post

it is like playing the lottery with edgelit tv's unfortunately.
sideout99's Avatar sideout99 12:11 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

it is like playing the lottery with edgelit tv's unfortunately.

I feel lucky, like won the lottery.  I love my panel  :D

rick_q's Avatar rick_q 12:31 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

It is on the box. For me, it is next to the serial number details on the box. Also, if you have it on a stand, you can look at the back of the tv. It should be there as well.

Mine is US02.

Thanks for the info! Mine is a TS01.

Is there a thread I can be directed to find out more about this and other panels?
HPQ's Avatar HPQ 12:35 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post

Thanks for the info! Mine is a TS01.

Is there a thread I can be directed to find out more about this and other panels?

This thread and the Samsung 2013 line thread would be the best bet.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450305/samsung-f8000-2013-flagship-models
DRN94's Avatar DRN94 01:24 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

try using dynamic contrast on high

That's the worst setting ever. It doesn't deepen the blacks or increase the whites, just messes with the picture in between to kill color accuracy and shadow detail. It looks awful on anything except off.
stsva's Avatar stsva 02:16 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

yeah, no matter what when i change to natural, I get grain.. It is very strong. I can't help but notice it. With movie mode, no grain.

I checked out Natural mode and it defaults to a sharpness setting of 50, which is very high. The grain you're seeing is probably from excessively high sharpening; drop the sharpening setting below 10 and that should fix the grain.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
sideout99's Avatar sideout99 03:02 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

That's the worst setting ever. It doesn't deepen the blacks or increase the whites, just messes with the picture in between to kill color accuracy and shadow detail. It looks awful on anything except off.

That's funny.  True, but funny how you say it  :p

HPQ's Avatar HPQ 03:33 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrobn26 View Post

Good! I just tried my iPad and it worked fine.

Just curious. What did you do on the iPad for the tv?
sideout99's Avatar sideout99 03:40 PM 02-08-2014

Like your new avatar, HPQ

HPQ's Avatar HPQ 03:47 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsva View Post

I checked out Natural mode and it defaults to a sharpness setting of 50, which is very high. The grain you're seeing is probably from excessively high sharpening; drop the sharpening setting below 10 and that should fix the grain.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I will check it out this evening. Thanks!
rocknrobn26's Avatar rocknrobn26 03:47 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

Just curious. What did you do on the iPad for the tv?
Netflix for the input test. I don't really need it now as the 8000/Smart Features sorta fill in the gaps I used to have. But w/ photos the iPad chip might be faster when displaying hi rez images.
HPQ's Avatar HPQ 03:50 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrobn26 View Post

Netflix for the input test. I don't really need it now as the 8000/Smart Features sorta fill in the gaps I used to have. But w/ photos the iPad chip might be faster when displaying hi rez images.

Thanks for the update.
HPQ's Avatar HPQ 03:53 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

I "found" it on the net many years ago. I can't even remember from where. It looked cool to me so thought it would be a cool avatar. smile.gif
sideout99's Avatar sideout99 03:53 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

Uh

Uh

Thanks for the update.

Uh Uh, ur stuttering  LOL  On my jail broken iPad, Movie Box is a cool app.  Recent movies and to stream them to the TV, via Apple TV.

HPQ's Avatar HPQ 03:55 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

Uh Uh, ur stuttering  LOL  On my jail broken iPad, Movie Box is a cool app.  Recent movies and to stream them to the TV, via Apple TV.

I am at the park and typing on the iPhone. Very hard to do and the thing auto corrects me . I try to catch it but that time I missed it till after it got posted.
FltTester's Avatar FltTester 07:20 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:

I'm watching my Friend's full array LN55A950 again and it still strikes me that despite his TV being 5 years old it still appears to have a higher contrast ratio than the F8000. Blacks are just stupid deep no matter what the program and where on the screen. Text on black backgrounds give a huge sense of pop that I just don't seem to get on my F8000. If I upgrade again before OLED then it'll be to another LED but one with a much much lower black level. I'm so frustrated with the contrast ratio!
Can anyone please give me a little bit of consolation? confused.gif

The consolation is the thin minimalist design. smile.gif A full array LED with dimming is hard to beat. Just try not to be too picky until OLED comes of age...hopefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

Movie mode Warm2:

"Traditional" calibration:
Contrast: 95
RGB gain setting: 14 , 25 , 18
Backlight: 9
Minimum black, max white, contrast ratio: 0.053 , 149, 2811

My new calibration:
Contrast: 100
RGB gain setting: 35 , 44, 36
Backlight: 7
Minimum black, max white, contrast ratio: 0.043 , 152, 3549
Slight onset of clipping at 100% white, but dE was 3.5CIE94, which is at the borderline of visibility.

I don't know, Turboman, a black level of .043 ft-L isn't that good. Is 3549:1 with Smart LED turned off?
Quote:

Yours ain't bad either...Bonham!
DRN94's Avatar DRN94 07:51 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

The consolation is the thin minimalist design. smile.gif A full array LED with dimming is hard to beat. Just try not to be too picky until OLED comes of age...hopefully.

I don't know, Turboman, a black level of .043 ft-L isn't that good. Is 3549:1 with Smart LED turned off?

Try the black level on higher light outputs. Not very good even though it's one of the best LED's of 2013! My friend's LN55A950 is at max backlight and yet his black level is still superbly deep all over the screen!

I get frustrated watching my F8000 at night because of the black level response is very noticeable. I've settled on backlight 5 for night time viewing. I wish the peak whites were much higher but kept the same black level.
Tags: Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
First ... 161  162  163 164  165  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop