Forum Jump: 

post #4951 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

Off axis viewing angle picture quality is less important for me. I sit in the center. Wife on the left, dog on the right. Both wife and dog don't complain about viewing angle picture quality.

Good one, Turboman! This particular Monday, I needed that laugh. Personally, I don't think my wife would complain about pq unless faces were green or purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I came from a Mitsubishi 55 inch rear projection TV that lasted 15 years! So, I am not in a hurry. I can wait it out! smile.gif

CRT RPTV? I remember those days well, when HD programming was as scarce as 4k is today. And Mitsubishi was state-of-the-art back then, so I'm sure that behemoth black box cost you a pretty penny. I waited until '03 to buy a Hitachi RPTV (now making mostly power tools?!?!). Shadow detail wasn't great, but I couldn't complain about the black level. Makes me wonder how far we've really come...except for size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Check out this picture of a 55" LG OLED curved screen. That obnoxious wavy stuff in the reflection is actually dead straight vertical blinds behind me when I took the photo. Ugly and distracting.

That is just reflections, but still it reinforces my feeling that the curved marketing hype will go the way, as it appears 3D is going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I've always been a plasma guy as evidenced by my old school 50" 720P Panny 8uk industrial model. Now that the upgrade bug has bitten me I am realizing that i can upsize to the 55" F8000 in the exact same footprint due to the slim bezel. I went and looked at one in a box store but was extremely sensitive both to the soap opera effect and the way fast motion was displayed on the screen (sports in particular). I realize that it may not be fair to use box store settings as the baseline for my decision so I guess the question is can these two things be tuned out to be comparable to my 10yr old plasma?
post #4953 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

So I've always been a plasma guy as evidenced by my old school 50" 720P Panny 8uk industrial model. Now that the upgrade bug has bitten me I am realizing that i can upsize to the 55" F8000 in the exact same footprint dur to the slim bezel. I went and looked at one in a box store but was extremely sensitive both to the soap opera effect and the way fast motion was displayed on the screen (sports in particular). I realize that it may not be fair to use box store settings as the baseline for my decision so I guess the question is can these two things be tuned out to be comparable to my 10yr old plasm ?

Yes.  I too was a plasma guy.  I went from a 58" Panny plasma to the 65F8000.  And same, foot print from the 58" to the 65" is the same due to the thick bezel of the plasma vs the line bezel of the 65F8000, more screen.  I like the PQ on my F8000 better than my 5 -6 y/o plasma.

post #4954 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout99 View Post

Yes.  I too was a plasma guy.  I went from a 58" Panny plasma to the 65F8000.  And same, foot print from the 58" to the 65" is the same due to the thick bezel of the plasma vs the line bezel of the 65F8000, more screen.  I like the PQ on my F8000 better than my 5 -6 y/o plasma.

I am sooooooo on the fence with this. I see that you like the PQ better, but how are the black levels? Do you see any blooming? I would get an F8000 or something similar but I would HATE myself if what I got was cloudy.
post #4955 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 PM

Liked: 10
Does anybody else have their 60f8000 hooked up with a Marantz nr 1604 ? I need help with ARC. For Over air antenna TV viewing, netfliks and all apps, the audio does NOT get returned as it should. I cant control volume with tv smart remote, only with marantz remote.

Then, only with my ps3 does the system shutdown partially work.

How do I get the reciever to auto switch off when I turn off the tv? So far, the tv remote only shuts off the ps3.

I thought that communication between two high end devices would be imaculate and flawless, let alone all encompassing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ps I have a Energy Take 5.1 hooked up, but wondering about the KEF T100. It looks like the perfect extreemly thin 5.1 speaker system to "physicaly" compliment our sexy TV. anybody heard them? Where to buy in Toronto?
Thanks
post #4956 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07bmw328 View Post

Hoping someone can help me out here. I just purchased the 55" model in Canada as my panny plasma finally bit the bullet.
I have a Maranz SR6008 home theatre receiver and xbox360, ps3, ps4, apple tv and shaw cable box all hooked into the receiver via HDMI. I have an HDMI out going into the TV slot marked HDMI 3 ARC.
My issue is this: when i try to watch the apple TV i get no sound at all and the picture keeps cutting on/off.
Has anyone had this problem? this TV is driving me nuts (it's been a bad month electronics wise: tv, printer, dishwasher, washer and dryer al toasted themselves within a week of each other eek.gif).
I'm in the midst of updating the firmware on the TV but it's taking longer than an hour.
Any help would be much appreciated.
!

Same kind of problem here. The only way I got sound from tv antenna through Marantz nr 1604 was with optical. Which sucks because isnt that what bloddy ARC IS for? Audio return as well as Full system Power (on/off) control of all devices and Auto reciever switch to a device that is powered on.

NONE which work yet ! Very frustrating. Any help for us greatly appreciated.
post #4957 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I am sooooooo on the fence with this. I see that you like the PQ better, but how are the black levels? Do you see any blooming? I would get an F8000 or something similar but I would HATE myself if what I got was cloudy.

I've had my 60F8000 for just under 72 hours now and thrown some good content @ it (the last Harry Potter, Prometheus, The Dark Knight, Inception, etc.) and it's more then impressed with all of the above BDs. No clouding, blooming, etc. I'm coming a 60PZ950 plasma. It's been stellar with my DirecTV and Xbox One as well. All in all it's a spectacular display. I don't see how anyone could have regrets about it.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #4958 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I've had my 60F8000 for just under 72 hours now and thrown some good content @ it (the last Harry Potter, Prometheus, The Dark Knight, Inception, etc.) and it's more then impressed with all of the above BDs. No clouding, blooming, etc. I'm coming a 60PZ950 plasma. It's been stellar with my DirecTV and Xbox One as well. All in all it's a spectacular display. I don't see how anyone could have regrets about it.

How do the black levels and shadow detail compare to your 60PZ950 plasma?

-fafrd
post #4959 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 PM

Why is the option: Recever not available from TV Speaker Settings, in Audio? How to get it to work/turn the damn thing on? Could this be the cause of non functioning ARC?

I can only use external or tv speakers. With an optical cable is the only way I got audio from tv to reach Marantz 1604 receiver.

I also noticed quite a few options in Picture and Audio and in all the TV menus that are NOT AVAILABLE. why is this?
And then when connected to PS3, more options become unavailable.

Whats going on? Its so frustrating to want to use a feature, for example, like "Expert Pattern" under Picture, while watching tv and it not being available! seriously, WTF SAMSUNG!
post #4960 of 7872 Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Anyone who is familiar with calibrating, I need help adjusting my white balance by eye.

I'm using the built in Expert Pattern 1. This white balance is incorporating the contrast ratio increase trick mentioned a few pages ago. It's much cooler than what I was using before but the linearity in the grey is uncanny. It's just pure, unadulterated grey. It looks great when watching content although a bit cooler than what I'm used to. How warm should the grey scale be? Should there be a noticeable reddish hue to the grey or should it just be plain old grey with no warm/cool tone to it? I'm using color tone Warm2 by the way.
post #4961 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 AM

Liked: 14
OK, as of a few days ago (the 7th it seems), I started getting an annoying notification pop up randomly on my screen about my "Sugarsync account" expiring. I'm given the option to view details or hit "OK". Viewing details shows me that some policy change happened that resulted in whatever this free account was being turned into a pay account, or something like that.

1) I do not have a "SugarSync" account... don't even know what it is, nor do I care.
2) Clicking "OK" or reading the details doesn't matter... the notification KEEPS POPPING UP! Super annoying.
3) Samsung's useless web chat had me reset my TV and now I have other problems! But this one didn't go away

since doing the reset, now I have these issues:

1) Sometimes I can't shut off my TV with the remote! The weird thing is that if I'm using the smart touch remote, and if it won't shut off the TV, the standard one will. But if I switch to using that one, then it won't turn off the TV but the smart touch one will. Sometimes neither will. I've also had a couple times where I couldn't turn anything back on without unplugging the TV!

2) I used to hit the Smart Hub button and it would go to my apps page. Now it goes to the "What's on" page. I don't have regular TV (everything is on Plex server) so I really don't want this and I don't know how to get it to go back to how it was before.

With all these problems, Samsung's (still useless) support chat suggested I update the firmware but when I told them I have 1117 they told me the latest is 1116 and that "unsupported firmware is surely causing your problems". Huh? I got this firmware the normal way.. through the update firmware menu. Which, by the way, now shows 1118 being available but it refuses to D/L it (after > 2 hours it still shows 0%)

AARRGGGH.

Everything was working beautifully up until that stupid SugarSync notification.
post #4962 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I was curious about what SugarSync was .. looks like it is some cloud sharing app similar to dropbox. Maybe you can delete this app from your samsung app store on the tv. Give that a try

I only use amazon prime app so can't comment much on this SugarSync.

I do have antenna and when I click on the smart hub button, it takes me to the what's on page which shows different tv shows on various channels.

Are you using Wi-Fi or you have a cat5/6 cable going directly to the TV? I have a cable going directly so my downloads are very fast.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #4963 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post

OK, as of a few days ago (the 7th it seems), I started getting an annoying notification pop up randomly on my screen about my "Sugarsync account" expiring. I'm given the option to view details or hit "OK". Viewing details shows me that some policy change happened that resulted in whatever this free account was being turned into a pay account, or something like that.

1) I do not have a "SugarSync" account... don't even know what it is, nor do I care.
2) Clicking "OK" or reading the details doesn't matter... the notification KEEPS POPPING UP! Super annoying.
3) Samsung's useless web chat had me reset my TV and now I have other problems! But this one didn't go away

since doing the reset, now I have these issues:

1) Sometimes I can't shut off my TV with the remote! The weird thing is that if I'm using the smart touch remote, and if it won't shut off the TV, the standard one will. But if I switch to using that one, then it won't turn off the TV but the smart touch one will. Sometimes neither will. I've also had a couple times where I couldn't turn anything back on without unplugging the TV!

2) I used to hit the Smart Hub button and it would go to my apps page. Now it goes to the "What's on" page. I don't have regular TV (everything is on Plex server) so I really don't want this and I don't know how to get it to go back to how it was before.

With all these problems, Samsung's (still useless) support chat suggested I update the firmware but when I told them I have 1117 they told me the latest is 1116 and that "unsupported firmware is surely causing your problems". Huh? I got this firmware the normal way.. through the update firmware menu. Which, by the way, now shows 1118 being available but it refuses to D/L it (after > 2 hours it still shows 0%)

AARRGGGH.

Everything was working beautifully up until that stupid SugarSync notification.

It did pop once this morning on my set an then went away. I am using 1118.
post #4964 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 AM

Liked: 21
So has anybody have Sony W850a and returned it for this set or vice versa. Just need honest feedback between the Samsung F8000 and Sony W850A in terms of picture quality, colors and blacks for those people who tried out both of these sets.
post #4965 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I was curious about what SugarSync was .. looks like it is some cloud sharing app similar to dropbox. Maybe you can delete this app from your samsung app store on the tv. Give that a try

I only use amazon prime app so can't comment much on this SugarSync.

I do have antenna and when I click on the smart hub button, it takes me to the what's on page which shows different tv shows on various channels.

Are you using Wi-Fi or you have a cat5/6 cable going directly to the TV? I have a cable going directly so my downloads are very fast.

I tried removing it as a Samsung App... that's the first thing I went to do. But its not listed in the Apps page at all! If its not there, I can't remove it. That's why I don't get where this notification is coming from.

Download speeds aren't my problem. Apps download fast, etc. and I can stream 1080p 3D no problem. I left the update on overnight and when I got up just now, my TV was off and I figured it finished but going to the F/W menu shows I still have 1117. BUT, I tried the update again and this time it just took 6 minutes. So it must have been a server issue.

Anyway, I've now done another factory reset with 1118 and I'm going through setup. Hopefully my problems are behind me.
post #4966 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmbond View Post

I'm looking at purchasing an UN65F8000. This thread is very long, so I'm hoping someone who's followed it can give me the thumbnail sketch on screen uniformity, "flash lighting", edge light bleeding etc. S&V review says this model was a big step forward in alleviating these issues... FWIW, I've owned a Sammy 6500 edge lit for a couple years. The slight "cloudiness" is somewhat tolerable, but the flash lighting is something I won't live with any more in my new HDTV. Has the local dimming feature made this tolerable? Is there another model (or manufacturer) someone wants to suggest that doesn't have these issues? TIA.

Anyone? (I'm trying to decide between the 65F8000 and the Sony KDL65W850A with regard to screen uniformity)
post #4967 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboy1 View Post

So has anybody have Sony W850a and returned it for this set or vice versa. Just need honest feedback between the Samsung F8000 and Sony W850A in terms of picture quality, colors and blacks for those people who tried out both of these sets.

I had the w850a but returned it because the picture was fuzzy to me. Not sure if your having that issue. Also, the colors just did not look right and I tried every single setting. I get my f8000 tomorrow and will update.
post #4968 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

How do the black levels and shadow detail compare to your 60PZ950 plasma?

-fafrd

Much, much better. The PZ950 doesn't hold a candle to the F8000.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

post #4969 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm looking at purchasing an UN65F8000. This thread is very long, so I'm hoping someone who's followed it can give me the thumbnail sketch on screen uniformity, "flash lighting", edge light bleeding etc. S&V review says this model was a big step forward in alleviating these issues... FWIW, I've owned a Sammy 6500 edge lit for a couple years. The slight "cloudiness" is somewhat tolerable, but the flash lighting is something I won't live with any more in my new HDTV. Has the local dimming feature made this tolerable? Is there another model (or manufacturer) someone wants to suggest that doesn't have these issues? TIA.

Anyone? (I'm trying to decide between the 65F8000 and the Sony KDL65W850A with regard to screen uniformity)

I answered earlier. See Post # 4960. I can go more in-depth if you'd like.

post #4970 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

Anyone who is familiar with calibrating, I need help adjusting my white balance by eye.

I'm using the built in Expert Pattern 1. This white balance is incorporating the contrast ratio increase trick mentioned a few pages ago. It's much cooler than what I was using before but the linearity in the grey is uncanny. It's just pure, unadulterated grey. It looks great when watching content although a bit cooler than what I'm used to. How warm should the grey scale be? Should there be a noticeable reddish hue to the grey or should it just be plain old grey with no warm/cool tone to it? I'm using color tone Warm2 by the way.

You can't adjust the white balance by eye, don't waste your time. You need a meter and software. 'Warm 2' will be the most accurate option out of the box (closest to D6500.)

post #4971 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 PM

SugarSync? So this set comes with bloat ware? Anyway, just got the set. It arrived quite chilled; it's about 28F right now. By the time I got it unpacked most of the screen was clouded with condensation, so I won't be powering it up for awhile...probably a day or two. But OMG, is this thing a gorgeous piece of eye candy! The .2" bezel vs. the S1 plasma's 2" is striking. Hope the pq is just as impressive!

Hey, mjmbond, I don't know how much faith you put in "professional" online reviews, but CNET claims the W900A picture is only a tick better than the F8000. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55f8000/4505-6482_7-35576107.html
post #4972 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

You can't adjust the white balance by eye, don't waste your time. You need a meter and software. 'Warm 2' will be the most accurate option out of the box (closest to D6500.)

You'd be genuinely surprised how linear your eye and Expert Pattern 1 can get the grey scale. It was very obvious that my higher end had a red bias while the lower end did not, I was able to neutralize the bias and it's very linear now. Experimenting with the balance made the grey scale bias quite obvious. I learned a lot just by toying with the balance. The linearity is near perfect albeit a bit cooler than what I'm used to watching. The linearity alone makes the picture look much more consistent, almost like looking through a window now. As cliche as it sounds but it looks much much much more realistic. Even though the subtle warmth seems to be gone, it looks very true to life. And of course I am using Warm2, which everyone should.

I'll try to take some pictures later tonight of the default grey scale vs my last grey scale vs the one I'm using now. Looking at Expert Pattern 1 makes it quite obvious of the green/red bias at different spots on the grey scale. Perhaps my eye is just not good at spotting blue bias but right now the grey scale looks impeccable. Way better with no visible green or red bias.
post #4973 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 PM

I just have to ask, DRN94, since I've seen it reported at more than one site that the Movie mode's grayscale and color DEs right out of the box are under 3, imperceptible to the human eye (3.34 and 1.5 respectively) why are you attempting to improve on that?
post #4974 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Well, the TV gets delivered tomorrow. 1230-230. You'd think I would be more excited but for some reason I really am not. I feel like this is just going to be another disappointment lol. Oh well. Only time will tell.
post #4975 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 PM

So...you were forced to buy it? Sorry, don't get it.
post #4976 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 07:35 PM

Lol no one forced me. Just already returned 2 other TVs that I thought I would like. Just want a good one that's all. Hope this is it!
post #4977 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Liked: 13
Mine will be in tomorrow also. I'm taking the afternoon off of work to wait for it.

Got the free-ish soundbar today. Opted for the 550 model so cost me $100 out of pocket. Sound is very good for its size, but I'm gonna keep it in the bedroom and leave the surround sound in the living room with the new TV.

It's like Xmas in February!

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.
post #4978 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Oh yeah, that "only wanting only the best" thing. I understand. I refer to it as "having good taste". wink.gif Hope you're pleasantly surprised by its pq!!
post #4979 of 7872 Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

I just have to ask, DRN94, since I've seen it reported at more than one site that the Movie mode's grayscale and color DEs right out of the box are under 3, imperceptible to the human eye (3.34 and 1.5 respectively) why are you attempting to improve on that?

Yes, movie mode's white balance is superb out of the box. Standard mode, however, is rather awful once you switch it over to Warm 2. And I was able to do an alternating comparison of the default movie mode and the standard mode with the adjustments I've made and it's identical accept the it is a much cooler white on Standard. I've tried getting a warmer hue on standard but it's just resulted in noticeable red and/or green deviations around the mid and high grey range while the peak white remains very cool temperatured. Perhaps Standard is just naturally cooler than movie mode?
post #4980 of 7872 Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Anyway, just got the set. It arrived quite chilled; it's about 28F right now. By the time I got it unpacked most of the screen was clouded with condensation, so I won't be powering it up for awhile...probably a day or two.

Mine arrived icy to the touch, but no surprise there because of where I'm located. I assembled and attached the Klingon battlesword stand, put the TV on my cabinet, and then let it sit for a few hours until it hit room temperature before flipping it on. No condensation on mine, or I would have definitely waited longer, so good call on that, and an important point for people expecting theirs soon.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page