AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 857 participants last post by  sdpackers 
#1 · (Edited)
#4,428 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow201  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4410#post_24279685

Hi F8000 fans from Toronto,

Picked up a 60 incher a week ago, and loving it so far ...knock on wood !!!

My panel is a TH01, I'm not so deep into calib as a lot of you guys. Basically turned off the "effects", contrast and color were a little high,

...doing minor adjustments here and there as I go on ...great picture !

Works great with a Synology NAS, so far streams flawlessly over WiFi. Kind of a pain it doesn't do proper FF / RW with mkvs ...can swipe the remote pad

for some seconds, but limited.

Apps work fine, browser works great with the Logitech K400 keyboard ...wish all apps worked with the keyboard !

Yes ! Remember this is not through software but via PSIP of each channel, when you press guide, each channel has to be scanned to pick up it's guide info. This is the same with my other TVs.

I also run a Synology NAS.  Yeah, flawless.  As far as FF / RW, I dont like the smart pad remote.  Pad too sensitive.  Mine also came with a full remote but it is junk.  I bought this one, works great, pause, FF, RW

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099CHEAY/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, for typing, like login/password, the keyboard works, no ?  Been awhile since I used.

#4,430 ·
I just saw the movie "how to train your dragon" in 3d on blu and all I got to say is WOW. Just WOW!

The black was true black on the dragon and the scene movements of the dragons flying and fighting were just amazing!

The movie rocks and the tv handles it like a pro!

Wow!

#4,431 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4410#post_24280186

I just saw the movie "how to train your dragon" in 3d on blu and all I got to say is WOW. Just WOW!

The black was true black on the dragon and the scene movements of the dragons flying and fighting were just amazing!

The movie rocks and the tv handles it like a pro!

Wow!

I feel like the Smart LED dimming is more aggressive since the 1118 update. I'm watching Heat and the night scenes have incredibly deep blacks while maintaining the bright areas. Very impressive to see. The color accuracy on the F8000 really makes these older films shine. Glad you're equally impressed by the F8000 as I am!

#4,432 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4410#post_24280411

I feel like the Smart LED dimming is more aggressive since the 1118 update. I'm watching Heat and the night scenes have incredibly deep blacks while maintaining the bright areas. Very impressive to see. The color accuracy on the F8000 really makes these older films shine. Glad you're equally impressed by the F8000 as I am!

Yes, I love the F8000. Money well spent!

Now, if only they (Samsung) could get more apps in their app store. That is my only negative. Might have to get a roku 3 to get more apps. lol.

#4,433 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4410#post_24280411

I should go update and see. I've noticed leakage with the lights off during a lot of dark films. Riddick was especially bad. It's perfectly fine with the lights on, though.

#4,434 ·
Got my 65 in a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. The picture is superb using buzz's settings (thanks!). Since it arrived, I have basically had it directly connected to the STB (ATT UVerse) and blu ray player (LG) and now I am working on getting everything running through my Onkyo 717. Which is where I have run in to questions.

i have run 2 HDMI connections (1 each) from the STB and BR to the receiver and 1 output HDMI from the receiver to the TV. All good for sound and picture from cable and blu ray.

Trying to use the smart apps HBO go specifically I get the correct picture but the STB sound. I have an optical cable from the TV to the receiver, but still get the STB sound.

So, how should I be connecting so that I can get STB, BR, and smart apps sound thru the Onkyo? I have assigned the optical in to the STB on the receiver.

BTW I would like to continue using my Harmony One remote to control everything as my wife is REALLY not willing to learn a whole new remote scheme.

#4,436 ·
excellent pictures. You didn't remove the light from the samsung logo? I went to the menu and got rid of that light.

#4,437 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4400_100#post_24280982

Just felt like posting some pictures of flesh tones. The amount of detail on faces is exquisitely displayed on the F8000. And the skin tones are very convincing and just right without the orange/red sun burn effect on over saturated TVs.

Nice. Is this a blue ray playing?

#4,438 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4400_100#post_24280982

Just felt like posting some pictures of flesh tones. The amount of detail on faces is exquisitely displayed on the F8000. And the skin tones are very convincing and just right without the orange/red sun burn effect on over saturated TVs.

Wow...that looks SICK!

#4,439 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4400_100#post_24275699

Not even Samsung knows.

My Lumia 925's camera can't properly capture the TV's black level performance. I will say with confidence that night raid scene in Zero Dark Thirty looks incredible on the F8000. Even with the backlight maxed out, the Smart LED feature produces a practically pitch black level performance while maintaining amazing detail and contrast. I'm not sure what tier Vizio you had but the F8000 isn't considered one of the best LED televisions available for no reason.

I have no flashlighting or any issues what so ever on my F8000. The light uniformity is very homogeneous on the F8000. It makes dark scenes like Zero Dark Thirty really shine. I can say with absolute confidence that you will not be disappointed in the F8000's uniformity or black level performance. Just be sure to turn on Smart LED to bring out the best of the F8000.

I agree as well

I brough home a 65F8000 a month ago before I bought the 65ZT60 and the F8000 was every bit as impressive as DRN94 is claiming. It was sick.

I ended up with the ZT60 because black levels did worsen slightly off angle....I like to sit in different areas of the room when watching rooms so off angle viewing was important for me

#4,440 ·
I have another piece of the puzzel to add to the f8000 lag issue.

Maybe those still suffering from higher lag are playing 720p games that are upscaled to 1080? And the additonal upscaling adds more lag.

Right now im playing PS4 battlefield and ghosts. Battle field if i remeber correctly is 980p so theres very little scaling and ghosts is 1080p. The PS4 plays amazingly on the F8000. And regardless of what numbers people are quoting, gaming on it is extremely good. You cant come first on ghosts every match if your input lag is not good! The F8000 As low lag almost indistinguishable to my benqw1070 & sonyHW50es projector which are proven gamer displays.

I actually bumped into a forum thread where owners confirmed the input lag was fixed, i would post it here but cant remeber where i read it.

Since the firware fixed the lag i have disabled the auto update function on this TV in the fear future update may "break its input" it again.

#4,441 ·
Hi guys I have few questions and concerns:

I have a model 55F8000 and I'm watching bluray rips

over my external hdd directly to tv.

I'm on firmware ver. 1111 and it asked me to update to 1113.3

I'm reading all over forum that many people have all sort of problems with

new firmware so I'm a bit skeptic to update it because everything is fine

now with picture quality and smart hub... so my first question:

1. does anybody know what new fw updates?

I've found some article about CINAVIA that is coming to TV's and mobile phones
http://www.myce.com/news/cinavia-copy-protection-now-also-in-mobile-phones-tvs-and-more-69591/

so I'm a bit scared that someday in new fw, samsung will implement CINAVIA and we all will be

screwed, I'm already screwed with my samsung home cinema, model is HT-E5550 that have CINAVIA,

and on my PC the picture is not very good like on samsung's tv built in player, so my second question is:

2. can we know somehow what are the updating and does anybody have problems with ther rips on new fw?

#4,443 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4410#post_24281246

excellent pictures. You didn't remove the light from the samsung logo? I went to the menu and got rid of that light.

I rather like the little Samsung logo light. It doesn't distract me and I think it looks cool
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboy1  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24281333

Nice. Is this a blue ray playing?

Yes. I can only wish TV providers would deliver BluRay like picture quality though. Maybe when more adopters get 4K, TV providers will up the bitrates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24281645

I agree as well

I brough home a 65F8000 a month ago before I bought the 65ZT60 and the F8000 was every bit as impressive as DRN94 is claiming. It was sick.

I ended up with the ZT60 because black levels did worsen slightly off angle....I like to sit in different areas of the room when watching rooms so off angle viewing was important for me

Viewing angles can be a bit annoying when I'm at my desk but if I'm watching with my full attention, I'm always dead center on the couch. I can see the appeal of the plasma but my bright living room and fear of IR from gaming made it a no go for me. I usually have some ambient bias light at night so the black level on the F8000 is almost always impressive.

But anyways, glad to see you've found the TV that best fits your viewing!

#4,444 ·
Somewhat limited viewing angle is the only issue I've found with this TV. But the only other TV I considered buying (a Sony LCD) was about the same in this regard. I rarely have a large group of people watching, so it's really not a problem.

Concerning updating the firmware, does it reset some or all settings to default? Should I record my settings before updating?

#4,445 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoid  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24282289

Somewhat limited viewing angle is the only issue I've found with this TV. But the only other TV I considered buying (a Sony LCD) was about the same in this regard. I rarely have a large group of people watching, so it's really not a problem.

Concerning updating the firmware, does it reset some or all settings to default? Should I record my settings before updating?

I always keep handy any changes I did to the tv so that if after an update, I notice something different, I go back to my notes and make adjustments.

#4,446 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4400_100#post_24282060

I rather like the little Samsung logo light. It doesn't distract me and I think it looks cool
lol

Yes. I can only wish TV providers would deliver BluRay like picture quality though. Maybe when more adopters get 4K, TV providers will up the bitrates.

Viewing angles can be a bit annoying when I'm at my desk but if I'm watching with my full attention, I'm always dead center on the couch. I can see the appeal of the plasma but my bright living room and fear of IR from gaming made it a no go for me. I usually have some ambient bias light at night so the black level on the F8000 is almost always impressive.

But anyways, glad to see you've found the TV that best fits your viewing!

When i was dead center the picture quality was phenomenal.....If I had a different room arrangement I would most likely always be sitting dead center and might have considered keeping it...

Oh and back light will definately make the blacks appear as deep as a kuro or ZT60....Easily. It would even mask out the slight flashlighting in super bright scenes

#4,449 ·
#4,450 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24283191

anyone want to speculate on the picture quality of the F8000 compared to the full led array of Vizio
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/01/vizio-announces-p-series-ultra-hd-full-array-led-smart-tv-range/

They are potential game-changers with the reported tech specs at very low prices. I would not be buying a TV until the reviews on these babies come in, particularly the M and P series. The E series is already available at some Costcos.

#4,451 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4410#post_24280982

Calibrated to Buzz settings ?

#4,452 ·
PLEASE forgive me that I'm posting this without reading through this very long thread.

Recently, my TV (UN55F8000) alerted me to the 1117 update. I went ahead and let it do its thing. The only change I notice, unfortunately, is a negative one.

I don't have cable or normal TV. My only sources are a) Netflix and b) my Plex server. In both cases, when I turn on the tv and hit the Smart Hub button and choose one of the Apps mentioned, I get a network error. If I immediately retry, I'll still have the error 2 or 3 times. If, however, I wait a handful of seconds... then it will connect fine. So its like the first attempt (which always fails) "wakes up" the network and then subsequent attempts either fail (not enough time) or succeed.

This didn't happen prior to the update.

Interesting thing, Samsung disavows knowledge of this update. They list the most recent as 1116.1, and that update specifically lists correcting a wireless network issue.

I only got the TV in late December, so its more than likely (but I'm not sure) that I had 1116.1 after updating right away. So is it possible that 1117 re-introduced whatever fix 1116.1 brought?

How should I proceed now? Downgrade?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.