AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 857 participants last post by  sdpackers 
#1 · (Edited)
#4,453 ·
For those of you with Harmony remotes, are you able to program a button to turn Game Mode on and off? I hate that I have to go through like 4 menus to toggle it. Wish the non-smart remote had a dedicated button.

#4,454 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24283857

PLEASE forgive me that I'm posting this without reading through this very long thread.

Recently, my TV (UN55F8000) alerted me to the 1117 update. I went ahead and let it do its thing. The only change I notice, unfortunately, is a negative one.

I don't have cable or normal TV. My only sources are a) Netflix and b) my Plex server. In both cases, when I turn on the tv and hit the Smart Hub button and choose one of the Apps mentioned, I get a network error. If I immediately retry, I'll still have the error 2 or 3 times. If, however, I wait a handful of seconds... then it will connect fine. So its like the first attempt (which always fails) "wakes up" the network and then subsequent attempts either fail (not enough time) or succeed.

This didn't happen prior to the update.

Interesting thing, Samsung disavows knowledge of this update. They list the most recent as 1116.1, and that update specifically lists correcting a wireless network issue.

I only got the TV in late December, so its more than likely (but I'm not sure) that I had 1116.1 after updating right away. So is it possible that 1117 re-introduced whatever fix 1116.1 brought?

How should I proceed now? Downgrade?

Thanks.

You could try the 1118 update, or just wait a few seconds for the TV to connect to the internet before going into the Smart Hub. It doesn't sound like a huge inconvenience.

#4,455 ·
Well, that doesn't work. It doesn't "try" to connect until I do something. I tried that... waited 5 minutes, then clicked Plex... nope. So it is annoying. Guaranteed 100% to have an error, then I have to wait a count of 5, then its good. End of the world? No, certainly not... but this is supposed to be a high end tv, so I think I'm within reason for wanting it fixed.

So if 1116.1 is the only one showing, how do I get 1118? (i'll try now to find that on my own)

#4,456 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24284130

Well, that doesn't work. It doesn't "try" to connect until I do something. I tried that... waited 5 minutes, then clicked Plex... nope. So it is annoying. Guaranteed 100% to have an error, then I have to wait a count of 5, then its good. End of the world? No, certainly not... but this is supposed to be a high end tv, so I think I'm within reason for wanting it fixed.

So if 1116.1 is the only one showing, how do I get 1118? (i'll try now to find that on my own)

Interesting I noticed this, I went to a recently played file under my smart hub window and it said 'failed to connect to network'. When I manually when into look at my DLNA, it worked just fine though. So that one error could be unrelated to what you are experiencing. Have you tried going onto your router and 'forgetting' the TV and also forgetting it on the TV? Maybe if it was assigned a new IP, it could help? Wouldn't hurt to unplug the router for 2 mins, and same with TV either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24283864

For those of you with Harmony remotes, are you able to program a button to turn Game Mode on and off? I hate that I have to go through like 4 menus to toggle it. Wish the non-smart remote had a dedicated button.

Nope, a few of us with harmony remotes have discussed this and have yet to find a good solution. Samsung USED to have an 'emode' button on old remotes to turn on game mode...but that emode command does NOT turn game mode on. If you figure a solution, please share.

#4,457 ·
Does auto update work for anyone? I've had it set to auto update ever since I bought the set (months ago) and it has never updated automatically. I always have to push the update.

#4,458 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24283864

I have a Harmony one and can switch between my daytime and nightime/movie settings with a one button assigned to each ...

#4,459 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24285101

Does auto update work for anyone? I've had it set to auto update ever since I bought the set (months ago) and it has never updated automatically. I always have to push the update.

Isn't auto update a bad idea ? I thought I read where you could be in the middle of watching your fav program, then the TV turns itself off then

back on because it decided to do an update, ...true ? No, thanks, will stay with manual update.

#4,460 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow201  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24285538

Isn't auto update a bad idea ? I thought I read where you could be in the middle of watching your fav program, then the TV turns itself off then

back on because it decided to do an update, ...true ? No, thanks, will stay with manual update.

I agree. go with manual update all the time. You just have to check every once in a while.

#4,461 ·
An app question, ...most seem straight forward, then for fun I ran the AP News app ...ok, cool ...overlays the bottom of the tv with a a news ticker,

....good if the wifey is watching some soap
But how to close it ?!! Yes, I can turn the TV off, then on, but seems somewhat harsh. Is there

another way to close the app ? (I only have the track pad remote) ..thanks !

#4,462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4410#post_24280982

Just felt like posting some pictures of flesh tones. The amount of detail on faces is exquisitely displayed on the F8000. And the skin tones are very convincing and just right without the orange/red sun burn effect on over saturated TVs.

What settings are you using to get such great color

#4,463 ·

Just curious, i seem to like the picture (tweaked somewhat) in dynamic mode...it seems most people are adjusting their picture in movie mode or standard..does anyone have their set in dynamic?  If so, what settings are you running?  I happen to really enjoy the soap opera effect, most people dont, am I the only onet that happens to love it?  I ran the Disney WOW calibration on dynamic, and the picture looks ridiculously amazing.  If anyone can give me an insights or tips, I would greatly appreciate it.

#4,465 ·
After updating to ver.1118, I no longer can stream music from my wireless laptop or my ethernet connected PC.
. It shows both computers on the TV but when I choose either of them, it says: "Request cannot be completed. MEDIA PLAY will be return to the main screen" . (Yes...it actually says will "be return" to the... ugh). I can stream to my Yamaha receiver with no problems. So it's not a problem on my end. Resetting the Hub didn't work.

Anyone else getting this?

#4,466 ·
OK, I was having that problem (see above) with not being able to connect to the network. I suspected it might have had to do with the TV updating to 1117.

I don't know where you guys are getting 1118 from ... mine is at 1117 and doesn't see any new update. This update only became available a couple of weeks ago. I do have auto update enabled, and no it doesn't just shut off in the middle of watching.... it asks you what you want to do. Anyway, I updated to 1117 (there is no 1118 according to my TV and Samsung site only shows 1116.1) and saw NO difference other than my network issue.

I downgraded to 1116.1 and my issue is resolved.

The notes for 1116.1 specifically states it resolves a wireless network issue (no further details). I wonder if they inadvertently re-introduced into 1117 whatever bug 1116.1 fixed.

#4,467 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24287375

I don't know where you guys are getting 1118 from ... mine is at 1117 and doesn't see any new update. This update only became available a couple of weeks ago. I do have auto update enabled, and no it doesn't just shut off in the middle of watching.... it asks you what you want to do. Anyway, I updated to 1117 (there is no 1118 according to my TV and Samsung site only shows 1116.1) and saw NO difference other than my network issue.

A couple of days ago I checked the update section on my TV and there it was...ver.1118. I downloaded it. Stupid of me. I should of waited and see if it causes any problems. I won't do that again....that's for sure.

#4,468 ·
I installed version 1118 yesterday and haven't noticed much of a difference compared to 1117. The upgrade process didn't change any of my settings, and I don't use any of the Smart TV features. At one point after the upgrade, I got a notification on screen that promoted an app and offered to install it. I hadn't seen this happen during my prior two weeks of owning the TV, so I don't know if this was something new. I dismissed the notification.

#4,469 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24287375

OK, I was having that problem (see above) with not being able to connect to the network. I suspected it might have had to do with the TV updating to 1117.

The notes for 1116.1 specifically states it resolves a wireless network issue (no further details). I wonder if they inadvertently re-introduced into 1117 whatever bug 1116.1 fixed.
I just the other day updated with 1117.  I don't have any network issues.  My TV is in the network wireless and I can still get to my NAS on the network.

I also do not see a 1118 available on my TV.

#4,470 ·

Quote:

You can downgrade? I thought we were locked into upgrading only unless you did some very complex steps to downgrade. How did you downgrade?

#4,473 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24287795

Complicated? I just downloaded the file from Samsung and followed their instructions.
On my Samsung A850, I just downloaded it and put it on a thumb drive. I was under the impression downgrading is no longer possible as many ES8000 owners lost their "smart led" option in an upgrade and couldn't get it back?

#4,474 ·
Beats me. I've never seen any electronics that uses flash firmware that can't arbitrarily be flashed with whatever the user wants. I've been programming for a long time, and I can't (off the top of my head) even conceive of how you'd program the bootloader to reject an older firmware... let alone "why" you'd ever do that.

#4,475 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrall  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24287180

Just curious, i seem to like the picture (tweaked somewhat) in dynamic mode...it seems most people are adjusting their picture in movie mode or standard..does anyone have their set in dynamic?  If so, what settings are you running?  I happen to really enjoy the soap opera effect, most people dont, am I the only onet that happens to love it?  I ran the Disney WOW calibration on dynamic, and the picture looks ridiculously amazing.  If anyone can give me an insights or tips, I would greatly appreciate it.

For sports, I really like the soap opera effect. What are the best settings to achieve the most SOE

#4,476 ·
Hey folks, I've been studying 2014 models but may need to buy before some are out. This model is a great price right now, and Im sure it will be in February/March as well.

I usually buy at end of life cycle because you never know with displays, was wondering a few things about this display as a previous 2011 8000 series owner:

AMP was slightly broken on that display, if you went much higher than low settings it would stutter. This was unlike previous years where AMP was pretty awesome. How is AMP on this display?

I see to get 1200 lines of motion rez you do not need AMP, which is pretty awesome if you ask me, I assume its a 240hz with a scanning back light or something?

View angle... I sit 12.5 feet away, slightly off center. Center is an end table that separates our chairs, so sitting down and looking forward Im staring directly at the right 1/4 of the display. Will there be any fidelity loss?

Do I understand correctly that this displays improved micro dimming allows you to turn on a feature for movies that blackens the letterbox bars (Cinema Black)? If so thats outstanding.

I do not really care about smart tv's or any of that, not even 3D. Just like good PQ with good video processing (24p support) etc. I do not mind motion smoothing is its subtle, but not sure Id need to turn AMP on with this set since its a 240hz refresh and has 1200 lines of motion rez with the LED Clear Motion on.

It also seems like Standard on the Smart LED setting was the way to go?

Thanks.

#4,477 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24289176

AMP was slightly broken on that display, if you went much higher than low settings it would stutter. This was unlike previous years where AMP was pretty awesome. How is AMP on this display?

AMP works well on "Clear" which adds a minimal (almost undetectable) amount of SOE. I do not care for the other settings (including Custom), but I have no complaints about Clear and use it for 100% of my viewing.
Quote:
View angle... I sit 12.5 feet away, slightly off center. Center is an end table that separates our chairs, so sitting down and looking forward Im staring directly at the right 1/4 of the display. Will there be any fidelity loss?

I think you'll be fine as long as you're within the width of the screen (or just slightly outside the edge). If I move 1-2 feet past the edge of the screen I start to notice a little drop off, but if you're lined up inside the edge of the screen you should have nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Do I understand correctly that this displays improved micro dimming allows you to turn on a feature for movies that blackens the letterbox bars (Cinema Black)? If so thats outstanding.

Yep - works well.
Quote:
It also seems like Standard on the Smart LED setting was the way to go?

Many (including me) use Standard. Some like Low. I don't notice a huge difference either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.