AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 857 participants last post by  sdpackers 
#1 · (Edited)
#4,478 ·
Awesome.

Been trying to narrow things down for 2013 or 2014.

F8000 was excellent, so is the Sony W850a just looking at Cnet, but it seems the Samsung offers better overall video processing and calibration control.

#4,479 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24289176

I usually buy at end of life cycle because you never know with displays, was wondering a few things about this display as a previous 2011 8000 series owner:

I thought the 8000 was new 2013 model.  Didn't think they were around in 2011, or 12...

Anyway, I love my 2013 65F8000.  Saw you got nother response already in your questions so I wont elaborate.

I will say, black levels on it are very nice.  Rivaling plasma, almost.

#4,481 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout99  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24289814

I thought the 8000 was new 2013 model.  Didn't think they were around in 2011, or 12...

Anyway, I love my 2013 65F8000.  Saw you got nother response already in your questions so I wont elaborate.

I will say, black levels on it are very nice.  Rivaling plasma, almost.

8000 has been around for awhile. It's the "F" that makes it a 2013 model. In years past they had the D8000, ES8000, etc.

#4,482 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24289839

8000 has been around for awhile. It's the "F" that makes it a 2013 model. In years past they had the D8000, ES8000, etc.

Yepp, I think the 8000 has mostly been the flagship in plasma and LCD.

Didnt you, or dont you have a plasma too?

#4,483 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24289846

Yepp, I think the 8000 has mostly been the flagship in plasma and LCD.

Didnt you, or dont you have a plasma too?

I've owned several plasmas over the years (most recently the Panasonic VT30) but sold my last plasma before moving back to CO from NYC nearly a year ago. I live at 7000 ft and Panasonic recently de-rated the altitude rating for their 2012-2013 plasmas to around 7000 ft (down from over 9000 ft in previous years), so I decided to go with LCD this time around. I was never really happy with the brightness level of my previous plasmas in the daytime or the amount of heat or buzzing they produced. Overall, I enjoy the F8000 more than any other display I've owned. The only thing I have to complain about with my F8000 is a little vertical banding which is most noticeable during panning shots. I tried 2 different 65" F8000 displays and they both had it. I kept the one which seemed slightly better and returned the other. If not for the minor banding, I'd be 100% satisfied and have no reason to contemplate upgrading for several years. Still a happy F8000 owner however.

#4,484 ·
Thanks, I thought so.

Im really wanting to get into 70"+, so studying LCD's over the last month has been a chore. I knew Samsung and Panny plasma well, LCD's are a minefield...

Im afraid the 75" 8000 this year or whatever it will be is one pricey sucka.

#4,485 ·
Id love the 78" 2014 model here:

"UNH8000 series: Curved 1080p With the same real local dimming found on the 4K models, the successor to our favorite LED TV of 2013 is almost the same as last year. Except it's curved. We're already wishing for Samsung to announce a flat version too.

Sizes: 78, 65, and 55 inches

First availability: April

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-35303_1-57616606/samsungs-ces-2014-tvs-curved-and-4k-leds-but-no-new-oled-or-plasma/#ixzz2rvp22lmJ "

But like I said, Im not confident in its pricing considering where this 2013 8000 started.

Does Samsung make their own panels? Thats another thing Im seeing, its crazy how many different suppliers one company gets a panel from, depending on the size.

#4,486 ·
So far after installing 1118 I see no differences and can still stream music from my laptop. To update to 1118 I just went to "update" and it found it. (that was 3 days ago) I did the full upgrade today.(10 mins) FWIW I have had auto update selected since day one, but it never updated by itself.

Still wonder about picture settings. I haven't done much w/ the settings yet (spare the Auto Motion) and wondered if :

A)Buzz's settings are still viable w/ all the updates in between then and now.

B)Go w/ Cnet's (*see below) that seem more comprehensive & slightly newer (no offense Buzz
)

C)Go w/ updated Buzz's settings that I missed in the thread.

All comments appreciated.

*Cnet settings:
--Picture menu

Mode: Movie

Backlight: 7

Contrast: 95

Brightness: 45

Sharpness: 0

Color: 50

Tint: G50/R50

Picture Size submenu:

Picture Size: Screen Fit

Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

PIP: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:

Dynamic contrast: Off

Black tone: Off

Flesh tone: 0

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color space: Custom

White Balance: [see below]

10p White Balance: On

Gamma: +1

Expert Pattern: Off

Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Black Enhancer: Off

Color Space submenu:

Color Space: Custom

Red: Red 46, Green 0, Blue 1

Green: Red 4, Green 56, Blue 2

Blue: Red 3, Green 0, Blue 50

Yellow: Red 50, Green 50, Blue 2

Cyan: Red 6, Green 52, Blue 52

Magenta: Red 48, Green 0, Blue 50

White balance submenu:

R-Offset: 25

G-Offset: 26

B-Offset: 25

R-Gain: 22

G-Gain: 25

B-Gain: 26

10p White Balance submenu:

Interval 1: Red -1, Green 0, Blue 0

Interval 2: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0

Interval 3: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0

Interval 4: Red +3, Green 0, Blue 0

Interval 5: Red +1, Green -1, Blue 0

Interval 6: Red 0, Green -2, Blue -1

Interval 7: Red 0, Green -2, Blue 0

Interval 8: Red -1, Green -2, Blue -1

Interval 9: Red 0, Green -1, Blue 0

Interval 10: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0

Picture options submenu

Color tone: Warm2

Digital Clean View: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]

Film mode: Auto 1

Auto Motion Plus: Custom

Smart LED: Standard

Cinema Black: On

Auto Motion Plus submenu:

Blur reduction: 10

Judder reduction: 0

LED Clear Motion: On

-- System menu

Eco Solution submenu:

Energy Saving: Off

Eco Sensor: Off

[others N/A]

Note: This post was edited by its original author Corrected typo for "Cinema Black" setting; "On" is the correct setting. on 07/08/2013 at 6:53 AM PT

#4,487 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrobn26  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24290101

Still wonder about picture settings. I haven't done much w/ the settings yet (spare the Auto Motion) and wondered if :

A)Buzz's settings are still viable w/ all the updates in between then and now.

B)Go w/ Cnet's (*see below) that seem more comprehensive & slightly newer (no offense Buzz
)

C)Go w/ updated Buzz's settings that I missed in the thread.

All comments appreciated.

Since you said all comments appreciated...

Personally, I would never reuse someone else's white balance and color management settings (not the main Color control setting - I'm talking about the custom color settings). Those items need to be adjusted with a meter and there is too much variability from display to display. For example, with my i1 Display Pro meter and Calman, the white balance and CMS settings on my display are significantly different than Buzz's or CNET's settings. If you lined up several F8000 displays next to each other, I'm guessing this would be the case for all of them - particularly if we're talking about different sizes and different panel versions (TS01, TS02, etc).

Here are my calibrated settings from my 65" F8000. You could always try each person's settings and see which one looks the best on YOUR display. Nowhere near as good as getting a meter though!

Picture Mode: Standard (I have calibrated both Standard and Movie modes to look almost identical to each other but slightly prefer Standard mode overall)

Backlight = 6-10 (measures 45-70 fL - I use "6" for viewing movies in a dark room with a dim bias light and "10" for all other times)

Contrast = 90

Brightness = 45

Sharpness = 5

Color = 50

Tint = 50/50

Picture Size: Screen Fit

Picture Options Menu:

Color Tone: Warm 2

Digital Clean View: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

Film Mode: Auto 2 (Auto 1 causes jaggies on many of the news/weather tickers for the stations in my area)

AMP: Clear (I personally do not care for any other AMP setting, including any of the Custom settings available)

Smart LED: Standard

Cinema Black: On

Advanced Settings Menu:

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space: Custom (Note: if you don't have a meter, you are probably better off just leaving this set to Auto)

Red = 40R, 4G, 4B

Green = 25R, 43G, 16B

Blue = 0R, 15G, 35B

Yellow = 53R, 46G, 17B

Cyan = 14R, 47G, 47B

Magenta = 39R, 18G, 38B

White Balance (Note: these settings are ONLY valid on Standard Picture Mode - Movie mode requires different white balance settings)

Red Offset = 25

Green Offset = 25

Blue Offset = 24

Red Gain = 22

Green Gain = 25

Blue Gain = 16

Gamma: 0

#4,488 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24290410

Since you said all comments appreciated...

Personally, I would never reuse someone else's white balance and color management settings (not the main Color control setting - I'm talking about the custom color settings). Those items need to be adjusted with a meter and there is too much variability from display to display.

Exactly. That's why I'm not really interested in posting the picture settings I use that were in the photos I posted. It's just too panel to panel specific. And I put Color Space to Native which maps the colors to the TV's wider than Rec. 709 color gamut very well and it's the best option for people who don't have a meter. The white balance is the most important and it bugs the crap out of me when people mindlessly copy Buzz's or professional reviewers' settings thinking they're getting a calibrated picture.

What brought this to my attention was when I noticed my TV had a greenish hue on professional reviewers' settings and I knew this couldn't be right. After adjusting the 2 point white balance gain, the difference the white balance makes became very apparent and I was able to get the greenish hue out of the picture and now everything looks very neutral and fantastic. My F8000 at many times has an uncannily realistic and convincing picture. Much more satisfying to watch it with the neutral grey scale, wide color gamut, and warm 2 color temp. I feel like calibrating it with a meter would only shrink the color gamut and make a marginal difference in the grey scale. I'm happy with the settings I have because they're just right for my particular F8000 and my personal preferences.

#4,491 ·
I know this has been asked before (maybe even by me), but I'm not in the mood to dig through the backlog of pages... is there any difference between picture modes if the settings are exactly the same? I get that they're there so you can easily flip between them (like maybe have Standard set for bright daytime viewing and Movie for night), but I'm curious again if Samsung renders the image differently in each mode.

#4,492 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24292342

I know this has been asked before (maybe even by me), but I'm not in the mood to dig through the backlog of pages... is there any difference between picture modes if the settings are exactly the same? I get that they're there so you can easily flip between them (like maybe have Standard set for bright daytime viewing and Movie for night), but I'm curious again if Samsung renders the image differently in each mode.

Interesting you pointed this out. I had the exact same settings on my Standard and Movie mode and there was still a slight difference between the white balance. I was able to change the white balance gain to get Standard practically identical to Movie but the the white balance gain numbers were different. What I do now is have Standard as my max backlight 20 setting that I use during the day and when night time comes I'll just manually change it to Movie which has backlight at 8. They practically look identical except for the difference in back light.

#4,493 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24292355

Interesting you pointed this out. I had the exact same settings on my Standard and Movie mode and there was still a slight difference between the white balance. I was able to change the white balance gain to get Standard practically identical to Movie but the the white balance gain numbers were different. What I do now is have Standard as my max backlight 20 setting that I use during the day and when night time comes I'll just manually change it to Movie which has backlight at 8. They practically look identical except for the difference in back light.

Backlight at 20?! That's roughly 130 fL in Standard mode according to my meter! Most people use 60-70 fL in the daytime. Standard mode on my F8000 yields 70 fL of brightness on a 100 IRE white screen with the backlight set at "10".

I don't know how much you care, but I've heard that extremely high backlight settings can cause much more rapid wear and color drift of the LED bulbs. You may consider turning the backlight down a bit. Just trying to help.

#4,494 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24292774

Backlight at 20?! That's roughly 130 fL in Standard mode according to my meter! Most people use 60-70 fL in the daytime. Standard mode on my F8000 yields 70 fL of brightness on a 100 IRE white screen with the backlight set at "10".

I don't know how much you care, but I've heard that extremely high backlight settings can cause much more rapid wear and color drift of the LED bulbs. You may consider turning the backlight down a bit. Just trying to help.

I have huge glass window panes that let in a LOT of light during the day and more so this time of year due to the reflective snow. It's more satisfying for me to have the backlight maxed out because of this. Why have the brightest LED TV of 2013 and not actually experience the peak brightness?
And I have noticed a slight and subtle "hazy" effect to the color with the backlight maxed out but not anything that detracts from the overall impact of the picture quality.

#4,496 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24292774

I have always been like wOw at DNRs backlight preference at 20  LOL  But I guess personal preference so I never commented. 

I have lots of windows in my living room where the TV is.  During the day the most I go is like 12 on the backlight and that looks good.

At night 8, sometimes maybe 9 or 10.

#4,497 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4440#post_24283341

They are potential game-changers with the reported tech specs at very low prices. I would not be buying a TV until the reviews on these babies come in, particularly the M and P series. The E series is already available at some Costcos.

I was excited until I read the entire thread and found out that the P in not going to be a 3D TV. That is a deal breaker for me.

#4,498 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4470#post_24292355

Gotcha, thanks. But as far as you know, Samsung isn't doing anything different as far as black levels or micro dimming, etc differently between modes?

#4,499 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4500#post_24293025

Gotcha, thanks. But as far as you know, Samsung isn't doing anything different as far as black levels or micro dimming, etc differently between modes?

Not that I can tell. With equal backlight settings on both I can't see any noticeable differences in the black level although the peak white is ever so slightly higher on Standard it seems. It could just be due to the slightly cooler white temp on Standard making it appear slightly brighter. Micro dimming through Smart LED also appears to behave identically on both Standard and Movie.

#4,500 ·
Cool. Thanks, DRN. Gotta say...the longer I have this set, the more I love it. Took a while to get used to coming from Panny Plasma (was even regretting it at first), but I'm really enjoying it now.

#4,501 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom  /t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4500#post_24293106

Cool. Thanks, DRN. Gotta say...the longer I have this set, the more I love it. Took a while to get used to coming from Panny Plasma (was even regretting it at first), but I'm really enjoying it now.

No problem. I was considering the Panny ZT60 after reading all the rave reviews but I then started reading about the panel buzz and poor bright room performance and reconsidered. What steered you away from the Panny plasma to the Sammy LED?

#4,502 ·
Basically, someone offered to buy my ST30 for the same price I paid for it. Would've considered a VT60, but I had to stay at or under 46" -- the f8000 seemed like the best overall 46" set. Plus, I got it for $1429 tax free, couldn't pass that up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.