Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5401 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hmm.. I may have to stick with the W9 then or possibly look into a plasma for motion free gaming. I really want a Samsung though! :(. The 8500 would be ideal but that's way too expensive as if the 8000 wasn't expensive enough. I don't get why TV's offer motion options if they're not available for gaming, what's the point? If this Samsung offered those options in gaming I'd get it but as it stands it sounds like just the same as my W9 but with worse lag & worse colour.

Trust me the Live Colour really enhances the colours in gaming on the W9 (Example: makes the Caribbean sea in AC4 look a lush aqua blue rather than a dull greyish blue).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHill89 View Post

Hmm.. I may have to stick with the W9 then or possibly look into a plasma for motion free gaming. I really want a Samsung though! frown.gif . The 8500 would be ideal but that's way too expensive as if the 8000 wasn't expensive enough. I don't get why TV's offer motion options if they're not available for gaming, what's the point? If this Samsung offered those options in gaming I'd get it but as it stands it sounds like just the same as my W9 but with worse lag & worse colour.

Trust me the Live Colour really enhances the colours in gaming on the W9 (Example: makes the Caribbean sea in AC4 look a lush aqua blue rather than a dull greyish blue).

I'm sure the W9 should suit your proposes well. If you have a uniform W9 with no dead pixels, clouding, HDMI screen blotches, or horizontal finger bleed on the left and right side, or any of the other issues with the W9 then I'd keep the W9. You won't get a better experience for the price if the got the W9 on one of the clearance sales. The F8000 is great but so is the W9. You can't go wrong with either one.
post #5403 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I already have a W9 mate, its got exceptional low lag for gaming. Its not free from motion blur though & tbh I don't think theres a tv that isn't. Plasmas solve this but u have to weigh up if a blur free set is worth the high input lag. Also its worth mentioning how important sound is to gaming.

I wr playin KZ earlier using a sound bar, cranked the treble up & it sounds so much clearer & more visceral than the weak tv speakers (example: firing a machine gun). Too much bass though is overkill but never understate quality sound! smile.gif.
post #5404 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

Anti-Blur, Anti-Judder, and LED Clear Motion are not available to Game Mode unfortunately. But like I said, the native motion resolution is more than good enough to play competitive hardcore games.

I thought all that stuff is what contributes to lag, no? Isn't the point of Game Mode that it disables every video processing option that might introduce lag? As I mentioned upthread, I use the PC renaming trick instead of Game Mode, so that I have more audio options, which I need for the games I play.
post #5405 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM

to all the people out there with an 8000 led, do you regret your purchase vs plasma?

i am not hard core user, i don't need the best blacks or backlight or anything, i just want a great pic and a great tv

i am buying a 75" 6300 led for my office (need a big screen in that room) and was thinking about a plasma for the living room but i am thinking with fan issues and BI/IR issues, maybe i am better off with an led

i like sports and games and movies and regular tv and i think overall led is gonna be my best bet

other than hard core users or nit picking, will a regular user like me be happy with the 8000 led?

thanks

post #5406 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2014 View Post

to all the people out there with an 8000 led, do you regret your purchase vs plasma?

i am not hard core user, i don't need the best blacks or backlight or anything, i just want a great pic and a great tv

i am buying a 75" 6300 led for my office (need a big screen in that room) and was thinking about a plasma for the living room but i am thinking with fan issues and BI/IR issues, maybe i am better off with an led

i like sports and games and movies and regular tv and i think overall led is gonna be my best bet

other than hard core users or nit picking, will a regular user like me be happy with the 8000 led?

thanks

Can't answer for you, if you will be happy with the F8000.

Me, I love mine and have no regrets buying the F8000 over plasma.

In fact I replaced my 7 year old Panasonic plasma with my 65F8000.

Blacks are comparable and the colors and rest of PQ I think much better.  Granted my plasma was 7 years old.

post #5407 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

thanks

I am very happy with the F8000. I watched several olympic sport events and all looked great. Blu ray movies look great. 1080i TV shows look great.

3d is also very good.

As for gaming, I am not a gamer. Mostly for the kids and so far it is great.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #5408 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHill89 View Post

I already have a W9 mate, its got exceptional low lag for gaming. Its not free from motion blur though & tbh I don't think theres a tv that isn't. Plasmas solve this but u have to weigh up if a blur free set is worth the high input lag. Also its worth mentioning how important sound is to gaming.

I wr playin KZ earlier using a sound bar, cranked the treble up & it sounds so much clearer & more visceral than the weak tv speakers (example: firing a machine gun). Too much bass though is overkill but never understate quality sound! smile.gif.

What I meant to say was keep your W9 if its free from clouding/flashlighting/banding/etc. It's a great TV and you'll save money and headaches. A plasma would be nice for gaming, but you'll have to constantly worry about HUD/menu burn in or image retention. The heat and energy a plasma consumes is also a little to get used to coming from LED. Plasmas can also buzz and hum due to the tiny vibrations caused by the panel. For gaming you're better off trading motion resolution for low input lag and no image retention with an LED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosumer View Post

I thought all that stuff is what contributes to lag, no? Isn't the point of Game Mode that it disables every video processing option that might introduce lag? As I mentioned upthread, I use the PC renaming trick instead of Game Mode, so that I have more audio options, which I need for the games I play.

Well of course, lowest input lag is great. But if you could have the motion enhancers AND low input lag, then that'd be even better! biggrin.gif My own high speed camera input lag tests showed that PC mode was actually higher than Game Mode on firmware 1116 and 1117. Perhaps 1118 or 1119 have lowered PC Mode a little but I doubt it. The input lag has stayed consistent since the initial improvement back on firmware 1111 if I recall.

The only thing that will cause me to upgrade from the F8000 before OLED, it'd be another LED with a much lower black level, higher white level, motion enhancers with sub 20ms input lag, true 120hz input, 4K HDMI 2.0 support, higher color gamut, substantially better viewing angles, the list goes on. I don't think I'll ever be fully satisfied with my TV but that's the nature of the beast. If it's one of the best out there then I have little to complain about. The F8000 is fantastic for what it is.
post #5409 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

thanks

I own a 58" samsung plasma and I was convinced I was going to replace it with the 64F8500.
After viewing them side by side for a few days I could not find enough difference in PQ to make a decision based on that. My media room has optimal viewing angles and well controlled light, so the only thing I was concerned with was motion processing. I didn't see any any flaws in that regard and still haven't. So, to be honest, my decision came down to the slim bezel and sexy stand, plain and simple...
Now, hit me up in the fall during football season and I may change my tune, I sure hope not tho!
post #5410 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

The heat and energy a plasma consumes is also a little to get used to coming from LED. 

My electric bill is about $25 lower per month since I switch from my plasma to the F8000.

And I wont miss the heat come summer time.

post #5411 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 PM

By far, the most impactful setting is proper white balance. This will turn a cloudy, dull picture into a spectacular one. From out of the box, mine was waaaay off.
post #5412 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1 View Post

By far, the most impactful setting is proper white balance. This will turn a cloudy, dull picture into a spectacular one. From out of the box, mine was waaaay off.

Yep! Expert Pattern 1 makes getting a linear grey scale an easy task. I've been trying to emphasize the importance of adjusting the white balance and not taking professional reviewer's settings verbatim time and time again on this thread. White balance settings are unique to each and every panel and is the single most important setting to achieve the "looking-through-a-window" effect.
post #5413 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

thanks

As a former ZT60 owner I am quite happy with the F8000 although admittedly moreso now that I've been using it for awhile and don't recall exactly how good the picture was on my ZT60 D:

I find it annoying that AMP is basically a joke as it causes stutter but the TV is great, blacks are great, colors are great, etc..  The picture on my ZT60 I would have to say was better but my 8000 is dead silent, something my ZT60 wasn't and in fact I had a huge problem with it's fan noise.  Throw less heat output, less electricity usage, and not worrying about it pulling the wall down (40 vs what 110 lbs??) I'm very happy with my 8000. I also don't have to worry really at all about IR. Supposedly IR is much less of an issue these days but I didn't have to break in my 8000 for 100 hours on any D-Nice slides :D

post #5414 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJaa View Post

I find it annoying that AMP is basically a joke as it causes stutter 

AMP works fine on Clear, no stutter

AncientAlien likes this.
post #5415 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout99 View Post

+1

All the other AMP modes are terrible however. Good thing I enjoy Clear.
post #5416 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've heard this but when watching football when they kick the ball or throw it high in to the stands you can see it.  Basically any small object moving quickly past others seems to do this, or atleast on my TV.  For movies or normal TV shows though I would agree with you.

post #5417 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJaa View Post

I've heard this but when watching football when they kick the ball or throw it high in to the stands you can see it.  Basically any small object moving quickly past others seems to do this, or atleast on my TV.  For movies or normal TV shows though I would agree with you.

I have watched football, hockey, NBA, I don't see a problem at all with AMP on Clear.  Can't wiat for baseball season.

post #5418 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I have watched football, hockey, NBA, I don't see a problem at all with AMP on Clear.  Can't wiat for baseball season.

And I might add, watching the US vs Canada in the Olympics men's hockey semis today, almost looked like you are there in your seat in the stadium.

I think hockey really shines on the F8000.

post #5419 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

My color is also set at 40. I know my calibration disc suggests higher (around 48), but personally I find 48 over-saturated, especially faces, even on blu-ray. I have always liked natural color, without over-saturation, so I find 40 is perfect for me. At 40, color is fantastic, and flesh tones are very pleasing. It in no way looks under-saturated.
It may just come down to personal preference. My settings are based on Buzzard's with a few tweaks (I prefer warm1), but 50 is just too saturated for me. Some may like that look, but to me 40 provides very strong color and natural-looking flesh tones. I had the same thing with my old ES7500 - I never had it on 50 - it was just too saturated for me.

It's been ingrained in most of us that Mr. Lucas, THX, is the authority on what the best picture looks like. I can appreciate that, but unfortunately it leaves no room for personal preference, which viewing pleasure ultimately comes down to. I can live with the director's idea of a perfect picture for a few hours at the theater, but at home in everyday use, I want my best picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post

I have NEVER had an issue with burn-in or image retention on an LCD screen neither for TV or computer use. I would not worry at all unless you leave it on FOX news for a month straight without turning the TV off.

Right, the IR warning in the user manual is simply a disclaimer, a CYA denial of responsibility. Ok, where I work, a few 10yr. old 19" 4:3 CCFL LCD monitors that have the same image displayed many hours everyday have IR, but who out there with an LCD monitor has a Windows task bar that won't go away? Not me after 9 years of normal use of the one I just retired.

Quote:

I have yet to notice any motion blur on my set, so I'd say stay away only if you want to see an optimum picture from more than a few degrees off-center. Plasma still rules there.

Quote:

My electric bill is about $25 lower per month since I switch from my plasma to the F8000.
And I wont miss the heat come summer time.

I think your savings are from more than just the F8000. The cost of the Samsung aside, watching a 300W (.3kWh) plasma set for 8hrs/day at $.10/kWh costs only $7.20 a month. The power advantage of LED-LCD is insignificant, especially considering today's plasmas use only about 150W.
post #5420 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

I think your savings are from more than just the F8000. The cost of the Samsung aside, watching a 300W (.3kWh) plasma set for 8hrs/day at $.10/kWh costs only $7.20 a month. The power advantage of LED-LCD is insignificant, especially considering today's plasmas use only about 150W.

Well, one thought is if a seasonal rate changes, lowering.  But had my F8000 since Nov, already winter.  And if anything I have added more.  New AVR and watching everything in 5.1 surround.  So, AVR running, all speakers, sub.  Before I used a sound bar, not AVR.  And for what it is worth, my plasma was 5+ yrs old.  Maybe not so power efficient 

post #5421 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Well, one thought is if a seasonal rate changes, lowering.  But had my F8000 since Nov, already winter.  And if anything I have added more.  New AVR and watching everything in 5.1 surround.  So, AVR running, all speakers, sub.  Before I used a sound bar, not AVR.  And for what it is worth, my plasma was 5+ yrs old.  Maybe not so power efficient 

Ok, maybe I've had just a little too much to drink tonight and my calculation is off a bit, but me and Mr. Buddywiser think that's highly unlikely. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Cheers!
post #5422 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Ok, maybe I've had just a little too much to drink tonight and my calculation is off a bit, but me and Mr. Buddywiser think that's highly unlikely. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Cheers!

And, I gave my plasma to my nephew.  My sis says her electric bill up, didn't say how much.  Let me mull over it.  Nah  Let me have another drink, sans mulling 

post #5423 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I believe what you might be referring to has been an issue with these sets since the ES series last year. There was a lot of talk about it on the European site last year, and this year it has also been mentioned. It's a very narrow strip of pixels going around the entire perimeter of the panel that is dimmer than the rest of the panel - it looks like a defect, but every single set is made that way - it's how the panel is made. I don't know if it was a defect that they just chose to ignore, or if it's intentional, but every single set is the same way from what I understand. My ES last year was the same way.

Hey everyone. I was going through this thread to see if I could find anything on my faint white line going around the perimeter of my set and I found this on may 13 or so. Could the above be it? Does anyone else's set exhibit this? I really really don't want to exchange this set. Everything is perfect on this set except the thin white line.
post #5424 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Quote:

I believe what you might be referring to has been an issue with these sets since the ES series last year. There was a lot of talk about it on the European site last year, and this year it has also been mentioned. It's a very narrow strip of pixels going around the entire perimeter of the panel that is dimmer than the rest of the panel - it looks like a defect, but every single set is made that way - it's how the panel is made. I don't know if it was a defect that they just chose to ignore, or if it's intentional, but every single set is the same way from what I understand. My ES last year was the same way.

Hey everyone. I was going through this thread to see if I could find anything on my faint white line going around the perimeter of my set and I found this on may 13 or so. Could the above be it? Does anyone else's set exhibit this? I really really don't want to exchange this set. Everything is perfect on this set except the thin white line.
Did you post a pic of the white line so all could see it. I would like to and wow you have a lot of bad luck man.
post #5425 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 PM

Liked: 16
Hello everyone, I need your assistance.
I have a 3 day old Samsung UN65F8000 which I discovered this morning has a small cluster of tiny dots towards the bottom of the screen.
It almost looks like something dripped onto the inside portion of the screen.
Has anyone seen anything like this, I will include the photo that I took. It was difficult to get a good pic of it due to the reflection but hopefully you can see what I am talking about.
I thought at first it was a finger print smudge but I'm not so lucky for that to be the case..

I am outside of my 24hr return policy from the dealer I purchased it from which is a vendor for this forum.
I called and reported the issue to Samsung and the rep indicated they would most likely just replace the screen/panel which I really do not want to happen considering the amount of money I just spent
to buy it.

Can you please give me some advice on what I can do from here?

Thanks
post #5426 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockFan View Post

Hello everyone, I need your assistance.
I have a 3 day old Samsung UN65F8000 which I discovered this morning has a small cluster of tiny dots towards the bottom of the screen.
It almost looks like something dripped onto the inside portion of the screen.
Has anyone seen anything like this, I will include the photo that I took. It was difficult to get a good pic of it due to the reflection but hopefully you can see what I am talking about.
I thought at first it was a finger print smudge but I'm not so lucky for that to be the case..

I am outside of my 24hr return policy from the dealer I purchased it from which is a vendor for this forum.
I called and reported the issue to Samsung and the rep indicated they would most likely just replace the screen/panel which I really do not want to happen considering the amount of money I just spent
to buy it.

Can you please give me some advice on what I can do from here?

Thanks

Have you tried wiping it off with micro-fiber cloth?
post #5427 of 7844 Old 02-21-2014, 11:42 PM

Liked: 16
Yes, I have.
It is on the inside of the screen, it will not wipe off.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #5428 of 7844 Old 02-22-2014, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got my set today, tried CNET and Buzzi's settings and so far I am underwhelmed by the TV, maybe I'm just a plasma guy after all...

First off - I have no idea how everyone sets their contrast at 0, everything is super muddled for me, facial features detail all missing, borderline unwatchable unless I bump it into at least mid 30s. Is it possible that they tweaked the firmware defaults?

Also wanted to get some feedback on this panel, doesn't look like I did too well... is this potentially a warranty issue?

post #5429 of 7844 Old 02-22-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

Just got my set today, tried CNET and Buzzi's settings and so far I am underwhelmed by the TV, maybe I'm just a plasma guy after all...

First off - I have no idea how everyone sets their contrast at 0, everything is super muddled for me, facial features detail all missing, borderline unwatchable unless I bump it into at least mid 30s. Is it possible that they tweaked the firmware defaults?

Also wanted to get some feedback on this panel, doesn't look like I did too well... is this potentially a warranty issue?

Contrast at zero ?  I have mine at 93

Pictures can be deceiving but that panel doesn't look so good.

What is your backlight at ?

Do you have Smart LED on ?

post #5430 of 7844 Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

Nobody here has ever set their contrast to 0. That'd look like poop. Put your backlight under 10, use Smart LED on standard or high, and give your set a few days to break in. I noticed flashlighting on my set at first, but it drastically got better over time (maybe due to it breaking in, maybe me getting used to it, maybe the firmware updates improving it). Check for updates on your set, too.

Samsung UN46F8000 • Onkyo TX-NR727 • Onkyo 7.1 Speakers • Xbox One • Wii U
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page